WTHW chapter 03

What the Heart Wants

R: Next question PLEASE. (fanning herself)

So how did EXO members reacted after knowing your relationship?

C: They were... Let's see if I can get the order right; shocked - mad - relieved - happy and supportive. Suho hyung immediately held a family meeting--that's what we call it in EXO. You don't know how tiring that day was for me. Oh and for Rosé-ssi too. I really felt bad for her. (patting her back head gently)

Let us clear up the timeline then. You first contacted her after Gayo Daejun 2016, pursued her over a year, and now on the 4th year of your relationship?

C: Yes. 4 years including the months we've broken up though.
R: I can't believe it's been 4 years...
C: 4 years of ninja dating.

Have you guys personally gone to YG and asked his permission to date?

[They looked at each other]
C: Yes we did. I mean, our managers did. After a year and a few months of dating I felt the need to ask YG's permission so our relationship can be awknowledged. At least by our two companies. Unfortunately, that didn't go well. My company did not approve yet, but they were being flexible and letting me do what I want. While YG told us to break it off. It was a firm decision. Blackpink was 2 years old and just months away to entering their 3rd year, so of course there were still many concerns.

You guys broke it off?

R: We had to. I mean, I had to. Chanyeol-ssi was very much persistent and wanted to go butthead but I decided to follow my company's order. It broke my heart that in the end he was so understanding and went for it. (looking at him with loving eyes)
C: I didn't say I'd give up though. Like I said I was totally in a mess back then. I think we broke up for 7 months? That's how long I didn't keep in touch with her. It drove me crazy. It affected my work. And my fans also suspected that I've broken up with someone because of all the songs I posted on my soundcloud. Or my sad instagram posts. Or my sad playlists. (pouting to Rosé)
[She patted his hand]

I remember the news about you having health issues a few years ago, so this was the case?

C (nodding): Yeah. It got her attention though.
R: I was so worried! I asked my manager to check it with his manager. And even then I didn't know what to do.
C: She managed to sneaked in some medicines and food through my manager. Fyi, my manager was and is very supportive of our relationship. That's when I thought that I have to get healthy and win her back.

How did you guys get back together?

C: I reached out to her members, you know asking for advices and stuffs.
R: They told me to just follow my heart and not to worry about Blackpink. Follow my passion in music, but also my heart. They said our group is strong and it would only get stronger.
C: And we got back together. Secretly without our companies knowing.

---

It was raining hard. Chaeyoung sighed while looking out at the window. Heavy rain. Just like my heart... She felt like crying again. It's been almost seven months without Chanyeol. She tapped the window gently. Blackpink just finished a fan meeting in Tokyo. Here they were, stuck in the hotel. They had a plan to go grab dinner somewhere but truthfully Chaeyoung had no appetite. She always tried to be happy and cheerful whenever she's with her members and public but she knew the people close to her couldn't be fooled.

Now she was wondering where Lisa, her roommate, is. She heard the sound of the door opening and prepared a smile. Her members walked in with full dinner attire.

"Is our dinner plan still on?", asked Chaeyoung confused.

Jennie nodded excitedly. "Yes! Come on wear your jacket. Dan oppa* is taking us to Seungri oppa's sushi bar!"

*short for Daniel, their manager (name: Daniel Jung)

"In this weather?" Chaeyoung blinked naively.

Lisa sighed. "Unnies, I think it's better if Chaeyoungie stays at the hotel. She looks tired, no?" She put both of her hands at Chaeyoung's shoulder then looked at the other two with a sad pout.

"But I'm--"

"Oh my God yes you do look tired! Look at that dark circle under your eyes! If you don't rest you'll share a couple look with Seungri oppa!", commented Jisoo with a look of shock.

Chaeyoung's hands automatically went to her face. "I have dark circles????"

Jennie said, "Relax. It's not that bad. But yeah you should rest. We'll just deliver your dinner to the hotel."

"But--"

"Rest! But don't sleep yet until your food comes, okay?", spoke Lisa who covered Chaeyoung's body with a blanket (while they were both standing).

The girls quickly exited the room after waving her goodbye. Chaeyoung could only look at the closed door with a dumbfounded face.

"...... Do I look that bad?" She asked herself while looking at the huge mirror. She admitted she did look tired but no signs of dark circles anywhere. She frowned. Either the girls were only teasing me, or they know that I wanted to be left alone tonight.

She sat on the edge of the bed, her mind wondering around. How is he? Is he healthy? Did he received the medicines and vitamins I sent? I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do. 7 Months... Has he moved on? Chayeoung has checked his social media posts about two months after they broke up. It seemed like he was in a chaotic meltdown, same as her. Did I do the right thing by letting him go? Was I being selfish?

If that's your decision, I'll follow it. I'm not happy, but I'll follow it. I want to change it, God knows how much I want to change your decision... But your happiness means everything to me. I don't want to be the reason why you're sad and distress. I love you. I hope you know that everything I felt was and is real.

Her tears dropped to the blanket she was holding. His last words haunted her head. After the break-up, both companies tried to avoid EXO and Blackpink from being on the same broadcast or venue together. She wondered how long will this hide and seek go on. On one side, she was relieved for not having to see him in a while, she needed time to heal her heart. But on the other side, she wanted to see him to check whether he's alright.

She wiped away her tears. How is it that my heart hasn't healed yet after seven freaking months. Did I fall too deeply? Or maybe it's just the way we broke-up. It was an unwanted separation. Maybe if it was purely my or his decision, it wouldn't hurt this much.

Her stomach growled. She laughed despite her aching heart. Apparently I'm hungry although my mouth doesn't feel like chewing. She stood up to get her phone by the drawer but surprised to hear the door bell rang.

"Chaeyoungie! Your dinner's here", her manager's voice sounded muffled through the door.

"Coming Dan oppa!" She opened the door to find her manager carrying a picnic box. "That was quick! Weren't you with the girls? Didn't you guys just left about fifteen minutes ago? Uh oppa... What is that?"

Daniel lifted up the picnic box. "Your dinnerrr~~."

"Uh thanks oppa. But did you really think I was that hungry?"

He smiled. "That's why I brought you a companion!" Daniel quickly transferred the picnic box to a person who apparently was hiding behind the wall. He pushed the person in then closed the door after saying "Enjoy!".

Chaeyoung backed away from the person who'd bump her. Tall. All dressed in black. He wore a face mask that covered his face from the eyes till his upper neck. He also wore a cap that was hidden under his hoodie. There was no mistaken who this man was. Chanyeong knew him too well. She felt like fainting.

"Y-you...."

He opened his face mask and cap. Lowered his hoodie. Chanyeol was standing in front of her with a look of desperation, worry, and anxious mixed all together. His big eyes penetrated her soul.

"Chaengie....."

One word. It took only one word from his lips to break the dam of tears she was holding in. She turned her body, not daring to meet his eyes. Her body shook as she tried to hide her sobs.

He sighed then moved to her cautiously. Slowly. Without hesitation he put his arms around her and buried his face in her hair. "Sshhh... Don't cry..."

She felt warm instantly. Not just the body, but her heart as well. How could this human blanket affected her this much?

They stayed like that for a while. Until her sobbing dissapeared. Until the rain dropped to only a drizzle. He braved himself to turn her body over, facing his. Her face was still looking down so he enveloped her in another hug.

"I know you don't want to show your ugly crying face to me now." His teasing was light. Like sunshine to my ear, thought Chaeyoung.

"Why are you here...?" I don't deserve you.

What felt like a minute passed by until he replied, "I'm here for my own selfishness." His heart pounding hard.

Chaeyoung slowly looked up at him. Traces of her tears were visible. Sadness graced his eyes as he wiped away the remaining tears. She looked so fragile to him, he always wanted to protect her. He just didn't know if he could protect her from his own thirsty heart. From his needs and wants. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

"I... I thought a lot for these past months. I though I could let you go to be happy. But I can't, Chaengie. I just can't. I've been in hell. I don't want you to be happy. Alone. I want you to be happy with me." He sighed. "I know I'm being a super selfish bastard right now. After all I'm the one who told you that I'd follow your decision. I'm rebelling now, Chaeyoungie. I'm taking it back. The thought of not having you beside me is crushing me."

He waited for her to reply. Should I go on and on? What if after this she'd say shut up and kick me out of the room? His palms were suddenly sweaty.

She looked into his determined eyes, searching for something. At last she replied, "....... I forgot how much you like to talk."

Huh? That was not the reply Chanyeol was expecting. He didn't knew whether this was a good thing or not so he waited for her to do the talking.

"You're really selfish, Yeolie oppa. Really really selfish."

His heart sank. Both of his arms fell beside him.

"Why did it take you long to come see me? So selfish."

He looked at her with a startle. She was smiling. A genuine happy smile. Chaeyoung felt as if her heart wanted to burst open from it's cage.

She slowly put her right hand to his cheek. ".... Are you sure about this?"

He beamed, unable to contain himself. Chanyeol scooped her right into his arms and lifted her up. "I'm never letting you go again!"

He put her down then snuggled his face into her neck. She played with his hair. It was magic that all their pain for almost 7 months could go away as soon as they touched each other. No it wasn't magic. It was love. No other explanation. She embraced him tightly.

"You still smell the same. Oh Goddd how I miss it", commented Chanyeol.

"And you stink of rain", said Chanyeong with a grin.

"Hey!" He let her go. "Shorty."

She playfully hit him. "I'm not that short! You're the one who's too tall!"

"Whatever shorty." He grinned. How he missed teasing her.

She tip toed and kissed his nose. His eyes widen. She smiled. "I'll let you get away with calling me that only this one time, Gandalf."

He cupped her face and kissed her. The kiss was sweet and longing and stayed like that until an abrupt noise filled the room.

Chaeyoung couldn't help but laughed. "I think someone's hungry."

He pouted. "My stomach is betraying me..." He looked at her and thought how different a few minutes of them being together could make compared to when he just saw her twenty minutes ago. Now her eyes are gleaming and her cheeks full of rosy red color. He felt satisfied that he can always make her blush (vice versa as well though).

"We have this! I'm sure you're hungry too. Look at that thin body. We need to fatten you up", said Chanyeol while opening the picnic box.

Chaeyoung was surprised. "So there's real food inside?"

He chuckled. "Did you think it was only for property? No way your girls and manager and I will let you starve."

He put out all the food nicely on the dining table and pulled a chair for her to sit on. She obliged than waited for him to sit beside her.

"So... You've got a lot explaining to do", said Chaeyoung.

He groaned. "Can I tell you while eating?", pleaded Chanyeol.

She hid her smile. "Yes of course, Yeolie oppa."

He pinched both of her cheeks. "Stop being cuuuuute! How can I eat when you're like this??"

"But your fans call you that too", protested Chaeyoung while patting her cheeks.

"But it's different hearing you say that." He whispered in her ear, "Jhagiya."

As he predicted, the rosy cheeks grew a brighter red. She pretended to be cool and focused on her chopstick instead.

So Chanyeol told her the story of how he got there. How he managed to escape from his other members and manager with the help of Suho and Baekhyun while EXO was having a Japanese edition photo album shoot in Osaka. How he bought a return ticket to Seoul via Tokyo (later of course he's not going to use the Tokyo - Seoul route). How he was planning to return to Osaka by train later and hope nobody recognizes him. How the girls and Daniel were supportive, they were actually the ones that told him to come today (even Chaeyoung didn't knew that EXO was in Japan also). How Daniel smuggled him as a YG staff. How he thought of making dinner himself but didn't have the time so he just ordered from a famous restaurant in Tokyo with the help from Lisa (while Jennie bought the picnic box).

Chaeyoung went teary but held it in. This was the man who is going to be there with her all the way and protect their love, even if it meant defying YG (and even SM). She would think about that later. Rebeling against her company and all. Now she would just like to rest her head on his shoulder, hold his hand and let the world be quiet.

"So we're going to do this?"

Her search was over. She knew it the moment she looked into his eyes and found herself staring back at him with the same determination.

"Yes. We're going to do this."