Epilouge

Shards of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hana I'm sorry I'm late,” he rushed over to her side. His hair was a mess and his tie crooked. Baekhyun rushed out of a very important meeting at the words “your wife is in labor”. He took off his jacket and began to the sleeves of his dress shirt. He looked at his wife and a surge of worry washed over him a bit. He was excited, but scared because what else would first times be full of.

Her hair was a mess and her skin glistened with perspiration. The saying giving birth hurts more than a man getting kicked in their groin was something one would never know unless they’ve experienced it.

He immediately grabbed her hand and her heart fluttered at the affection. They were still learning about each other and definitely still making mistakes. Just this morning he left the house after they had argued about something as stupid as where the baby’s crib should be placed.

“I'm here now,” he whispered into her ears followed by a quick peck on the head. The words were just loud enough for her to hear and he was sure of it when she intertwined her fingers around his.

“I think she's ready!” a nurse said as she checked Hana’s dilation.

     

Baekhyun’s thumb caressed the picture of his wife and son. He'd completely taken over the company since his son was born. His schedules doubled the amount of work and he often found himself missing the two. But, he wanted the best for his wife and little Taejoon.

“Sir,” Mr. Kim called before barging in.

Baekhyun set the picture frame down and gave his full attention to his secretary.

“Here's your full schedule for today. “You have a meeting till ten with Mr. Li concerning the China branch of our market. After that, there's a big shareholders meeting till one. Would you like for me to prepare any snacks in between? Lunch won't be until two today,” he paused to receive an answer.

Baekhyun only stared at his secretary. “After lunch,” he started again after not receiving an answer, but Baekhyun suddenly stopped him.

“I'll wait until after lunch to hear the rest of my schedule. Snacks won't be needed. Thank you,” he excused Mr. Kim.

“I'll be back in thirty minutes then to lead you to the meeting,” Mr. Kim left the room.

Baekhyun took a deep sigh and he faced the big glass window from his very own skyscraping building. He looked at his silver Rolex. A lunch date with his wife and son. He grew anxious at the thought.

     

“Taejoon-a, let's go!” Hana walked over to her son after closing the lid to the bento lunch box and putting the last of the packed food into a bag.

“Daddy?” Taejoon asked. At the age of one, he only knew bits and pieces of words. And, “daddy” was one of those words.

It didn't surprise Hana that Taejoon had learned that word before “mommy”. It was definitely the love and affection Baekhyun had shown. Not that Hana didn't show Taejoon the same, but Baekhyun was always going around cooing the word “daddy” to their son.

“Daddy,” she replied along with a nod and smile. “He's waiting for us,” she extended her fingers for his little ones to grab on. “Should we get daddy some flowers?” she asked Taejoon.

Taejoon tilted his head all the way back and looked up at his mother. He hummed an answer of agreement along with an exaggerated nod of his head and gladly took his mother's hand.

They walked down the streets of Seoul as the sun warmed their faces. It was a wonderful day for their driver to take the day off. The streets smelled of the fragrance of lunchtime as restaurants fired up their grills, but a hint of exhaust from all the vehicles that zoomed by, a reminder that Seoul was a busy city.

Hana and Taejoon took little strides to the nearest flower shop. Taejoon pointed to the shop and Hana couldn't help, but smile because Baekhyun did that. Whenever Baekhyun had time, he'd take Taejoon to the flower shop and get Hana flowers.

“What should we get daddy?” she asked as she picked up Taejoon and set their lunch bag on the floor. It was a rhetorical question. She had already considered just getting a premade bunch of flowers, but as she went to reach for the bundle Taejoon pulled out a red rose. “Should we get that instead?” she asked her son.

At the age of one, Taejoon couldn't focus too much on one thing. There was so much more out in the world for him to explore. Hana found herself laughing as he turned around and picked at some other flowers.

“We'll get this,” she placed the nicely wrapped red rose on the counter and made her purchase. “Let's go Taejoon-a.

     

”Baekhyun couldn't help but glance at the clock every minute. Why were ten minutes taking so long?

“Mr. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter