one

His Flirtatious Best Friend

"Hong Jihyun, you sly dog! I can't believe you snatched Moon Taeil!" 

The aforementioned girl coughed as she got slapped on the back aggressively, and turned back to face her aggressor. "Ya, Kim Aeri," she whined to her best friend. "That hurt!" 

"Well, you hurt a bunch of hearts after the whole school found out about you and Taeil!" Aeri retorted back, seemingly proud of her friend.

"Um, I didn't mean to," Jihyun answered awkwardly, her face turning red with embarrassment. "But I can't believe he asked me out!" 

"I know right! How'd you even do it?" 

Jihyun recounted the memory in her head as she told it to her. 

 

*

 

"Jihyun, may I please talk to you?" 

Jihyun raised her head from her phone, a bit annoyed at the fact that she was being disturbed while she was cramming for her English test during lunch - until she saw that it was Moon Taeil in front of her. "U-uh, what?" She stuttered, clearly caught by surprise. 

"May I please talk to you?" He repeated once more, a gentle smile on his face. 

"Yes," she breathed nervously, hoping that he couldn't hear it in her voice. "What's up Taeil?" 

"Um, somewhere more... private?" 

"O-oh of course." 

A million thoughts raced through her head at that very moment and she swore her heart was beating loud enough for everyone to hear. Taeil led her to a very secluded area in the courtyard and that's when he dropped a bomb on her. 

"I've liked you for a while Jihyun, and I know that we have only started getting to know each other, but will you be my girlfriend?" 

Her heart stopped. 

Her jaw dropped. 

Her knees shook.

"Excuse me? Wait. Pause. You, Moon Taeil, want me, Hong Jihyun, to be your girlfriend?" She stood there in complete shock, which was only magnified when he nodded his head, affirming her question. "Oh my gosh... yes of course!" 

He was enveloped by her petite body, and happily laughed as he embraced her in his arms.

"I'm looking forward to being able to be with you," he smiled, and Jihyun's heart melted into a puddle. 

"Me too," she agreed, snuggling her face into his broad chest, unwilling to let go. 

 

*

 

Aeri gaped in shock when Jihyun finished telling the story. 

"No way," she deadpanned. "I cannot believe that that was the way he asked you out. Moon Taeil, the dude who's never had a high school relationship before! Are you sure he's not in some sort of bet with his friends or something? I hear that they can be pretty... uh, playboy-like? I don't know how to describe it." 

"No, I don't think so. Taeil's so nice!" Jihyun rebutted, refusing to see anything wrong with her new boyfriend. 

"Okay, I guess, but he's too nice. There's no such thing as a perfect guy," Aeri shrugged. 

"I guess you're right, but I don't think there'll be anything too bad," the other girl answered, fixing her bangs nonchalantly.

"Hm, okay. Well good luck with your new man," her best friend snickered. "I'm off to mine myself one in the lunch line. I'll be back." 

"I'll introduce you to his friends!" Jihyun offered, but Aeri merely waved her off and walked away.

Going back to her phone to study some more, she was once again interrupted by the voice she now finds her favorite. 

"Hello." 

Jihyun looked up happily to see Taeil presenting her with a sandwich. "Wait what?" She mumbled in confusion, as he pressed the item into her free hand and giving her a quick smile before grabbing a seat and sitting down. 

"It's for you. I figured that you'd need it since you're cramming for a test," he answered, and Jihyun's heart raced. 

"You really didn't have to," she uttered. 

"I wanted to."

And with that simple sentence, she put down her phone and willingly finished the sandwich while talking to Taeil, albeit a bit awkwardly. They had only started talking a few weeks ago when Jihyun shared a Tweet that reminded her of him (after much debate within herself), and Taeil, being the incredibly kind person he was, started sending her Tweets that reminded him of her. This exchange shortly led to an exchange of numbers and they started texting each other a little bit, which has now developed into... this. 

"You should study," Taeil commented, as he rubbed his thumb over the back of Jihyun's hand. "I hear the test was pretty hard."

She beamed and immediately went back to her phone obediently, hoping to study everything quickly, so that she could go back to talking to her new significant other. 

Taeil merely watched in adoration, as she furrowed her eyebrows and skimmed past the words on her screen. He brushed the hair out of her eyes with his free hand, and offered, "Do you want me to quiz you?" 

Jihyun looked up and gave a fervent nod, as she passed him her phone, and he chuckled. "Then... what does it mean to be 'diligent'?" His awkward pronunciation made her giggle before answering, "I think it means to care.... about your work...?" Her head tilted in confusion and Taeil just smiled. 

"Yes, it does. You're so smart!" He praised, and Jihyun found herself turning red with embarrassment.

"I just crammed for it very hard..." She mumbled bashfully. "I'm not that smart."

"I think you are," he insisted and she pushed his arm playfully. Jihyun laughed in response and he continued to quiz her random words. Surprisingly, she knew a lot more than she thought she would, but that was probably because she had been cramming the information since about an hour ago, so perhaps that's why she was doing so well. She wasn't complaining, though, she didn't want Taeil to think of her as an idiot!

"I think this is enough studying for now," Jihyun groaned, as she answered the last word correctly.

"Good job," he smiled gently, and she felt her heart melt.

She reached forward and shyly cupped his hand in hers, and the two sat there awkwardly. Jihyun wasn't sure what to do, since this was her first relationship in a long time, but for some reason, the awkwardness was comforting - perhaps it was because she and Taeil felt the same way, so she didn't feel like what she was doing was too bizzare. 

They sat there for a moment, and she admired his features, before being interrupted. 

"Taeil!" A very feminine voice called out, and Jihyun looked at the girl who said it. She had quickly paced across the cafeteria with a bun in her hand, and suddenly launched her arms around the said male, shocking Jihyun herself. 

"Oh hi Haemi," he laughed, giving her elbow a quick pat before looking back at his girlfriend. "This is Na Haemi, my best friend. Haemi, this is Jihyun, my girlfriend." 

"Hello!" The other girl greeted vibrantly. 

Jihyun gulped. 

"Hi," she smiled shyly, hoping her awkwardness didn't show.

"Taeil's talked a lot about you!" She giggled, slapping his arm. 

"Oh really?" Jihyun asked, adding a small laugh at the end, so that she didn't sound too uncomfortable. 

"Yup!" Hyemi nodded, before glancing back at Taeil and sending him a wink.  

Perhaps it was the way Haemi talked to Taeil or the way she casually put her arms around him, but from the moment they met, Jihyun felt that there was something off about that girl... and she wasn't sure if she liked it. 

 


Hello friends! This is the first chapter, and I hope you all liked it LOL. I don't really know what to say, since I'm just as awkward as Jihyun, but I hoped you liked it! Thank you for reading!