Chapter 21 | Falling for you

Affair | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The beach, as expected, was beautiful. 

Pristine golden sand, aqua blue waves lined with white tides and numerous long piers stretched out in front of me. There were several people already out and about, basking in the sun or splashing about in the water. As I stepped out the changing rooms in my new bathers, I saw Sehun waiting for us nearby on the sandy turf, looking out into the sea. A group of teenage girls stood nearby, eyeing him and giggling. I rolled my eyes. 

I walked over and my blonde fiancé noticed. His eyes travelled down my figure and then back up, eyebrows furrowing. I remembered back when we went to Jeju island when I revealed my bathers and he'd frowned the same way. I wondered what his problem was.

"What?" I asked, frowning in return. "Does it look strange?"

I looked down, feeling self-conscious about the way the bikini hugged my figure and exposed a fair amount of cleavage. Elodie had insisted I bought it, saying I looked 'hot as hell', but I personally begged to differ. 

Sehun merely pursed his lips and shook his head. Giving him a strange look, I shrugged and stared out at the ocean, admiring the view. I felt him move closer, standing behind me. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and rested his chin on my head. I tensed.

"What are you doing?" 

"Getting a free head-rest," I could just head the smug smirk in his voice. I scowled as red rose to my cheeks.

"Well, I don't appreciate it."

"Well I don't care, sweetheart. This is comfortable. You're the perfect height for my chin." Shifting, I moved out of his grip despite the flash of disappointment I felt at the lack of contact and stood in front of him, hands on my hips.

"Are you calling me short?" I accused, poking him in the chest. He grabbed my hand, stopping the movement and pulling me closer, wrapping his other arm around my waist.

"And what if I am?" his voice was teasing. I opened my mouth to threaten him, but at that moment, Elodie appeared next to us. 

"Hey," she greeted, dressed in her cute pale blue swimsuit. I tore myself out of Sehun's grip, cheeks flushing in embarrassment, missing the disappointment that flashed through his eyes. 

"H-hey," I coughed. "Ready to go to the beach?"

She nodded enthusiastically before leading the way. I followed, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. Her posture seemed...almost tense. 

"Hey, Elle, you okay?" I caught up with her, walking beside her as I asked. She turned and raised an eyebrow. 

"Why would I be, Ari?" she asked brightly. Cheerily, even. "I'm perfectly fine."

I searched her eyes, but she looked away towards the beach before I could get a proper glimpse. "How pretty is this beach? Mum, dad and I used to come here all the time when I was little, before..."

She hesitated, smile slipping slightly before shaking her head, her lips once again in an upwards tilt. "Let's go! First one to the water wins!"

*****************

I was by the drinking tap, gulping down water and splashing my face. I was tired, but I was having fun. Sehun and Elodie were currently building a sandcastle, which I had been helping with before deciding to take a break.

"Hey, aren't you a cutie?" a masculine, American accented voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts. I tensed, turning around to see a group of 4 men, dressed in shorts and either ed shirts of shirtless. The one who'd spoken, appearing to be the leader, had dirty blonde hair, tanned skin and sunglasses, which he removed to reveal blue eyes. He would have been attractive if it weren't for the suggestive smirk curling on his lips. "You look lonely, babe. Wanna come hang out with us?"

His eyes raked up and down my figure and he his lips, smirk widening. I mentally cringed, stomach twisting in unease. "No thanks. I'd rather stay here and wait for my friends."

"Aw, but that's no fun," he drawled, stepping closer. I refused to yield and step back. His eyes glimmered with amusement and challenge as he saw my defiant stance. His friends behind him chuckled. "Why would you wait here alone when you could have some fun with us?"

He lifted a hand to touch my shoulder, but before he could, another pale hand grabbed his wrist, effectively stopping him. 

"I think the lady has clearly stated that she doesn't want to hang out with you, gentlemen," A familiar voice punctuated the air, underlying threat and simmering anger clear in his voice. My eyes widened as Sehun appeared before me, standing in front of me protectively. "So if you could kindly leave, I'm sure that would be much appreciated."

The leader narrowed his eyes and wrenched his hand out of Sehun's grip, raising an eyebrow as his friends tensed. 

"And who are you to say what she wants?" he asked challengingly, taking a step forward. They were about the same height but the other man was more muscular and solid, which caused him to smirk. Sehun remained uncowed, however, and stood there calmly with steely eyes. I could just feel the testosterone filling the air.

"Well, as her boyfriend, I'd assume she wouldn't want to hang out with pushy and desperate bastards like you," he replied almost disparagingly. I nearly choked at his answer. 

Boyfriend?!

I coughed pathetically, trying to disguise my red cheeks. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the tiniest of smirks dance across Sehun's lips before disappearing. I was unable to do anything else, however, before the other man stepped even closer, eyes turning to daggers. 

"You see, bro, that's where I don't believe you. My friends saw you hanging out with that hot blonde chick before. Are you sure you're not just trying to pick up girls for yourself? That's a bit selfish, don't you think?" He sneered. "I'm sure you can share, can't you?"

His eyes drifted to me again and I retorted with a glare. Sehun's eyes narrowed angrily. "She's not-"

"I'm not an object you idiots can just 'share'," my voice was clipped and sharp as I stood out from behind Sehun. I glared at the four guys in front of me condescendingly. "Who I hang out with and who my...boyfriend, hangs out with is none of your concern. For your information, that 'hot blonde chick' you referred to a moment ago is Elodie Powell, daughter of the famous CEO, Andre Powell. We're her friends, business heirs from Korea, trying to enjoy our stay in America without it being ruined by jerks like you."

"Now if you don't leave immediately, I will call security and have you arrested and charged with harassment," My gaze was dead serious and stone cold. They paled in fear, taking a step back. Only the first guy remained impertinent and unfazed.

"So you're hot and rich. I think we hit the jackpot," he grinned smugly. He was about to take another step towards me, but one of his friends stopped him. 

"H-hey, Jonathan... I think we should just leave," one of his friends, a small, lanky brunette, called out nervously. Jonathan, the guy with the sunglasses, gritted his teeth at the lack of support he was getting from his friends. 

"You little , Andrew," he spat, whirling around to glare at his friend. "You guys are cowards. She's just playing hard to get-"

"You should listen to your friend," Sehun growled, wrapping an arm around me possessively. "One step closer and I'll beat you to a bloody pulp."

"Not gonna call the security to do it? Not worried that I'll ing beat you?" Blue-eyes taunted. Subtly grabbing Sehun's hand to restrain him, I stared at Jonathan impassively, with a look that my mother would be proud of.

"You really don't know when to stop, do you?" I sighed. "My boyfriend is a black belt in karate. Calling security to beat you up would be letting you off easy. You'd have a snowball's chance in hell in beating him." 

Blondie, with jaw clenched, glowered at me. Perhaps he was finally realising that he was out-matched. Regardless, I decided to give him a final push. 

"Well?" I plucked an eyebrow coolly and crossed my arms, a dangerous smile playing on my lips, leaning against Sehun's frame casually. "You'd do well to follow your friend's suggestion and off. I can get you thrown into jail with a click of my fingers. Is that really how you'd like to spend your summer?"

Finally, he cursed. "Fine, you crazy ," he spat, before turning his dark eyes to Sehun. "You can have your girlfriend to yourself. She's insane anyway. ing ."

Sehun only glared back. "Watch your language, you ing jerk."

With one last angry scowl in our direction, Jonathan stalked off, his lackeys following and shooting us fearful looks. Once they were out of sight, I breathed a sigh of relief, the previous air of confidence vanishing as I slumped. 

"Man, that was terrifying. I don't know how mom does it," I mumbled. Sehun only scowled. 

"You idiot, always running into trouble," he frowned, nudging me on the head less than gently. 

"Excuse me? It's not like I purposely do it!" I retorted indignantly. He sighed.

"This is exactly what I was worried about, with you wandering around with so much skin exposed," he muttered, crossing his arms unhappily. "I don't know how many men I've seen eyeing you as you walked past. It's infuriating." My jaw dropped. So that was what he was worried and scowling about all this time? 

Unable to help it, a chuckle escaped my lips. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I felt a warm glow at his protectiveness. "You're an idiot," I smiled affectionately, tilting my head as I looked at him. His eyes widened at my expression and I caught the faintest red on his cheeks. "But thank you for coming to save me anyway...even if I didn't need it," I grinned. His mouth was slightly open in surprise. 

Then, not knowing what sort of impulse drove me to do it, I stood up on my tippy toes and quickly pressed my lips against his cheek, before withdrawing and laughing at his dumbfounded expression, trying to cover my own embarrassment.

'Holy , Areum. What the did you just do!?'

Coughing, I stepped back. "So, um, yeah... thanks." 

Without another glance, I scurried off, face burning. I didn't stop until I reached the water, where the sun was just touching the edge of the horizon.

'Holy , holy , holy , you idiot, Areum! What did you do that for!?'

Cringing mentally, I rubbed my eyes tiredly as I stood on the edge of the water. Then, as the waves rose and touched my toes as the sun finally broke across the horizon, a tiny

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter