From Paradise to Hell

Different

 

*Some emotional stuff up ahead #LetHakyeonbefree*

 

 

I woke up and checked my phone it was August 8th the first day of school. It was 7:30 when my mom walked in to confirm that I wasn’t going. With a nod of my head she glared and shook her head as she left. I sighed and rolled over to lay on my side. This is it I am beginning a new chapter in my life.  I smiled I am finally going to be allowed to do what I want to do. With that thought I texted Hongbin telling him the slight good news, and got up to get cereal. It was a bit awkward having to pass my mom in the kitchen, but I quickly got my cereal and left. I put my cereal down on my bedside table and grabbed my phone to watch some videos while I eat. Needless to say that entire day went by smoothly with the exception of the glares I would receive from my mom. I could care less as I opened Hongbin’s message that read  “Good you deserved to do what you want to do because it is your life not theirs.”  I smiled and typed my reply when my mom came in.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I’m  texting Hongbin.”

 

“You know maybe Hongbin isn’t a good influence on you.” I glared at her how could she say that to me.

 

“And you think you are?” She glared back at me from her position near the door.

 

“Hakyeon you have been behaving differently ever since you met him.”

 

“Well maybe because I finally have someone that I could truly be myself and makes me feel loved unlike my own family that abandoned me at the river.”

*flashback* I was so excited to be able to go floating for the first time since my neighbors always talked about how fun and beautiful it was. I got in the car with the rest of my family driving to the beginning of the river. Once there we unloaded all of the floaties. We then got whichever and walked to where the water was. I watched as my brother placed one down and got on. I did the same and it was quite scary, but the view was amazing. The water looked so clear under me.Once everyone was in we began paddling down towards the stream it was quite relaxing in the beginning until I saw the currents. I got scared at how strong they were. My uncle being the oldest and using a raft and oar went on it first. He didn’t even struggled as the water just easily carried him downstream. My cousins followed suit on their donut floaties. Then it was my brother and my other cousin, leaving me behind in fear. I never had a good history with currents, and as I approached I started getting scared. I was already close to the side where the hills were so if I were to go on the stream I would get smashed against it. I looked around and noticed there was a way to climb it so I paddled my way there. I managed to make it and lifted myself up. I walked on the little path it had and looked around to find anyway of getting back to our campsite. It was then that I realized I was stranded, The only way to get back was climbing the steep hill that had a dirt road where the security would drive along to ensure everyone was safe. Seeing how I didn’t have much of a choice I climbed the steep hill getting many splinters on my bare feet as well as dirt all over me. Once up I saw that the dirt path look liked it continued on for miles and as I was bare foot there was spikes everywhere. I wanted to cry from the pain on my feet to being downright terrified. I decided to go back down the hill gaining more spikes and cuts on my feet and legs. By this point I had abandoned my floaty in a bush when I was climbing the hill leaving going back in the water not in an option. As I wandered around trying to find another way out I heard laughing which sounded like my brother and cousin. So I walked to the sound to find an opening in the bush where I saw them.

 

“Inguk!!!” At the sound of his name my brother looked and stared at me.

 

“Hakyeon? What are you doing there?”

 

“I got scared by the current and got off the water please help me.”

 

“Just get back in.”

 

“I left my floaty in a bush it probably has a hole besides I am too scared to get back in”

 

“Why did you do that you are an idiot.” And with that he and my cousin left. I cried as I watched their figures disappear. How am I supposed to get back now. It felt like it was past an hour that I was stuck there until saw a chinese family come by and stopped to look at the shells in the water. To my luck they spoke english and had a boat. I tried to get their attention and they noticed me. They helped me down and took me to the other side of the river where the campgrounds were. I thanked them and walked down the path my feet were so numb from all the spikes that I didn’t even care when I walked over the rocks that were hot from the sun. There I saw my uncle that was supposed to take care of me when we went floating,

 

“Hakyeon! We have been looking for you! Oh do you need shoes the rocks are really hot”. I shook my head as I continued walking until I saw the campground. I felt everyone’s eyes on me as I neared them to sit on the bench. *end flashback*


 

“That incident was partially your fault since you willingly went in the water to go floating even when you know you would get scared.”

 

“Yes but I trusted my own family to save me if I were to get scared of the current. Instead they made fun of me and continued floating down the river leaving me stranded on the other side.” My mom clearly looked defeated she left once again. I cried reminiscing that day ever since then I never wanted to go back to that river again.




 

It was September 4th now the past month having gone fine my mom now somewhat accepting my new life. I got my phone and texted Hongbin “HAPPY 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY” followed by many heart stickers. A few hours later and Hongbin replied “Happy 1 year anniversary too Hakyeon let’s continue to be friends forever.” and another set of stickers. I grinned and replied with a heart. Hongbin had said he sent a box full of stuff, but sadly it didn’t come until four days later. It was filled with random things. Mainly my favorite cookies that could only be found where Hongbin lives. I tried to not eat them all in one sitting, but one I took that one bite I had gone through two boxes. I thanked Hongbin and told he was going to make me diabetic by the end of this week. Everyday I ate one pack of the cookies until I was down to two. I decided to save them since it might be a long time till I can get another one. Turns out it only lasted me five more days until I ate them.


 

It was now the last week of September the month had seemingly gone by pretty fast. All was well until I got a call from school. My heart sank and I started getting nervous of what was to come. They had scheduled a meeting for the next day about me having to start private lessons. That night I couldn’t sleep since I was anxious for the next day. I woke up feeling okay still a bit nervous as I walked to the school.with my mom. Looking around it got me feeling trapped as if I was criminal and was going back to jail. When I in the meeting there seemed no way to get out of this I started to feel suffocated. Once I got out it was confirmed I would have to go to private lessons two days from now. While my mom signed the papers she was given in the office, I started walking home crying. I felt like I was just a piece of property as I didn’t even get to have a say in anything. How could I possibly think I could live happy and free when in the real world you can never live life the way you want. I finally got to experience that as I got home and cried even more.