Chapter One

Don't Recall

"Yah, I've been waiting for more than an hour. Where are you guys?" I asked over the phone.

I hear laughter from the other side. "Calm down, Jiwoo-yah. Got stuck in the traffic because Taehyung decided to go for a drive thru," Somin told me. 

Then in the background I hear Taehyung shout, "You can't blame a man for being hungry!"

Despite my irritation, I laughed. Damn, I missed my friends. I've been in Australia for nearly two years, and that's already too long. 

"Whatever, get your butts in here fast or I'll make sure to cut them off myself!" I threatened. They laughed as if I was joking. Oh boy, they're wrong.

We ended the call and I remained sitting in one of the cold benches here in the airport. 

Once in a while I stand up and buy food from the pastry shop a few meters from the benches. 

By the time they got here, I already spent over $30. 

"Pigging out on your first day back home," Somin approached me as I ate my last piece of croissant, ten more empty wrappers stacked on the seat beside me.

I scoffed. "I'm simply enjoying the wonders of life, thank you very much," I said and stood up. 

Then suddenly I was pulled into a hug. "Jiwoo-yah!" Taehyung even lifted me off my feet.

"Aish, Taehyung! Put me down!" I slapped his side, or atleast tried to because his arms were wrapped around me.

Eventually, he did put me down because Somin smacked him on the head. "Yah! I was supposed to be the one to hug her first!"

They bickered around. Somin saying that I like her better because she's a girl, and Taehyung's saying I like him better because I've known him longer and that Somin shouldn't be ist.

I smacked them both. "I'm jetlagged. Somin-ah, throw the wrappers. Taehyung-ah, carry my luggage," I said and walked past them. 

Somin scoffed. "What makes you think we'll do what you say?"

I looked back and winked, "I'm cute, you can't say no," I said and went back to walking. 

I hear Taehyung exaggerate a sigh, "She's right. We're hopeless, Somin-ah."

I chuckled silently as they catch up to me. Somin took a little longer because the nearest trashcan was to the opposite direction. 

Taehyung slung my backpack over his shoulders and pulled my luggage. My other things will be shipped later this week.

Taehyung took the lead because it's his car that he brought today. We reached the parking lot and I immediately slumped on the backseat. Somin helped Taehyung
load my bags in the trunk, and then sat on the passenger seat.

"Omg Jiwoo-yah, we have a lot to talk about!" Somin said excitedly.

Taehyung groaned. "Girls and their boy talks. Keep it in until I drop you off, please?"

I saw Somin roll her eyes from the rear-view mirror. "Anyway, have you seen someone in Australia? We've been video calling but you don't mention anyone."

"That's because I don't have anyone to mention, Somin-ah."

"No one worthy mentioning? Or is it because you're still not over he-who-must-not-be-named?" Somin asked. Somin calls him that because I haven't told her his name yet. I don't think I ever will. I sighed. 

"No, definitely not. I haven't even thought of him until you mentioned it," I said. "And I think I prefer Koreans than foreigners," I said and we chuckled.

"But since we're in on the topic, haven't you talked yet? Any news about him?"

I shook my head. "Not a single thing," I replied. To be honest, I could, but I prevented myself to. It's better to not involve myself with him yet, just until I'm sure all my feelings have evaporated already. 

I'm sure now, though.

"Oh. Well, then maybe it really is over you two, that's sad," Somin said. Something stung inside me and I wasn't surprised. I can't deny that I still miss him.

But I've long known that just because you miss someone, doesn't mean you want them back.

"Enough about me, what about you though?" I changed the topic and I was thankful she didn't push on the previous topic.

She was about to say something when Taehyung groaned loudly. "Please, please save your stories when I'm not around?" He said. "You, Jiwoo-yah. Get some rest first, I thought you were jetlagged?"

"Well—," he interrupted me.

"You ordered us around, telling us you were jetlagged when you were actually perfectly fine?" He gasped. "That's not fair!"

I rolled my eyes. "Shut it, Tae. Fine, fine, Somin-ah and I will talk later. Happy?"

He sighed in relief. "Thank God. Now go get some shut eye," he said.

I just nodded and closed my eyes. Yes, I should really take a nap.

The only problem is, I can't. 

So thirty minutes later when they started talking. I heard everything.

"Oh, Taehyung-ah. Do you think Jiwoo can come with us tonight? Do you think she'd get enough rest by then?" Somin asked Taehyung.

"Wait, where are we going?"

"It's Matthew's birthday, duh! We're gonna celebrate it tonight at his place, remember?" Somin said and I fought the urge to wrinkle my forehead because I might get caught eavesdropping.

Matthew? The Matthew I know? No, that doesn't seem possible.

But wait... Today's October 20. , that's too much of a coincidence.

"Oh, shoot. I forgot," Taehyung said. "Um, I don't think it's best to bring Jiwoo tonight," Taehyung muttered.

"Why? It's actually the perfect time! I could introduce her tonight, don't you think?" Somin said, excitement laced her words.

"Uh, she needs some rest, Somin-ah," Taehyung persisted.

"But," she whined then sighed. "Maybe you're right, "she said, and I swear I heard Taehyung's sigh of relief. "Let's just ask her later. , I really wanted to introduce her to my boyfriend as soon as possible."

Oh wow, Somin-ah got a boyfriend? She be slaying!

"Although I can't help thinking they might end up fighting if I do introduce them. I mean, Matthew's a pain. He's totally annoying," she said. "That's okay with me, I just tolerate. But Jiwoo will surely do the opposite. She'll get annoyed easily and backfire. Then poof, world war."

Okay. Her Matthew and the Matthew I know are too similar.

Taehyung laughed. "Oh I'm pretty sure that'd happen."

They both laughed, then a phone rang. It was Somin's because she was the one who answered.

"Matthew!" She exclaimed to the phone, and Taehyung said, "Put it on speakerphone," Somin and placed the phone on its holder.

"Happy birthday bro!" Taehyung said.

"Happy birthday Matt-ah!" Somin said. 

Yep, now I'm sure it's not the Matthew I know. The Matthew I know hated being called Matt.

But then a laugh from the phone got me frozen.

I thought I was sure it wasn't the Matthew I knew. But I was wrong.

And I thought I was sure all my feelings have evaporated already.

But I was wrong. Again.

"Thanks man! Thank you too, Som-ah, love you! See you later, yeah?" Matt said—or rather, Matthew.

The Matthew I know.



[a/n] okay so I know I said that it wouldn't be that angst-y, but it's the only way I could start this off. so expect more angst for the first three chapters maybe? then a lil fluff could get added or something. aaaah I don't know but i'll do my best to make this read-worthy. comment for reactions or suggestions, I wanna know if I'm making this right! also hit my inbox bec I really want someone to talk to :(

(p.s., I'm just copy-pasting everything from wattpad sooooooo) AND BEFORE I FORGET, I want to let you all know that I am sooo overwhelmed by the number of subs this already has like WHAAAT for reals?!?! thanks y'all!!!!)