Chapter 1

Pen name - D.O

 


A knock on the door.

Kyungsoo didn't even bother raising his head from the screen illuminating his face. He was in a way too comfortable position to even imagine moving a muscle.
It can only be one person at the door anyway, and it's not like they're missing the key.

Kyungsoo never understood why Baekhyun knocked to begin with everytime he arrived even though he has a spare key to Kyungsoo's tiny apartment already.

Although in the back of his mind he knew that Baekhyun was just trying to be considerate of his privacy and personal affairs, the front of his mind was busy pulsing his fingers across his laptop's keyboard at an incredible speed.

For the past two years, every single time Baekhyun came to visit him, Kyungsoo was always in the same position somehow. It's almost ridiculous.

Whenever the door was unlocked and his energetic cheerful friend hummed his way through the corridor and into the living room, just like right now, Kyungsoo was seated at the corner of his couch. Covered in at least two layers of blankets if not more, and the laptop right in front of him while his fingers bolted their way across the keyboard with no seen effort.

It was always cold in his apartment due to the airconditioner constantly running without a pause; cold and dark.

Although the interior design was pretty modern and included a lot of bright whites and greys, the black curtains covering each and every window in the apartment made the atmosphere a lot dimmer even during the most sunny days of the year.

 


"Kyungsoooo~"

Baekhyun called out his name with a wide grin. Kyungsoo couldn't see the smile since his eyes are glued to the screen, but he could hear it in the other's tone.

His eyes finally peeled off the dazzling machine only when Baekhyun's body flopped down right next to him on the couch, leaning against his side and stretching himself right on top of Kyungsoo shamelessly.

"Dude, when was the last time you stretched? You became a caterpiller again?"

Kyungsoo's eyes met with his friend's and with a small release of a sigh he raised his fingers and fixed up the glasses.

"When will you turn into a beautiful butterfly, hmmm?"

Baekhyun insisted on whining and being noisy apparently, he even poked Kyungsoo's cheek with his finger before smiling as wide as before and raising his other arm which was holding onto a plastic bag.

The smell of baked sugary goods instantly filled Kyungsoo's nose and his lips automatically curved upwards, just enough to announce to Baekhyun that his arrival is indeed appreciated, just like every time.

 


"So how did the meeting go?"

Kyungsoo asked his visitor once he finished the last bite of the delicious warm butter croissant he was gifted. From the formal way Baekhyun was dressed now, he could only assume that the other came over right after the questioned event ended.

"Ughhh...."

An unexpected grunt from the other made Kyungsoo raise his brow questioning as Baekhyun massaged the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

"Trust me, you're so lucky that you can do what you like for a living... I'd sell my soul to finally get that promotion I deserve and get out of that filthy office! Being a lawyer is so tiring..."

Baekhyun whined again, giving Kyungsoo an almost heartbreakingly hopeless look before suddenly pointing his finger upwards as if he just remembered something.

"Speaking of which-- Did you finish it? I'm really pumped for this one!! You rarely ever write such soft ideas... Especially after your last piece... Boy, I was not ready for it."

Baekhyun's expression turned from excitement into a mischievous smirk halfway through the sentence, and Kyungsoo's sudden wide eyes only made him laugh with amusement.

"I think that one broke the previous record you held actually... Not only did it have over five scenes-- but it also had the most readers!! Over one hundred thousand!"

Baekhyun nudged his elbow into Kyungsoo's blanketed side with another smirk.

 


"You're so embarrassing.."

Kyungsoo replied with a deep sigh and poked his friend's side back, making him jump and laugh again.

He was right though...

Kyungsoo's last written piece was the most successful so far. He's really made himself a name by now; Pen name - D.O.

Kyungsoo has been writing fanfictions for the past five years. Specifically, fanfictions about a very certain someone, someone that he has been crushing on from way back. Way before Park Chanyeol even made his solo debut.

Actually, now that he thinks about it, Baekhyun and him became friends around the time he began writing, his one and only close friend.

He was so very thankful to Baekhyun for his constant support and encouragement in everything.. But really, when he says all of these things with such a erted tone it can't be taken seriously.


About an hour or two later, Baekhyun was finally on his way out of the apartment, but of course he wouldn't leave without opening the curtains just a little bit and taking the trash out with him.

"Thank you again Baekhyunie."

Kyungsoo parted with him, waving calmly.

"No problem bro, good luck with that... 'Soft' piece of yours."

The other replied with a playful wink before entering the elevator at the end of the hallway outside the apartment and disappearing.

Kyungsoo went back inside and locked the door, sighing and following his friend's instructions.

He stretched his body a few times while walking back to his usual sofa corner to continue writing again. This time, like he explained to Baekhyun earlier, the piece he's writing will be completely soft. No .. No ual undertones.. Just pure affection and love.



--

 

Kyungsoo, or 'D.O.' is one of the most popular fiction writers known on the internet. Keeping his identity completely anonymous.

Through his long writing period and the content he brought out to the dedicated fans of Park Chanyeol on some writing platforms, he gained not only a pretty massive fanbase but also some sponserships that allowed him to quit his job as a kitchen worker at a restaurant and spend all of his time writing.

The reason he keeps his identity a secret from the public is.. Pretty obvious. He is a guy.

Now, it wouldn't be a problem at all, if only he wrote completely different stories in his pieces.

D.O is a pure writer. In every single story Kyungsoo has published on the plaforms, whether if short, long, plot filled or completely plotless, the main focus was no other than the ual interaction with Park Chanyeol.

Being a man in Korea and writing such ual content for the public would not only be frowned upon, but he would most likely recieve a lot of hate and risk his own well being.

 


So to avoid the hassle, all of D.O's stories are always between the female reader he writes as, and Park Chanyeol.

When he began writing about Park Chanyeol five years ago as the musician made his debut, he never knew it'd be the start of his new lifestyle.
But thanks to Chanyeol's raising popularity in Korea, his written pieces got to be seen by the growing fanbase of the one and only person on the planet Kyungsoo ever felt attracted to.

Honestly, he could continue writing such things forever.. Kyungsoo's imagination was trully limitless when it comes to Chanyeol.

He wrote things he would never want to even think of again in his life. It was awfully shameful yet extremely fun to be 'D.O'. To be the girl Kyungsoo imagined Chanyeol would be able to fall for.

To be with Chanyeol like that. Even if only inside his own mind.

Was he a fangirl? Or a fanboy? Kyungsoo himself didn't know.

 


It's true that Kyungsoo only writes himself, the writer, the reader, as a girl.

Yet whenever he had these visions of scenarios in his mind, he wasn't able to control the fact that he is a male.. And all of the interactions he ends up writing as a girl were actually playing out as himself in his head.

It was bitter-sweet satisfaction. But he wouldn't have it any other way. Exposing himself and his gender would be too risky.. So he should just shut up and enjoy what he CAN do.

Kyungsoo made himself comfortable on the corner of the couch again. He fixed his glasses and pulled the laptop closer.

His previous story was filled with so much and intimate scenes, that even though he normally doesn't write anything other than , Kyungsoo chose to change gears for this piece.

 


This time the story he's writing is going to include nothing even remotely erted. It'd be a sweet plot of him or.. her, the reader, entering a newly opened coffee shop and falling in love with the amazing waiter Park Chanyeol.

It'd include a lot of smiles.. Laughs.. And soft interactions such as holding hands, sharing an umbrella in the rain, and feeding each other cake while playing with the cream.

Everything was already written except for the very ending Kyungsoo has been struggling with for a while.

At first he wanted it to end with a kiss.. But in the end of the long writing night, he published the piece with a different finish in which the reader has to move away from town and leave Chanyeol behind, holding onto the necklace Chanyeol gave her.

Kyungsoo monitored the newly published piece for a few minutes, watching how the comments and reactions started flooding in from the 'Notification Squad' of his fanbase.

With a small smile of fullfilment, he finally shut his laptop off and headed to bed.

It was an easy life.. Sitting and writing all day and getting paid for having a wild imagination that he could luckily put into words.

 

--

 

About a month has passed, throughout that month Park Chanyeol began releasing clues and statements about an upcoming comeback, and Kyungsoo's excitement for the moment to finally arrive was off the charts.

He had already pre-ordered the album and even set up a group with a bunch of other fans in which they'd be able to exchange the photo cards they may get so that all of the participants will have the full collection.

Really, at Kyungsoo's age it might seem inappropriate to have such obsession with a celebrity.. But Kyungsoo's life as a whole is very unconventional to begin with.

Tonight is the night, the title song's music video is about to be released in less than an hour. Kyungsoo had all of the possible devices he owns set on the page it will be appearing on.
Just like any other obsessed fan.. He will be busy streaming it at the moment it's published.

It's almost as if Kyungsoo's entire life is revolving around Park Chanyeol. Technically speaking, it really is.

He gets paid off of writing about him, he thinks about him every second of every day, he does all of this even though he knows Chanyeol will never even know of his existence.

 


The moment is here, the video is released.

The first time Kyungsoo watched it, he was way too excited about the music to pay attention to anything in the video itself. But by the fifth time he replayed it, he decided to focus on the music video and see what it's even about.

The video was shot from a first person's point of view.. of a girl.. meeting a waiter who's played by Chanyeol.

Whoa, that's familiar. It's almost like Kyungsoo predicted the future. He laughed to himself quietly from the thought.

It gets a little weirder from there.. As the video continues rolling Kyungsoo has an intense feeling of deja vu.

That's crazy, they're holding hands? Sharing an umbrella in the rain? Feeding each other cake and being playful with the cream..?

The smile that coated Kyungsoo's face until now had disappeared fully when he reached the end of the video in which it is shown that the girl has to leave Chanyeol behind and opens a locket necklace with a picture of the two of them.. That was given to her by Chanyeol himself.

 


This is an exact replica of his written fiction coming to life in the music video. What is going on?
Kind of suspicious and very strange.

Well, the plot really isn't that original or unique.. But the events in this music video played out in the exact order and actions that Kyungsoo himself wrote in the story he published a month ago.

Right when the video ended for the fifth time, his phone began ringing.

"Hello?"

"KYUNGSOO!! DID YOU SEE THE VIDEO?!"

It was Baekhyun's voice.

"Yes I did--"

"IT WAS EXACTLY LIKE YOUR STORY?! THAT'S TOO WEIRD!!"

"I noticed it as well, it's strange."

"Kyungsoo, look at the comments of the video, look at your wall on the website!"

Huh... What is Baekhyun talking about?
Kyungsoo began clicking on his laptop, hearing Baekhyun's awed noises from the other side of the line as he read the flooding comments.

Reactions such as 'You stole the MV from D.O!' , 'Did D.O produce this?' , 'D.O D.O D.O WROTE IT FIRST!' , 'Are they dating? How did Chanyeol know about this story?' kept appearing endlessly and recieving high amounts of likes and recognition.

Oh no... This is a mess.
The last thing Kyungsoo needs right now is a rumour spreading around. He gulped and opened the page of his publishing profile. Similar comments were flooding there as well.. this is really crazy.

"So? What are you going to do? Look at that, all of the fans say you should sue them.."

"Really? How on earth am I supposed to sue them..? Wouldn't it be too much trouble to sue Chanyeol..? I don't want to cause a mess Baekhyun.."

"Dude-- you don't get it?? They stole your idea!! Word to word!! Every single thing you wrote appeared in the video, there's no way it's just a coincidence.."

 


The evening of the next day has come, and Kyungsoo ended up listening to Baekhyun and his fans, requesting to sue Chanyeol and his company for plagiarism over his story's plot.

The request has been approved, and in a week he will be heading to seoul's court to begin the process of settling this mess.

On the social media the story had already become pretty big.

The public is confused about the music video, while showing D.O a lot of support and love.

Kyungsoo's fan count has doubled itself through a single night, and he even had to release a statement on D.O's page explaining he will be going to court to find a proper legal solution for the issue.

Kyungsoo was yet again extremely thankful to Baekhyun for being the lawyer for the case. Since he will have to continue keeping his identity hidden, Kyungsoo himself would be representing D.O's statement without having to bring 'her' around.

This format was approved by the court as valid, and with all of the needed files and information, the two were preparing for the court hearing.


--


"You've got the files?"

"Yes."

"Laptop?"

"Here."

"Prints?"

"All with the files. We made two copies of each, remember?"

Baekhyun hums in return, his brows furrowed together as he walks restlessly from side to side in Kyungsoo's apartment.
Wearing a fancy suit, even his hair is styled formally, gelled down to his scalp without a single poking strand.

Kyungsoo on the other hand doesn't even own a proper tux, and due to the fact Baekhyun's limbs are too long for him to be able to borrow any, he settled with a simple casual attire that recieves it's seriousness thanks to the buttoned up shirt.

"Why are you so stressed anyway? It's way more stressful for me.. I literally have to fake my own identity as a writer for this to happen."

Kyungsoo groans and pushes the frame of his glasses into better position once he finally buttoned the top one of his never worn shirt.

"Listen, I've been through some cases before, but never one that had recieved such an uproar. So much exposure in the media.. My promotion depends on this."

Baekhyun's hands shook Kyungsoo's shoulders as he spoke. Kyungsoo could see a bit of a sweaty shimmer on the top of Baekhyun's forehead.

"Alright. Alright. Let's just go already."

Swatting Baekhyun's hands away was easy, the ride to the court's parking lot was not.

Baekhyun mumbled and repeated laws or rules or whatever Kyungsoo couldn't understand under his breath the entire time, thankfully his hands didn't leave the stirring wheel in the process.

 


An especially clammy early noon greeted them when they finally made it out of the car. A humid heat that immediately produced some sweaty sparkles on top of Baekhyun's forehead.
Maybe he has to, but wearing such a thick suit really doesn't sound like fun right now.

By the time Kyungsoo turned his eyes to the hearing house the two already began getting swarmed by eager journalists and photographers.

With a frown Kyungsoo lowered his head, ignoring all sorts of questions being thrown at him from the crowd that's thirsty for any bit of information about the mysterious D.O that's going against Park Chanyeol himself.

They made it inside with little to no harm, only a slightly frazzled lock of hair that didn't even seem to be out of place.

The airconditioned building was pleasant, and without trouble Baekhyun led Kyungsoo towards the main hall where the event will take place.

"Baekhyun, how much longer do we have?"

"About ten minutes, why?"

"I'll be right back. Toilet."

Kyungsoo waved his hand dismissively towards his partner, turning around and down the hallway while staring down at his own label necklace that he recieved at the enterance.

'Do Kyungsoo. Personal representative of D.O' is written on it in small letters along with the symbol of the korean court.

 


After a turn to the left where the toilets are located that took him about four whole minutes to find, he bumped into what felt like another wall he wasn't aware of.

A soft wall, a wall that holds onto the sides of his shoulders with big warm palms until he opens his squinted eyes again.

Right after the bump he realized the thing he just hit was not a wall.. But rather a human wall. A tower even. Raising his eyes upwards from the ground gave him the chance to examine the person standing in front of him briefly before reaching the face.

At that point he wished he hadn't reached the face. Not now, not ever.

While his thoughts were busy trying to form a proper apology sentence to the kind person that held him in place and prevented him from falling to the floor, he was sure he saw the sun itself.

Wide eyes, furrowed brows in worry, lips slightly parted, hovering over him and grabbing him by the shoulders was none other than Park Chanyeol.

Time slowed down so much that for Kyungsoo it felt like a whole year had passed before the shift in Chanyeol's lips became visible.

The corners of his perfectly shaped lips slowly paved upwards on his face, deepening the depth of his now noticeable dimple.

This is the end, for sure. Kyungsoo is going to cancel the case right now, this is impossible.

 


"Hey, you okay?"

Chanyeol's familiar yet so new deep voice finally reached his ears, he was sure he will never be able to hear again from how loud his own heart thumps right at the center of his head.

There was silence for a while, Kyungsoo parted his mouth, trying to let out the voice that refuses to be released from his throat.

So lame. He is making such a fool of himself right now, this is ridiculous.

The man standing in front of him, wearing a casual yet utterly fancy attire, a golden watch on his wrist and hair brushed back thanks to sunglasses resting on his head, was Chanyeol.

THE Chanyeol. Chanyeol of his dreams, Chanyeol of his wet dreams, Chanyeol of his late nights and cold dawns in front of his screen, Chanyeol of the winter songs that got him through the storm, Chanyeol of the day dreams he bases his entire life on.

"Sorry."

Kyungsoo was finally able to croak out unattractively. He really is going to pass out.

Especially after the laughter it dug out of Chanyeol's deep wide chest, even the laughter wrinkles on the sides of his eyes are impossibly luring.

 


Kyungsoo felt Chanyeol's big hands slide down his arms until they were no more. And he made a mental note in his mind to never wash this shirt again.

Who knew a cheap shirt he got in a packet from his mother two years ago will become his most prized posession.

This must be hilarious from Chanyeol's point of view. Bumping into a short circular figure with big eyes and bigger glasses, small frame and slightly messy hair that is unable to let out a sound other than a weird crank of an apology.

He was sure this would be over, Chanyeol would simply walk past him now and never speak to him again, he wouldn't even remember that Kyungsoo exists. He doesn't even know his name...

That is, until Chanyeol's eyes (that Kyungsoo keeps close track of with his own) lowered down to the small plastic plank attached to his tag necklace.

His long finger lightly raising it upwards for an easy read.

"AH!!"

Kyungsoo lost a year of his life from the surprise of Chanyeol's sudden shout.

"You're D.O!! I mean-- you're going to represent her in the court?"

His expression seemed rather pleased and even excited, which is odd, considering they are technically.. 'enemies'.

Kyungsoo definitely lost at least seven more years of his life at the beginning of the sentence, thinking he might as well just end his life right there for being exposed like that.
A shaky breath barely left his lungs by the end.

"Yes. I-- uh... I'm her cousin... She asked me to."

Lies. Kyungsoo is terrible. He's a good actor, but his heart isn't good at handling lies.

 


That's the story Baekhyun and him settled on.

Do Kyungsoo is simply D.O's cousin, which would be a good reason for him to know about 'her'. To know why the chosen name is D.O. Why she writes about Chanyeol.. Why she loves him so much.

Standing like this in front of the person that literally controls his entire life is terrifying.

It feels scary, makes him vulnerable, weak.. There's a high chance Chanyeol can hear his heart beat from how strong it shakes his body with each pump.

"Perfect! Actually.."

Chanyeol's eyes landed on the card again.

"Kyungsoo, you will be talking with her right after this ends right? Can you.. please tell her a few things from me?"

How dare he, hunch down like this, curving his shoulders inwards to appear smaller and less threatening in front of short small Kyungsoo like this? What kind of soft consideration is this?

"Sure, yes, I will."

Chanyeol suddenly breaks out in a relieved smile, sighing and rubbing a hand through the flawless hair tucked behind the sunglasses.

His eyes close when he thinks, and shortly after he locks his gaze directly with Kyungsoo's.
Kyungsoo wonders just how red he must be at this moment, but not only do his ears feel like they're on fire, his cheeks are also burning.

 


"To be honest, I'm really nervous because.. Uh.. I actually am a fan of hers."

Chanyeol admits with a side smile and shyness. Kyungsoo is taken aback into a state of shock mixed with seriousness.

"Please tell her that I love the way she writes. She makes me seem really cool and all, haha. I don't know if you read any of her works.. She's really good. Uhm-- She should know that I really did use her latest work for the music video.. I nearly cried when I reached the ending and knew it fits perfectly with my song."

He continued on, and Kyungsoo's whole world is shattering beneath his feet.

"Anyway, my company and I will pay for all the compensation, anything the court decides. There is one more thing I want her to know. It's clear that she wants to stay anonymous.. But I spoke with my manager, and I want to hire her."

Kyungsoo's losing a grip with reality at this point. This is trully way too much for his heart to handle.

"We wanted to send her an official message, but since luck brought you to me, can I ask for her number?"

Chanyeol looked at him with such hopeful bright eyes that even satan himself wouldn't be able to say no.

 


So to conclude.. Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol, is a fan of him. Well not him, his works.. and not him, because he's a fan of D.O. The D.O who is apparently his cousin since morning.

Not only does Chanyeol know of his existence.. He likes what he does. That's more than one can take in a day. To top it all, Chanyeol wants to hire D.O?

Kyungsoo needed nothing but to nod, and Chanyeol's large hands already grabbed his own small palms and gave him his cellphone.

Staring down at it, Kyungsoo couldn't believe that he is able to touch it with his own bare hands. This treasure of a phone.

Since when is he so emotional?

Kyungsoo could see the little tiny cracks at the corner of the screen, the case was a beautiful print of a rainy view with Chanyeol's own initials.

He tapped the number in.. D.O's number.. His own private cellphone number, since he is, after all, D.O. And Handed it back to the beautiful soft giant standing in front of him.

 


"Hey, if she wants to still be anonymous I can hire the both of you. Maybe you'll be her representative at work as well. Directing according to her choices and instructions. That'll be fun, you seem like a cool guy."

Chanyeol beamed while staring at his brand new important contact added to his phone, and slid the machine into the pocket of his jeans.

Kyungsoo? A cool guy? Maybe Chanyeol isn't as smart as Kyungsoo initially thought he was.

Nothing about Kyungsoo can be considered remotely cool.

Except his heart, maybe, his cold unwavering heart at the entire world except for Chanyeol himself.

His imaginary cousin would have been so jealous of him for the handshake Chanyeol gave him before smiling and leaving towards the hall.

When Kyungsoo looked at his own phone's clock he realized this whole interaction took maybe three minutes in total, even though he felt like he's nearing his deathbed.

It's gross, it really is, but Kyungsoo didn't wash his hand after the toilet. Chanyeol himself shook it after all.

 


The hearing was over, the court was puzzled and a little surprised by how quickly Chanyeol simply admitted to his doings, sending Kyungsoo a tiny smiling glance of affirmation when the judges determined the case was closed with a small compensation of some money due to agreement of both sides.

Baekhyun was glowing all the way back to Kyungsoo's home, humming and tapping his fingers on the wheel with the beat of the slightly too loud music blasting in the car.

But Kyungsoo didn't mind it so much, because he barely heard any of it through his own heart deafening him when the first message from Chanyeol arrived.


[ Unknown number: Hey, D.O! Kyungsoo gave me your number today at the court. It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Park Chanyeol.]