Chapter 4

School 2018!

Somi was at the field by the sink, washing her face off. A poke greeted her and she looked up, only to see Dani. “What’s up, Somi~”

“Oh, hey, Dani.” Somi greeted back. “I’d ask you the same thing.”

“Heard about what happened to some of your friends in the Top 11, Som. Must’ve been a wreck.” Dani said.

“It isn’t. All had ended well.” Somi said.

“I see.” Dani nodded.

Somi resumed washing and stopped when she heard another voice. She looked up and was shocked that Dani was gone and there was a bottle of isotonic water. Somi wondered and really loved isotonic water that she took it. She drank some and looked to the side, seeing Sejeong.

“Hey, Somi. Nice drink you got there.” Sejeong smiled.

Somi had the conclusion that Sejeong didn’t give her the drink. Could it be Dani who gave her this? But then, she couldn’t ask as Sejeong patted her back. “Come. Let’s have some lunch.”

“Okay.” Somi accepted.

+++

“Heol... what a whopper for someone who’s stooped so low.” Haerim chuckled. “I could be thankful that she whipped you for once, Soomin.”

“Shut up.” Soomin hissed.

“You owe us one, Soomin. You even involved Chanmi and I with demerits.” Kim Nayoung said.

Soomin was about to hiss when Chungha came to them. Shin was with them and let Chungha sit with them. Although it was unpleasant to sit with students who made her friends had demerits, she couldn’t decline Shin. She was still her friend after all.

“Hey, Chungha. Join us.” Chanmi offered.

Chungha nodded and sat next to Shin. Soomin and Haerim were whispering lightly and Chungha sighed. “Make some sense, you two? I heard about it already. No need to whisper and all.”

Chanmi and Kim Nayoung chuckled as Soomin and Haerim shut their mouths. Chungha sighed and had her eyes dilated when she saw Sejeong with Somi. It would’ve made sense that they hung out together. They were next in Rank and were in the Top 11 but seeing the two of them made her albeit jealous.

“Are you sure you’d trust your girlfriend like that, Chungha?” Shin asked.

“Yeah.” Chungha nodded.

“You should. Sejeong is decent in relationships.” Kim Nayoung said.

Sejeong saw them and bid Somi goodbye. Somi saw Haeyoung and Park Soyeon and went with them as Sejeong went to their direction, getting an extra chair to sit next to Chungha.

“What were you doing with Somi, Sejeong?” Chungha asked.

“Hanging out for a while.” Sejeong asked. “Is it wrong?”

“It’s not.” Chungha smiled.

“Yah, Lee Soomin.” Sejeong faced her. “What’s your problem? Why'd you choke Yeunjung?”

“She provoked me, Sejeong. And you know there are times where people need to defend themselves in their own ways.” Soomin said.

“And did you really have to do that?” Sejeong asked, almost pissed.

“Yes. She sounded threatening.” Soomin reasoned.

“Knock it off, Soomin.” Kim Nayoung hissed.

“Sejeong, please…” Chungha held her hand, trying to calm her down.

“Aigoo…” Sira spoke as she played her guitar. “... calm yo , guys…”

“Don’t get involved, Sira,” said Chanmi.

“What? Can’t I stop a fight from happening?” Sira shrugged, got her guitar, and left them.

Sejeong sighed and got up. Kim Nayoung would’ve stopped her but Chungha came with her and they left together. Nayoung sat back down as Chanmi calmed her down.

“Heol... what a mess you made, Lee Soomin.” Nayoung chuckled.

“Why me?” Soomin batted.

“With a little threat, the school had stayed put for a while, just in time for the preparations for the fourth mock exam plus the IOI Exam.” Haerim said.

“True. It’s about time the administration let their heads down.” Nayoung chuckled.

“You think they’ll oppress us again?” Chanmi asked.

“Hmm... let’s see.” Nayoung answered. “But let’s hope not.”

+++

The Class of Section B were doing their usual businesses, all while they talked about the fuss of what happened between the ‘99 liners and the three girls involved in the fiasco. For Somi, she didn’t give a and just studied.

“Heol... you study in the amidst of a fiasco?” Siyeon asked.

“Yes. Despite of what happened, it needs to be ceased.” Somi said.

“Our first placer is right!” Chanmi said and everyone who gossiped kept their mouths shut. “Besides…” Chanmi placed a hand to pat Somi’s shoulder. “... I only got demerits and not you guys so it’s about time we minimize the info now.”

Somi nodded and got Chanmi’s hand off. They got to their seats as Teacher Bae and Teacher Jang came inside. They were shocked.

“Good morning, class.” Teacher Jang greeted lightly.

“Despite of the feud which got some members of the Top 11 and the Class President of Section B involved, another fiasco has happened.” Teacher Bae began. “A culprit has snuck in the faculty room and has stolen an answer key, which could cost her stay here in the academy. So from this day forward, we’ll be checking your personal belongings.”

They all whined but Teacher Bae slapped her stick on the table and they were instructed to wait in the hallway. The inspection took so long but as they got in, they gasped to see some confiscated stuff lying on the table. Owners of those things were asked to stay in front as the teachers validated the owners of those things.

Sira got herself in trouble thanks to a speaker. Shin was caught with bottles of soju and a cigarette. Shiori was busted with her lesbian magazine and Hyeongeun with her swiss army knife.

“You will be meeting me at the schoolyard. That’s a demerit for each of you.” Teacher Bae said.

Teacher Jang got their things and they left. Once they did, Shiori and Hyeongeun lost their patience and faced their Class President.

“What the was that, Prez?! Now you got us affected thanks to a fiasco you got yourself into!” Hyeongeun started.

“Tch! I wasn’t a main culprit of it, you idiot!” Chanmi yelled, losing her cool.

“Why?! Why do you have to be involved in it and make complicated?!” Shiori ranted.

“Do I have to repeat myself to get it in your stupid heads?! My involvement has nothing to do with what's happening to the both of you!” Chanmi yelled.

Hyeongeun was about to slap her when Somi blocked her way, making her stop. Chanmi was shocked just like the rest of them.

“Som... stand aside.” Hyeongeun hissed.

“Don’t, Hyeongeun.” Somi pleaded professionally.

“Yah, Jeon Somi-”

“The President said to stop, right? So stop.” Somi said and sighed. “Do you want your kicked by me, the student in Rank 1? I may be nice and all but a fight will provoke me. And if you do try to fight me, I’ll break your bones. And come on…” Somi chuckled, making everyone flinch. “... we can’t add problems to this forsaken hell. So stop, okay?”

Hyeongeun huffed and sat back down. Chanmi sighed and went out, with Shin following her. Shiori could almost piss herself as she sat down. Somi placed her hand on her forehead as she got out too, ignoring Haeyoung and Siyeon’s calls.

Sejeong happened to pass by and noticed Somi in a bad mood. She was also shocked. She never witnessed Somi so crossed before. Sejeong ran after her. “Somi!”

Somi stopped and faced Sejeong. “What is it?”

“What’s wrong?” Sejeong asked. “Mind talking about it?”

+++

Sejeong and Somi got on top of the main building, sitting by the edge as the cool breeze of Seoul slapped their skins. Sejeong thought about Somi’s look a while ago as she asked her about it.

“With the fiascos happening, everything has fallen into place that it pisses me off.” Somi answered.

“Me too. I could almost punch Soomin’s face for getting our friends involved too.” Sejeong shared. “What happened to your part, Som?”

“Some classmates had confiscated stuff in their bags and ended up blaming the class President just because she got involved on the first fiasco. How stupid.” Somi sighed.

“Well, Soomin would be the main culprit and I could just... ugh…” Sejeong huffed. “Did you protect Chanmi?”

“Yes.” Somi nodded.

“Why?” Sejeong asked.

“Because I don’t tolerate bad events, Sejeong, especially fights.” Somi answered.

“Who knew innocent people can get themselves involved for the sake of others? It’s almost too risky and tacky.” Sejeong commented.

“It is... but in order to obtain peace, it must be done.” Somi added. “If not, we’ll suffocate ourselves in hell. You of all people know that you really need to get out of the suffocation or prevent yourself against it.” Somi looked at Sejeong. “It’s like my presence made you feel out of the pressure now.”

“Hmm... you’re right. To think I kept it for so long.” Sejeong smiled.

“Aigoo... who cares if we do this and do that then risk ourselves? I’d rather be thankful for it because I did something for the better good.” Somi grinned as she let the wind kiss her face.

Sejeong chuckled of Somi as she joined her in relaxing. That took a while until the sun rose and it was time to go home. Somi and Sejeong walked together yet Sejeong had to go ahead because of Chungha. Somi respected that and they bid goodbye almost too quickly. Somi walked around, skipping lightly when she saw Dani. Somi waved and the ever silent Kim Dani waved back with a smile.

"You going home now?" Somi asked.

"Yeah." Dani nodded. "Say, Som... how about I take you home?"

"You don't have to, Dani." Somi refused.

"I insist." Dani smiled and tossed a helmet to her. "You like riding on motors?"

+++

Dani and Somi rode to a nice mansion. Dani whistled as they stopped, Somi thanking her for the ride. Dani nodded her welcome and went home. As she rode and took stop on her own home, Dani was pissed to see a vehicle from the school authorities. Dani huffed and got in, greeting her parents, together with the Academy President.

"Danielle, I got your meal ready." Her mother smiled.

"Ne." Dani bowed.

Dani is such a exemeplary student. She's doing well in Student A. I gave her opportunities to participate and get instant merits but she wouldn't let me.

That's just my daughter. She plays fair and square, even though her father is against it. But in the end, we let her decide what she wants to do in school.

Dani sighed and ate her meal instantly. She washed the dishes as well and got to her room, slumping on her bed after a hard day at school. She thought about everything she heard and sighed. It was the reality.

+++

Who would've thought that a third fiasco was coming way as Hanareum was cornered by delinquents known as Blessings? She would've stopped them. She was a Taekwondo player after all. But she could never tolerate physical violence.

"Yah! Isn't Jeon Somi your friend?! Why don't you just steal her notes?!" Solee hissed.

"Why would I do that?! I would never!" Hanareum batted.

Hanareum defended herself but she never fought back. The rest of them kept on hitting her and they stopped when Somi passed by and noticed them. Somi stormed towards them as she worried of Hanareum with bruises on her arms. Somi faced the delinquents. "What is this?"

"Buzz off, first placer." Solee batted.

"Or you'll regret it. I'll call my mom about this." Yumi smirked.

"Heol... just because your mother is the principal in the academy? Please... how immature of you." Somi batted.

Yumi hissed and landed a punch when Somi dodged it. All of them assaulted yet Somi was too agile for them that they grew tired. When they ran out of energy, Hanareum was saved by Somi. The two got away and Hanareum told Teacher Jang. The three ran back and the girls were still there. Teacher Jang gasped as he saw the missing answer sheet from the second fiasco. He sent the delinquents for detention. Hanareum was sent too.

"But sir-"

"She was a witness. As for you, Somi... you're exempted. It's a privilege you earned." He said.

Somi sighed as they were sent away. She scratched her head as she thought that everything she had witnessed was just too ed up.

+++

The answer key was returned yet there was another sheet with someone's name on it. Joonhee had been abused to return it to the culprit. And who knew that beyond those delinquents was another culprit from Section C?

Joonhee gulped and gave it back to the said student. The student, however, got pissed and slapped Joonhee. "Yah! What is the meaning of this?!"

"They said to return it. I'm sorry..." Joonhee whispered.

"Yah! You got the wrong person, idiot." She hissed and choked Joonhee. "Throw it."

"Yah!" Chaeyeon stopped them. "What's going on?"

"Stand aside, Prez." She snickered.

"Haerim." Chaeyeon got the paper Joonhee had with her name on it. "Are you a witness of the second and third fiasco?!"

Everyone in Section C was shocked. Haerim had gone mad and assaulted Chaeyeon this time. Some stopped them while most of them didn't dare to interfere. Some students in Section A and Teacher Jang passed by and stopped them. Haerim got pulled out by Soomin as Chaeyeon got Heehyun, Dani, and Jieqiong to help her out.

Teacher Jang had gone mad for a considerate teacher. Haerim was too as she called her mother. Heehyun, Dani, and Jieqiong asked if Chaeyeon was alright as she explained everything. Jieqiong would've initiated action yet Heehyun and Dani had done it for her. The fight was ceased, with Teacher Jang sending Haerim to the detaining room. Chaeyeon huffed and grew scared.

"Don't worry, Chae. We'll take care of it." Dani said and Heehyun nodded. "Why don't you take care of our friend here, Jieqiong?"

The two got out just in time for the end of Section C's class. Chaeyeon huffed as Jieqiong grabbed her hand and took her outside for some fresh air.

+++

"Damn it!" Jieqiong hissed as she ended the call. "I called Heehyun and she said Haerim only got demerits. It's not enough for punishment."

"Sorry..." Chaeyeon mumbled. "... it's my fault."

"You just did what needed to be done, Chaeyeon. You're Section C's President after all. I can't believe Dani didn't do anything about it. Jesus..." Jieqiong sighed. "... but tell me Chaeyeon... why would you get yourself involved?"

"I don't want to tolerate fights... like Somi."

Jieqiong froze. She hissed in her thoughts. She never thought she had that spot for Somi and she was jealous as hell. "I know it's courageous and all but sometimes, you can't just involve yourself all the time for the sake of others. It's tacky."

"Do you think... Joonhee will get kicked out?" Chaeyeon asked.

"It would be best if Haerim was kicked out but there's this system. Haerim's parents are part of the parental administration. And Joonhee? She has bad grades and she's from a poor family... but that doesn't mean she's a delinquent. Aigoo, people this days become stereotypes and say stupid things."

"Heol... I never thought I'd hear that from you, Jie." Chaeyeon smiled. "But you're right."

"Yeah..." Jieqiong could only nod. 

Chaeyeon thought about it as she huffed and stood up, making Jieqiong wonder. "Chae?"

"Being a motherly student and as President of Section C, I must take action." Chaeyeon said.

+++

Chaeyeon would've disgraced herself for doing something platonic but then, it had to be done. Joonhee was in the brink of expulsion and Chaeyeon conducted a petition against it. Only countable classmates signed. Chaeyeon asked other sections for it and only countable ones signed too. Her last stop was at Sections A and B. Chaeyeon knocked and Chanmi got her attention. 

"What is it, Chaeyeon?" Chanmi asked as she looked at the document. "Petition? Heol..." Chanmi snickered. "... you think I'd let the class sign that?"

Chaeyeon cringed. "Joonhee was a victim. Haerim was the main culprit, so to speak."

"What is that, Prez?"

Chanmi sighed and went back to her seat. Somi got out and wondered of Chaeyeon's presence. "Hm? Chaeyeon?"

"Hey, Som. You heard of the fiasco with Joonhee, right?" Chaeyeon asked.

"Is this the petition? Hold on." Somi smiled and got the paper. 

She asked Haeyoung, Siyeon, Sira, and Eunwoo to sign. They agreed to it and signed. Somi also signed hers and passed their petitions to Chaeyeon.

"Thanks, Som." Chaeyeon hugged her lightly. 

"No problem. Let me come with you to Section A's room..." Somi grinned.

Somi and Chaeyeon went to their room. The rest of the Top 11 in the class wondered and went closer to the two. Mina got the document Chaeyeon was holding and gasped. "What in the... how could you jeopardize this-"

"If you won't sign it, I will." Jieqiong sighed and got a petition paper. 

The rest of them really gasped. Dodaeng had gone daring and signed. Sejeong got a document too, making Mina, Yeunjung, Chungha and Nayoung gasp. Sejeong sighed and submitted her petition last.

"Thanks for helping, guys." Chaeyeon bowed. "You too, Somi."

Somi nodded. Jieqiong noticed that and gulped. As Chaeyeon decided to leave, Jieqiong asked to come with her to which the latter agreed. Somi watched the two go and smiled.

"That's nothing to smile about, Somi." Chungha said seriously. "Chaeyeon's action could jeopardize the system and her stay here in the academy."

"But to be completely honest, our parents are part of the parental administration so... Chaeyeon would have a privilege to do that." Yoojung spoke.

"Still... it's risky." Nayoung sighed. "You shouldn't have helped, Somi."

"Yah, Chaeyeon is our friend. And besides, Joonhee's innocent." Somi interjected.

Some students in Section A were looking that they decided to settle the matter outside. As they got to a spot, Nayoung faced Somi. "What proof do you have?"

"I defended Hanareum from iljins in which Joonhee was a part of. Her situation in the group was different from the recent fiasco because she was forced to do it." Somi sighed. "I know... because I know what it feels like to be outcasted and pushed off to the wrong path." Somi said.

Nayoung couldn't say anything as much as the rest of them. Somi sighed and walked away. Sejeong grew worried and went to comfort the girl. "Somi..."

"It's fine, Sejeong. I can't force them to agree anyways. I know they're too scared to do so." Somi said. "Anyways, thanks for signing the petition."

"No problem." Sejeong smiled. 

"I need to go and clear my mind. We have a mock exam to prepare for after all." Somi said.

Sejeong didn't want to leave Somi with a bad mood but she sighed, deciding to let her calm herself down. 

+++

Another day passed and Somi was walking along the hallways to find a place to study when she met Dodaeng. The two were like little kids as they went closer to Somi and Doyeon headlocked the girl. Yoojung was too short that she could only hug Somi. Somi chuckled of the gesture yet she was still down.

"Don't mind of what happened last time. We understand your point, Somi." Doyeon said.

"Yeah! Cheer up, my chingu~~" Yoojung said, doing her aegyo.

Somi let go of Yoojung's hug as Dodaeng made cute gestures. Somi laughed and did the same. "Okay~"

"Stop right there!!"

The three wondered as they saw Teacher Jang and Teacher Kim chase a hooded person. The three gasped. Somi sprinted quickly, leaving Dodaeng to catch up to her. The wild goose chase went for so long. Yoojung tripped herself that Doyeon had to carry her on her back. Somi was agile as she ran passed the teachers and was right behind the culprit. Somi was about to reach for the hood when Teacher Bae tackled the culprit. The rest of them gathered around her as Teacher Bae took the hood off.

"What the..." Teacher Bae was about to blow. "... aish! Demerit for you!!"

+++

"Heol... another fiasco. Ugghh..." Doyeon sighed as she rubbed her back.

"Does this happen all the time?" Somi asked.

"No. This is actually the first in the history of the academy..." Yoojung mumbled. "... just as the time you transferred here, Somi."

"Watch it, Yoojung." Doyeon said.

"I accept that but it's not a justification of the whole change. I'm hurting nobody." Somi shrugged.

"True." Dodaeng nodded.

The two students who got in trouble got out. One chuckled and the other slapped her head lightly. Dodaeng approached them. "What was that, Suhyun? Haein?"

"I made an attempt to sneak in the faculty room and reenacted on how the said culprit would do." Suhyun said.

"I threw eggs by the main building because the system is ." Haein said, making Somi and Doyeon chuckle. "Also... the teachers and the academic head want to see you, Somi."

"Heol... why? She didn't do anything." Doyeon said. 

Somi shrugged and decided to obey. For the four students in Section A, they decided to go back to their room.

+++

"Report?!!!" 

"Yeah..." Somi sighed. "The academic head has made another decreed due to the fiascos happening. Students will be given extra privileges and merit points for reporting any threats within school premises. I even got some but I said to give them to the five of you and to Joonhee to avoid her expulsion." 

The '99 liners gasped and thanked her a lot. However, Nayoung wondered. "So that was the text received from the class Presidents. It sounded irrational."

"True. It's like the administration wants us to rat anyone out to survive the forsaken hell." Chungha added.

"So it's almost like random reporting just to get demerits?" Sohye raised an eyebrow. "Heol... how ridiculous." She looked at Sejeong. "What do you think of that, sensei?"

"It's ed up." Sejeong cussed. 

"But we can decide not to report each other." Jieqiong addressed and they nodded.

+++

"Have you heard about the decreed? It's messed up." Shin chuckled.

"Even if we decide not to report each other, how in the goddamn world can we trust that?" Kim Nayoung hissed.

"You know..." Haerim spoke. "... this has to do with Jeon Somi."

"What? Why?" Chanmi reacted.

"She was called by the academic head and addressed that matter to her personally. I heard it from Suhyun." Soomin said.

"Suhyun got herself in trouble." Nayoung face-palmed herself. "Nonetheless, we need to abide for that."

"What about Jeon Somi?" Soomin asked.

"She's not at fault for any madness in this school. But..." Nayoung spoke. "... she might have to pay the price somehow."

"You guys are so loud."

"You again, Sira..." Chanmi sighed. "What is it with you and eavesdropping?"

"It's not eavesdropping. I just have ears." Sira said as she played her guitar again. "I just hope that at the end of the day, random people won't be ratted out of this place just because of desperation. I mean... the school should've taught us that kind of empathy."

Sira stopped playing and left them. They watched her go and Shin just scratched her head. "She's weird sometimes..."

+++

Somi was chilling by the court as she got stressed of studying and the recent decreed. Her thoughts were disrupted by a bouncing ball as she looked to the side to see Dani, holding a basketball. Dani greeted her and she sat next to her. 

"Someone's down." Dani said.

"Well, the new decreed has pissed me off." Somi said.

"Shouldn't you be happy? I heard from Suhyun you got points for reporting and preventing fiascos from happening." Dani said.

"I would if it was rational to do that. It's the preparation for the exam. Students would be unfocused of it and think too much of merits, especially the ones with demerits." Somi said.

"Only countable students have done something bad, Som. Only they get distracted of it." Dani said. "Although majority of them are running honors and all."

"Glad you got that point taken." Somi chuckled. "But I'm mostly worried for the others far from this league." Somi pointed at the two. "It's pitiful and I want to do something about it. But then, there are restrictions."

"I see." Dani nodded. "So you'd take action when you have a chance?"

"Yes." Somi nodded.

"Cool." Dani said.

+++

D-5 before the fourth mock exam

It wasn't erased within the board of Section B's classroom. It was abreak and everyone was studying in preparation when someone from Section D came inside the room, heading towards Jungmin. It was Yoo Sua.

"You ing weasel!" She ranted as Jungmin looked up slowly. "Now you're happy to get merit points for ratting a friend out?"

"What? I didn't report anyone." Jungmin defended.

"You're the only one who knows this..." Sua hissed as she did a gesture. "Yah! Let me see your phone!"

"This is insane." Chanmi mumbled. "Yah, Yoo Sua! Get out of this room!"

"Why would I show you my phone?!" Jungmin batted. 

Somi and Haeyoung went to stop them. "Stop it."

"Liar!" Sua yelled at Jungmin.

Sua and Jungmin were in the brink of fighting when they heard a click. Everyone stopped and looked at Younseo.

"Hey... you took a picture, didn't you?!" Jungmin grew mad, facing Younseo.

"No. It was just a selfie." Younseo batted.

It had gone bad. Chanmi didn't want to get involved. Somi would've been decent to stop them but she was too pissed to do so. She was too distracted from all the noise and slammed her book on her desk, leaving the room. As she did, she saw Suhyun and Haein dressed up. Somi called them.

"Hey, Somi. We're doing community work for merit points." Suhyun said.

"Is that possible?" Somi asked.

"Yeah. Teacher Jang said so." Haein nodded. "See ya, Som."

Somi bid goodbye and thought of the students she encountered who had demerits. She snapped her fingers and thought of addressing that to the rest.

+++

Creativity was another phase of learning and it was inevitable that Teacher Bae would teach that to students. It was the usual class in Section B and everyone was given a chance to compose their own poems and shared them to the class. Some had nice compositions, others funny, and some even too vulgar to be considered as a piece of literature. Eunwoo was saying hers about dogs and derp faces that made everyone laugh their heart out.

"Alright, thanks for that, Jung Eunwoo. Lastly... Jeon Somi." 

Somi got to the front and sighed, reading her piece. "Treachery by Jeon Somi."

A violation of faith, a break of trust
Because of it, life is just like rust
Wrongful demerits and risks of expulsion
A sense of hopelessness towards the wrong justification
Man comes to beg and kneel and cry and sulk
For the ruin of someone makes your fist want to beat a pulp
Treachery, I call you and your venomous meaning
And you will die in my hands and in my hurtful cling

Teacher Bae was bemused and the rest clapped for it. Eunwoo, Siyeon, and Haeyoung cheered, even Chanmi raised an eyebrow and was impressed. Somi bowed and got to her seat, thinking of her composition.

That's right. If I would be given an opportunity to find out culprits, I will kick their asses.

Somi got to her seat just in time for the end of another class. Teacher Bae left the room and Teacher Jang got in, giving something to Chanmi. Chanmi thanked him and Somi wondered so she asked her.

"Prez, what's with the key?" Somi asked.

"Well, for today, I would be distributing study forms for the class later. I also go into a bunch of rooms for security purposes. All class presidents have keys like this. And who knows..." Chanmi patted her shoulder. "... if given a chance that I pass my position to someone, it would be to you, Som. Then you can keep a master key too."

Chanmi got back to her seat and studied. Somi was almost flattered and somehow, she couldn't help but wonder of Chanmi's closeness towards her.

+++

Sejeong was walking around as she got to a bushy spot by the school. Sejeong got to meet someone and faced her. "Why did you ask for me to come here, Chungha?"

Chungha didn't say anything and grabbed Sejeong's arm. She wrapped one arm around Sejeong's waist and cupped her face. Chungha inched closer, aiming to kiss her when Sejeong had a stoic look. "Chungha."

That call made Chungha freeze and stop. Sejeong asked. "Why are you doing this?"

"Sejeong..." Chungha looked onto her eyes. "... why are you dating me?"

Sejeong was almost befuddled to hear such a question from Chungha. Sejeong sighed. "Because you're hardworking. You're kind... and you're pretty."

"Is that it?" Chungha asked. "Is that really it?"

"Chungha, what is the meaning of this? Why do you ask me all of a sudden?" Sejeong asked.

"It's because you always spend time with Somi." Chungha mumbled.

"It's not what you think it is. Somi had a rough start so I wanted her to feel comfortable when she studies here and hangs out with us. And besides, we're friends. Look..." Sejeong held Chungha's hand. "... don't get that into your head. You're my girlfriend and I like you for who you are. Nothing will change."

Chungha nodded and Sejeong kissed her forehead. Chungha sighed and they shared their hugs. Chungha let go first. "Sorry. I need to go for tutorials again."

"That's okay." Sejeong said. "How about I take you outside?"

Chungha nodded and she and Sejeong walked together side by side, holding hands. As they walked, they passed by Sira, playing her guitar. She sang and strummed a love song and the couple couldn't help but stop.

"How's the final jam coming along, Sira?" Sejeong asked.

"Good. Yebin and I are making arrangements. Although, I expected Jieqiong to join." Sira said.

"She had to play the pipa, Sira." Chungha said.

"I see." Sira nodded. "About the fiascos in the school..." Sira stopped strumming. "... it didn't happen before... until Somi transferred here."

"And what does that imply? That Somi is the cause of the madness in this hell?" Chungha asked.

"Impossible. Somi doesn't know how things work in this school to jeopardize against it." Sejeong added.

"And what proof do you have? Like how did the 50th placer get 1st place instantly? Why do you think she cares too much of the students here when she was outcasted by them during the first time she came here. It's almost weird for her to do that, you know." Sira explained.

"You're weird too. Why did you sign the petition in which Somi asked you to sign?" Sejeong asked. "Why are you suspecting her?"

"That petition was for Joonhee, not for Somi. I may have signed because Somi encouraged me to but that doesn't mean I can't suspect her." Sira said. "If you're worried that I'll report her, I won't, not unless I find proof of her."

"Don't even do anything reckless that could hurt our friend, Sira." Chungha added.

Sira shrugged and strummed again. Sejeong grabbed Chungha's hand to pull her to the exit gate as she saw Chungha's father driving their car. Sejeong patted Chungha's back as she bidded her goodbye. Chungha pecked Sejeong's cheek as she left. When Chungha got to the car, she faced her father.

How was school, dear Annie? Her father asked in English.

It was okay, Dad. Chungha answered.

And Sejeong? How is she? Is she still in first place?

Second. A transferee took her place. Remember Jeon Somi? The one I talked to you about?

Yes. Is she really that smart? Nonetheless, I'm proud of you to maintain your stand in the Top 11, Annie. Continue to work hard, okay? Her father said.

Yes, Dad. Chungha nodded.

The drive went quiet again. But then, she couldn't get Sira's words off of her head.

+++

Doyeon hissed as she placed a medicinal patch by her back. She carried Yoojung suddenly and with all the running, it almost made her back sore. Yoojung was there and she apologized, almost crying.

"Aish, don't mind about it, Yoodaeng. It's nothing." Doyeon answered.

"But look at you! You're hurting~" Yoojung whined.

"It's fine. This will be healed soon enough." Doyeon sighed and stretched her body slowly.

Yoojung decided to help her ease her pain by rubbing her back slowly. The contact made Doyeon's heart pound but she kept in mind of their sisterly relationship in which she could never dare to break.

"Why did you stop to carry me, Dodojjyu?" Yoojung asked.

"That's because you tripped yourself. We were rushing to catch Suhyun that I had to carry you so that we can catch up together."

That reason made Yoojung's heart pound this time. Doyeon and Yoojung froze, almost looking at each other's eyes. A palpable tension happened in their spot, only filled with hearts beating fast and faces almost flushed out of nowhere.

"Why are you two staring at each other?" They gasped as Yeunjung came, drinking chocolate milk from a box. "And what happened to you, Doyeon-ie?"

"Lee Suhyun." Doyeon said.

"Oh... was that about the fiasco with Haein? I gotta hand it to her, she's a dork but she's feisty." Yeunjung said as she sipped. "She should be a warrior of dares. What if I did that-"

"In your dreams." Doyeon hissed, throwing a crumpled wrapper of the patch towards her. "We already got into demerits, you cider! I'm not falling for that again."

"Agreed." Yoojung said. "Now go, wander off, and drink that milk of yours."

Yeunjung nodded and went into her own world as she drank. For Dodaeng, they could only sigh of her.

+++

Eunwoo was chilling by the canteen, viewing memes and making some as she ate some cookies. She scrolled on her phone and stopped to ogle at one picture. It was from their webpage. She liked the way Stone Nayoung and Kyungwon made it for their school but she focused on the person in that picture.

Zhou Jieqiong.

Zhou Jieqiong may not be in 1st place but she's the only person no one dared to mess with. She had strong connections in the school. And despite of having parents in the parental administration due to her Rank, she earned respect from the students themselves and by herself. She was IOI's Number One Beauty and everyone's Favorite Pick. And Eunwoo couldn't stop ogling about her. Eunwoo was her number one fan.

"You're in it again." Siyeon sighed and sat next to her. "Is that Jieqiong again?"

"You guessed it. Isn't she gorgeous?" Eunwoo asked and showed her a side profile of Jieqiong.

"You always say that. I know she's pretty like hello? Your friend here is a Beauty herself." Siyeon pointed at herself. "Don't get your hopes too high, Eunwoo. Jieqiong may be popular and have students give her respect and admiration, but she already had eyes for someone else."

"Aish! So what? Just let me admire her, will ya?" Eunwoo hissed.

Eunwoo almost messed with Siyeon when Jieqiong happened to pass by. Eunwoo felt her world stop as she got a good look at her.

"It's her..." Eunwoo ogled and slapped Siyeon's body hard.

"Aish..." Siyeon hissed and looked at Jieqiong. "Heol... Jieqiong had leveled up again."

Jieqiong passed by and most students averted their eyes towards her. For Eunwoo, she was like a fangirl who couldn't go to concerts and got to see her idol in a of luck. Jieqiong sat by the table and ate chips, all while looking by the distance for someone. Another person passed by and everyone also looked at her. She saw Jieqiong and sat down with her, making everyone ogle at them.

"She's the one, Eunwoo." Siyeon chuckled. "The Number Two Beauty."

"Man~" Eunwoo pouted.

At the table, Jieqiong was now face to face with the person she was waiting for almost a while. "Chaeyeon."

"Pinky, can you do me a favor?" Chaeyeon asked.

"What?" Jieqiong asked.

"I have to pass documents by MBK High and I'll run late if I just take the bus. So... please?" Chaeyeon requested.

Jieqiong sighed and motioned Chaeyeon to follow her. They got to the parking area where Jieqiong parked her motorcycle. She tossed Chaeyeon a spare helmet, told her to hop in and then drove to MBK High.

The ride was always quick and Chaeyeon always held onto Jieqiong tightly. Not only that, she loved her moments like these with Jieqiong. With the quick ride and all, she made most of the seconds passing by to be with her. They got to the place and Chaeyeon hastily hopped out when Jieqiong stopped her.

"Take the helmet off." Jieqiong said and took it off for her.

Chaeyeon could blush hard of the proximity of their faces. Jieqiong could too, with her hands fixing strands of Chaeyeon's hair. But then, Jieqiong had to bust the moment off since Chaeyeon was in a rush. "Go now."

"Thanks, Pinky~" Chaeyeon smiled.

Chaeyeon rushed inside and Jieqiong smiled. She got the helmet back onto the compartment and drove back to school.

+++

The fourth exam had come and passed for all students in IOI Academy. Now they would be preparing for the IOI Exam. And as much as everyone was happy another phase of hell has passed, there was still another one... and another one that all students would never expect to happen.

"I can't believe this..." Siwon sighed. "... another part of hell may have ended but there's still the IOI Exam and the recent demerit-merit system."

"That's right," said Kim Woojung. "I can't believe the administration is letting us take the matter into our own hands."

"Hey, guys!" Haerim spoke and everyone's ears were on her. "What would you react..." Haerim smirked. "... if I were to tell you that this happened because of Jeon Somi?"

"That's absurd, Haerim!" Chaeyeon defended.

"What? You do know that this system happened because Somi was called by the academic head. She told Somi about it and not all of us? How unfair." Haerim said.

"Don't jump into conclusions, Haerim." Sohee spat. "Somi is too decent to ever do that. I'm sure there's a reason why Somi couldn't announce it. She's just any student like us. She's not even President."

"Yah, Prez!! Why didn't you say anything?!!" Woojung reacted, growing mad.

"There's no justification to the decreed! You think I'd just tell everyone about it?!! A system like this isn't worthy enough to be told because it's ridiculous!" Chaeyeon batted.

Woojung and some indecent students stormed out of the classroom. Sohee could cuss at Haerim as Chaeyeon stormed to follow them. As she got there, she was shocked as the said girls faced Somi on her seat. Chaeyeon made action. "Somi-"

"Yah, Jeon Somi! I heard that the recent system has something to do with you!" Woojung exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Somi batted.

"Yah! I heard that this whole goose chase of a system happened because the academic head told you about it!!" Miso said and everyone inside gasped.

Somi was blowing up a fuse. Chaeyeon got inside and scolded her classmates and comforted Somi but Somi stood to face them. "It is..." Everyone gasped. "... but it's just a way of this ty hell against me and now you're misinterpreting it. And you think I accepted those merits? I don't. I only stick to that fact that fiascos need to be stopped."

"And you think we'd believe that?" Shin Hyehyeon batted. "What the , newbie?!!"

"Listen, you fools! Your oh-so-good classmate here made a conspiracy with the academic with regards to the recent system!" Woojung exclaimed and pointed Somi out.

"There's no proof to that!" Chaeyeon batted.

"Somi would never do that!" Haeyoung backed her up.

"That's right!" Eunwoo said and some agreed.

"Is that even true? Yah, Somi?! What the heck did you do?!" Kim Yunji babbled. "You know you just jeopardized our school records and our friendship, right?!"

"We expected much from you and then that came out? Heol..." Shiori huffed. "... what a lie from the 1st placer..."

Somi sighed as a lot of comments filled her hearing and looks of disappontment flooding her vision. Her friends were arguing, even Chaeyeon was scolding her classmates of this madness.

*SLAM*

"Not again~!!!!" Chanmi yelled. "All of you should stop. There's no proof that Somi did it out of treason and there must a motive that this hell is using against us."

"Heol... you're defending your classmate, Heo Chanmi?! Haerim told us about it."

Chanmi and Somi's eye dilated and so did everyone else's. Woojung clenched Somi's collar. "If you're so smart and at the top and all, what are you going to do about this mess?! What will you do about it?!!"

"Let Somi go!" Chaeyeon pushed Woojung off, slapping her.

"What is this?!!" Everyone stopped as Teacher Kahi came inside.

Chaeyeon checked on Somi if she was fine as the others didn't do anything. Teacher Kahi called out those students creating a ruckus and sent them to detention. Chaeyeon and Somi volunteered and Teacher Kahi sighed and nodded.

As Chaeyeon and Somi walked in the back, Chaeyeon asked. "Somi... you okay?"

Somi looked up at Chaeyeon and she nodded. "I'm fine."

She wasn't.