PRELUDE TO A STORM (II)

Wind & Thunder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you see that?” Momo points at where the figure was.

And before anyone can answer, the same dark figures had zoomed towards them knocking them down faster than they can even react to it.

With a loud thud accompanied by painful groans, Jeongyeon, Momo and Mina shuffled to get back on their feet as the mysterious figures that attacked them have revealed themselves.

 

Ninjas.

 

-------

                                                         

Clad in black, leather shinobi shōzokus and masks, the attackers surround the trio, giving them ample time to get up and prepare for the fight.

Momo & Jeongyeon’s face turned quizzical, while Mina simply deadpanned at the sight in front of them. Judging from the color insignias on their attackers’ clothing, they already knew that they’re students from their academy.

Why they were being attacked, was a whole other thing.

Giving each other knowing looks, Jeongyeon, Momo and Mina makes the hand seal of transformation in front of them that summons the very same shinobi shōzokus to clad the trio’s bodies, in replacement of their ‘normal people’ clothing.

In a split second, and in more comfortable battle clothing, they charged forward at the other students that attacked them without warning.

 

Being a water element major, Mina decides to bring the fight to the nearby waterfall.

Summoning her inner energy, she runs on the surface of the water to evade her attackers whilst creating and shooting blasts of water to their general direction. Unfortunately for Mina, she was being chased by fellow water element majors, whose skills seem to easily match hers.

Wasting no time, she begins creating whirlpools behind the enemies that are almost gliding on top of the waters.

This caused some of them to get swept by the raging waters and fight for air.

Mina continues her onslaught of water blasts, even going as far as creating water whips that knocked the enemies both into and out of the waters.

One by one, the attackers fell only to be replaced by two more people in their place.

Almost as if they’re multiplying…

One of them got close enough and Mina delivers a smooth round kick to its torso and the attacker bursts like a balloon, dousing and temporarily distracting her.

“Damn it!” Mina mentally curses herself and she was right. The enemies were using the waters to create replicas of themselves and continuously attack Mina with blasts of water or if they get close enough, try to land a punch or hurl themselves at her. Why hadn’t she noticed it before?

Outnumbered and with multiple techniques drawing out her energy, Mina loses her balance and falls on the water when one her attackers manage to send a stream of mini-tsunamis her way.

-----

Meanwhile, a certain earth element major is having a really heated hand-to-hand combat with the other earth element majors that chased after her.

With her agile reflexes, Momo dodged and deflected the oncoming punches and kicks being sent her way. With a quick roundhouse kick to the enemy’s head, Momo smirks as she sends one tumbling back and causing a bowling-like effect and knocking more of them down.

What Momo didn’t anticipate, however, was the two figures that emerged from the ground right behind her. Not having any time to react, she falls face down first and grunts in pain from the double punch she received from the back.

She does a rising handspring to get herself back to her feet and proceeds to mimic the technique used against her.

Making the tunneling seal with her nimble hands, Momo feels herself sinking to the ground only to be distracted by Mina’s yelp when she fell into the water.

This caused Momo to get stuck halfway through her technique and literally have herself stuck on the ground from her waist down.

----

Jeongyeon almost looks like she was having the time of her life, as if she was just playing around with her enemies.

Being an air element major, she was literally just running as if the open air is solid ground and proceeds on running up and between the trees, giving the others a difficult time chasing her.

In reality, Jeongyeon was doing her best to avoid close combat. She knew she was outnumbered at this point and does her best to make use of her affinity for air by shooting strong gusts of wind if they get too close or make the winds bend the trees to defend her from their attacks.

This too, doesn’t last long though, as air walking takes a lot of energy from her causing her to pause and cling on to a nearby tree branch.

Jeongyeon doesn’t see the other air element major charging towards her and quite literally knocks the wind out of her when he hits her on the gut with punch, sending Jeongyeon plummeting a few feet down the ground.

----

All bruised up and beat from the fight, the trio gets dragged by their attackers by the waterfall.

“Let go of me, man!” Jeongyeon tries to shake off the hands that are uninvitingly and roughly grabbing her arms.

Momo’s face contorts in pain and embarrassment, since she had to be dug out from the ground but still manages a “I can freakin’ walk” with what little pride she has.

Mina on the other hand, kept silent and allowed herself to be ‘escorted’ to their destination.

 

A loud hoot was heard from a distance and the other students suddenly let go of them and stands in attention.

 

“Oh man…” Jeongyeon quietly whines while Momo tries to hide behind her.

In a few moments, a majestic Great Horned Owl, with its big and piercing brown eyes landed in front of them. Its feathers were glistening with its unusual bright streaks of orange and red as though it is made of fire.

The owl looks at Jeongyeon, Momo and Mina for a few seconds, as if scrutinizing them before it, as majestically as it arrived, transformed into a human being with long black hair cascading down her shoulders and donning long, beige & purple robes.

 

“That is enough for today.” the woman speaks calmly but with authority.

 

This sends the other students bowing in respect to the woman and shadow streaking to leave the place.

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon” the woman starts as she walks in front of them with an air of authority and her hands resting behind her.

“Hirai Momo” she pauses to look at the hiding Momo, who stops doing so when she m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter