Chapter 6: Hidden Secrets

Three Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fixing his Canon Vixia Mini attached to the dashboard, Seokjin tried to balance conflicting thoughts. He had to film his near future actions or no one would believe him; yet would anyone believe him anyway? Heck, no one believed Jacob was in danger which ultimately led to his cold-blooded murder. The whole darn city still thinks Jacob committed suicide. These days, money buys everything including the truth. 

He pressed record. “Monday 26th March; a few minutes before 8 pm.”

The sun had set as street lights were lit. His heart pounded as he turned the camera to film the yellow police ‘do not cross’ tapes.

There was no one here save one empty police car parked opposite.

“Kim Seokjin speaking; trainee clinical psychologist,” sighing heavily, “in a few moments I will enter Busan children’s hospital. Although it is a private hospital, I have strong reason to believe its being used as an asylum for children with special abilities or defects, I - I’m not too sure yet.”

Looking up, the police officer had returned. He squinted in Seokjin’s direction to which said boy slumped down, concealing his presence.

As expected, the officer drove off.

Turning back to the camera, “I will now attempt to access the hospital’s basement.”

Pocketing the mini cam and a flashlight, Seokjin craned his head up to the hospital’s third floor. The broken window; from which the nurse fell to her death, had wooden boards plastered thickly across. Approaching the main gates, he swiped his pass. Moving carefully, the boy entered a six digit code before entrance doors slid open automatically.

The reception was empty as visiting hours were long over. The only sound were his shoes lightly clacking against the sleek floor.

Looking around, he located a staircase in the far end corner. It was made of stone, had grubby walls and was seldom used. Whilst walking down the steep steps with his body plastered to the banister, Seokjin looked up to trace any CCTV cameras but there weren’t any he could find.

A black grill blocked his vision of the basement as he shook it angrily. To his surprise it was flimsy and opened easily, but with a loud sound. Biting his plump lower lip, the boy froze to hear if anyone was approaching - but no one came.

Some moments passed before he checked the coast was clear and began searching.

Sighing, he realised this was stupid. His entire theory was stupid. Supplies scattered the basement messily - spare bed frames and blankets, electronic devices, cleaning supplies and a janitor closet. Shaking his head, Seokjin was about to turn back when his sharp eye caught the sight of a frame. Pushing aside tall, empty IV bag stands  and rolling away heavy blood pressure monitors; the boy’s mouth dropped open.

There it was. 

The door.

"Be careful when you find it, he is always watching you," Seokjin murmured verbatim. It was a warning written in capital letters across each paper in Jacob's files. 

The door was dull grey with rust creeping up its corners.

Taking out his camera, he quickly checked behind him before pushing record.

“I am currently in the basement, moved these machines away,” stretching out a hand to point at the equipment, “and found this door.”

Grasping the cold doorknob, he turned it, but it was locked.

“!” He loudly whispered.

Pocketing the camera, he frantically searched for a key on the floor, in the janitor’s closet and crawled on all fours peering under machines. Slumping on a cardboard box, Seokjin paused to think as anger flooded him. He was so close to finding out the truth. So damn close.

And that’s when it hit him like a meteor.

Closing his eyes, he tried to remember another crucial bit of information he uncovered in Jacob’s files.

“...They’ve hidden it well. I created a duplicate key. If you’re tall like me, you can reach it...” Jin regurgitated. Opening his eyes, he assessed the door frame.

Brushing his veiny hands on the edges, he only pinched at dust. Gulping; he looked up and slowly lifted his right hand to scrape the top. Sure enough, his fingers felt ridges of a key.

Heart rapidly pumping with his mind racing, Jin began to film the key and the process of opening the door. It was old and difficult to turn, but sure enough it clicked.

“This - this is it,” he whispered whilst turning the doorknob as it opened with an eerie creak.

Seokjin was excited, yet terrified as he stepped beyond the scene. This was what he'd spent countless months working towards, what he's been unravelling these past few days. He regrets not being more prepared, he should've at least brought a weapon.

The boy found himself inside a spacious tunnel far bigger than he conceived as his flashlight shone off dusty brick walls.

Following the tunnel seemed to take eons as he had a more than solid hunch where it would lead him.

Sweating profusely, each step he took was drowned by the beating sounds of his heart. But when the tunnel finally ended, the young boy found another door.  

Turning off his flashlight, he pressed his ear to the door.

There was no sound.

The darkness was enveloping his eyes, making his hearing stronger. When Jin was confident there could be no one else lurking or hiding, he clicked his clammy flashlight on.

He sluggishly extended his shaking hand to the doorknob before turning it quietly. It opened with a slight friction, but was much easier than anticipated.

What hit first was a horrific pungent smell, enough to make the grim reaper puke.

The stench was forgotten as Jin's eyes raked in the dreadful sight.

The area looked like an expired hell. Mounds of blackish grey ash cloaked what must have once been the whites of floors and walls. Shining the flashlight upwards, he was met with another storey that was also blackened and crumbling. Swallowing a dry lump at the back of his throat, Seokjin knew this was the infamous Park mansion.

Stepping inside the ruins, he dazzled his light everywhere, but found no windows. Instead, he found the largest door right at the top which had no traces of being burnt, it was solidly standing shut.

Treading carefully across the expansive room, there were items littered everywhere. Dirty white tunics, shattered cameras, ashes of paper, burnt drawers and cabinets...

And remains of bodies.

“Lord have mercy...” he let out softly.

The bodies were charcoal, but they were very small.

The shape of little children. 

 Chin trembling, Seokjin felt an insidious presence, one which made him want to wail with despair and sadness. Depression was shrouding his existence, before he took deep breaths and toddled further.

The place was crumbling as oxygen was hitting it.

Seokjin knew he had to leave. Hands wavering viciously, he finally managed to pull his pocket camera out and film the scene with green night mode.

This place was a nightmare, something which existed only in horror films.

Entering the abyss further; Seokjin found burnt dolls, melted crayons and scorched bed frames. Just when he was about to turn back, he located the frail stairs leading up. It was way too dangerous to venture there so he stopped outside an empty room.

It was a huge one, the hospital-white theme peeking fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter