VI - Brother

Neverland

Youngbin stepped inside his apartment and suddenly felt lightheaded. The walls seemed to press in on him - closer and closer- and so he scrunched his eyes shut, hands outstretched in front of him trying to find some kind of purchase. It didn't take long for his hands to find the small kitchen table and he grasped it, tightly, as if his very life depended on it. 

He can hear Dawon calling for him, the younger guy's voice sounding so far away and yet he felt another set of hands on his, easing him slowly into a chair. 

"Youngbin hyung... hyung...."

Youngbin directed all his attention on Dawon's voice, focused on the warmth of his touch. He didn't know how long he stayed that way but all throughout, Dawon's presence beside him a source of strength. 

"Are you okay, hyung? What happened?" Dawon asked. 

Youngbin shook his head slowly. "I just... this room suddenly reminded me of the one they..." 

Dawon nodded. "Would you like to stay with me for a few days?" he blurted out after a moment.

Youngbin cocked his head, a questioning look in his eyes. 

"I mean, like.. you know... trauma and all that... I just.. I think it's better..." the younger guy trailed off, eyes fixed on the floor. "Besides, I can help you find a new place.. somewhere bigger and more spacious than this,"

Youngbin smiled. "Yah, you know I can't afford that right now,"

"Look at you, acting like a poor person." Dawon chuckled. "You know you can always sell your stuff for a lot of money, right? Unless there's some sentimental value or something"

Youngbin sighed and gave the look a once-over. The off-white walls that he was once glad to come home to now feel different. The small bed tucked into one corner and even the chair he was sitting on felt different, strange. Flashes of his time in that prison, the thirst, the loneliness, he knew it was only for a few hours but it felt like days, weeks even. 

He closed his eyes, feeling the world start to turn again. "Fine, " he breathed. "I'll stay with you for awhile," 

It didn't take long for Youngbin to get all his stuff together- everything he owned managed to fit in his backpack and a medium sized luggage. 

Youngbin stepped out onto the street, spotting Dawon a few meters away from where a taxi was idling. The younger guy waved at him and then got into the passenger seat. Youngbin walked towards the vehicle, in seconds, they were pulling away from the building. Youngbin glanced back, one last look at the small space he called home for the last months. 

There was a gentle tap on his shoulders followed by a hushed tone. Youngbin blinked the sleep from his eyes and alighted the cab after a second. 

"Where are we?" Youngbin asked. The tall buildings seem oddly familiar, the way they were silhouetted against the sky. Upon closer look, he noticed that the people walking around are dressed to the nines. Youngbin's mind quickly went to the places he usually frequent during his days as an heir and -

"Cheongdamdong!"Dawon answered, effectively cutting out Youngbin's thoughts. "Come on, this way."

Dawon grabbed his luggage and walked towards one of the buildings. Youngbin followed suit. 

"I'm surprised... how?" Youngbin started as they got into the elevator.

"I told you I have a job and also, my parents paid half of the price, since they mostly travel and also a gift of sorts" he answered. 

"Anyway,they got me a huge apartment coz they do stay with me whenever they're here which is like 5 days tops every year and well, they already did visit me last month so you don't have to worry about them barging in on us" Dawon explained matter-of-factly. 

"Oh, okay," Youngbin said. "and really, thank you." 

Dawon merely hummed in reply. 

There was soft jazz music playing inside the elevator as Youngbin watched the numbers climb. After a few minutes, they alighted on the 32nd floor and Dawon led the way towards his place. 

Dawon's house was at the end of the hall and when they entered, the first thing that greeted them was a huge bay of windows showing the City in all it's glory. 

"This is amazing," Youngbin said approaching the windows. The sky was vibrant, the last of the sunlight turning half of it into a burning orange and the other a mix of purple and blue and with the rest of the city as a backdrop, it was breathtaking to say the least. 

"Come on, i'll show you to your room first," Dawon said breaking his thoughts. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three days in and it somehow felt like he was living with the other guy for years. There's just something about being around the other guy that Youngbin feels so comfortable with him. And he also found out that Dawon is sometimes a mess - no, erase that, he's always a mess - leaving a glass somewhere or a plate or his jacket or shirt strewn about. Sometimes, Youngbin won't nag him about it, as this is his home but other times, Youngbin just breaks and tells him off and Dawon would just smile at him or sometimes call him 'mom' but the other guy would instantly pick up after himself. 

It was weird in some ways but he was glad for the other's presence

Soon enough, he felt that he was ready to go back to work. Walking the streets still bring him some sort of anxiety at times but it's nothing he can't manage on his own. 

Mina hugged him tightly the morning he showed back up for work. Even Chulmin managed to drop by bringing him a small cake which they all shared.

A few weeks later and somehow, the incident was nothing more than a memory. He was still staying with Dawon but he has been starting to look for a somewhat decent place to live in, preferably somewhere near the coffee shop.  And following the younger guy's advice, Youngbin has sold most of his stuff with Dawon and Jaeyoon's help. 

 

When Chulmin had found out that he was looking for a place to stay, the guy said he knew of some places just a good distance from the coffee shop. 

Chulmin and he made plans to meet at the coffee shop that day and seeing as it's his day off, Youngbin decided to stroll around the area until the time they're supposed to meet approaches. It was out of habit that he used the back door when he entered the shop and much to his surprise, he saw Mina pressed up against the wall and peeking from behind the curtain. 

"What's wrong?" he asked causing her to jump. 

"Aish, I hate you! Can you please make some noise when coming in," she hissed. 

"Uhhhm, the door was noisy? didn't you hear it creak open?" 

"No! Come here!" Mina said gesturing for him to stay quiet and pulling him beside her. 

"What's there?"

Mina pulled him closer towards, "Dawon. I think he's having a problem with that customer," she answered gesturing towards the dining area. 

Mina stepped aside to let him see. She was right. Dawon's shoulders are tensed and he's standing a little bit straighter, his lips forming a thin line. But really, it was his eyes that spoke thousands - if looks could kill, the guy Dawon is facing should have been dead by now.  

"I should go see what's happening," Youngbin said. He's surprised to see this side of the man but at the same time, he can't let Dawon do that to a customer. 

"Yah,"Mina tried to grab a hold of him but he shrugged her off and went in. 

Dawon was so focused on the customer that he didn’t even realize Youngbin’s presence until he was almost beside him. 

“I’m sorry customer-nim." Youngbin said with a bow. "Please forgi-"

“Hyung,”

Youngbin straightened himself with a snap. That deep voice belongs to only one person. 

“Youngbin hyung! I have been looking for you. I-“

Youngbin held up a hand. “What are you doing here?” he asked, not bothering to hide the anger in his voice.

“Hyung, dad’s  be-“

“Dad?” Youngbin smirked. “So it's dad now, is it?”

The guy snapped his mouth shut and looked down, wringing his hands nervously in front of him. 

“I don't want to listen to you. You should leave. The exit's that way,” Youngbin said, gesturing towards the door.

The guy nodded but stood there for a few more seconds. 

"Leave," Youngbin repeated. He didn't need to raise his voice for that one word contained all the anger and hatred and all other emotion he has been bottling up about this entire situation and yet when the guy looked up at him and his expression was a pained one - as if Youngbin had shouted at him or hit him. 

That's good, he thought to himself as he watched the guy scurry out of the cafe. 

"Was that really necessary?" Dawon said breaking the heavy air that settled around them. 

Youngbin closed his eyes, "Yes," he answered through gritted teeth. He hands were clenched into fists and he can feel his nails digging into his palm. "Yes," he repeated. 

Dawon remained silent but the line of heat beside Youngbin told him that the other man had not left his side yet. 

“What were you doing?!” he barked suddenly, causing Dawon to flinch. 

“I was telling him to go away. That you wouldn’t like to see him or speak to him,”Dawon answered. 

“Wait, how do you know him?”

“The news. Remember how I knew about SF group announcing their future successor?" Dawon said.

Youngbin nodded. Dawon need not explain more. That public announcement turned his entire world upside down. In his mind's eyes, Youngbin can still recall how that entire day went down. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 months ago...

Youngbin straightened out his suit as he gave himself one last look in front of the mirror. 

"You can do this, Kim Youngbin," he muttered. "Fighting!" he smiled, noting how it somehow reaches his eyes. I'm getting good at this, he thought

Five floors down, the board of directors and executives of the SF Group are gathered. Aside from them, Youngbin knew that there were several members of the media present. This wasn't just a simple gathering, this was going to be his official debut in the business world. 

And after this, Youngbin knew that he has to start making his presence felt in the offices - maybe hold a key position or something. He wished that his father would assign him in one of their entertainment companies. Just the thought of it dispelled the nervousness that he felt as he made his way towards the hall. 

He entered the hall just as his father was called to the front. All attention was on the man in front. Youngbin decided to stay at the back, preferring to hide in the shadows until such time as his father calls him on stage. His father started with the usual greetings, mentioning key persons here and there and also updating everyone of what's happening in the company much to the applause of the people. 

"And one last thing before we all enjoy the night, I want to introduce to all of you a very special person." The whispers started and some people were starting to crane their necks above the crowd, looking for him surely. 

Youngbin ran his hands over his suit once more and patted his hair. This is it, he told himself. Keep calm, Youngbin. You can do this!

"I would like to introduce to you, the future successor of SF Group, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome, my son, Chani,"