Friends

Does She Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       My face flushed as the cold breeze of February whipped through the air. I adjusted my scarf as I leaned against the light pole just outside the history lecture hall. Students began exiting the large sandstone building in groups just as a class ended but I could only find myself look for one lone man. It wasn’t long before I spotted him. His chocolate brown hair falling into his ebony eyes. I smiled as he fiddled with his head phones nearly dropping his bag in the process.

“Kai.” I called out gaining his attention as he looked up at me.

An angelic smile made its way across the boy’s lips.

“You didn’t tell me you were coming to visit me,” he smiled quickly shoving his phone back down into his pocket.

“Surprises are the best aren’t they,” I grinned up at the boy as he ruffled my hair.

His hand suddenly stopped moving but dropped down to my cheek instead.

“How long have you been standing out here?” he abruptly asked taking me by surprised as he lifted his other hand to cup my cheek “You’re frozen,”

“Not too long,” I mumbled feeling slightly embarrassed by his actions "I came from my art class,"

My heart fluttered as he stared into my eyes his hands placed on either side of my face.

“Let go home and get you warm,” he let out a small chuckled as he grasped my gloved hand in his.

We turned to leave the school grounds smiling shyly as we walked along.

“Kai!” I heard a female voice call out making us both turn our heads back to the building.

“Oh, Ara,” he greeted the girl his hand softly slipping out of mine “What’s up?”

It was almost a discouraging feeling I felt in that very moment but I couldn’t decipher quite what it was. He looked at her with a small grin and I couldn’t help but internally flinch. I took a good look at the girl before us. She had shoulder length black hair and had the facial features like that of a cat. I couldn’t deny it but even I found her strangely beautiful.

“I forgot to give you back the pencil you lent me earlier,” her voice was relaxed and fluid as she extended the writing utensil out to him.

She didn’t appear to have any ulterior motives like many of the other girls who approached him squealing and overreacting.

“Oh thanks, I totally forgot,” he remarked before taking the pencil back and shoving it down into the pocket of his coat.

“No problem,” she answered back a polite smile on her lips

“I’ll see you Tuesday!” she said as she smiled and waved goodbye slightly glancing over to me in the process with an unexplainable look on her face.

I watched her begin to walk out of the university gate until she was out of view before I looked at him curiously. What was going on Tuesday?

“That’s my seat mate,” he explained as he took my hand back in his and continued to walk away from the school.

“What’s going on Tuesday?” I questioned calmly looking around nonchalantly.

“Class presentation,” he answered as we turned out of the school making our may to his apartment just a few blocks away.

I nodded in understanding my eyes not leaving his face. Something was different about his behavior I just couldn’t pin point what it was.

When we arrived at his apartment I nearly shuddered as the warmth hit my skin. He let out a sigh as he shut the door behind us. As I moved to take off my coat I felt his strong hands begin to do it for me.

“I take this,” he smiled as he slipped the coat off my body and took to the closet where he hung up his as well.

“I didn’t realize how cold I was until I came in here,” I sighed basking in the warmth as I plopped down onto his couch.

“We still going clubbing with the group tonight?” Kai called to me as he went into the kitchen.

“Of course, “I replied hearing him softly laugh in response.

“Would you ever give up a chance to go out?” he asked as he exited the kitchen two cups of tea in hand.

With you on my mind still, I doubt it.

That was what I really wanted to reply with but I bit my tongue and held back those words.

“Probably not,” I opted for instead as he took a seat beside me.

He held out a cup of tea for me which I gratefully took. My cold fingers tingled under the heat of the warm ceramic. I took a quick sip before looking up at the boy next to me who simply stared at the cup within his hands.

“So that girl from earlier-” he began but paused still looking down at his hands.

“Ara?” I questioned as he nodded and glanced up at me.

My heart beat began to quicken as he remained silent. What about her?

“She asked me out,” he confessed and let out a strangled laugh as if he couldn’t believe she would have done that.

“And?” I raised an eyebrow a bit confused as to why he was acting so hesitant.

It didn’t surprise me she had asked him out. What was there to not like about him?

“I told her I’d think about it,” he continued making me cringe. Not only due to the fact that as a woman that answer would’ve killed me on the spot but because he also didn’t reject her offer completely.

“She was pretty,” I mumbled dejectedly feeling a bit awkward having to discuss this with him.

This explains the look she shot me as she was leaving.

“Did you like her?” Kais tone seemed unsure but he looked at me as if he was searching for some sense of approval.

“She was okay I guess,” I replied in a noncommittal tone before taking another swig of my tea.

My thoughts were running wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter