six (flashback).

The Eye [discontinued for now]

Smoke covered the sky in a pall of dull gray, and the kids choked on the smell. Sunggyu gestured for everyone to crouch; he knew that smoke rose, and that most people who died in fires actually suffocated as opposed to being burned alive.

Myungsoo coughed, and Sunggyu jerked his head back in worry. Dongwoo waved him on, falling behind to take care of the younger boy. When Sunggyu turned back to face the front, he found Woohyun beside him.

“Where do we go?” he asked quietly. “How will we get out of here?”

Sunggyu pinched the bridge of his nose. “We…” He sighed, realizing what Woohyun was implying. “You’re right,” he admitted. “I don’t really have a plan.”

“Hyung, the forest is burning.” Woohyun couldn’t disguise the anger in his voice. “We’ll die if we stay here any longer.”

“Why don’t you come up with something, then?” Sunggyu snapped. “I planned to brainstorm with the whole group, but obviously that fell through, so why don’t you suggest something?”

“Sungjong and I found something a while back,” Howon cut in, eyes darting uncertainly between the two older boys. “It’s an abandoned house, pretty deep within the woodland, so maybe the fire hasn’t gotten to it yet.”

Woohyun stared at him, almost in disbelief. Sunggyu, on the other hand, leapt upon the opportunity. “Okay,” he agreed, glaring at Woohyun. “Lead the way, Howon.”

Hesitating, as if scared that Woohyun might bite his head off, Howon gestured to Sungjong, and the two ran ahead.

“We have to be united,” Sungyeol’s quiet voice broke in. Sunggyu and Woohyun both jumped. Sungyeol was completely serious, a rare occasion for him. “If we can’t stay together, we can't survive.”

“You’re right,” Woohyun agreed, not looking at Sunggyu. “Sorry.”

Sunggyu scoffed. “Sure,” he said, not even trying to sound sincere. “Sorry.”

Sungyeol made a face. “You can’t just do that,” he complained, taking each of their hands. “Come on, my mom always made-” He choked on his words, and Sunggyu knew. “She always made us hold hands when we fought,” Sungyeol finished with fake cheer. “Let's all hold hands!”

He forced Sunggyu and Woohyun’s hands together, and at the exact same time, Howon and Sungjong reappeared. Howon raised his eyebrows, and Sunggyu jerked his hand away, flushing.

“Have you found it?” he asked shortly, flustered, running his hand through his hair. Sungjong, holding back a laugh, nodded.

“Follow us,” he said, voice strained from trying not to laugh. Howon shot Sunggyu a pointed look. Sunggyu coughed and pretended not to notice.