Chapter 45| Reminiscence

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: This chapter is loosely based/inspired by Taeyeon's 'Rain')

"Okay students," Ms Jang announced, standing at the front of the bus. We'd arrived at the kindergarten for the second part of our camp. I'd taken the second day of the safari off and stayed at the campsite with Taeyeon accompanying me out of consideration of my injuries. Minseok had decided I wasn't injured enough to be sent home, but I was allowed a days rest as well as leeway from strenuous activities. "We've arrived at the kindergarten. Our class will be splitting into two groups, and this time there will be no exceptions."

She called out the groups. To my pleasant surprise, I was in a group with both Taeyeon and Sehun in group 1. Kai, Taehyung and Joohyun were in the other group. 

"Group 1 will be accompanying the children today while group 2 will be helping renovate the place. You will switch tomorrow," she explained. "The kindergarten coordinators will explain in further detail what they would like you to do."

 

I glanced out the window. Children from ages 3 to 6 were running around the playground, squealing and laughing in a carefree manner only found in youth. Others were indoors, playing on the floor with various toys. An unconscious smile rose to my lips as I watched them - there was something about young children that just brought a happy glow to my chest. 

I was about to turn away when I caught the curious stare of a young little girl with twin braids. I grinned and waved at her and she shyly returned the gesture, her small mouth lifting into an adorable smile. 

***********************

"...U-um, can I play with y-you?" I looked up to see the same girl from before smiling shyly at me, a stuffed dog toy in her hand as she scuffed the floor with her shoe and stared down at her feet. My smile widened. 

"Sure thing! What's your name?" I asked. After helping prepare morning tea in the kitchen of the kindergarten, we were allowed some free time to play with the kids, which I absolutely revelled in. I'd already made friends with at least 5 kids. 

"H-Hyemi," she replied, giving me a wide smile at my acceptance to play with her. 

"Well nice to meet you, Hyemi. I'm Areum," I reached out to shake her hand and she giggled before taking a seat on the floor next to me. "Who's your friend here?"

"This is Byungee! He's my best friend," she declared, holding up her stuffed toy proudly. "Say hi to Unnie, Byungee."

 

She waved a paw at me and I laughed, pretending to wave back. For the next 10 minutes, I played with Hyemi. She was an absolute sweetheart and my heart melted every time she smiled or giggled. I was having a tonne of fun until this random kid decided to bump into her, causing her to cry out as he snatched her toy. 

"Hey! Give that back!" she cried out as the boy inspected the toy.

"What is this, a rat?" he sneered, holding the toy up. "It looks stupid."

"Don't insult Byungee, Daechul!" Hyemi stood up, glaring at the boy. "At least he doesn't look as stupid as you."

"What did you say?" Daechul scoffed, crossing his arms. "I'm not stupid!"

"Yes, you are!"

"Well, at least I'm not ugly like you!" Hyemi looked like she was about to cry, which was my cue to intervene. 

"Excuse me," I scolded, standing up and frowning. "Daechul, is it?"

The boy eyed me, suddenly looking a little nervous. "Yes...noona?"

"Do you think what you just said was a nice thing to say?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing my arms. "Calling someone ugly isn't very nice, especially when it isn't true."

Daechul looked down at the floor, scuffing his foot, expression petulant and sulky at being scolded. His expression actually kind of reminded me of a certain blonde, causing me to hide a smile at the thought. 

"Apologise for what you did, Daechul, and then give Hyemi back her toy," I ordered, kneeling down to his eye-level. My expression was gentle but firm. He looked up at me with watery eyes. 

"D-do I have to?"

"Yes," I gave him a look. "How would you like it if someone called you ugly and stole your toy?"

He bit his lip and reluctantly turned to Hyemi, who stared at him warily. "I'm...sorry, Hyemi. Your toy isn't stupid and you aren't ugly," he said, holding out the toy and avoiding her eye. 

Hyemi blinked as she took back her toy and hugged it to her chest. She bit her lip. "It's okay... I'm sorry too for calling you stupid."

I observed the two of them with an amused smile. "Promise you won't do that again, Daechul?"

He nodded and I grinned, ruffling his hair. "Good. Now off you-"

"Dae?" A new voice interrupted. I looked up to see a familiar blonde walking towards us with a confused frown. My heart skipped a beat as his eyes met mine briefly. "What's going on?"

"Sehun-hyung!" Dae's eyes brightened as he ran up to my fiancé, immediately grabbing hold of his hand. I raised an eyebrow in surprise. What happened to him not liking kids?

"What's going on?" Sehun repeated, kneeling down to Daechul's eye-level. "Did something happen?"

"It's fine - we sorted it out, right?" I replied, looking at Daechul. He nodded, looking at the floor. Sehun raised an eyebrow curiously before glancing at Hyemi. Understanding seemed to dawn in his eyes as he grinned at Daechul. 

"Dae, bullying the girl you like won't gain her attention," he whispered quietly, just so that I could hear. A small smile grew on my face at his words. Dae pouted. 

"Then what do I do, Hyung?" he mumbled back. Sehun grinned and whispered into his ear so that I couldn't hear. Narrowing my eyes at the -eating smirk on his face, I rolled my eyes. Sehun giving a 6-year-old dating advice -  who would have thought? Hyemi approached me and tugged my arm. 

"Unnie, what are they whispering about?" she asked. Trying to hide my smile, I shrugged, bending down to her level. 

"I haven't a clue," I told her. "But why don't you ask Daechul if he wants to play with you later? I bet he just secretly wants to play with you and Byungee, which is why he came in the first place."

She looked sceptical as she eyed the other two. "Are you sure?"

"I don't know, but you know boys," I rolled my eyes playfully and she giggled. "They never know what they're doing."

"I heard that!" Sehun retorted, glancing at us with a small, amused smile. Daechul's expression was brighter now. Hyemi giggled before falling silent as the young boy approached her, cheeks pink. 

"U-Um, I really like your braids!" he blurted hurriedly, f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter