Chapter 7: Signing

Upon A Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“To the world, we are NCT! Hello, this is NCT!” The members all chorused before bowing to the various girls sitting in front of them. The girls all cheered at the introduction, and there was a brief fumble as Taeyong stretched over to accept a mic from Sungoh to talk and be heard over the chatter of the excited fans.

“Hi, everyone! We’ve been excited for this debut, so we just want to thank you for all coming to see and support us,” Taeyong began, pausing when the fans began to cheer and clap, “We’ll begin the fansigning in a moment, so make sure to have your questions ready!”

After his quick statement, everyone went to sit down at the long table behind them. Yubin squeezed through the members and sat down near the middle of the row, almost immediately being flanked on either side by Johnny and Ten.

It’d been nearly three weeks of promoting their newest album, and currently, NCT Sky were sitting through a fansign.

Like Ten had said to her the day of their debut stage, everything was going fine. After the first few stages, Yubin had gotten comfortable and confident. The thrill of finally performing on stage made her feel alive, and it was amazing to see their fans already shouting out the fanchants they’d memorized to their song.

Fans were lined up at the beginning of the table, getting catered by a cheerful Jaehyun as he took the album and signed it, chatting with the first fan briefly before passing the album over to Mark who was seated next to him. The albums were passed down as more fans went down the line, and eventually, Yubin could chat with their fans firsthand, taking in their excitement as they began shy and tentative conversations with her.

“Oppa, your voice is so nice.” One fan shyly complemented, and Yubin gave her a warm smile, holding her hand out for the fan to hold and linking their hands together when they complied.

“Thank you, dear.” Yubin thanked in response, using her free hand to flip to her section of the album’s photobook to see what the fan’s question was. ‘Favorite English song?’

Yubin hummed quietly as she thought about the question. “Ah. I know this.” She finally said, writing down her answer and drawing a cute face at the end and signing the fan’s album. When she finished, she reached across the table with another smile, holding her hand out for the fan to take.

The fan made a sound of surprise and linked their hands, letting Yubin squeeze and rock their joined hands side to side. “Oh. Your hands are so soft.” She stated, making Yubin blink and laugh at the sudden statement.

“They’re soft and small, aren’t they?” Ten suddenly said from beside them. He’d already finished with his fan and was waiting for the next one to come over.

With her free hand, Yubin hit his arm, ignoring his giggles and turning her attention over to the fan again. “I’m not small, okay?” She protested to the fan, who was giggling behind her hand. The fan nodded good-naturedly, “Of course. Don’t worry, oppa. It’s cute.” She responded before moving over to Ten.

“Trae doesn’t think he’s small and cute. What do you guys think?” Johnny suddenly asked aloud, speaking into the microphone on the side of him. Surprised at the sudden question, Yubin turned her head to look at him questioningly. He was decorated with gifts from fans ranging from heart stickers on his face to cute animal headbands and barrettes stuck in his hair. He glanced over to look at her and grinned before reaching over to loop his long arm over her shoulder. The waiting fans made loud protests at the question, majority mentioning how being small wasn’t bad.

“Right? I agree. He’s very cute, right?” Johnny responded to the onslaught of fan chatter, nodding his head.

“Hyung, you think everyone is cute,” Jaehyun mentioned into his mic, and Johnny made a scandalized face, causing laughter from the fans. Rolling her eyes, Yubin patted Johnny’s hand before scooting back to her side of the tables, greeting her next fan.

Once the signing part was finished, the members all got up and chatted as a group with the fans before finally giving them a close look at their song choreography. By the end of the fansigning, everyone was in a good mood. Sungoh and their other manager were pushing them to the vans when Yubin got a text message.

From: catman

What are you doing at this exact moment?

Yubin’s eyebrows rose at the sudden text from Joshua, her cousin. While she’d been busy with debuting and promoting, she hadn’t heard from the male in a while. So to see a message from him was rather out-of-the-blue. She paused in her walking to send a text back.

To: catman

I just finished a fansign. What’s up

After she sent it, she continued to walk, getting herded by Sungoh to walk faster.

From: catman

You done with schedules for the day? Let’s hang out!

Humming at the text, she tossed her schedule around in her head, trying to remember if they had anything else to do for the rest of the day. Finding her schedule free for the most part, she looked at the managers briefly. “Hey, is it okay if I go somewhere else instead of the dorms?”

~⟳~

“Joshua!!” Yubin called out, pulling her slipping mask back up over her nose as she spotted her cousin sitting casually on a park bench. Hearing her call out, Joshua looked up from his phone and smiled, standing from the bench to greet her as she hurried over. When Yubin asked the managers if she could go hang out with her cousin, they initially weren’t going to let her go out. But it took a bit a wheedling and agreeing to not bring attention to herself to let them release her. When she told Joshua she could hang out, he’d immediately gave her the location.

“Teya. Hey!” The male greeted her pleasantly, wrapping her in a hug when she was close enough.

When he pulled away, Yubin grinned at him. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

Joshua nodded in agreement and began to pull her down the path, “It has. It’s certainly been a while since I’ve heard that accent in person,” he said. “The phone really muffles the experience.”

At this, Yubin rolled her eyes and bumped into him, letting him pull her. Speaking in Korean was a rarity when with her cousin, and since both of them were so used to conversing in their native tongue, they found themselves speaking strictly English when near each other. Of course, with that, her British accent tended to come back tenfold.

“Where are you taking me? You said the park, but we aren’t even relaxing here.” She prompted as they left the park grounds and instead were heading towards the building parts of the city. “Convenience store. You know we haven't had 7-11 ramen together since I debuted? Since you just debuted, I’m gonna treat you.” Joshua responded.

“Oh, seriously? How nice of my lovely cousin.” Yubin remarked teasingly, earning a short chuckle from him. “Ramen and the view of nature. Just what I like to see.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter