Waiting for You

Waiting for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Is he alright?”

Seungkwan sighs. “What do you think, Wonwoo?” he responds. Wonwoo looks down.

“Yeah, that was a dumb question,” he mutters. “But seriously. It’s been a month, and he’s barely moved. He’s barely eating and that’s only when we force him to. He only sleeps when he gets so exhausted he can’t keep his eyes open.”

“Give him time,” he murmurs. He glances at the boy sitting on the couch from the table where he and Wonwoo are sitting. His eyes are fixated on the door with a look of longing and hope.

“He’s had time,” Wonwoo says sharply. “He can’t mope forever. The world has to keep going.” Seungkwan smacks him. “What? It’s true. You know that.” Seungkwan sighs, defeated.

“I know,” he whispers. “And it breaks my heart, but I can’t bear to tell him.” Wonwoo rolls his eyes. “One more day,” he pleads softly. “Give him one more day.”

“Alright,” Wonwoo responds. The two fix their gazes on Jihoon.

“One more day of waiting,” Seungkwan murmurs.

“One more day for him to hope,” Wonwoo whispers.

✯ ✮ ✯ ✮ ✯

“Jihoon,” Wonwoo says. The boy ignores him. “Jihoon.” Jihoon glances at him before turning to face the door again. “Jihoon,” Wonwoo says sharply. “Jihoon, look at me.”

“What is it?” Jihoon asks, turning to him.

“Why are you waiting?” Wonwoo asks.

“I’m waiting for Soonyoung,” Jihoon responds matter-of-factly.

“Jihoon, you know he’s not coming back,” Wonwoo whispers.

“He is,” Jihoon says forcefully. “He promised he would always come back.”

“He can’t,” Wonwoo says, heartbroken. “You know he can’t.”

“Yes, he will!” Jihoon responds loudly.

“He won’t!” Seungkwan shouts. Jihoon turns his gaze to him. There are tears in his eyes. “He’s not coming back, Jihoon. You know that. I know you do.”

“He’s coming back,” Jihoon insists.

“He’s dead!” he screams. “He’s dead, Jihoon! You know he is! Stop pretending he isn’t, stop pretending he’s going to walk through that door!” The tears are flowing down his cheeks and Jihoon's eyes glimmer with held-back tears. “Please,” he whispers. “Please stop doing this to yourself. I know you know he’s dead. Please stop waiting.”

“He has to come back,” Jihoon whispers, his voice shaking. “He promised. He promised he’d always be with me. He’s coming back, he has to.” Seungkwan turns away, wiping his tears away with his sweater sleeve.

“He’s dead, Jihoon,” Wonwoo whispers. “He’s gone. He’s not coming back.” The room is silent but for the sound of Seungkwan's soft sobs. The world is frozen.

“I know,” Jihoon whispers, breaking the spell. His tears surge forward. “I know.”

✯ ✮ ✯ ✮ ✯

Jihoon is sitting next to Soonyoung’s bed. “Please, please get the treatment,” Jihoon pleads, tears flowing down his cheeks.

“No,” Soonyoung responds firmly. “We’ve been over this. The answer is no.” Jihoon looks down. “I’m sorry, Jihoon.”

“How much longer do you have left?” Jihoon asks, his voice soft.

“A couple months, maybe,” Soonyoung responds. Jihoon looks at him and meets his eyes.

“I’ll stay with you,” Jihoon whispers. “Until you leave.”

“I won’t really leave you,” Soonyoung says, smiling. “I’ll always stay with you.” Jihoon rolls his eyes at the cheesy statement. “I love you,” Soonyoung says.

“Love you too,” Jihoon replies, smiling.

“Love you more,” Soonyoung responds. Jihoon rolls his eyes again.

“Love you most.”

✯ ✮ ✯ ✮ ✯

Jihoon is still sitting on the couch. Seungkwan and Wonwoo left him alon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter