III- More Questions

Neverland

The backdoor swung open and Mina was about to give them an earful about leaving her alone when she saw a red haired stranger coming in with the other two. Youngbin led the way towards the locker room and Mina noticed how Dawon was leaning a bit on the stranger as they rushed in. 

She stood frozen for a moment and was about to rush in and help when the red haired stranger stepped out of the room. She flattened herself on the wall near the door as it was was pushed wide open, the stranger hurrying to get out with a worried look on his face. He dashed off mumbling something to himself and taking no notice of Mina. 

"Yah, what was that all about?" Mina asked, entering the locker room.

"Dawon got into a fight... i think?" Youngbin answered fixing his gaze on the younger man. 

"Huh, i didn't expect you to be that type, Dawon-ah," Mina answered. "Are you okay though? Are you hurt somewhere?" she continued, checking to see if he has any injuries. 

Dawon waved his hands, "I'm fine, i'm fine. Don't need to make a fuss out of it. He just pushed me into the wall, that's about it," he answered. 

That resulted into Mina going off about leaving her alone in the cafe all the while asking if Dawon was okay. All through out the exchange, Youngbin was just studying Dawon's face, looking for a hint that he's feeling some sort of pain. 

"Stop staring at me!" Dawon exclaimed after Mina stormed off somewhere to clear her head. 

"What happened back there?" Youngbin asked softly. 

"Nothing. I just asked him something and then we talked and then he pushed me," Dawon answered not meeting Youngbin's stare. "I'm going to man the counter," he suddenly standing up and shuffling towards the front. Youngbin just nodded, his mind filling up on theories and not liking any one of them. 


 

"Will you please just talk to each other and return to being boyfriends right now?" Mina said, stomping forcefully beside Youngbin.

The last three days had been pretty awkward between all of them. Dawon would always make up some sort of excuse whenever Youngbin enters the same room as him and it's starting to take it's toll on Mina as she suddenly became their 'bridge'. 

"It's not my fault, you know. He's the one who's avoiding me all this time," Youngbin answered. He held the door open as Mina stepped inside. 

"Well you have to try harder!" she exclaimed. "Ple-"

Youngbin placed a hand on and she had half a mind to bite him when she heard the voices. Her eyes widened in surprise, understanding the situation. 

He removed his hand from . 

"Stay outside," he whispered, pushing her towards the door. 

She shook her head. "I won't. I'll be able to help you," she answered confidently, making a grab for her shoulder bag. Youngbin's eyes flashed with annoyance but the sounds of cutlery and talking pushed that away from his head. 

"Stay behind me then," Youngbin said quietly as he tiptoed towards the counter. 

Half the lights in the dining area were opened giving Youngbin a clear view of the space. He sighed in relief, spotting Dawon standing beside one of the tables and apparently talking to a guy wearing a black hoodie. 

"Lee Dawon!"

Youngbin jumped, forgetting that Mina was behind him all this time. She pushed her little frame in front and strode towards the other guy. 

"Yah, we thought there was a burglar in here!" she exclaimed. 

"Ah, sorry. It's just that, Jaeyoon hyung visited me and i thought it would be rude to send him away immediately after he helped me and checked up on me and i gave him a cake," Dawon answered in one breath. "Don't worry, you can take this out on my salary," he added seeing the shocked look on Mina's face. 

Jaeyoon was standing beside Dawon now, his hood pulled down revealing his bright red hair. Youngbin approached the group and couldn't help but smile when Jaeyoon noticed him. 

"Oh, it's you! hi!" Jaeyoon exclaimed cheerfully.

"Hello, Lee Jaeyoon, right?" Youngbin said, extending his right hand. 

The other man took his hand. "Yup. I'm glad you remembered my name despite our unfortunate meeting," he said. 

Jaeyoon's handshake was firm, the sign of a good business man, as his father always reminded him. Youngbin cursed himself internally, all the while keeping the smile on his face. 

That isn't my life now, he reminded himself. 

"So, how are you?" he asked Jaeyoon without missing a beat.

"Oh, you know. I was just visiting to see how this guy's doing," Jaeyoon answered gesturing towards Dawon. "It looks like he's okay so i'm really happy,"

Dawon and Youngbin's eyes met and Dawon immediately looked down and excused himself. Mina followed him, leaving the two to talk alone. 

"I'm really thankful that you were there that day," Youngbin started. 

"It's nothing really. I was in the right place at the right time i guess," Jaeyoon answered. "Oh, is that the time?!" he exclaimed eyes fixed on the huge clock by the counter. 

"Yah. I should go. I'll be late. It was glad seeing you two and maybe we can hang out next time," Jaeyoon said once again rushing towards the door. 

Youngbin heard him say a hasty goodbye to Mina and to Dawon and then the sound of the door opening and closing. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was another slow day at the cafe and the long bouts of silence was about to drive Mina crazy. Today is somewhat of an improvement though compared to the last few days. Dawon finally managed to stay in the same room as Youngbin although he still can't look at the other man. There was only one way to settle this once and for all and Mina knows exactly what to do. 

"Yah, i'm going out for awhile. You two take care of things here!" she said loud enough for the other two to hear. 

She made a show of getting her things and walking out of the cafe, hoping against hope that by the time she returns, the two have already made amends.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Typical Mina," Youngbin muttered as the door closed behind her, leaving the two of them alone. There was faint music playing from the speakers hidden around the cafe but even that was not enough to break the awkward silence. Dawon has just finished mopping the floor when Mina went out and now, he was wiping the mugs and glasses on the counter. 

Well, here i go. Youngbin thought as he made his way towards the other man. 

Dawon did not look up from his task when Youngbin stepped in front of him, the wooden counter in between them. 

"Dawon-ah," Youngbin started but still, Dawon didn't stop what he was doing nor acknowledge his presence. 

"I won't ask you about that incident again. I won't ask you about that person again. Just... i just want to know if something's wrong or if it's something i should be worried about.." he continued. 

"I know him," Dawon sighed, eyes glued to the counter. Youngbin kept silent though his eyes betray a lot of questions. 

"I've... worked with him before, i guess?" the younger man started. "But we were on opposite sides of the deal back then so it wasn't really that pretty. We talked but it was purely business."

"And then?" Youngbin prodded.

"And then, we finished our tasks and went our separate ways and didn't see each other anymore.. until that incident," Dawon continued. 

Youngbin nodded. "Well, thank you for telling me that," he said when Dawon didn't add anything else. 

"I"m sorry... it's just.. i was surprised to him... i acted rashly..."

"Yah, It's fine.. it's okay," Youngbin said patting him on the shoulder. 

"I'm really sorry hyung," Dawon said finally meeting his eyes. Youngbin can see the sincerity in that gaze so he smiled and said that it's okay. 

"I swear i won't ask you about it again... " Youngbin added which Dawon answered with a huge smile before skipping happily back to the room. 


 

Mina has been circling the block for almost an hour now, wondering if it's okay to go back to the coffee shop now. Having made up her mind, she walked towards the shop but suddenly stopped short in front of the building. A hundred scenarios was floating in her head from them making up and being friends again to them violently settling it...

"Aish, Kwon Mina stop it," she said, shaking her head. 

Mina took a deep breath before pushing open the door, her eyes closed as he stepped inside in case she sees something unpleasant.

What welcomed her was laughter and so she rushed and saw Dawon and Youngbin at the counter, laughing over something Dawon was showing to the older guy on his phone. 

"Finally," Mina breathed, a huge smile playing on her lips. 


 

"See you tomorrow hyung!" Dawon said happily as they parted ways. 

"Ne. see you," Youngbin replied with a wave. 

He watched as Dawon's figure got lost in the sea of people. A thousand thoughts ran through his head. Was it right to reveal himself so easily to a man he just met in an alley? Dawon's answers about the fox posed a whole other set of questions that Youngbin needs answers to. 

"Was i right to trust him?" he muttered, a wave of disappointment and worry suddenly washing over him.