Chapter 6: Debut

Upon A Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“There is one shadow that stops. Where am I looking?” Yubin sang softly into the mic, eyes focused on the printed paper that had her highlighted lines for the upcoming debut for the new unit. The members had been busy ever since they returned from their recording for NCT Life. People getting thrown into meetings about songs as well as what the choreography would entail. A few members were even making time in their schedules to work out in the gym that SM offered.

Currently, Yubin was singing her parts for their single track. The other members included in the new unit were a few floors up in the dance studios going over the choreography with their choreographer on the demo track.

“Nice, Youngjin. Can you just do it one more time for reassurance?” The producer for the track asked through the mic in the other room, and Yubin looked up to see him through the glass and shot him a thumbs up. In response to this, the producer played back the instrumental for her to sing again.

After roughly another half hour of recording her lines, Yubin was free from the recording booth. Sipping from her water bottle, she headed up to the dance studio to peek at how the members were faring.

“Hyung!” Renjun cheered from his spot between Jaehyun and Yuta, waving at Yubin as she entered the room. At the disruption, the rest of the members turned their attention over as well and echoed greetings.

“Ah, if you’re back does that mean it’s my turn?” Johnny asked from across the room. Yubin shook her water bottle in response, setting it down on the floor where everyone else’s belongings were thrown. “Yeah. You’re free from dancing.” She said, and Johnny grinned as he headed over. The two high-fived in a similar way of passing-the-baton before he disappeared out the door and Yubin took his previous spot on the practice floor, ready to learn.

~⟳~

Only two or three weeks passed since the recording period, and all the members had successfully learned the dance as well as their positions. Just the day previous had everyone in the salon with stylists in their hair, either giving members what ranged from a simple tidy-up to a brand to hair color.

Yubin was one of the latter members.

“Does this color even match the theme for our debut?” Yubin asked aloud in a thoughtful tone as she lifted a strand of her newly dyed bright orange hair. Sitting beside her in a chair looking at his own newly dyed hair, Donghyuck hummed and turned his focus to her, leaning over to see her in the mirror. “Even if it doesn’t, I think you look good, Hyung.” He responded. He escaped any huge changes with a simple light brown dye.

Yubin met his eye in the mirror and smiled at him. “Aw, what a cute dongsaeng.” She said playfully, reaching over and pinching his cheek. At this, he grimaced and swatted at her, much to Yubin’s amusement. She continued to mess with him, actively trying to grab his cheeks as he continued to block her advances.

“Hyung!” Donghyuck complained, “go away.”

“Ooh, What’s he doing?” Came a voice behind them, and Yubin paused to look behind her only to see Johnny walk up. With blond hair.

“Oh no,” Yubin said, a laugh bubbling up in at the sight. Puzzled, Donghyuck also turned around to witness the sight as well. “Oh, Hyung. They gave you the short stick this time around,” he said with a sigh, though his eyes twinkled in amusement.

The two turned their chairs around to face Johnny who was pouting at their responses. “It doesn’t look bad. Come on, guys.” He protested. Yubin and Donghyuck shared a look before they nodded good-naturedly at the older man. “Sure, Johnny.” Yubin agreed, grinning.

The three of them continued to converse, chatting casually about the album as they waited for the other members to finish their changes. One by one, the members joined the trio, until nearly all of them were sitting in one room.

By the time their last member, Mark came walking into the room with a fresh trim, they were all ready to leave. Taeyong was quick to round up everyone and push them out the door, so they could head home. Thankfully, their schedules were really only limited to getting their hair done, and with that done they were free.

A quick glance at Yubin’s phone as they walked out the door showed that it was around 4pm, and that they had the rest of the day to goof off if they so pleased. A few members seemed to realize this if the sudden talk of playing Mario Kart was any indication.

“I’ve said this once and I’ll say it again. I’m the reigning King of Mario Kart.” Donghyuck stated, apparently in a heated discussion with Jaehyun, Mark, and Renjun. Now and then Yuta would pipe up and say something to ignite to the ongoing conversation even further, but offered nothing to soothe it.

“Hyuck, it's okay. We all know you aren’t the best at games. Just accept it,” Mark said solemnly once they’d all piled into the van, patting the younger boy’s knee in mock-seriousness. “Yeah, if you’re the king, then Doyoung Hyung can cook,” Renjun stated.

Yuta ooh-ed at the comment. “And we all know how he can’t cook,” Yuta said with disappointment, shaking his head. Yubin snorted.

“Yuta, why do you insist on fueling the fire?” Taeyong asked, exasperated. He had been leaning forward to talk with Johnny (who was sitting in his normal spot, up front in the passenger seat), but had turned around to look at the quartet squeezed in the last row of the van. In response to the question, Yuta simply shot the older man a grin.

Watching as Taeyong shook his head and turned back around with an eye roll, Yubin twisted in her seat to talk to Jaehyun and Ten, who sat in the row behind her. “How much do you want to bet that Taeil and Doyoung are already using the TV?” She asked, remembering how they mentioned just relaxing in the dorms until they got back.

“Doyoung watching TV? Unlikely. He’s probably visiting the remaining Dreamies. Taeil, on the other hand, I’ll bet. He’s been really into that Take Care of My Fridge show.” Jaehyun commented.

“I’ll challenge that. Johnny gave them his Netflix password a few weeks ago and since then they’ve been watching Stranger Things together.” Ten said back. “Wait, what the ? Johnny has Netflix and has been letting me pay eleven dollars a month for mines?” Yubin complained, turning back around to push at Johnny’s seat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter