WTHW chapter 02

What the Heart Wants

Good thing then. So let's talk about how you guys got together. What's the story? What made you like each other in the first place?

[They took some time thinking]
C: For me, it was when we met for the Gayo Daejun 2016 accoustic performance's rehearsal. It was the first time I got up close and personal with her. I mean, I know we're not alone but it's the first time being together in the same place for quite a while. Her talent blew me away. Also her personality. She plays guitar. She can cook. I love her voice. She's so pretty. (grinning sheepishly) 
[ Rosé shook her head while also tried to hide her shy smile]
C: I tried to get close after the performance but it seemed that we only crossed each other paths by attending and performing in those year end award shows. And everytime we met we would just give greeting to each other. There was no way we could talk more under those watchful eyes. Plus, she was really cool to me. Her disinterest in me only made me want to pursue her more.
R: Well I was just a rookie back then,  and he's my sunbaenim. I really didn't think of love or dating back then. Besides the fact that all of us were in a dating ban, I was really into focusing to music and nothing else. Plus who would've thought the famous Park Chanyeol sunbaenim has feelings for me? I'd probably think you're just joking.
C: Yeah I know. That's why I took my time contacting her. I though I was going crazy for waiting that long. (he's messing his own hair) Hmm you didn't think I'd fall for you? (smiling like an idiot) How naive. Fyi you had and still have a lot of fan boys. (teasing her)
R (trying to ignore him though her face was red): I of course rejected him at first. A few times actually.
C: That hurts! She rejected me a million times. (putting both hands over his heart)

You weren't discouraged?

C: No. I'm not the type to give up easily. (saying it firmly with a thin shy smile)

And Rosé-ssi, why did you change your mind in the end?

R: Ah. I eventually grew tired of rejecting him. He's really persistent. I thought to my self if he wasn't that serious--if he was only joking, he would have given up by then, right? He even knew my dating ban but kept on pursuing me. And this happened for a full year. (her face already red)
C: Wait you haven't answered yet! What made you like me?
R: Ah that question has passed.
C (pouting): Not fair.
R: Uhm... Because of your persistency?
C: That's it?
R: Because you're like a human beagle.
C: And?
R: You can cook.
C: And?
R: You have a really nice voice.
C: Go on.
R: Oh my God I know where this is leading. You just want me to say it out loud.
[Chaenyol nodded mischeviously]
R: Agh fine. You. Are. Handsome. Happy?
C: That's it! Whooo~ (clapping his hands)
R: Our fans might think I'm shallow now. (pouting)
C: Aah no worries. They know you're not. I was aiming at your fanboys. (patting Rosé's head ever so gently with a wide grin)

Did you guys dated immediately then?

R (waving her hand frantically): No. No.
C: Did we not? Well actually during the whole year she rejected me she was still kind enough to stay as friends. We talked from time to time although she made it clear that I was in the friend zone. She even only called me sunbaenim during those times. Ugh. (looking frustrated but happy it was all in the past)
R: Uhm I guess the line from friends to being lovers was kind of blurry after that... He didn't officially asked me to be his girlfriend, but one day he just started calling me 'jhagiya'. (saying the last word with almost a whisper)
C: And you didn't protest. So I consider it the day my lo--I mean affection was finally accepted.

So how long did you guys succeed in dating secretly before your friends knew? I'm guessing a few inner circle friends must've known this for a while.

R: My members found out after only two months of dating! (closing trying to contain her smile)
C: She clearly doesn't know the meaning of secret. (trying to look annoyed)
R: I mean I only have those three girls to depend on if ever something happens, right? We always have each other's back. And truthfully, dating in secret while having a dating ban is really hard. I really needed and wanted their support. Lucky for me they accepted it without a fuss.
[Chanyeol squeezed her hand briefly]

What about the times you rejected Chanyeol-ssi? Did the members know about it as well?

R: Yes. They actually felt sorry for him. (smiling) And for me too, they felt that he would be a good match for me.
C: They weren't wrong eh. (beaming a happy smile)

---

Daniel* sighed. "Chaeyoungie, he's calling again."

*Blackpink's manager oppa

Blackpink was in a car with their manager who was driving.

Chaeyoung looked confused. "Who?"

"Mr. Park Chanyeol." He rolled his eyes.

The other girls shrieked.

"HE REALLY LIKES YOU", commented Lisa in a full teasing mode.

"Haha this is like the what--50th phone call?" teased Jennie.

"Oh my God just answer the phone and give him your personal number, dammit. So Dan oppa can live peacefully", said a savage Jisoo while retreaving Daniel's mobile phone from him.

"I FORBID YOU GIVING YOUR PERSONAL NUMBER, CHAEYOUNGIE." Then he sighed again. "Though that will really make my life a whole lot easier."

Jisoo answered the phone. "Yeobseyo sunbaenim. Let me pass the phone to Rosé."

Chaeyoung's jaw dropped while Jennie and Lisa tried to suppressed their giggle.

Jisoo pushed the phone to Chaeyoung's hand

"UNNIE!" She hissed.

Then the other three were pretending being busy with something and ignored her. Daniel even turned up the music. He was thinking of letting this one slide as well (yes it did already happened a few times).

Chaeyoung was dumbfounded. She inhaled and exhaled before putting the phone to her ear.

"Yeobseyo?"

---

What about you, Chanyeol-ssi? Any rejection from your members?

C: My members didn't find out at the same time. At first I told Baekhyun-ssi. He knew I had a crush on her all along even before I started pursuing her. And he was there for the whole process actually.
R (slaps his hand lightly): And you told me I'm the one who couldn't keep a secret!
C: Haha. Sorry Chae--Rosé-ssi. (clearing his throat) He's really supportive though. Then Suho hyung who was already suspicious of me found out when we kind of had a break-up. (glancing at Rose with sad eyes) I was in a total mess. He eventually convinced me to spill my problems. Annnnnnnd Sehun-ah knew too after 'accidentally' hearing my phone call with her. I swear I think he just creeped up on me randomly. Regarding the other members...
R: Oh no. (covering her face while groaning)

Oh is there an interesting story behind this one?

R: More like embarrassing. Oh my God noooooooooo~~ (hiding her face)
C (laughing shyly): Hahaha. Uhm yes. This is quite an embarrassing story. So about three years ago we were performing in a festival. The line up was Blackpink then EXO. They were just getting off from the stage when we came at the backstage. We greeted each other then her necklace fell off when she bowed. She didn't even realized it. I mean, how? How did she not noticed it? The necklace looked quite heavy to me.
[Rosé looked like she wanted to sink into the chair. She covered her face the whole time]
C: I automatically picked it up and called her. Long story short I called her uh with a different name instead of Rosé. Safe to say, I dug my own grave that day.
R: You couldn't just hand it over to me directly, huh? (she's protesting while peeping through her hands)
C: I was going up on stage! I didn't thought about that! I regret to say it wasn't our best performance that day because of this incident.....
[Rosé was totally out of frame now from bending her body due to embarrassement]

---

EXO arrived just in time as Blackpink finished the stage. He could hear the audience's satisfied shouts and loud handclaps and couldn't help but feel proud of his girlfriend. Too bad their live performance went on while EXO was also preparing in the changing room. The floor assistant asked them to standby while the stage was being cleared, he then left them to monitor other ongoing work. Then a staff led Blackpink to the backstage. He could see her shy smile and rosy cheeks from afar. So beautiful, he thought. Then he frowned seeing her mini dress. And y. He didn't like the way boys in general would see her. The girls approached the boys who were already smirking (because they knew Chanyeol had a crush on Chaeyoung but the ones who knew better--Baekhyun, Suho and Sehun had a different kind of mischievous smirk). They greeted each other and bowed.

"Annyeong, EXO sunbaenim."

"Hi girls. Where are you going after this? Aren't you going to watch us perform?" asked Baekhyun. The others (except the knowing ones) looked at him with surprised wide eyes thinking how friendly he was being to them. They usually just exchanged greetings and seldomly conversed.

Jisoo replied, "Aah so sorry Baekhyun sunbaenim, we have to return to YG now. But I'm sure you'll do great as always!"

Meanwhile Chaeyoung and Chanyeol were exchanging a silent greeting with their eyes. Sehun wanted to hit them. The boys looked like they're waiting for an interaction between the two (they kept side-eyeing Chanyeol with a teasing smirk).

"Aay don't call me sunbaenim. You can call me oppa", teased Baekhyun. Chen slapped his arm in response.

The girls laughed. "Haha noooo sunbaenim. I don't want to be killed by your fans", said Jisoo playfully.

Baekhyun whined, "But you guys have debuted a long time ago. You can drop a bit of the formality now. It's not so hard you can do it like in Boombayah." He then shot arrow hearts to Jisoo while mouthing 'oppa'.

Chen and Suho quickly pushed him far away back. "Hohoho please ignore him, girls", said Suho with an awkward laugh.

The girls chuckled before bowing again. Chaeyoung gave Chanyeol one meaningful glance (which he replied with a smile) before turning her back on them. They were teasing Baekhyun ("Dude! What were you thinking?" "Niceeeeee one." "Idiot hyung." "So you're crushing on Jisoo-ssi now?" "Ask Suho-hyung's permission first.") when a sparkly jewelry caught Chanyeol's eyes. He picked the necklace up and realized it belonged to Chaeyoung. "That's Rosé-ssi's", said Lay who was standing beside him.

Uh-oh. Better return it now.

"ROSÉ-SSI!"

She was still walking away.

"ROSÉ-SSI!"

No response. Dammit do I have to yell louder?

"ROSÉ-SSIIIIII!"

All he saw was her back getting further away.

"CHAEYOUNGIE!"

That did the trick. She froze at her spot. Except she's not the only one. Everybody froze. Chanyeol gasped and covered a hand to his mouth. His already big eyes seemed to grow bigger. Four members of Blackpink turned their bodies toward them again. Mouths hung open. Five members of EXO were looking at him with a horrofic expression like he'd gone crazy while Suho slapped his own forehead, Baekhyun's jaw dropped (kaebsong level = 100) and Sehun was laughing his off silently while facing the wall.

Chanyeol quickly scanned their environment for damage control. Ok loud music still playing and the range of my shouting is just between my members and hers.

"Uhm... I mean, Rosé-ssi."

Baekhyun whispered, "Dude, not helping."

A moment of awkwardness and silence filled them until the floor assistant returned and announced that EXO can come up to the stage. The red faced Chaeyoung quickly took her necklace from Chanyeol's hand in a speed of light while bowing, "Thank you sunbaenim!". Two seconds later she has already dissapeared followed by her shocked yet amused members.

"Chanyeol dude....."

"WHAT THE ACTUAL F--"

"WHAT JUST HAPPENED??!"

"Have you gone MAD????"

"You've got a lot of explaining there, bro."

Chanyeol cursed himself. He looked to Suho and said, "I'm in trouble, aren't I?"

"With us, no. Not really", replied Suho sympathetically. Baekhyun nodded then patted Chanyeol's back.

"With her, a BIG YES", added Sehun with a grin.