Chapter 3: Casual Behavior

Upon A Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The members were chattering loudly as they came out the entryway, though their conversations slowly died out as they one-by-one caught sight of Yubin standing beside Taeyong by the couch. There was a brief moment as they all kind of looked at one another without talking before someone from the group of boys finally spoke up. “Uh… Hello,” she recognized him as Taeil, his wavy brown hair covered by the hat he wore. At his greeting, Yubin waved slightly, “Hello, my name is Lee Youngjin.” She introduced herself, since she wasn’t sure if Taeyong was going to.

At her introduction, the boys all came closer, a few of them talking at the same time, making it hard for her to hear all their statements. Finally, Taeyong began to wave them away to the sit down on the couch, trying to make order of the situation.

“Okay, guys. This is Youngjin, he’s a new rookie. The company has decided sometime next year that they’re going to debut another unit...and he’s going to be in it. Treat him kindly, alright?” He told the group, who turned their eyes back to Yubin by the time he finished talking. “Another member? Wow they’re really trying to make our group the biggest,” a honey-haired boy that she recognized to be Jisung, commented. Another boy swatted Jisung, “don’t be rude,” he muttered to him.

“Uhm, we can talk during dinner, if you guys are hungry..? Me and Taeyong made dinner,” Yubin said, deciding to ignore the comment. At this, the boys all cheered and made their way to the dining room, somehow managing to all fit at the table despite the large amount of members. There were various comments on the food as Yubin found a place to eat, choosing to stay close to the leader and eat on his right side. On Yubin’s other side, one of the taller members sat beside her. She immediately recognized him to be Johnny, a face she constantly used to work and practice dances with before he debuted. She hoped he wouldn’t recognize her face with the new haircut and name change.

“So, how old are you? Just so we know if you’re our hyung or not,” Yubin knew this boy was Donghyuck, and scrunched up her nose at the question, taking her chopsticks to eat a green bean from her plate. “I’m older than you,” she said back knowingly, “I’m twenty-one.”

Yubin knew there were a few other people there that were the same age as her, so she wasn’t surprised to see two members look suddenly interested. “A ‘96-liner? What’s your birthday?” This member had purple hair, it took one look at his rounded eyes for Yubin to figure out that he was Doyoung. “My birthday? Its Feburary 27th,” she replied, growing confused when the other interested member suddenly bounced in his chair and clapped. The other members had a look of surprise. “Oh wow, that’s my birthday, too! We’re birthday twins! I’m Ten,” he said cheerfully, waving at Yubin from across the table.

His introduction seemed to spur everyone else, and Yubin was suddenly getting everyone’s names thrown at her as they introduced themselves.

“Okay, guys, don’t worry about introducing yourselves. It’s fine. I actually recognize majority of you, it just takes me a few seconds to put a name to your face.” Yubin interrupted, waving her hands to get everyone’s attention again. “Besides that, how were all of your schedules?”

Her question changed the topic, and comfortably all 16 of them talked for the rest of their dinner. Cleaning up was a quick ordeal since there were so many of them. Once the leftovers were packed away and all the dishes were cleaned and put away, Yubin was accosted by Ten, who dragged her off to the living room to have sudden “twin time”.

The rest of the members seemed to scatter after dinner; a few escaped to their room while a few joined Yubin and Ten in the living room to watch a movie that Ten was demanding Yubin watch. “It’s a classic, and it’s not allowed for my twin to never have seen Howl’s Moving Castle before. Don’t get up from the couch or we’ll fight.”

Ten, Yubin took note, was warming up to her rather quickly. They hadn’t even known each other for more than two hours and he was already being playful and relaxed around her. Though she assumed their shared birthdays helped a bit. Compliant enough, she leaned against the back of the couch, pulling her legs up under herself again as she got comfortable. In front of her sat Yuta and Sicheng on the floor as they also got comfortable. She pulled the throw blanket hanging on the back of the couch and threw it into their laps, “In case the floor gets too cold,” she said when the two shot her a curious look.

Once Ten had finally set up the movie, he came back over to join Yubin on the couch, leaning against the armrest and tucking his feet underneath her thigh, which she allowed with an amused glance in his direction. In the corner of her eye she saw Taeyong pass through the entrance to the living room, and when she looked at him, he mouthed the words ‘you okay?’ along with the universal ‘ok’ hand symbol. Silently she nodded at him, and he smiled slightly before disappearing into a different room.

The movie was great, and Yubin ended up sitting through another two movies before calling it a night. Ten had fallen asleep midway through the second movie, slumped against the armrest with another blanket thrown over him (courtesy of Sicheng, who was worried about the older boy getting cold) and snoring every so softly. Yuta and Sicheng had left for Yuta’s bedroom to sleep there instead of having the chinese member leave to the other dorm (Which, Yubin learned, was the other side of the duplex, but who was she to judge?) and had promised to snag Johnny from his room when her attempts to wake him up weren’t working.

Dead to the world, Ten snuggled into the cushions and pushed his feet into Yubin’s lap, and she sighed, wondering if pushing him onto the floor was rude. Just as she was contemplating acting on her thoughts, Johnny came shuffling into the room looking sleepy. “Sorry if Yuta and Sicheng woke you up,” she apologized. He waved off her apology, “Don’t worry about it. I don’t mind,” He replied back as he leaned over to grab Ten’s wrist and tug it up, watching as the sleeping boy’s limp torso lifted briefly from the couch before he let it drop, humming when there was no reaction.

“I guess he’s genuinely knocked out, I’ll just carry him,” he muttered and leaned over again to scoop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter