RISING WINDS

Wind & Thunder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Momo, child of the Earth, true to your heart. You will embody the powers of the Yellow Wind Ninja.” Momo grins like a kid and looks at her morpher in awe.

 

“Mina, fluid and graceful like the water. You will become the Blue Wind Ninja.”

 

“And Jeongyeon, gifted Hayazaki reaching for the stars. You will command the powers of the Red Wind Ninja.” The three look at each other like they always do, affirming to one another that these new powers and what they’re about to face, they’ll face together.

 

“From this point on, you will be known as the Wind Ninja Rangers – Protectors of the Earth.”

The three shift into a dignified stance knowing that as confused and scared as they may be right now, they have a duty to fulfill.

 

To serve and protect the Earth in the shadows.

 



 

As they secured their Wind Ninja Morphers onto their wrists, a surge of electrifying energy coursed through their bodies. The power they just received was a breathtaking whirlwind of sensations, happening in the blink of an eye. The moment was almost surreal, a cascade of power and destiny merging to mold them into something greater than they had ever been.

 

Momo's eyes widened as she felt the power of the Earth element flow through her. Her yellow Wind Ninja Morphers glowed with a brilliant light before settling into a comfortable fit on her wrist. She felt stronger, more connected to the Earth, and a newfound determination welled up within her.

 

Mina, the Blue Wind Ninja, experienced a soothing sensation as she embraced the power of water. Her movements became more fluid, and she could sense the ebb and flow of the element within her. It was as if she could harness the power of the ocean itself, and she knew that she could use it to protect those she cared about.

 

Jeongyeon, the Red Wind Ninja, felt a fiery determination burning within her. The power of fire surged through her veins, and her red Wind Ninja Morphers radiated with an intense heat. She had the sensation of reaching for the stars, just as her element symbolized, and she was ready to face any challenge that lay ahead.

 

Jihyo looked at them with a mix of pride and concern. "Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. The Wind Ninja Rangers are Earth's last defense against Tempest and her army. You must use your powers wisely and protect the world from their threat."

 

The three Rangers nodded, understanding the gravity of their newfound roles. They were no longer just students at the ninja academy; they were now the Earth's protectors, the Wind Ninja Rangers.

 

With their morphers in place and their powers awakened, they felt a sense of purpose and unity like never before. The legends of the chosen ninja warriors had become a reality, and they were ready to face the challenges that lay ahead. Together, they would serve and protect the Earth in the shadows, standing as the last defense against Tempest and her army.

 

“So what exactly does this thing do?” Jeongyeon cautiously asks, eyes flitting between her two friends.

 

“Where’s the switch?” Mina passively interjects instead, eyeing the gadget on her wrist.

 

“Does it have any games or what?” Momo excitedly asks, earning an eye-roll from Mina and while Jeongyeon visibly perks up at the question.

 

“No, it doesn’t have games, Momo. This is a highly-complicated piece of tech, you can’t expect-“ the three students immediately engage in a debate on what the morphers can and cannot do, leaving Dahyun shaking her head in disbelief at the scene unfolding before her.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, the protectors of Earth…” Dahyun sarcastically says to her sister, who visibly flinches in her position on the desk when she faintly feels another bout of explosion littering the grounds above them.

 

Dahyun dashes back to her supercomputer, re-adjusting her glasses before rapidly typing on the keyboard and pulling up live video feeds from cameras that had remained miraculously intact within the academy grounds.

 

Sure enough, she finds the tall, purple and black clad figure strolling somewhat leisurely above the ground along with the shadow creatures that had attacked the school just earlier today. His glittering purple eyes wandered around the rubble and destruction, as if looking for any sign of life or survivors.

 

Jihyo upon seeing this, swiftly turns to the three who were still in the middle of figuring out their new morphers and distracted enough to momentarily forget the danger they were still facing.

 

“Quickly! Tempest’s army is attacking. You must intercept them.” Jeongyeon, Mina and Momo immediately snap their heads to the direction of their sensei.

 

“Call on your powers by saying ‘Ninja Storm, Ranger Form’.” The three nods in understanding.

 

Dahyun swivels on her seat, facing the newly minted rangers, visibly awaiting instructions.

 

“You need to drive them out of the academy grounds before I can activate the protective shield over us – otherwise we’re just trapping ourselves in here for slaughter.” The last part was obvious but Dahyun felt the need to clarify that one.

 

Reaching over the glass panel situated on the right side of her keyboard, she taps on it a couple of times before swiping and opening the shoji doors on the far right side of the room.

 

“Go through that door. I have opened a sequence of pathways that will lead up to the training rooms… well, what it used to be.” Dahyun draws a quick breath, refocusing herself. “That thing seems to be headed that way; draw them out to the quarry near the edge of the school. I’ll take care of things from there.”

 

Wasting no time, Jeongyeon, followed closely by Mina and Momo enter the tunnels, hearts racing within their chests.

 

---

 

Quietly slipping out of the hidden trap door at the end of the tunnel, the three students jump behind a boulder large enough to hide all of them as they spot Kanda approaching their general direction.

 

Jeongyeon peeks out from behind the boulder, assessing just how far they are from the quarry – which is on the other side of the lake that sat in front of them. It was only for a moment but the air major had a glance at the creatures that they’ve seen attack the other students and teachers earlier. They were nothing but menacing, as their collective growls hung in the air as they searched for their next victims.

 

“What are we going to do?” Momo asks in a hushed tone, tugging on Jeongyeon’s uniform as she sits back down.

 

“Well the quarry is on the other side of the lake, we can get them to chase us around it but we’d have to be really quick; no one can be left behind, you’ve seen what their blades can do.” The two other students nod, remembering how their friends vanished into smoke once they were hit by the said blades.

 

“Maybe we can shadow streak?” The earth major suggests, making Mina shake her head in answer. “I don’t think we should. They might not be able to see us if we do. We have to just floor it normally.”

 

Momo looks at Jeongyeon, waiting for her to confirm the plan. The latter thinks for a moment before nodding. “Okay, we run for it. Once we get near the quarry, we shadow streak to higher grounds to put some distance between us and them. Does that sound good or do either of you have better suggestions?” The short-hair girl inquires.

 

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Mina quietly answers, taking a peek once more at the location of their targets. “They’re getting close.”

 

“Okay.” Jeongyeon shifts her footing, prompting the two to do the same as well. “On the count of three, we run okay?” She grips her two best friend’s hands firmly and reassuringly. No one left behind, she means to say.

 

“One.”

 

The shuffling of feet is nearing them.

 

“Two.”

 

Growls coming from the creatures have gotten louder.

 

“Three!”

 

Turning swiftly on their heels, the three sprinted as fast as they normally could, barely sparing a glance at the creatures whose eyes have now laser-focused on them. The sound of the soles of their boots hitting the dirt is drowned by the tens that were right on their tail as they rounded the shores of the lake, a faint glow of lilac light flashing behind them.

 

The trio sprinted with all their might, feet pounding against the earth as they raced around the shores of the lake. The creatures of Tempest's army were in relentless pursuit, their eyes glowing with malevolence as they closed in on the Rangers. The tension in the air was palpable, and the sound of growls and footfalls filled the surroundings.

 

Jeongyeon, Mina, and Momo knew that they had to reach the quarry, but the creatures were hot on their heels, relentless in their chase. The quarry lay on the other side of the lake, a shimmering expanse of water reflecting the ominous clouds above. The Rangers could see it in the distance, but the creatures were dangerously close.

 

As they neared the edge of the lake, Jeongyeon shouted, "Now! Shadow Streak!"

 

In an instant, their forms became wisps of shadow, and they streaked across the surface of the water like fleeting apparitions. The creatures, unable to perceive the Rangers in their shadowy state, continued their chase, growling in frustration.

 

Reaching the other side of the lake, the Rangers solidified once more, their feet landing on solid ground. They had successfully put some distance between themselves and their pursuers, but there was no time to rest.

 

Mina scanned their surroundings, her blue Wind Ninja Morpher glinting with a soft, calming light. "We need higher ground," she suggested, her voice unwavering.

 

Jeongyeon nodded in agreement. "Let's climb to the cliffs above the quarry. We can gain an advantage from there."

 

With a shared determination, the three Rangers began their ascent, scrambling up the rocky terrain toward the cliffs. The creatures of Tempest's army, still on their trail, struggle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter