Chapter 2

School 2018!

It was day seven before the third mock exam but students in IOI Academy had come for a big surprise. Today, a sudden announcement was posted and everyone in the campus was requested to come and see that said announcement.

With the announcement came students who raced themselves like people in a marathon. For the desperate ones, they’d compete on who would get towards the school’s main bulletin board first. For the said group of friends in the Top 11, they were at the back, running with the rest of the students, with Doyeon and Yeunjung running like Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

“Jesus, slow down~!!” Yoojung yelled as she ran like a cute chinchilla. “Chaeyeon and Sohye can’t even catch up, you weasels!”

Nonetheless, everyone got to see the main bulletin board. And what made it worse was that it was just a sort-of recap of the current standing of the senior high students from Rank 1 to Rank 97. For the Top 11, they made their own way to the front, except that Somi wasn’t with them.

“So... what's with this?” Jieqiong asked.

“It’s just some ty work again.” Doyeon sighed.

“Did you discuss this at the meeting, Penguin?” Mina asked Sohye, all while eating chocolate.

“Yeah…” Sohye nodded then whispered to Nayoung. “Prez A, I could’ve sworn that this was just for discussion but what is the meaning of this?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s for demerits.” Nayoung whispered back.

Teacher Jang came in and the students kept their mouths shut. He looked around and asked Nayoung. “Where’s Jeon Somi?”

“Here!”

Everyone looked up and there was Somi with Haeyoung. Somi placed her hand down, “I’ll just come down after the announcement or am I needed there with the rest?”

“You’re needed, Miss Jeon. Please come closer.” Teacher Jang said. “You too, Miss Park.”

Somi and Haeyoung went down. Haeyoung went with the others in Section B as Somi went to gather with the rest of the Top 11. Sejeong patted Somi’s back, greeting her with her signature eye smile.

“Okay, everyone…” Teacher Jang began. “The said announcement has been posted for a particular reason. The administration has uplifted these for school privileges. That means, students who are in the Top 1 to Top 22 will be given 100% privileges, Top 23 to Top 35 will be given 75%, 50% for Top 36 to Top 61, and 25% for Top 62 to Top 97.”

Majority had their reactions. For Somi, she just shook her head in disapproval and disbelief.

“However, students can gain more privileges according to their Ranks. So, you’d earn them if you maintained your Rank or rank up.” He added. “As a starter, first privileges would be based on food consumption here in this institution, which will be settled later at lunch. So, you may now go back to your classes.”

Most of them sighed and went back. For the decent ones, especially the Top 22, they took a longer gaze. Soomin was pissed as she then went to Somi and was about to clutch onto her collar when Somi herself stopped her hand.

"If you have something to rant, just say it without any physical violence." Somi said.

Sejeong would've stopped it too but Chungha didn't let her. Nayoung and Sohye would've done the same but they saw that Somi was able to deal with it herself that they didn't interfere. For Soomin, she let herself go and ranted. "Yah! This is all because of you! If you didn't transfer here, this ing system wouldn't have been uplifted."

"Who says so?" Park Soyeon batted. "It's just how the school works, you imbecile. Nothing of this goddamn system has changed."

"But they sure upgraded it." Juna mumbled.

"Still! Your presence is making the system even tier." Soomin batted at Somi again.

"Enough!" Kim Nayoung stopped them. "That's enough lame business for today."

Soomin stormed off. Kim Nayoung and Chanmi joined her while the rest still stayed. Chaeyeon and Sejeong went closer, wondering if Somi was okay.

"It's fine. An outcast such as myself got used to backbiting, how much more of this?" Somi chuckled.

"Still... it's disrespectful." Chaeyeon said. "Shall we tell Teacher Jang?"

"That's not necessary." Somi answered.

The bell rang and all of them had to go back to their classes. For Somi, she scratched her head, seeing the faces of Section B all on her as she got in and sat down. 

She sighed. Who knew the school was ?

+++

Lunch came as the senior students were lined up according to their Rank. Sejeong got first in the line following the others. Teacher Kim was tallying the attendance and wondered where Somi was.

Somi and Haeyoung rushed and were panting. Haeyoung had to get to her part of the line but Somi thought it was unfair. But then, she didn't have an option but climbed up towards her spot on the line.

"Okay. Now that all of you are here, Top 1 to 22 will get in first." 

Somi got in and was served with every food on the menu. Somi thanked the canteen lady and got a table. She was also looking ahead, waiting for Haeyoung.

"Food shouldn't be waited, Somi." Sohye said and sat with her. "You need to eat before it gets cold."

The others in the Top 11 joined her. Somi was still uncomfortable but she didn't mind, although she wanted to sit with Haeyoung and the others.

"Excuse me." Somi spoke and grabbed some food and went to a table where Haeyoung was.

The others wondered. But for Sejeong, she just smiled. They all looked at Somi talking with Dani, Park Soyeon, and Haeyoung.

"Such a precious kid." Chaeyeon said as she ate gracefully. "She gave some food to our friends. How sweet."

"Although one of them shouldn't be treated that way..." Jieqiong mumbled.

"Yah!" Doyeon stopped Mina and Sohye fron getting food on Somi's tray. "She'll come back for it, shikshins. She just stopped by."

And Somi did. The others were already emptying their trays and Somi was still in the brink of taking a first bite of her bulgogi.

"Mmmm... so delicious~" Somi spoke.

"Delicious, indeed." Mina added and ate.

"Can I ask?" Somi spoke and they nodded. "Who eats the most in here?"

"Mina and Sohye. But in comparison, it's Sohye." Doyeon answered. "Not only does she eat a lot, she eats very well."

"That's true." Jieqiong added. "There was a time when we were so full, even Mina... yet Sohye kept asking for noodles."

They all shared laughter and Sohye ranted lightly. Somi thought it was too hilarious. 

"Well, at least I don't waste food and always empty a tray." Sohye said as she slurped the last of her soup. "Since we have 100% privileges, I'll go for seconds."

"Me too." Mina said and the two went back in line.

"They could just insert in front, you know." Yeunjung chuckled.

"But Sohye's always fair in terms of queues. Mina would follow her like she's gaga over Sohye." Yoojung chuckled.

"Seriously?" Somi reacted.

"That's right. Besides, I taught her that." Sejeong grinned. "Say, Somi... what are you doing later?"

"Help with philanthropic work with Haeyoung. Why?" Somi asked.

"The ten of us are going to the café to study later. You should come." Sejeong said.

"It'll be fun." Doyeon and Yoojung chimed. 

"You should, Somi," said Nayoung.

"I'll catch up later." Somi grinned.

"Nice." Jieqiong did a thumbs-up.

Mina and Sohye came back and the squad of 11 resumed their lunch.

+++

The said group study was moved in another evening due to other works. Nayoung, Chaeyeon, and Sohye would still extend their meeting with Kyungwon and Chanmi, Section A would have a makeup class, and Somi would be helping Haeyoung with her work.

Somi and Haeyoung met up. Somi wondered as Haeyoung threw a pebble at the window.

"I need Eunwoo to get my bag down." Haeyoung said. "Yo, derpface!"

Eunwoo poked her head out as Haeyoung motioned her to get her bag down. Eunwoo threw it but the flyers were scattered around the concrete floor and bushes. Haeyoung and Somi gasped as Eunwoo did a peace sign.

"Aish, this idiot..." Haeyoung sighed and picked the flyers up. "When I get back, I'll kick your ."

"Whoops." Eunwoo spoke and did another peace sign before going back inside.

Somi helped Haeyoung in picking the flyers up. It would've taken a little longer but they were shocked of the extra hands. They looked up, only to see Sejeong.

"Uhh... hey, Sejeong-ssi." Haeyoung greeted.

"Hi, Haeyoung... Somi..." Sejeong greeted back as she handed them the flyers. "Here." She took one. "Break a leg on the flyers."

"Oh, thanks Sejeong." Somi nodded.

"Yo, Som..." Haeyoung poked and whispered. "... does she want us to get injured?"

"Aigoo, that's not what it means. I'll explain later." Somi said. " See ya, Sejeong."

Sejeong nodded and bid ado to the duo. Sejeong couldn't help but grin at Somi who was helping a friend out. Sejeong walked around again and got pulled by someone. Sejeong looked the person who pulled her and chuckled. "For someone who can be so cute, you sure are strong."

"Meanie." Chungha pouted. "Come on. I still have to meet my tutors plus you'd be tutoring Kim Nayoung later."

"Oh, yeah! Right, right..." Sejeong nodded as she and Chungha walked together.

Sejeong and Chungha were a couple, getting admirers along the way for being the ideal couple with beauty and brains, almost like a match made in heaven. It was almost diabolical for them to get attached but love can pave way sometimes, even in the life of a high school student.

Sejeong and Chungha got to the exit where there were admirers from their school, even in their neighboring all-girls schools. Sejeong aided Chungha first, escorting her on a car her mom drove. 

"I'll take it from here." Chungha smiled. "Call me when you're done, okay?"

Sejeong nodded and watched the car speed off. Sejeong sighed as another car came in, all while she felt a pat on her back.

"Let's go?" Kim Nayoung spoke.

Sejeong nodded as the door of the car was opened by a chauffeur. Sejeong and Nayoung got in and was greeted by Nayoung's mom.

During the trip, Sejeong tutored Nayoung of every subject. Nayoung wowed and was learning, also fascinated of Sejeong's knowledge. She couldn't argue. Sejeong was indeed a pillar of wisdom. 

"As I expected, Sejeong. You never fail to impress me and Nayoung. I hope the next time the IOI Exam comes, Nayoung would be in the Top 11, and even better..." Nayoung's mom spoke. "... she'd get up back on track, finally beat you in your game and become first."

Sejeong cringed internally. Nayoung was almost pissed at her mother for saying that, although she also had aspirations to get into the Top 11... back again...

Nonetheless, Nayoung offered to let Sejeong come to her private tutorials and Nayoung's mom agreed. They stopped towards the said building and got out. Before going, Nayoung's mom gave Sejeong a cheque of 50 dollars and Sejeong sighed, thanked her, and accepted it.

"Do well on the tutorials." Nayoung's mom said and the two nodded.

The car sped off and Nayoung and Sejeong were about to go inside when Sejeong spotted Somi and Haeyoung giving flyers.

"Why would Somi work in here? She's financially stable. Her parents are landing on such prestigious jobs." Nayoung spoke. "She's just like you, Sejeong..."

Sejeong looked at Nayoung with an albeit glare, "And just like me, she wants to work and learn herself to earn at an early age without depending on her parents' money."

"Okay, whatever you say..." Nayoung said.

Sejeong saw Somi looking at them and they waved at each other. Nayoung was befuddled but then, the two of them got inside for tutorials.

+++

Chaeyeon was walking towards the parking lot to get her bike. She was off to her tutorials in a tertiary institution and also reminded the rest of the Top 11 for the group study tomorrow. Chaeyeon looked at the side mirror of her bike and got out some powder, applying it on her face, but mostly at her nose.

"Stop putting too much or else your nose will look like Voldemort's." 

"That's not even funny nor nice, Jieqiong." Chaeyeon replied back as she continued to apply the powder on her face.

Jieqiong shrugged and got to her motorcycle. While putting her helmet on, Chaeyeon scurried her bag and got something for her. Jieqiong stopped and wondered, all while accepting what Chaeyeon gave her.

"Motor accidents can be crucial. Please drive safely." Chaeyeon said as she got on her bike.

"Keep safe too, Chaeyeon." Jieqiong mumbled back.

Chaeyeon nodded and went on. Jieqiong watched her fade onto the distance before getting onto her motorcycle, going to the place only she knew where.

+++

"There are three necessary steps in order for a cell to divide. They are DNA replication, Karyokinesis and Cytokinesis..."

Mina was on her way to home. But she started to review her notes, especially in Biology... literally, it's a study of life but for her, it's more like a study of hell. 

"The five stages of Prophase 1 are... ugh! This is so nerve wrecking!" She exclaimed and kicked a stone, "Calm down, Kang Mina. I swear if you pass this ty exam, I'll treat you to a dessert bundle and get drunk for eternity!" She did a fighting pose and proceeded to her notes again.

"Waaaaaaaah!" Mina began to get pissed off for ninth time, throwing her notes on the floor, "Why is this subject too complicated? I mean, I don't care studying about life in the first place!"

"You need to study Biology for you to learn how life is started and for us to understand every living thing and its importance in this planet, Miss Kang Mina."

"Wow Sohye-ya, you should be a great philosopher someday," she tapped Sohye's shoulder lightly and the penguin girl gave her a cute chuckle. 

"More like, I want to be an Ornithologist to learn more about my relatives in Antartica." They laughed hard. Sohye handed over her notes that she collected on the ground, "You should take care of your notes Mina-ya. It's your key for a better future!"

"You and your wisdom words!" Mina released her cute pout that made Sohye squeal inside. 

"Advice my friend, you should refrain yourself from kicking random stones out there, before Stone Nayoung sees you and you'll become a lifeless cinnamon roll." Sohye said with a worried look on her face.

Mina shook her head and smiled, "I can handle that giant stone with my powerful aegyo... achu~ achuuuuuu~"

"Aigoo... stop doing that or else-"

"Else what?" Mina asked while looking at Sohye's sparkling eyes.

I'll kiss those beautiful lips of yours...

Sohye began to blush hard like one of the species of red tomato and coughed lightly to break a tension between them. "Ah.... hehehe... nevermind!" Mina could only shrug back and Sohye released a deep sigh.

They started to walk. Sohye decided to join Mina's company because she didn't want to go home... the truth was that she wanted some quality time with her shikshin buddy. She took a secret glance at Mina who was busy reading her notes again.

"Leptotene, Zygotene, Pachytene, Diplotene, and Diakinesis-"

"Pardon?"

"That's the five stages of Prophase 1."

Mina gave her a shocked face, "Omo omo omo!!!! Wait, I'll take it down! Thank you very much! I owe you one."

"No problem! Anything for my cinnamon roll," Sohye smiled, "Getting ready for the upcoming exam?"

"Yeah. I must remain standing on my current Rank. That school or should I say, Satan's lair was good at playing some s to all of us."

Sohye looked at her with full of disbelief, "Yah, watch your language..."

"What? It's true! The whole school system ! They only made us suffer more... aish, I don't know what's on their shabby minds."

Sohye somewhat agreed with Mina. They couldn’t do anything but only obey...

In their Top 11 circle of friends, Sohye's knowledge was always unpredictable. She might be one of the quietest students in the Top 11 and included in Class F, but her ability was mad, just like Albert Einstein's.

"You seem so relaxed, Sohye-ya. I envy you."

"Ah..." Sohye shrugged, "Well... I can still handle my overflowing stress. You should do it too, don't take pressure over your shoulders."

Mina nodded and continued to read her notes. For her, she must survive and would  do everything to maintain her current Rank.

"So..." Sohye started another conversation. "Are you free this time or nah?"

"Umm, I'm planning to go home now. I need to review more... why do you ask?"

Sohye felt embarassed and began to fiddle with her fingers, "Well, I'm heading to the nearest dessert shop here... and I want to invite you but it turns out you need to review, so I'll just-"

Mina interrupted her by tapping her shoulder with a pout, "Babo, you didn't say that in the first place! Yeah, I'll come with you, no worries."

"Are you sure?"

"Bruh, we're going to our precious food! When did I said no to food, hmm?"

"Well... you have a point." Mina laughed at her questionable look, "So let's go, my cinnamon roll?"

"Yep yep, my penguin! Desserts, here we come!"

They walked to the dessert shop Sohye was talking about happily, not knowing the fact that Sohye had clearly tried to ask Mina out on a date, but mini dates could work.

+++

*BOOM*

The laboratory was filled with a lot of smoke as random students got out to relieve themselves from the smell of chemicals. Inside, two jokesters and a loud woman coughed in the aftermath of their mistake.

"How could you put a lot of sodium bicarbonate in the flask?!" Doyeon asked.

"And a lot of vinegar and food coloring too. You even poured some on my head. Now I smell like salad!" Yoojung batted.

"What-*cough*-I wanted to make a large baking soda volcano!!" Yeunjung cheered.

"YOO YEUNJUNG!!" Chaerim and Taeha screamed. 

Yeunjung chuckled and ran away from the lab, all messy and stinky of chemicals as Chaerim and Taeha ran after her.

"Bruh, what was that all about?" Yoojung wondered.

"Yeunjung pulled a prank on the two as she wanted to prove Newton's Law of Interaction." Doyeon said.

"And how did she do that?" Yoojung asked.

"She lured the two with one sausage and they bumped into each other." Doyeon answered.

"That's insanely brilliant." Yoojung spoke as she got a mop. "But we need to clean this mess."

Doyeon nodded and got another cloth. She and Yoojung cleaned up the whole laboratory, all while finding the tension between each other all so obvious.

Doyeon and Yoojung knew each other since third grade and were like bread and butter, David and Goliath, even like Bonnie and Clyde. With the times at IOI Academy fighting their chances to get to the top, they made their friendship stronger and made sure neither party wasn't left behind.

For Doyeon, that feeling grew bigger due to her infatuation towards the midget.

Doyeon shrugged that and cleaned the flasks and dishes. Yoojung mopped the floor stained with orange food coloring and essences of acid and base. The two took almost an hour to finish cleaning the place and Yeunjung finally came back after the wild goose chase. Yeunjung sighed, taking Doyeon's cloth and cleaned the rest of the mess.

"Yah, Yoo Yeunjung, we're almost-"

"Go ahead and clean yourselves up." Yeunjung interrupted her. 

"I'll stay to help, Yeunjung." Doyeon offered and got Yoojung's mop. "You go ahead, Yoodaeng."

"Come on, Dodojjyu." Yoojung grabbed Doyeon's hand and got the mop off of her grasp. "We'll go ahead, Yeunjung."

Doyeon and Yoojung left the laboratory as Yeunjung continued to clean. Once the lab was spotless, Yeunjung sighed hard, throwing the cloth in the trashbin as she placed her dirty hand onto her forehead.

Yeunjung sighed as she had a weary heart and a weary infatuation towards Doyeon. But who would stand a chance to break Dodaeng apart? And what right would she have to do that?

"Omo-it's Heo Chanmi..."

Yeunjung's senses triggered as she looked by the aisle and saw Chanmi walking with Kim Nayoung and Soomin. Chanmi always had the aura in which the oppressed cringe of, adding fear to their senses. For Yeunjung, she found Chanmi's whole existence disgusting, like a side effect to an evolutionary process that required less care for individuals such as herself.

Chanmi saw Yeunjung and waved. "Hey, Yeunjung. You should clean up by now."

"Yeah, yeah..." Yeunjung nodded, shooing her off. 

"What the-is that vinegar?!" Soomin almost puked.

"Behaviour, Lee Soomin." Nayoung said. "I do apologize for Soomin. She can get frisky sometimes." 

"Ooookaaay..." Yeunjung spoke. "Excuse me. I must go and clean myself up."

Yeunjung locked the lab and went out to clean herself up. But seeing Chanmi today, she thought that her day had gone out for the worst.

+++

"If i is less than or equal to ten, then printf("Hello world!") else return 0." 

"Woah! It worked!" Kyungwon cheered. "How do you understand codes, Stone?"

"It's all about the logic." Nayoung said. 

"You'd better be an IT professional someday, Stone." Eunwoo said, typing the same code on her IDE but it returned an error. "Yah, Stone Nayoung. Mine isn't working!"

"You're using Java, Eunwoo. Java uses System.out.print(), not printf()." Nayoung said. "C, remember?"

"Oh, yeah..." Eunwoo chuckled and tried again. "Should we play DOTA later? Heehyun and the two Soyeons will join us! I'll be support!"

"No. I need to study and learn CGI programming for the academy's webpage. Kyungwon and I will be working with the interface." Nayoung said.

"I'll be studying too. And don't forget your wireframe for it. We need it by midnight." Kyungwon added.

"Noted." Eunwoo said.

Nayoung had to go for her tutorials. She packed her gadgets and bit ado to the two. While walking on the hallway, she saw Yeunjung all cleaned up, drying her hair up.

"Done with the goose chase, Yeunjung?" Nayoung asked.

"Yes. The plan had been a success, HAHAHAHA..." Yeunjung cackled.

"You're an sometimes." Nayoung spoke then wondered when she saw Yeunjung's left hand all bloody. "Yah!" Nayoung reacted and pulled Yeunjung to sit by a bench, all while mending her hand. "How did this-"

"You already know, Prez." Yeunjung snickered at herself. 

"Where is she?" Nayoung asked.

"I don't know and I don't give a ." Yeunjung said. "Thanks for the bandages."

"Will you be okay?" Nayoung asked.

"Yes. Besides, I'm ambidextrous. I'll be fine studying." Yeunjung added. "See ya, Prez."

Nayoung gave a nod as Yeunjung waved goodbye with her now healed hand. Nayoung got out, using her phone to search for IT-related articles when she bumped into someone.

"Omo-Pres!" It was Kim Nayoung. 

"Hey." Stone Nayoung replied with the same expressionless face.

"Smile some more, Stone." Ki Heehyun said as she passed by them. "DOTA later?"

"Studies first." The two Nayoungs spoke.

"Fine. Maybe Chanmi can join you, Kim." Heehyun cackled.

"I heard that." Chanmi rolled her eyes. 

Stone Nayoung was flustered to see Chanmi with their squad of gamers. She excused herself and went to her tutorials.

She couldn't help herself but like Yeunjung, Nayoung found something in Chanmi that had got into her nerves.

+++

"Kroooooo~"

"Aish, shi..." Somi was shocked but she then saw Dodaeng. "Aigoo, I meet the joksters on a morning. How nice."

"We're glad you'd say that." Doyeon chimed. "So you're coming to the group study later?"

"Yeah. Turns out Haeyoung has her break to study. I'd study with her but she said I should join you guys instead." Somi said as she resumed reading a book on quantum mechanics.

"So it is a yes?" Yoojung asked.

"I said it before." Somi chuckled. "I'm coming."

"Nice!" Dodaeng spoke.

"Speaking of nice, I need to meet with the principal for something. See ya." Somi got her things, bidding goodbye to the Dodaeng duo.

Somi walked inside the main building and got to meet the principal, talking about her pre-assessment documents, her Rank, even her personal life. Somi had to go with the flow and talked when needed. It was almost a consultation that everyone needed to have but only the privileged ones could get.

After withstanding an eerie discussion, Somi decided to go home when she saw Sejeong going out of the faculty room. Somi grinned and greeted the student. "Sejeong~"

"Somi~" Sejeong greeted back. "How's the talk with the principal?"

"ty, albeit annoying." Somi spoke honestly, making Sejeong laugh. "What about you?"

"I talked with Teacher Jang of my extracurricular activities for the student evaluation." Sejeong answered. "Are you coming to the group study later?"

"Yes."

"Nice one, Som. Say... do you have something to do today?" Sejeong asked. 

"Read or sleep. Why?" Somi asked back.

Sejeong smiled, "Just curious. That's all."

"Well, I'm planning to buy some highlighters for the group study later." Somi said. "I'm heading to the mall now."

"I'm planning to buy something at the mall too. Let's go together." Sejeong said and Somi thought that it wasn't such a bad idea and agreed.

+++

Kyulkyung was done with her business and drove back home to get herself ready for the group study. As she got in, she had the usual greetings from her family and got to her room to get her stuff ready when she got a message from Chaeyeon.

From: Chaeyeonie <3

Pinky, can you pick me up here? Thanks.

How could Jieqiong say no? In fact, how could she not rush just to pick Chaeyeon up? Getting herself ready, she went down and got on her motorcycle and drove to Chaeyeon's place.

Jieqiong had been so caring to Chaeyeon and was always one call away from the serious student. In less than an hour, Jieqiong got to her place and Chaeyeon was already waiting outside, carrying all her books and a pack bag filled with strawberry treats. Now Jieqiong knew that and it was a fact. Jieqiong grabbed a spare helmet and tossed it to Chaeyeon.

"Come on. The others are waiting." Jieqiong spoke.

Chaeyeon nodded and hopped on as Jieqiong got her motor running. Jieqiong would be speeding up but knowing she had a passenger, especially when the said passenger was someone that she really cared for, she drove at a regular pace. For Chaeyeon, the sudden heartbeats came in as she wrapped her arms around Jieqiong's waist and enjoyed the ride. 

They arrived at the cafe and Jieqiong stopped as Chaeyeon got down. Jieqiong would've parked her vehicle when Chaeyeon motioned her to stop. Chaeyeon went closer and applied foundation, all while looking at the motorcycle's side mirror.

"Yah... that's enough foundation, Chae. Your face looks like a face splattered in white paint. Besides..." Jieqiong spoke. "... you're gorgeous without makeup."

Chaeyeon was somehow flattered but Jieqiong's tone was a no-no. "You can't decide for it, Jieqiong. So what if I have to maintain my look?"

"Whatever. Now go ahead. I still need to park this thing." Jieqiong said and drove on the back.

Chaeyeon sighed and went inside. In front of her was the Top 11, except for Somi and Sejeong.

"Where are the two?" Chaeyeon asked.

"They'll be here in a moment," said Doyeon. "And Jieqiong?"

"Here." A ring by the door was heard as Jieqiong came in, flexing her limbs.

"Where could Sejeong be?" Chungha asked again, looking around the cafe.

Another ring was heard as Somi and Sejeong came in at the same time. Chungha would've been suspicious but knowing that they were already complete, she was relieved that they could finally start the group study. 

"Let's go to our spot." Nayoung said to everyone.

All of them nodded and went inside a special room in the cafe. Somi was always last on the line and Sejeong would act as a guide, telling her not to worry and that they'd have a great time to bond as friends who aspired in their studies. For Somi, she couldn't help but began to get used to this.

+++

The group study of the Top 11 was a blast and Somi was actually having a wonderful time. She would gaze at her book on quantum mechanics as she watched the others study, almost curious of how the individuals assessed themselves to actually learn and comprehend various topics.

Sejeong was almost like her, easy-going and calm as she read her notebook. Yoojung was always the one who had an urge to memorize, constantly looking up at the ceiling as if all the answers were to be provided by the gods. Chungha was quiet and was always writing on her notebook which was filled with clean yet abundant notes. Sohye was also quiet but she always answered any question asked by any of the members correctly. Jieqiong looked like she was moping and chilling while eating gum but Somi could visualize a running mind, thinking deeply. Chaeyeon would sip on her strawberry latte and read. Doyeon was always writing but when a question popped out from her members, she would yell the answer, whether if it was right or wrong. Mina was almost hysterical, stuffing with chocolate as she memorized and read. Nayoung was the technical type, reading on slides and soft copies of documents and ended up making programs due to her interest in IT. And for Yeunjung, she would study by discussing to herself, almost like an annoying student and teacher at the same time.

"How do you study, Somi?" Yeunjung stopped and asked. "What technique do you use?"

"It depends..." Somi answered.

"On what?" Chaeyeon asked.

"From the material used, the time of day, even the mood." Somi enumerated. "I have my ways in studying. But mostly, I procastinate."

"Seriously?" Chungha reacted and Somi nodded. 

"Heol..." Dodaeng reacted.

"But there's no justification for that. How about we do a test run for you, Somi?" Nayoung suggested.

"Don't force her, Nayoung." Sejeong spoke.

"It's alright, Sejeong." Somi assured her. "Alright. Bring it on."

"What are the five insights of neuroscience?" Yeunjung asked.

"What kind of question is that? That's for college levels." Yoojung chimed.

"Prediction, Mind Reading, Responsibility, Treatment, and Enhancement." Somi answered.

"Woah... that's correct, Somi." Sejeong clapped lightly and Yeunjung nodded while gasping.

The rest wowed as Nayoung, Chaeyeon, Sohye, and Chungha took it down. Nayoung finished first as she raised her question. "Okay. What does this code translate? If i < 0 then printf("Hello") else printf("World"). Your i is equal to 7 times 110 minus 340 minus the square root of 100."

"The code would print "World". Based on the given formula, i is equal to 0. The if statement states a condition less than zero. The result of i wouldn't meet the condition so it prints the else statement."

Nayoung gasped. It was unnatural for the squad to see Stone Nayoung react and the fact that Somi answered a question with computer programming and mathematics combined.

"Me next." Mina said. "What are the accounting principles?"

"In general, it's assets, liability, and capital. The specified principles would include the three with drawing, expenses, and income." Somi answered and Mina rewarded her with a sponge cake in which Somi ate as the members looked at her with fascination.

"Wow! I have one!" Doyeon reacted. "Is there such thing as extrasensory perception?"

"There may be no topic in psychology quite as controversial, or as fascinating, as ESP. Forms would involve telepathy, clairvoyance, and precognition. However, critics argue that many of the effects demonstrated in ESP experiments can simply be explained by faulty methodology and sensory “leakage” in which participants inadvertently give away the answers.  The only extra-sensory feature of ESP would be, if this were true, the fact that people who can perform feats involving ESP are actually very good at reading people’s very subtle signals." Somi explained and Doyeon reacted with a loud 'OOOOHHHHH'.

"How do you even do that? How fascinating." Chaeyeon mumbled, fiddling with her pink pen. "My question would be..." Chaeyeon huffed as she searched her book of advanced studies. "I leave 40,000 won to Risa to hold on trust for my friend Heehyun for life. Heehyun may distribute the remainder amongst any of my other friends in such amounts if any as she sees fit. Explain what type of trust and/or power of appointment each of the following instruments creates and advise the parties as to their obligations."

"A question about law? I doubt Somi can answer that-"

"Risa is a trustee under a fixed trust. The trust is fixed because she has been given no discretion as regards the distribution of the property. Heehyun has been given a bare or personal power of appointment; she has been given the authority to allocate property that she does not own and she is not holding the property in question on trust. Heehyun is under no obligation whatsoever to exercise her power. The potential appointees (the other friends) can thus take no action if she chooses to ignore the power. If Heehyun dies without having exercised the power of appointment, the 40,000 won and any remaining income will be returned to Risa’s estate by way of resulting trust." Somi said, making Chaeyeon and Jieqiong shocked.

"I got mine." Jieqiong raised a hand. "What is an electromagnetic field?"

"An electromagnetic field, sometimes referred to as an EM field, is generated when charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated. All electrically charged particles are surrounded by electric fields. Charged particles in motion produce magnetic fields. When the velocity of a charged particle changes, an EM field is produced." Somi answered again and Jieqiong applauded.

"Your mind is so fascinating that I'd like to dissect it and see some working brain cells." Sohye said with a smile as she clapped.

"Bruh, that's insane." Yeunjung batted.

"No, it's not. It's cool." Mina batted back.

"Okay. Here are my questions." Sohye grinned. "What is the scientific name of the shark and penguin? Define their anatomies too."

"The shark, Selachimorpha, is an elasmobranch fish characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton, five to seven gill slits on the sides of the head, and pectoral fins that are not fused to the head. The penguin, Spheniscidae, is an aquatic flightless bird highly adapted for life in the water, and have countershaded dark and white plummages, and with wings evolved into flippers."

"Yay~!! Nice answer! Love the explanation! You get a stuffed penguin again!" Sohye cheered and tossed Somi a pink stuffed penguin.

"Haha... thanks." Somi grinned.

"Do you have a reference of that?" Chungha asked.

Somi shook her head and shoved the contents off of her bag on the table, making everyone gasp of the lack of reading materials. Chungha even checked her notebook to see doodles instead of notes.

"No notebooks for studying, no references, not even a highschool textbook in hand." Somi said.

"So why were you Rank 50 on the first week when you had the brain greater than Einstein's?" Sohye wondered.

"I didn't feel like it due to the major adjustment. But then, Eomma said that it shouldn't stop me for unleashing my potential so I did my best naturally this time." Somi reasoned.

"Hmm..." Chungha hummed as she formulated her question. "For a rocket to leave the gravitational pull of the Earth, it needs to reach a very special speed. Once it reaches this speed, the gravity of the Earth can no longer pull it back, and it can "boldly go" off into space. What term is used to describe this special speed?"

"Hmm... I remember one time I got that wrong in a elementary quiz but let me see..." Somi mumbled as she began to think. "... escape velocity?"

"Woah... that's actually correct." Chungha spoke. "Naturally 61% can answer that question." Chungha gave a thumbs-up. "I'm glad to know that you're in that population."

"Thanks." Somi said back.

"My turn." Yoojung raised her cute arms. "What is the concept of the third law of thermodynamics?"

"Absolute zero." Somi answered and Yoojung reacted more than she should, causing the others to laugh.

"Guess I'm the last." Sejeong said. "Hmm... I'll ask you about quantum physics instead."

Somi was a bit nervous. Her book was more on quantum mechanics so it'll be a little hard for her. Nonetheless, she wanted to try. "Alright, Sejeong."

"Here it goes..." Sejeong began and everyone had eager eyes and tension building up in their systems. "... state the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, word per word..."

Everyone reacted and Somi felt like her soul was being taken away. She placed her hand on her forehead as she tried to remember everything she read on her book, at least. After a few breaths, Somi began to speak. While at that, everyone had their notebooks ready, except for Sejeong.

"The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that..." Somi was thinking hard. "... it is impossible to know... both the position and momentum of an electron..." She gulped and almost crumpled her notebook. "... at the same time." Somi decided to eat more of the sponge cake to relive herself. "Was that it?"

Sejeong didn't say anything and just clapped slowly. "Wow, Somi..." Sejeong chuckled. "... you are one heck of a genius."

"Was that it?" Dodaeng asked again and Sejeong nodded and said, "She got it word per word."

Everyone cheered and Somi was albeit ashamed for that but to the rest, they thought Somi was blessed to be a gifted genius. Somi never felt pressured before but she loved a challenge. In fact, this was by far the best group study she had in years.

That went on for a while until it was time to go and separate ways. Jieqiong and Chaeyeon rode together, Mina and Sohye decided to stop by the food stalls, Nayoung decided to have a game of LoL at a cybercafe, Dodaeng and Yeunjung went ahead, and Sejeong, Chungha, and Somi decided to wait for a bit.

Chungha would've been picked up at this hour so Sejeong always waited for her. Somi decided to go ahead when Sejeong said, "I go in the direction you're going. Let's just go together."

A honk greeted their hearing and Chungha had to go. Sejeong would have stayed put but Chungha pulled her inside so that they'd go together.

"Somi should come with us." Sejeong suggested.

"It's fine, guys. I need to go and pick up my little sister from her tutor across the street." Somi said. "See ya, guys."

Sejeong would've insisted but Chungha already closed the door and the car sped off. Somi sighed and decided to walk to the other building, leaving a thought of a wonderful time of doing something she can never expect: studying.

It wouldn't have made sense of her friendship with the Top 11 but she thought of it as a wonderful start.