WTHW chapter 01

What the Heart Wants

One day at YG Republique...

It was 3 AM in the morning but there were signs of heavy movements inside the first floor of the closed restaurant. What appeared to be a filming crew were busy setting up microphones, cameras, and lighting.

Ten minutes later, a quite tall slim girl with her manager and glam team arrived. She greeted the staff with a warm smile and low bow. She looked like she just had a few hours of sleep, yet her eyes were bright. Her face expressions consisted of anxiety and shyness.

"Aah so we'll sit here?" She asked the PD.

He nodded with a smile.

"He hasn't arrived yet?",asked her manager. The filming crew shook their heads.

"How about you sit first? We'll do a camera test", said the PD.

They immediately adjusted the michrophone and lighting set once she sat down.

"Okay. The cameras look good."

Her make-up artist and stylist automatically went to her to give a little fix. She wore a green plumatis blouse and black jeans. Her long wavy dark brown hair hung loose.

She sat restlessly. Fifteen minutes (what felt like hours for the girl) later the restaurant door opened and a tall young man entered with his manager. He walked in with a shy smile and greeted everyone in the room. The staff all came to shake his hand.

The girl's heart pounded when he turned to give her the sweetest smile. He excitedly took the seat beside her. His big eyes covered in warmness.

"Did you waited long?"

For a moment she forgot that was still hanging open due to the sight of him. She quickly shook her head.

"No. Not really."

He asked with a worried face, "You look a bit tired. Did you sleep at all?"

And you looked handsome as always. She brushed off her thought then answered, "Oh no! Do my eyes looked puffy? I did have a small amount of sleeping time but I feel fine though..." She cupped her face, a bit flustered.

He brushed off a few strands of hair that covered her right eye. "Your eyes are fine. I just can tell that you're lacking sleep. Make sure to rest well after this, yeah?"

She nodded. Her cheeks painted red.

The looked at each other with affection and shyness that made the whole staff squirmed delightly (while their managers both cringed).

"Ooooookay you guys! Let's start to shoot in five?" The PD clapped his hands.

They both parted their gaze and cleared their throats. Her make-up artist then came to him to add a bit powder to his nose and T line. He tugged his green-blue chekered collar worn under a black light sweater, making sure that it was neat.

"Okay you two. Just take this as a usual interview. Reply honestly. I've ran through the questions with your managers and companies to make sure none is awkward. So just try and be comfortable, okay?", said Lee Misun aka YG's communication assistant manager.

They both nodded slowly.

How can I be relax?? She thought hopelessly.

Boy this is more nerve-wrecking than performing on any stages! Thought the young man who tried to calm himself down.

Two hearts were beating vigorously as the PD ordered the cameras to roll.

---

Okay first can you please introduce yourselves?

R: Hello everyone. I'm Rosé from Blackpink.
C: Hello. I'm EXO's Chanyeol.

This interview is conducted because both of you wanted to make a clarification. So... Is it true that you were dating secretly and would like to now come out now to the public?

[They looked at each other before answering, both cheeks were red]
C: That is true.
R (fidgeting): ... Yes.

Congratulation! Thus this is your very first interview as a couple. Can you tell us how long has this been going?

C (looking at Rose with uncertainty): Uhm I'll let her answer that (chuckles).
R: Uhm... We started contacting since five years ago? More or less. But officially dating....? (looking at Chanyeol for help)
C: Let's just say we've dated since our first personal interaction.
R: Don't be silly (laughing).
C: Well it was my aim to date you anyways. That was the main reason in contacting you (smiling shyly).

So you guys can't decide when your relationship was official. How did you spend your 100th day then?

R (looking dazed): 100th day... Oh now I remember!
C: When we ate instant noodles in a convenience store?

You guys ate instant noodles together in a convenience store?? How did that happened?

R: Yes yes that happened (laughing)! But that's not what I meant. Remember two weeks before that? (looking at Chanyeol)
C: Aah... (giving a satisfactory shy smile)
R: It's quite embarassing to tell actuall. (hiding her face with both hands)

Go on, tell us.

[Rosé nudged Chanyeol]
C (sighing): Well... I originally wanted to take her out to dinner at this restaurant--
R (chiming in): Which turned out to be really popular.
C: Hey I didn't really thought it was THAT popular (laughing). The place was really crowded that night. I was kind of bummed because the situation was perfect for us. We successfully escaped our managers and members... But looking at the restaurant that was packed with people, we didn't dare to risk exposing ourselves.
R: We were already in disguise but still...

So what did you guys do? Return home?

[They looked at each other while trying to contain a laughter of embarrassement]
C: So you see... We still had dinner. Just... separately.
[They both couldn't look at the camera and ended up laughing while looking at the ground]
C: We went to different restaurants and had dinner while video calling each other. I still count that as a date.
R: He's so persistent! (wide eyes full of amusement) He insisted it was our first date.
[Chanyeol looked like he wanted to snuggle up to Rosé in a spoiled way but contained himself]
C: It was a memorable first date, don't you think?

Why did you guys ended up in different restaurants? Why don't go to another restaurant?

R: Uhm we were already discouraged by the sight of the crowded restaurant. It basically heighten our fear of being exposed.
C: Yeah. I got there first then called her. I swear I think our discussion on the phone--weighing our options--took longer than eating the dinner. We both didn't want to go home--
R: I didn't say I didn't want to go home.
C (smirking): Uh-huh. Okay. Anyways we decided to just go eat dinner separately but still connected via video calling.
R: It was his idea. I don't know how he came up with it.
C: A moment of desperation.
[They both laughed shyly]

Was it safe to do the video call in the restaurants you ended up going?

R: Ah mine was really safe. It had a private room.
C: I purposely chosen a less crowded restaurant. I just took the table furthest at the back. Even the waiters ignored me. (chuckling)
R: We video called until our batteries ran out.
C: I am the only person to have a mukbang video of Rosé from Blackpink.
[She hit him playfully]
R: Uh yeah so our 100th day was counted after that day.
C: And we didn't really do anything special on our 100th day, right? I just sent her dozens of roses in all colors available.
[Rosé smiled warmly]

---

Chaeyoung was being dropped off at Insadong by her friend.

"Thanks Hyejin unnie!", Chaeyoung hugged her before opening the car door.

"Wait!" Hyejin fixed Chaeyoung's face mask. "There. I don't know what you're doing here but be cautious always and have fun!"

Chaeyoung giggled. How do I be cautious and have fun at the same time? Oh my God, now I feel really nervous. She put a hand over her heart.

The former YG staff laughed. "I'm not even going to ask you why you're here. Are you sure you'll be okay going home yourself?"

"Yes! I'll take a taxi later. Thanks unnie! Bye~", she hopped out from the car then waved until it dissapeared.

Venturing a part of the city at night without my girls! Gosh, this is exciting and scary at the same time! I must be crazy right now. But apparently having a crush makes you a bit brave. And stupid.

She walked a few minutes inside the neighbourhood while trying to find the restaurant. Her phone vibrated inside her clutch. She took it out.

"Hello?"

"Hello. It's me. Are you here yet?" His deep voice gave her goosebumps. She was still not used to it.

"Not yet. I'm still looking for the restaurant."

"Uhm I think it's better to stay where you are now. The restaurant is really crowded, I think there's some sort of event going on." He sighed. "Sorry Chaeyoung-ssi."

She could imagine him bowing right now. She nodded but realized that he couldn't see it. "It's okay, Chanyeol sunbaenim." Chaeyoung did feel a bit dissapointed though.

"No. Nooo. It's not okay. Today is like a really rare opportunity. You actually saying yes to meet me. And both of us did a fine escape from our dorms..." Chanyeol sighed. We can't just end the night like this? It hasn't even started yet.

She laughed.

"Oh by the way how did you get to wherever you are now?", he suddenly remembered.

Chaeyoung was walking to a food street stall now. "A friend dropped me by earlier. I can take a taxi home."

Chanyeol fidgeted. "I wish I can take you home myself. Uhm wait. This friend... Uhm.." Is he a boy???

She thought she knew what question he was going for, but waited for him to finish speaking. "Yes?"

"Is your friend.... Uh... You know..."

She hid her giggle. "My friend doesn't know whom I'm meeting with."

"Oh. Okay. But it's not that. It's... Uh.. Your friend..." Chanyeol wanted to hit his head to the wall. Just ask her, man!

Chaeyoung finally gave a small laugh. "It's a she."

A big smile of relief was plastered on his face (hidden by a face mask though). He cleared his throat. "Okay. So... Should we meet at another restaurant?". Then he just realized how crowded Insadong at the moment. All the alley seemed busy with people. Stood there 185cm tall wearing a white tee layered by a club collar dress shirt under a simple navy semi long blazer, Chanyeol felt a bit uneasy. His face mask covered most of his face, leaving the forehead and eyes only. The beanie and glasses completed his disguise.

I feel my disguise is okay, but a few people are glancing suspiciously at me. He sighed. It's not my fault that I'm attractive and handsome and draw attention.

".... Chanyeol sunbaenim?"

He slapped himself. What a time to be narcisstic, idiot! "Uh yes, sorry Chaeyoung-ssi. I don't think it's safe for us to meet anywhere here."

"... Okay."

Do I detect dissapointment there?, thought Chanyeol worried. He quickly added, "But I really want to see you."

"Okay."

"But the situation now....."

"It's okay. I get it. You do stand out though", said Chaeyoung.

"Huh?" *Did she read my mind?*

"Maybe it'll be less conspicious if you try walking around instead of staying at the same spot", she suggested.

A sudden realization hit Chanyeol. He frantically looked around him. Across his road, around 4 meters to the right stood a disguised Chaeyoung. She wore a face mask, cap, and hoodie. She wore an oversized maroon hoodie dress and thick black stocking. Her hair was side braided.

"I purposely wore something I seldomly wear", she said shyly, feeling his eyes examining her.

Chanyeol smiled. "It looks good on you either way."

She tilted her head. "So... Any ideas now? Or should we just end the night here? You said you wanted to see me, now you have", teased Chaeyoung.

He pouted.

She started walking slowly on her road. Chanyeol mimicked her while staying at his side of the road.

"Since it's already dinner time, you should eat", he said.

She glanced at him. "And so should you."

"Okay let's eat dinner together. But not 'together' together", he spoke after suddenly getting an idea. I'm desperate.

She stopped at her tracks. "Huh?"

"Why don't we go to different restaurants?"

She frowned. "And eat alone?"

"I don't want to risk you being exposed. Wait hang up for just a few seconds. I'll call you back."

She was confused but obliged. Seconds later she received a video call from him. Chaeyoung chuckled.

"I hope your battery is full."

The next thing his video call was turned off. He was about to protest when her text message came in.

[Let's just do the video call when both of us have actually sit inside a restaurant?]

He smiled and replied her. He forgot that they're surrounded by people who can catch a glance at their phones.

[Okay.]

[I'll go first. A restaurant I passed by earlier looks good.]

She quietly shook her head. Why am I following his silly idea? But she knew better. She didn't want to go home yet and there was no way she could do a video call with him at the dorm. At least they 'somehow' were going to dine together. It was true that she couldn't be risked exposed to all the people so separate restaurants might not be a bad idea.

[Okay. Be careful.]

[You too, sunbaenim.]

He watched her as she slipped into another alley, then hummed while searching a place for himself to eat dinner.

Video call date with Chaeyoung, yesssss!

---

What's the story behind the ramyun dinner at a convenience store?

C: Ah. Both of us were just coincidentally out of our dorms. And we decided to meet up in the middle. Funny thing was that we were already in disguise as well.
R: We were still cautious about the previous cancelled meeting.
C (looking offended): Date. It was a date.
R (side-eyeing him): Anyways, it was the first time I ate instant ramyun for dinner.
C: Yes she's so healthy.

Nobody recognized you?

[They both shook their heads]
R: Fortunately, no.

---

He waved to her once he saw her stepping under the street light.

"Annyeong sunbaenim. Wow what a coincidence meeting you here", greeted a fully disguised Chaeyoung.

He laughed. "See the store is empty! I'm hungryyyy. Let's eat. We don't have a lot of time."

He took her hand and led her inside the store. Chaeyoung blushed. Chanyeol thought how fortunate of them wearing face mask now so she couldn't see his cheeks redden.

"What are we eating?"

"Instant ramyeon."

She frowned. "Euwh."

He put his hand over her shoulder while laughing hard. "Live dangerously, Chaeyoungie."