Chapter 1: Brothers?

Three Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is this because of my brother? I’ve told him so many times, but he just doesn’t like you. What am I supposed to do?”

Taehyung furrowed his brows before laughing. Staring at her expression of pretend distress, the boy brushed a hand through his temporarily dyed orange hair.

“It’s not because of your brother, Irene. It’s us. We just don’t click anymore...it was better when we were only friends, right?”

They were sitting on a bench facing Busan’s Dadaepo beach where children, teens and parents were enjoying the late afternoon sunshine.

Nodding, Irene was glad she didn’t mention breaking up first. She liked Taehyung, but her older brother hated him. They would always physically fight at lunch and leave her to choose which one she preferred. Besides, she couldn’t handle the party animal known as her boyfriend; for the whole school knows he can easily fall for boys as much as girls when he’s drunk.

“I understand,” she smiled and met Taehyung’s beautiful brown orbs. People said they were the visuals of Busan and were meant to be, but faces and hearts never match.

“Will you get home okay?” The boy sweetly questioned, taking her hand a final time.

Smiling, “Yes. I’ll stay here and wait for Yeri.”

Taehyung stood up, “Okay, see you then. Take care Irene.”

Walking away, it would be a lie if the orange haired boy was upset. They’d been the trophy couple for several months now and he couldn’t take the fights and fake love anymore. He has nothing against Irene, she showed him new things for which he’d forever be grateful - it’s just his thirst for true love will never be quenched.

it; parties and alcohol always make things better.

 

A similar conversation was being held at the other side of the seashore.

“What do you mean can’t be together anymore?”

Setting her pretty pink lips in a line, “Sorry Jungkook. I just don’t think you can give me the love I need.”

The dark haired boy closed his eyes briefly, cheeks blushing furiously. He doesn’t know what to say, these things are always so awkward to discuss. He knows she’s referring to their failed attempts at having and just about managing to kiss for more than five seconds.

Just before he was about to mutter something, Yeri huffed and stood up, “This is what I mean. I feel like the boy in this relationship.”

Emulating her standing, “But I like you Yeri.”

“Liking just isn’t enough. I like the Busan air, but that doesn’t mean it will be mine. If i want it, I need to put in effort; you understand what I mean, don’t you?” She tried to explain without getting teary eyed. She’s always crushed over Jungkook and is sad to be the one to call it quits.

Jungkook gulped, he likes Yeri too. But she’s always hovering around other guys, not to mention ignoring his protests when the seniors give her unnecessary gifts. And most importantly, he just doesn’t feel a spark upon seeing her.

“I - I’m sorry for being a bad boyfriend,” he professed whilst kicking a pebble.

Yeri frowned; he was even looking down now, rather than in her eyes.

“It’s okay, I’m to blame too,” she sighed, “I’ll go first. See you around, take care.”

Jungkook nodded and watched her figure move away from him slowly. Taking in a deep breath of salty sea air, a sudden weight removed itself off his chest.

He smiles a small smile and turns to grab his rucksack when a hand roughly slaps the middle of his back.

“Ya punk! You let her go?”

It was Taehyung, of course it was.

They walked in silence, out of the beach and down the main road until they reached their house. Neither said a word, but strange enough, it wasn’t awkward. It was just an understood thing between the two stepbrothers.

Jungkook secretly smiled. He loves the comfortable silences where you walk alongside someone you like, someone who can protect you, rather than them relying on you for direction. Where neither feels the need to say anything, but can shut the up with ease. He wouldn’t admit it, but walking home with notorious rebel Kim Taehyung made his heart full with unexplainable warmth.

Shaking his fluffy hair, this feeling was because of the breakup with Yeri.

 

That’s all.

 

Once home, they took their shoes off and greeted their respective parents. Jungkook’s mum married Taehyung’s dad seven months ago and initially neither boys got along, but all that changed when they bonded over drinks for both had a habit of letting their guard down when drunk. So here they are in the lounge, just having finished dinner and watching a comedy show together.

