o22

Shards of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here comes the bride,” a female voice shouted from the crowd.

Baekhyun hesitated to look at his bride as he stood at the altar wondering what in the world he got himself into. Without even having the chance of a proper proposal, he was getting married today to a woman who was a total stranger to him and worst, she was his brother’s ex. How much more would these people humiliate him?

Hana’s dress trailed behind her as she made way to her to be husband. She searched for his eyes through her veil only to find them cold. She closed her eyes to reassure her regret almost tripping on the carpet. Hana managed to squeeze out a fraud smile as she faced Baekhyun. This was definitely not how she had planned to get married.

     

“Hyung, I'm sure she's on her way. The night is still young,” Sehun reassured. He turned his brother around and fixed his bowtie for the final time. He patted the ruby red handkerchief in Baekhyun's left jacket pocket and let his hands flow down the crisp black suit.

Baekhyun paced back and forth in the hallway of the new building. His styled hair was losing its touch hearing the outside filled with chaos from the press and many others who awaited the opening.

“What if she doesn’t show up? I don’t have any more excuses for the public,” Baekhyun panicked. It wasn’t about his pride anymore. He was afraid of losing her, forever.

“Hyung, trust me. I know Hana. She would never do that. She’ll be here. Now, relax. I’m getting sick of fixing you every two seconds.”

     

Hana admired the low twisted bun her stylist dressed her in. Her make-up had been freshly done and specifically loose curled strands of hair laid around her face. But, the most important piece on her tonight was the dress her very own husband had picked out. Her hand smoothed out the dress that flowed to the ground but stopped where her baby was growing. Had he forgotten she was pregnant? She scrunched her nose and pouted, unsatisfied at the tightness of the dress in that area. At least he remembered to pick heels that weren’t very high.

“Hana are you ready to go? Sehun’s been texting me non-stop,” Jongin sounded a bit annoyed. He peeked his head inside her room and stopped fidgeting over his vest. “You,” he paused. “Look gorgeous,” he finished his remark.

“I look fat,” she pouted as she stared at his reflection through the full-length mirror.

“Let’s go. It’s starting to get chaotic with all the people waiting. Minji can’t hold them any longer,” Jongin said as he put together the last of his buttons.

Hana stiffened at the word “chaotic” and “Minji”. Her opinion with events like these still hasn't quite changed.

“I’m not sure if Baekhyun wanted to make you the center of attention or the new business,” he joked and her face paled. She didn’t want to be the center of attention. “I’ll be where you can see me the whole night. I might even steal you later for a dance,” his hands touched her bare shoulders and he turned her around to face him for reassurance. Jongin’s phone buzzed once more in his pocket. “Come on. We should go. Careful down the stairs,” he said to her as he led her out of the room.

The drive there was quiet as Jongin concentrated on the roads. Hana had all the time to ponder about Baekhyun. Not once did she let her heart sit at ease. It was as if she had just had an energy drink. Her heart beat fast with excitement and worry. Her hands were never still in her lap as her fingers twiddled away.

“We're here,” he said as if the flashing of the cameras and the unnecessary loudness couldn't be noticed. “I think we should enter from the back. Sehun and Baekhyun have been waiting,” he told her as he stopped by the back exit. “You go ahead. I'll come after I park, he said as he got out and helped Hana out of the passenger side.

Hana hesitated. Would he be a changed man when she saw him tonight?

“Go on!” Jongin broke her thoughts.

Hana looked at Jongin and then towards the exit where Sehun had the door propped open and waiting for her. Sehun quickly led Hana inside and to her husband.

“We don't have time. It's time to cut the ribbons,” he rushed her.

Hana approached the back view of her husband as he waited by the entrance where the source of all the commotion could be heard and seen. A wave of nostalgia washed over her and she felt cold. It was like the old times. And, she lost a little bit more of the hope she had. She matched up to his side and he was the first to make eye contact with her. He gave her a warm smile, one full of relief and his hand reached out to search for her own, surprising Hana a bit.

“Are you ready?” he asked her.

Hana responded with a nod afraid she would sound unintelligent if she let any words slip from at the moment. Baekhyun held her hand tighter, it wasn't a stiff and painful gesture from the past, but one of comfort.

“Are you nervous?” she whispered into his ear and he pulled her closer tightening his hold around her waist.

How could he not be nervous? This was a whole new level of respect from the people who had always looked down upon him. This was a business Hana and Baekhyun could call their very own. It wasn't putting together something that was falling with one that wasn't to become of something new like before, but a business Mr. and Mrs. Byun had worked hard together to achieve.

“Welcome to Byun Innovations,” Baekhyun said into the multiple microphones. He stood behind the podium along with Hana. The cameras consistently flashed, blinding the two. “Thank you to all of those who made it tonight just to attend such a small ceremony,” he said, remembering to stay humble. “I would like to thank each and everyone who has supported me in the past. I really could not have done it without you all,” he looked at Hana and gave her a smile. “And, also to those who choose to support me now. We still have a long way ahead to make an even greater company and I'm excited to share this journey with everyone by my side,” Baekhyun paused for a while and the reporters started to shout questions at him thinking his speech had ended. A rude gesture, really. “But,” he began, quieting down everyone again. “I would like to thank my wife for being with me through thick and thin. For always forgiving me over and over again after a long day. I don't know where I would be without her, today,” he held her closer if that was even possible. “We still have a long journey ahead. And, along with the new company, I would like to also welcome little Byu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter