I - Coincidence?

Neverland

Chulmin nudged him and nodded towards the guy at the far right corner of the coffee shop. 

"Hyung, what do you think of him?" the younger guy asked. 

Chulmin and Youngbin has made it a past time to try to guess what the customers do for a living. And the guy that Chulmin is referring to now is someone who has become a permanent fixture in the coffee shop in the last month. 

"Well, judging from that backpack and the fact that he's always typing away on his laptop, i'm sure he's a college student," Youngbin answered, recalling all the times he had some sort of encounter with a guy. 

"Nah, he's probably on some seedy website chatting with girls," Mina quipped, sliding in behind the counter beside Youngbin. "I was cleaning the table beside him the other day and tried to peek into what he was doing but he has one those anti-spy screens. It's a little bit creepy," she added.

"Or maybe he's writing some sort of bestselling novel and don't want anyone to read it before hand," Chulmin countered. 

"Yah! So you're siding with that weirdo? Unbelievable" Mina exclaimed. "Youngbin-ah, what do you think? Which one of us got it correctly?" she asked Youngbin. 

He was about to answer when the guy stood up and started walking towards them. Mina excused herself, muttering something about cleaning the kitchen and Chulmin following her, that smile and knowing glint in his eye plus that last glance towards the approaching customer spoke a lot. 

"Excuse me," 

"Yes, what can i get you?" Youngbin replied, slipping into full customer service mode. 

"Iced Americano please, four shots" the guy replied, placing some crumpled bills on top of the counter. The guy has a faraway look in his eyes and an ear piece in one ear. Even though the coffee shop plays this instrumental jazz music as background, Youngbin can make out the beat of the song this guy was listening to and it was somewhat familiar.

"You should really lower the volume if you're going to use earphones," he said conversationally, hands busy preparing the man's drink. 

"Mmm."

The guy was drumming his fingers on the counter, long, slender fingers tapping out a rhythm. 

"Keith Ape!" Youngbin exclaimed just as he finished the guy's order. 

That got the guy's attention. "You know him? Good for you," he replied, picking up his drink and walking back to the table. 

"Wow, that's a little bit rude," Mina exclaimed stepping back beside him. 

He hummed in agreement while they continued to watch the guy. Instead of sitting down, he started to fix his stuff, sliding the laptop into his backpack and zipping it shut. With the drink in hand, he made his way towards the exit. 

"He didn't even touch the cake." Chulmin said, returning to the counter after clearing his table. "This is such a waste."

"Can i have it? I stumbled upon a stray the other day and it likes sweet stuff," Youngbin said.

"I guess it's fine. Better than throwing it out," the other guy said, sliding the plate towards him. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Youngbin looked the door behind him and strode towards the huge lump of blanket on the floor. 

"Yah! Wake up!" he said, poking the top of the blankets

"I am awake, stop it!" came the reply. 

"I bought cake," Youngbin said, setting the plastic bag beside the blankets. 

Dawon sat up immediately, his face lighting up in glee as he reached for the bag. Youngbin watched him for a few seconds before sitting on the couch. 

"Yah~ What's up? Is it your birthday?" Dawon asked before stuffing his face with the cake using his hands. 

Youngbin watched him devour half the cake before answering. "Aniyo. A customer left that cake in the cafe awhile ago."

"Yah! Yah!" 

Youngbin just laughed. "Don't worry. He didn't touch it, i swear. He didn't even touch the fork," he assured the other guy. "Besides, you already ate half of it so you'll be fine," 

"I swear to God, Kim Youngbin if i die or get some sort of disease, i'm gonna sue!" Dawon threatened. 

"How can you sue if you die? Yah, i can just throw your body in the dumpster if that happens," he countered. 

"You, you're unbelievable. I can't believe you saved me just so you could toy with me?! Wow~" Dawon said but still, the guy returned to eating the cake. 

"How are you feeling?" Youngbin asked after awhile. 

"Fine, i guess. Some parts of me still hurt but more than that, my beautiful face is bruised but all in all, i'm great," Dawon answered. "Thank you by the way. For taking me in and taking care of me," he continued.

"Don't you have a family or friends that will look for you?" 

"Hmmm, my parents go around a lot. I've lived in different countries for a few years when i was young. So to answer your question, my parents are currently in Europe, i thin. And friends? I don't know, I think i moved around a lot and didn't get to make solid friendships so that's that," he answered. 

Seeing Dawon talk about it like it's the most natural thing in the world made Youngbin a bit sad. Not that he would say it out loud though. By then, the rain has started to fall hard and the sound it makes when it hits the window is in some ways, relaxing.  

"But what do you do for a living though? Surely, you don't just rely on your parents?" 

"What is this, an interview or something?" Dawon retorted, laying on his back and watching the ceiling. The box which previously held the cake is now empty. 

"Of course not. What do you think of me. I have a job," he answered.

"Wait. Have? As in present tense have? As in you have a job right now? But you're in my living room almost recovered and eating cake?" Youngbin exclaimed. 

"God, keep your chill man. Yes, present tense have. I have a job but it's not like yours or any other job in the world. I deal with... sensitive stuff?" the younger guy answered thoughfully. 

Youngbin inhaled sharply, a thousand possibilities going through his mind. "Yah, it's not some shady stuff is it? 'Coz i swear i am going to hand you over to the police if it's drugs or some ," 

"What? no!" 

"Then what??"

"Hmmm, the most valuable thing in the world today?" Dawon answered. 

Youngbin sighed, shaking his head. "Ugh, fine. Okay, just look at me straight in the eyes and assure me that it isn't illegal, please?"

Dawon sat up once more and matched his stare. "I am not doing anything illegal. I am not dealing in drugs, or firearms or whatever it is you're talking about." he said, seriously. 

From the way Dawon said it, to the honesty in his eyes, Youngbin believed what the other man told him. Still, the question lingered in Youngbin's mind, what is the most valuable thing in the world today?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Three days later, Youngbin came home to a dark and silent apartment. He opened the lights hurriedly, thinking that Dawon has prepared some sort of surprise for him but the apartment was empty. The huge lump of blankets usually on the floor was folded neatly and on top was a simple note. 

Youngbin, 

Thank you for everything. I have overextended my stay. It was fun. I hope we meet again. 

Dawon. 

He took the note and slumped down on the couch. Dawon was loud and annoying and often does crazy stuff but having him in this apartment for the last five days have been fun. It was nice going home with someone there to greet you. Or someone you can actually talk to. Youngbin looked at the note once more before crumpling it. 

"Aish, this kid doesn't even know how to say goodbye properly," he muttered in the empty room. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ever since Chulmin's announcement that he's gonna return to school, the coffee shop has put up the sign for a new part time worker. The sign has been up for a week and so far, they haven't seen or heard of anyone who applied. 

"Youngbin-ah!" Mina greeted as soon as he entered. "Yah! Have you noticed the sign missing?" she asked, gesturing towards the windows. 

Youngbin looked back, "Oh, you're right! it's not there anymore," he said. 

"The new guy will be starting today," Chulmin said stepping out of the kitchen. 

"Today? Wow that's early," Mina exclaimed. 

"I promised our boss that i would train him well before i go. I'm just giving back you know," the young guy answered. 

"Fair enough. By the way, is it a girl or a boy?" Mina asked, prodding Chulmin. 

"I don't know actually. Boss just texted me awhile back that he has hired someone and that i should train him as soon as possible," he answered. 

MIna pouted at that, "I hope it's a girl!" she said. 

Youngbin excused himself at this point to change into their uniform. He heard the door to the cafe open just as he entered their locker room. 

As soon as he has changed, the first thing Youngbin noticed was Mina's disappointed face. 

"So i guess it's another guy?" he guessed. 

Mina nodded. "Oh well, i just hope me and him and all of us get along well," she said. 

Just then, the door to their boss's office opened. 

"Lee Dawon?!" Youngbin exclaimed, pointing at the guy that's standing behind their boss. 

"You know each other?! That's even better!" Their manager said, looking from one to the other. 

"Ne. We do know each other. Youngbin hyung is really like a brother to me, manager-nim," Dawon answered politely. 

Youngbin pulled his lips taut in some sort of a smile all the while shooting daggers at Dawon. The younger one just waved at him happily, the glint in his eyes exposing the truth that all this is not a coincidence.