Restlessness

Does She Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took all I had in me to participate in the art show like a functioning human being after seeing Kai and Ara together. I tried distracting myself by looking at what I had on display but even then, I couldn’t.  My portrait even seemed to reflect my current dissatisfactory life status. All the colors stood out to me as mute and emotionless. To me, there was nothing special about this piece at all.

“It lacks contentment,” a voice reverberated behind me as I stared at the canvas with a scowl.

I subtly glanced over my shoulder to see teaching assistant Byun leaning over my shoulder. He had a small smile on his face as he walked around me to get closer to my work. My eyes caught his for a split second and I thought I felt a sense of strange familiarity with them.

“This portrait shows the restlessness of its artist. You can tell from how erratic and smudged each brushstroke is,” his voice was observant and inquisitive but not in a judgmental way.

“Is it that obvious,” I sighed looking back at my work “Have you ever thought of switching into psychology?”

I didn’t have any classes with TA Byun but I could tell he definitely had an eye for the smaller details. He arrived in the spring semester to work on his master’s degree, but I never actually had any previous interaction with the man.

“I don’t believe we’ve ever been properly introduced,” the teaching assistants eyes gleamed with amusement before he reached his hand out to me.

“Choi Jiyeon,” I introduced myself clasping my hand in his for a firm shake.

“Teaching Assistant Byun,” he replied before we released our hands from one another “Listen Jiyeon, if you ever would like to discuss class material or you need an outside opinion feel free to stop by my office hours in the professor’s lounge,”

“Thanks,”

 I felt a smile creeping across my lips before looking over his shoulder only to lock eyes with an approaching Kai.

“Jiyeon,” he sighed as he finally stood between TA Byun and me.

It was as if the teaching assistant could feel the friction between Kai and myself as he politely excused himself to look at other students work. Internally I dreaded the thought of being alone with Kai after the events that had transpired earlier.

“I’m so sorry I forgot today was your show,” Kai huffed as he watched the professor with a curious gaze before shifting back to me.

“Its fine,”

My words tumbled out and I immediately regretted them. Why did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter