Chapter 5

School 2018!

Jeon Somi has been known as an outcast her entire life. She had already transferred to 3 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, and 3 high schools. She got settled in IOI Academy, made a name for herself, and even made friends. Somi never thought it could happen all over again, all thanks to the fourth and recent fiasco.

Somi had been the talk of the school again but more of a trend in the aspect of rumors and conspiracies. Since then, Somi was looked down by everyone. Somi cared less. The people were too immature and indecent for her care. She got to a bench and placed a hand on her forehead when she saw Woojung, Shiori, and Hyehyeon.

“What a ing morning... you guys again?” Somi sighed.

“Save your breath, transferee. You do know that the IOI Exam is fast approaching. And with our bundles of demerits compared to your one demerit, it’s pissing us off!” Woojung started.

“Aigoo... I would explain it but your heads are harder than granite. I’d be wasting my words again.” Somi hissed.

“You jerk! Don’t lie in front of our faces. We heard it was you!” Shiori batted. “To think I expected a lot from you... what a waste of my life…”

Somi would’ve kicked their asses but she was testing her own patience. She excused herself when they blocked her way and pushed her around. Somi was losing and it could cost her another demerit. Woojung almost landed a fist on Somi’s face when a hand stopped her.

“Aigoo... what a ing morning indeed.”

“What did you say?!” Woojung exclaimed.

“Are you deaf? I said I was annoyed, you idiot!”

“Yah, how dare you-”

“How dare you talk to the first placer like that?! Yeah! I heard about the fourth fiasco and it was already proven that YOU rascals and that Jung Haerim spread wrong words. You should be ashamed of yourselves!”

Shiori and Hyehyeon saw the face and it hit them, making them stop a rampaging Woojung from laying a hand on Somi or the girl.

“I may be decent and all but I can be a brat, a rude one at that. So stop doing nonsense things if you don’t want to die now. Like…” She snickered. “... study for the IOI Exam and ace the Idiotic part of the exam.”

Woojung lost herself yet the girl tripped her with a foot. Woojung got up and ranted. “You’re dead. That’s school violence.”

“Try me. And instead of getting a merit, you’ll get an expulsion.” The girl grinned. “After all, I have the authority.”

“You -”

“Have you forgotten?! That’s Kim Danielle- I mean Kim Dani!”

“Heol... you say my name in front of my face?” The girl was provoked. “Get lost if you don’t want me to break your bones.”

“Yah…” Shiori pointed at Somi. “... consider yourself lucky.”

Somi was confused as the three made a run for it. Somi faced the girl and her look was somehow pitiful. She approached her and held her hand. “Somi... it’s not your fault. And it’s the truth.”

“Really?” Somi asked, feeling down. “Thanks back there…”

Somi sighed and left her. She got to her classroom, seeing some classmates do their usual business as she got to her locker. She was triggered. Her books have been torn to shreds.

Ennik, the outcast~ Ennik, the outcast~

Somi remembered that call from the past that she slammed her locker door and went out. She went to seclude herself when she stopped to see Chaeyeon and Jieqiong.

“Somi…” Chaeyeon handed her something. “... another fiasco has happened with regards to your things.”

“Woojung did that. Eunwoo reported the incident. And we decided to replace your books.” Jieqiong added.

“Accept them, Somi…” Chaeyeon handed it to her. “... because we know you’re not at fault. It’s the school’s, not yours.”

Somi nodded, thanked them with a bow and went on. “I... I need to go for some fresh air.”

Chaeyeon and Jieqiong didn’t disturb her and Somi got to the top of the building. Somi sat there as thoughts of her past haunted her.

She was an outcast, almost like a nuisance and a rejection to society in the academic aspect. She was one heck of a genius but was then bullied, rejected, discriminated, and harmed. It was a reason to why she transferred.

Somi screamed at the top of her lungs and cried. It was then she couldn’t grasp as arms wrapped around her.

“Shh... it’s okay, Somi-ya…” It was Sejeong.

Chaeyeon told them, she thought, as the rest of the Top 11 got there and comforted their friend. Even her friends from the other sections who believed she was innocent also came up. Somi continued to cry and she couldn’t muster the fact that she was almost scared and grateful to have them.

+++

Dani got to school with the motorcycle and stopped. She got off and faced her father.

Danielle, what have I told you about riding bikes? You’re going to get yourself at risk again.

Father, I won’t overspeed again. It’s fine. Dani defended.

Stop being so stubborn. I can get you a car-

I don’t want one, Father. Dani huffed. This vehicle is my only memory with her.

Danielle, she’s been dead years ago. I beg you to move on.

How could you say that to me? She’s my best friend. Dani cried.

Dani ran off and went to her classroom. She saw the rest getting ready for class when she witnessed something that provoked her. She saw her pact bracelet with a broken stone.

She threw a chair and everyone in Section A gasped. Dani ranted and asked who broke it, almost pinpointing everyone she can blame. But then, someone yelled.

“That’s enough already!!” It was Sejeong.

Jieqiong was also triggered and was about to kick Dani’s when she saw the bracelet. Sejeong saw it too and yelled everyone to get out. Yoojung and Mina were albeit scared yet Stone Nayoung pulled them out. Chungha would’ve stayed but Sejeong glared at her. Kim Nayoung and Heehyun wanted to stay as well but Dani glared at them to get out. Now, the three were left in the room, facing each other.

“What the are you doing here, Jieqiong?” Dani cussed.

“What? You think I’ll let you guys have the fun?” Jieqiong hissed. “It’s the both of your faults that our best friend died-”

“Shut up!!” Sejeong yelled. “Just shut up!”

“Tch, bastards…” Jieqiong sighed and left the two.

“Hey... do you really want to die?” Dani hissed as she faced Sejeong.

“Enough already.” Sejeong said.

“Shut it. I’m not in the mood for your stupid words.” Dani hissed.

Sejeong looked at the broken bracelet and snickered. “Hey, Dani. Why do you still have your motorcycle? I destroyed mine years ago because it reminds me of the sin you made.”

“My sin?! A sin that YOU abandoned because of your cowardice!” Dani batted.

+++

Somi and Chaeyeon were passing by and noticed the students of Section A going out of the main building. They met with the rest of their friends and asked what was going on.

“Dani had gone pissed... and Sejeong’s there too.” Sohye said.

“I hate it when Sejeong gets mad. She gets crazy!” Mina exclaimed.

“Jieqiong!” Chaeyeon saw her and ran towards her. “What’s going on? Where’s Sejeong?”

“Ask her.” Jieqiong hissed and left.

“What in the... why are people so stressed out?!” Yoojung huffed.

Somi gulped and ran inside the main building. Stone Nayoung huffed and ran after her.

+++

Inside the room, it was hell. Dani and Sejeong were having a fight of physical punches and kicks. The room was a mess and so were their faces and mindsets. The two kept delivering a punch and a kick and the two were down. Dani had a bruise on her cheek as she got rid of her tie. Sejeong got blood on as she ed the first button of her uniform.

“You’re the coward, Danielle!” Sejeong spat.

“Shut up before I kill you!” Dani yelled.

“This is a jurisdiction of this whole madness! I want to destroy this hell!” Sejeong yelled. “After all that you’ve done for leaving her to die!”

“Heol... wait till everyone finds out that the record-holding topnotcher is one heck of a sadist.” Dani hissed.

Sejeong pushed Dani off and they fought again. They pushed each other, restricting either pushes as Somi gasped to witness everything.

“Are you guys crazy?!” Somi batted.

“Somi! What are you-” Stone Nayoung gasped too. “Enough!!!”

Nayoung's tone made Somi flinch. Dani and Sejeong gulped and forced themselves to let go. Teacher Bae and Teacher Kahi got to the scene and they blew up a fuse.

“Have you lost your minds?! How could you fight in school premises?!” Teacher Kahi ranted.

“Kim Sejeong and Kim Dani! You're coming with me!” Teacher Bae yelled, slapping her stick by the door.

“You too, Jeon Somi and Lim Nayoung.” Teacher Kahi added.

Sejeong and Dani followed them, with Somi and Nayoung behind them. The four students got to the detaining room and the two teachers faced them. Teacher Bae slapped her stick on the table, gaining their attention.

“What the heck?! We're dealing with fiascos in this academy and the likes of elites and excelling students make a bad image and add up to the school's problems. What happened back there?!” Teacher Kahi scolded them.

“The system has been clear…” Teacher Bae began and slapped her stick in front of the four students. “Kim Sejeong... Dani... you two have taken serious violence within school premises, to think that you two are excelling students in Section A. Do you admit to that?”

“Yes, ma'am.” Sejeong nodded.

“Yes. I admit.” Dani responded.

“You two…” Teacher Kahi pointed at Somi and Stone Nayoung. “... what were you two doing inside?”

“Uhh... I came inside out of free will wanting to stop the two.” Somi said.

“And I had to interject, Miss Kahi. I'm class President after all. I have to be responsible.” Nayoung spoke.

“You intend to stop violence without authority and faculty intervention? That's not how it works here, Jeon Somi.” Teacher Bae said. “You don't take accountability and yet you took it, a sign of negligence and an insult to people with authority.”

What? Somi thought it was preposterous.

“Don't be too hard on Somi, ma'am.” Sejeong said. “She really didn't mean to do anything wrong. She had to take action and stop the fight.”

Somi nodded. “Sejeong is telling the truth, ma'am.”

Teacher Bae slapped her stick on the table again. “Yah. Do I have to repeat myself of your charges?”

“Look…” Teacher Kahi spoke, rubbing her temples. “... all of you would be exempted due to your privileges but this is a serious matter. For Lim Nayoung and Jeon Somi, you get one demerit each. For Kim Sejeong and Kim Dani, you'll be punished by the discipline committee officially and get five demerits.”

Somi and Nayoung were shocked of it. They were worried for Sejeong. She had a Rank to maintain and a major demerit would jeopardize it. Somi raised a hand. “Is it possible if they'll just be punished unofficially?”

“Why?” Teacher Bae asked.

“Sejeong is an excellent student, ma'am. This major demerit isn't intentional but it could cost her standing. Please reconsider.” Nayoung could almost plead.

“And it's bulky in our schedules... now that the IOI Exam is approaching.” Somi added and the three nodded.

“The girl has a point.” Teacher Kahi said.

“Alright.” Teacher Bae agreed. “Let's start today.”

+++

“The two of you will be punished for a week starting today. For Somi and Nayoung, you would be watching them in order to get that one demerit off. For today, you two will be running 20 laps around the court.” Teacher Bae instructed. “Start.”

She left the place. Somi sighed watching the two stretch as Stone Nayoung was studying geography. Somi tapped her shoulder. “Sorry to get you into this, Pres.”

“I would be mad about this, Somi. That's why I ran after you. You should've just told me to stop them myself.” Nayoung said.

“I know now. I'm sorry.” Somi said.

“It's okay. I know you had to do what needed to be done.” Nayoung said, closing her book. “Believe me, this academy .” She looked at Sejeong and Dani. “Yah! You two better start running, especially you, Sejeong!!”

“Ne.” Sejeong nodded. “Sorry, Stone... Som…”

“Sorry, Som.” Dani spoke.

“Heol... you had to do this fair and square. Stop acting like a good girl, Dani.” Sejeong said.

“Yah, Sejeong!” Nayoung scolded. “And don't you dare get mad, Kim Dani.”

Somi sighed and decided to watch them to let Nayoung study. Sejeong and Dani started running and Somi made sure that they won't fight again. As Somi watched, she wondered why the two fought. She thought about it for a long time when Nayoung poked her shoulder.

“Somi, what's the capital of the Philippines?” Nayoung asked.

“Manila.” Somi answered.

“Thanks.” Nayoung said and took it down.

“Prez... what’s Sejeong’s relationship with Dani?”

Nayoung almost broke her pencil. Somi gulped, wondering if she had triggered the Stone President again. Nayoung could only sigh. “They had a rough start because of an incident. Jieqiong knows everything but please…” Nayoung looks at Somi intently. “... don’t ask Jieqiong and don't talk to them about it. It's best to cease the topic, you understand?”

Somi nodded. She sighed and continued keeping an eye on the two, mainly on Sejeong.

+++

Days went by in the premises of IOI Academy, especially strange ones. Students have themselves in the meriting system, batting all the treachery towards one another and onto themselves. No one knew of the personal circumstances among others but in general, it was affecting almost everyone, even the most decent of people.

For Somi, it created a great toll. Stone Nayoung was already clear with her demerits and went to study. Somi had no demerits and was getting extra merits yet she had to attain a task for herself to help decent people with demerits. She managed to help them and her latest fellow student was Park Soyeon. And since Soyeon was framed and got demerits, she decided to join Somi for a makeup, also that Somi’s extra merit will be considered onto her hands in order to get herself zero demerits.

Somi and Soyeon were walking by the hallway as Sejeong and Dani were in front of them. 

“Yah Kim Dani! Kim Sejeong! How could you give the first placer a hard time? Don’t you know that her priorities are compromised because of you two?” Soyeon ranted.

“Shrug that off, Soyeon. Your demerits, remember?” Somi spoke. “Seriously, how could you ditch classes for dance lessons?”

“Mind me, Som. It's my passion. Also, I’m frustrated for your sake, even for Sejeong’s. Like hello? You two are decent placers and are aiming for Top 1, almost competing.”

“I heard that, Soyeon.” Sejeong sighed and Soyeon didn't say anything more.

The four got to the covered court again and were meeting with Teacher Bae. She disregarded the extra head and told Sejeong and Dani to clean the entire school. Sejeong sighed. Dani could almost blow a fuse.

“Come on, ma'am. Can't I just get exempted?”

Somi wondered. For Soyeon and Sejeong, they could freeze. Teacher Bae poked her stick by Dani’s shoulder. “Then get your father to exempt you.”

Dani was even more frustrated. Teacher Bae got her answer. “No? Then you'll clean the whole school with Sejeong. As for you two…” She pointed at Somi and Soyeon. “... watch over.”

She left the court. Soyeon was almost getting their asses to move yet the two were still frustrated. How could the two of them clean the entire academy?

“Somi, Soyeon. I'm really sorry for this, especially to you, Som.” Sejeong sighed. “But we can't clean the entire school in a day. It's going to take forever.”

“Just start with the court.” Somi sighed, pointing at the brooms. “Then finish with the outside and sweep the hallways.”

Sejeong nodded and got her broom and dustpan to start cleaning. Dani just stood there and went closer to Somi.

“Som. I'm sorry too. But you shouldn't have been involved.” Dani said. 

“You had to say it now. I'm curious, though…” Somi spoke. “... what did Teacher Bae mean? About you getting the opportunity to be exempted?”

Soyeon could almost jab Somi for saying but she was shocked that Dani didn't react. In fact, Dani was eager to answer for Somi. “I can't tell you how I can but yes. I can make an exemption.”

“Well, it would be unfair. But we're decent ones here. So if you're not eager to do it the hard way and you can make an exemption…” Somi inched closer. “... then put that to good use and get yours and Sejeong's off of this mess.”

“I won't.” Dani shook her head.

“Then start cleaning.” Somi said.

“If I have to do it, then go out with me.”

Sejeong dropped her broom and dustpan and Soyeon gasped. For Somi, she could only dilate her eyes but then, she raised an eyebrow. “You kidding me?”

“Don't fall for that, Som.” Sejeong said, almost hissing.

“Just clean.” Somi pointed to the extra broom and dustpan again.

Dani dropped her head and went to clean with Sejeong. Somi decided to watch them when she noticed Soyeon still shocked.

“Soyeon. What wrong?”

“Did Kim Dani just asked you out and got rejected by you?” Soyeon said.

“Yes.” Somi nodded.

Soyeon chuckled and gave my shoulder a pat. “Nice one.”

Somi shrugged as she and Soyeon watched Dani and Sejeong over. 

+++

Soyeon got her demerit off as Somi finally got herself out of her petty duty watching over Sejeong and Dani. It was now the end of the day and Somi was albeit pissed of wasting a day without attending classes despite of being excused. Sejeong and Dani were beside her, looking at her and feeling guilty again.

“Seriously, how could decent students fight? You two act like children.” Somi said.

Sejeong felt apologetic for everything. Dani was mostly guilty for Somi’s case. The two got to the gate. Dani went to her motorcycle and was about to ride when she noticed something and grabbed Somi's arm. She looked dismayed.

“You got your arm scratched. What happened?” Dani asked.

“Really?” Somi looked at her arm and saw a deep fresh scratch. “So this was the little sting I was feeling? I don't know how I got this.”

Dani hopped off and scurried her bag when Sejeong mended Somi's arm in a snap. Dani hissed, hiding her first aid kit back in her bag. Sejeong sighed, putting a good old bandage on Somi's arm.

“There.” Sejeong smiled at Somi.

Dani harrumphed lightly and drove. She bided goodbye to Somi and sped off, almost hitting Sejeong by the side like a hit and run. Somi wondered yet Sejeong patted her back, saying that she shouldn't worry much about Dani.

“Sejeong.” Somi called.

“Yes?” Sejeong asked.

“Since you got ourselves in such a predicament, you owe me a study session. How about we go to the café this weekend?” Somi said.

“Okay…” Sejeong agreed, rooting the fact that she needed to make up for Somi. 

“Call the others so that we can have another group study.” Somi said and Sejeong obeyed instantly.

+++

Somi got to the cafe early, ordering an Americano all while she read her book. A ring was heard within the premises and she saw Sejeong. She checked her watch and it was already five minutes after the agreed meeting time. Sejeong saw Somi, sitting face to face with her.

“Where’s everyone?” Somi asked.

“They have their own appointments. So it’s just the two of us,” said Sejeong.

“Hmm... how about we invite the other people?” Somi suggested. 

“Who would you invite?” Sejeong asked.

“Dani, Park Soyeon, Haeyoung, even Hanareum.” Somi said. “Since it’s just the two of us and the rest of the Top 11 are busy, why don’t we invite the others? Maybe you have classmates in mind. We can invite them too.”

Sejeong never considered inviting others for a group study other than her squad in the Top 11. They would find it almost a tough situation to bear and at the other side of the coin, they would feel inferior. Sejeong was almost shocked Somi had some gut to do that and it made her utterly impressed.

“Dani won’t be coming. Haeyoung agreed. Soyeon too.” Somi said.

“Well... can I call Kim Nayoung?” Sejeong asked and Somi nodded.

Sejeong and Somi invited some people over. They started to study together and Haeyoung and Soyeon came over. Sejeong was obliged to greet them just as Nayoung came. However, Nayoung froze seeing Somi and the others.

“Hey, Nayoung.” Somi greeted.

“Hello, Somi, Soyeon…” Nayoung almost raised an eyebrow as she saw Haeyoung. “... and Haeyoung.”

Soyeon knew of Nayoung’s cringe with regards to students below her tier, Sejeong too. But then, Somi cuts that tension as they began to study. It was less tense compared to the sessions with the Top 11 yet Nayoung kept that sense of competition going. Haeyoung would find it hard to cope up sometimes but Somi always helped her out. Sejeong smiled of the sight. It lasted for a while and when the day ended, the five of them got out of the cafe. 

“I’ve learned so much. Thanks for inviting us, Somi.” Haeyoung said.

“You’re welcome.” Somi said, sharing hi-fives with Soyeon and Haeyoung.

Sejeong smiled of the sight again. Nayoung could roll her eyes. “You shouldn’t be influenced by lowly students such as Haeyoung. Now the 1st placer and Soyeon are into it.”

“Don’t say that, Nayoung. Somi and Haeyoung were our classmates before.” Sejeong said.

“Somi is considerable but Haeyoung? She made a bad choice to rank down. Now look where it got her.” Nayoung said.

“Nayoung.” Sejeong grew serious.

“I needed to say it. Sorry.” Nayoung said. “Look…” Nayoung patted Sejeong’s shoulder to face her. “... I had a great time. Thanks for inviting me. The next time I study with you, include Mina and Suhyun, okay?”

“Okay.” Sejeong said.

“Let’s have dinner together.” Nayoung offered.

“Sejeong~”

Sejeong focused her attention on Somi. Soyeon and Haeyoung bid their goodbye and Somi got closer to Sejeong and Nayoung. 

“Somi, you should join us for dinner.” Sejeong said.

“Okay.” Somi agreed.

“On second thought, I need to pass. My mom just called.” Nayoung said, hastily grabbing her phone. “Maybe some other time, Sejeong.”

Sejeong would’ve insisted yet Nayoung was already far. Sejeong wondered as much as Somi did. 

“So it’s just the two of us, then?” Somi asked.

Sejeong turned around to face Somi, giving the eye-smile Somi liked. “Sure, Somi. Let’s go.”

+++

Sejeong got home again and for the first time in a while, she got home with a smile. It was all because of a dinner with Somi. She got to her room, doing the usual routines and resumed studying. She took down notes, all while reminding herself of the IOI Exam around the corner. One date also came up and Sejeong’s blood almost boiled.

It was the date that wrecked her friendship apart with Dani.

“Sejeong.” She looked up to see her mother with a plate of food. “You need to eat as you study.”

“Okay, Mom. Just put it by my table.” Sejeong said while writing.

Her mother did just that as she went to look at her daughter studying. She also got a glimpse of the calendar and said. “It’s almost a decade ever since Evelyn passed away.”

“You got her name wrong again.” Sejeong batted. “And you had to remind me.” She almost broke her pen. “I need to study now, Mom.”

“Okay. But please don’t cram yourself.” Her mother said. “Take it easy.”

Her mother left her and Sejeong resumed. But then, it hit her as she threw her pen away and sighed out of frustration. 

Again with the frustrations… was the only thing Sejeong thought.

+++

It was another day and the class of Section B had gone quiet as they decided for a study session inside the classroom. Somi was reading as she saw Dodaeng waving at her outside. Somi got out silently and greeted the two.

“So how are you with Sejeong and Dani?” Yoojung asked.

“Sejeong’s almost over with her part of the demerits. I don’t know much for Dani. She still has a long way to go to get zero demerits despite of giving her my merits.” Somi said. “She seems pretty chill about it, though.”

“That’s because Dani has her ways. She can just be exempted.” Doyeon chuckled.

Somi froze, facing the two. Yoojung slapped Doyeon for saying as Somi was reminded of the same question from a few weeks ago.

Come on, ma'am. Can't I just get exempted?

Then get your father to exempt you.

“Tell me.” Somi began. “What does Dani have to do with superiority in this academy?”

“It’s a topic that must not be discussed, Somi. Trust me. It’s distracting and it’s a petty topic so don’t ask again.” Yoojung said.

“Speaking of which, we didn’t get to come with you and Sejeong for a group study. Let’s have one later. I’ll tell the rest,” said Doyeon.

“Rain check. Sejeong and Dani will be cleaning all laboratories and I’m still watching over. Hanareum will be coming too since she has a demerit.” Somi said.

“Somi, you’re like a savior to the demerit-merit system. You’re giving away extra privileges.” Yoojung spoke.

“Not everyone can have it, only decent people.” Somi said. “Anyways, duty calls.”

“Alright. See you, Som.” Dodaeng spoke.

+++

Somi did the usual watch for Sejeong and Dani and Hanareum joined them. That went on for a while when the next week came. Every junior in IOI Academy gathered around as the post shocked them.

“What the... how could they post students who have demerits?!” Yeunjung exclaimed.

Sejeong and Dani’s names were cleared. The students who’ve helped Somi were cleared too. Chanmi and her friends have been cleared. But the indecent ones were cleared too and Somi was pissed by it.

“Somi…” Chaeyeon went to calm her.

Somi looked up and was shocked of the list. The merits were merely one-digit values but it was the number of students that shocked her. She was also shocked that Hanareum’s demerit was still there despite of doing community work.

“Aigoo... the school has gone to again.” Sira sighed. “It seems like most of us are offering our friends as sacrificial pancakes. But look where it got us…”

“What do you mean, Sira?” Seojung asked.

“We shouldn’t even dare to offer our friends as sacrificial pancakes in the first place.” Somi mumbled through gritted teeth.

“What justification do you have to say that, Somi?” Shin asked, crossing her arms. “How can we even trust anyone at this rate?”

“Because I trust everyone here.” Somi said, making the juniors fall quiet. “Some teachers, especially Teacher Jang, trust us to make our own decisions as long as we don’t fail on our duty to study. But if you were decent enough in mind and in heart, you wouldn’t act reckless and just report anyone, fearing of getting less chances of getting merits.”

“Somi has a point.” Park Soyeon defended. “She’s been helping me and everyone else get merits.”

“Really?” Sohye and Mina were shocked.

“Yes. But only to decent students who are innocent in the fiascos and those who have jurisdictions that don’t cause any casualty inside school premises.” Somi said.

“And would we believe that?” Haerim batted. “How can we even be sure that you mean what you say?”

“Because she helped me.” Dani said, making everyone gasp. “And you…” Dani pointed at Haerim. “... remind me to kick your if you don’t shut the hell up.”

The bell rang and everyone decided to go back to class. Somi and Haeyoung were about to go when Haerim held Somi’s collar and would deliver a punch when Sejeong came in and punched Haerim instead.

“Sejeong!!” Somi stopped her. “Are you crazy?!”

Some witnessed. Chungha even got herself towards them to calm Sejeong down. Section A witnessed it and Dani came closer and Haerim made a run for it. Everyone who witnessed didn’t dare to report it.

“What are you doing here? Who are you to interfere?” Sejeong hissed at Dani.

“I just saved your from another demerit, Sejeong. You should be thankful.” Dani spat.

“I didn’t ask for your help. I only did that to protect Somi.” Sejeong gritted her teeth and stormed off.

“Sejeong-”

“Chungha. Go to class. Now.” Sejeong demanded.

The rest of Section A didn’t dare to comfort Sejeong. Chungha nodded and went with them. Somi was still on her place and Sejeong putted a hand on her face, knowing that she had gone frustrated again. 

“Sejeong…” Somi went closer slowly. “... you didn’t have to…”

“Sorry about that, Somi.” Sejeong said. “Maybe we can talk about it somewhere else?”

+++

Somi and Sejeong got to the same rooftop and calmed themselves from the tension a while ago. Sejeong started conversation. “I’m sorry. You must have been surprised.”

“I was. Even though I can see a mentally frustrated student, I would’ve thought you were the composed one. But like I said before, even the gentlest of mountains can erupt when you least expect it.” Somi said. “But still... thank you, Sejeong.”

“I didn’t like what Haerim did to you. I thank you too…” Sejeong said. “... you said something relatable that it makes me smile.”

“I see your point and what is there to worry if you’re reported? You’re a decent student, you made a name in this school, our parents are part of the parental administration, and we have privileges... so why worry?” Somi spoke.

“Same as your jurisdiction, Somi. It’s like... all students should get equity of what the privileged ones deserve. I also want to imply that hardwork and knowledge make up a better world.” Sejeong said. 

“I see. But tell me, Sejeong…” Somi said. “... why are you frustrated?”

“It’s all in working hard and aspiring a lot. It created a toll that it made me frustrated whenever there’s something wrong. All people have their own starting lines and getting to the finish line takes time. I had a great start and fast pace but why do I feel worried that I won’t get to my own finish line? Will there ever be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?”

“But the finish line won’t matter. What matters is the journey as we aim on finishing.” Somi said.

“I would be refuting but…” Sejeong looked at her. “... I’m at ease, Somi. Thank you.”

Somi nodded and Sejeong felt calm for the first time in a while. And for her, Somi changed her way of calming down completely.

For Somi, she was grateful for Sejeong. She may not be able to comfort much but one thing’s for sure. She has her trust in Sejeong as much as she has trust on everyone.

The academy may be but Somi hoped for a silver lining above it all.

+++

Chungha would’ve been decent this day. The classes went well, even Sejeong was alright after what happened awhile ago. But as she was reminded of the fact that she saw her and Somi by the rooftop, she could almost sigh in frustration.

It was the break and Section A were on their businesses. Sejeong got her book and went outside like the rest. However, Chungha stayed. 

“Chungha.” Soomin called her. “Aren’t you going outside with your girlfriend?”

“Yeah.” Seojung said. “Sejeong would be at the library by now.”

“Shut it.” Chungha hissed. “I’ll catch up later.”

+++

“How could you help a lot of students out in a time like this?” Mina asked her.

“Seriously, Somi. There’s the IOI Exam to focus about and here you are, doing martyrdom towards the rest of us.” Yoojung added.

“It’s like in our situation. We respect that, Somi. We even thank you for that. But don’t do it too much. Who knows, they’d get abusive towards you.” Doyeon said.

“It’s fine, guys. I can still manage plus I only help decent students.” Somi reasoned.

“Okay. But please don’t overwork yourself in helping. Focus on studying.” Sohye advised.

“Right.” Somi nodded.

The break was over and all of them had to go back to their respective classes. Somi was walking around towards the main building when she witnessed something. She saw Dani as she was slapped by an older foreign man. Somi thought it could be her father.

You brat! He spoke.

Somi was shocked that she understood English yet she kept herself hidden. It was wrong to meddle but she couldn’t help her curiosity.

It’s been almost four years and you now say that you’ll turn yourself in?! Is that best friend of yours really important?!

You ask me that? Somi heard Dani. How could you even ask me that? Because of what you did, I couldn’t think about her. I even thought it would be a crime to do so.

What’s done is done. Dani’s father spoke. I did all that I could. I kept my morales and protected my only daughter against a speculation. I paid them plenty and did everything because I know that my daughter isn’t at fault. If you want to live at my ways, do as I say. Start off by getting rid of this motorcycle and let me get you a car.

Your ways? Dani spoke. So I have to follow your way to pay everyone to get out of certain dilemmas?!

Dani’s father couldn’t say a word and left her. Somi felt that he was gone as she went to Dani, asking her if she was okay.

“How long have you been hiding?” Dani asked.

“You found out. Sorry…” Somi mumbled.

“Nevermind. How can I be okay if I just got hit by my father?” Dani added.

“Sorry again…” Somi spoke, looking down.

“Hey. Don’t do that. I feel pathetic.” Dani sighed. “If you want me to feel better, then eat with me.” Dani went to her motorcycle and tossed the extra helmet to Somi. “Get on.”

Somi thought it was too quick but she agreed. She and Dani rode to Subway and ordered a sandwich each. Somi had been to Subway before but she couldn’t help but eat well. Dani ate too and she couldn’t help a chuckle as she looked at Somi. After eating, they went somewhere else. Dani stopped by a repair shop for accessories. Somi wondered then said. “This is why you and Sejeong fought, right? Because of a bracelet?”

“Yeah. I guess Yoojung told you.” Dani said. “It’s sentimental so I plan to get it fixed.”

Somi and Dani got inside and Dani showed the broken bracelet. The stone that was broken was rare that it was unassured if there was a stone like it. Nonetheless, Dani was still eager to get it fixed. Somi got a look at it.

“Hmmm... it looks familiar...” 

Dani had her eyes dilated. She clarified it. “What?”

Somi kept looking at it. She tried her best to remember but she couldn’t. Somi putted the box on the glass and rubbed her head. Dani grew worried. “You okay?”

“Huh?” Somi uttered. “Uhhh… yeah. I’m fine.”

Somi decided to get some fresh air. She got close to Dani’s motorcycle when she saw Sejeong. Somi smiled and waved at her. The second placer smiled and waved back, running towards her.

“What are you-” Sejeong stopped as she saw Dani going out of the store. 

Dani and Sejeong had a staring contest and Somi didn’t like the tension. Somi was about to say something when Sejeong held her hand. “How about we go eat?”

“She has already eaten, Sejeong.” Dani hissed.

“I’m not talking to you.” Sejeong batted.

“Fine.” Somi said. “Dani, I’m sorry… I-”

“It’s okay. I’m going home anyways.” Dani forced a smile. “Thank you for your time, Somi. See you tomorrow.”

Dani hopped on her motorcycle and sped off. Somi faced Sejeong who suddenly smiled. “Shall we go?”

“Okay.” Somi sighed and nodded.

Since Sejeong suddenly asked her out of the blue, Sejeong gave Somi the right to decide what to eat. Somi was full from the sandwich but she didn’t want to offend Sejeong. She decided that they get ice cream.

The two got to an ice cream parlor and ordered, with Sejeong paying for both orders. They got a spot and ate heartily while enjoying each other's company.

“What made you stroll around town, Sejeong? Shouldn’t you be studying?” Somi asked. "You don't study when it's just the two of us."

“I’ll just lax again. I’d ask you the same thing.” Sejeong said as her face grew dim. “Why are you with Dani?”

“I was comforting her. She got scolded.” Somi reasoned.

“Next time, don’t hang out with her. She can be an accident prone.” Sejeong said.

“Watch your words, Sejeong.” Somi said.

“Sorry.” Sejeong said. “But when you do plan something, let’s go together.” 

“Whatever you say, Sejeong.” Somi sighed and ate again.

“Do you want some more?” Sejeong said.

“This is enough.” Somi said. “How about we study?”

"Can we just talk?" Sejeong asked.

"Swear to me that you'll study when you get home." Somi said.

Sejeong nodded. Somi got her notebook out and Sejeong doodled with her. The two exchanged drawings and reactions throughout the day and played along, not realizing that it was almost evening.

“Heol... we should go.” Somi said.

Sejeong nodded. The two finished their desserts and went to the bus stop. Somi and Sejeong sat down as Somi asked something. “When is the IOI Exam?” 

“Two days from now.” Sejeong answered.

“Heol... time flies too quickly.” Somi sighed. 

“Which reminds me... why aren’t you preparing as the rest of us?” Sejeong asked.

“After all that has happened... I decided to get back to my place as 50th. Look, I may be just and all but maybe this is what life’s way of saying that I should lay low.” Somi said. “I’m procrastinating. I won’t study and plan to fail the exam if I have to.”

“Somi…” Sejeong held her hand. “... it’s not your fault. Don’t do it to yourself.”

Somi could only nod. A part of her agreed yet another stuck to her commitment of failing for the sake of the academy and its students. But who is she to tell the flow of events after this? At the end of the day, it’ll be on her own hands.