Just as he was yawning, Jungkook’s nine year old sister jumped on the couch beside him and stared with her huge, pretty eyes - an exact replica of the boy’s.

“Which princess are you today then?” He beamed, only can he ever talk to one girl without feeling shy.

Jisoo flashed her missing baby teeth, “Princess Aurora. I’m going to miss you,” she pouted sadly.

Jungkook brushed a large hand through her long black hair, “Why’s that?”

Taehyung glanced over before continuing his online shopping.

“Mum, where’s Jisoo going?” Jungkook questioned whilst his sister’s soft cheek.

Hyemin, a petite woman jostled in, “Jisoo did you finish saying goodbye?” The girl nodded before Hyemin continued, “She’s going back to her private school. Taehyung,” she addressed the boy currently too busy browsing for the latest style, “Your father and I are going for two days, look after your younger brother please.”

The older boy nodded once.

“Hurry up Hyemin; we need to visit the bank for that loan!” Taehyung’s father shouted from the porch.

Hyemin looked offended as she shouted back, “I thought we agreed no financial discussions in front of the kids! We-”

Just then, the orange haired boy instantly jumped up, yanking Jisoo’s hand with him. Ignoring Jungkook and Hyemin's eyes, he approached his father.

“Have you ever asked her what she wants? Ya Jisoo-ah, do you want to go to a private school all the way in Seoul?” He leant down to her height.

The little girl stared at her step-brother with warmth. She's grown to love him as much as she does Jungkook. Shaking her head, “Not really but it’s better for me. Mum and Dad know best.”

The parents smiled proudly at her, especially Taejin, Taehyung’s dad. He was happy she accepted him as her father.

Sternly glancing up at his son, “Learn a thing or two about obedience from a nine year old,” he paused and analysed his son’s rebellious appearance, “Dammit, when did you get those new piercings? Ya, forget that; when I come back, I want your hair back to normal! Understand?!”

The boy’s saucer eyes widened sadly for these days, Taejin takes all frustration out on his son. Taehyung was known as a rich kid back in Daegu, with both his divorced parents spoiling him silly; but ever since they moved to Busan so Hyemin didn’t have to leave, their financial situation lopsided and Taejin had to work extra shifts as a cook when he owned three seafood restaurants in Daegu. The sudden change smashed Taehyung's ego into smithereens. 

He never spoke to anyone and locked himself away in his room. He was so cold to Jungkook for so long and even Jisoo was frightened of her new brother.

But when he rescued the younger boy against some disgusting seniors who wanted to have their way with a pretty lad that couldn’t protect himself, the brothers’ friendship bloomed. Taehyung opened up to his new family, but that didn’t last long either. Their parents were constantly struggling to repay the mortgage so they all moved downtown. Jisoo stays in Seoul with her grandparents and Hyemin and Taejin are always working.

So Jungkook and Taehyung are usually left alone. Taehyung got a part time job to fund his addiction for partying and Jungkook almost always gets a call to collect his wasted brother.

This has been their predicament for the past month now.

“Worry about yourself Dad. Have a good trip to Seoul, bye Hyemin. Take care Princess Aurora!” Taehyung turned away with annoyance as Hyemin was whispering for her husband to calm down. Trying to fuse the heat, she zipped up Jisoo’s coat as Jungkook had come to say goodbye.

“He’s getting too rebellious Hyemin.”

“Boys will be boys, he’ll grow out of it.”

“That better be the case, I’ve been too lenient on him and his phases.”

“Let's go,” Not wanting to hear anymore, Taehyung pushed Jungkook’s frame back inside the lounge so he didn’t have a chance to bid farewell as the front door slammed shut.

Lying back down on the couch, the orange haired boy sighed and closed his eyes. Jungkook rounded his moon eyes at the sight of a vexed Taehyung.

“Am I that beautiful?”

Flustered, Jungkook averted his gaze, “No I was just-”

Opening his eyes, Taehyung assessed his younger brother by a year, “Why are you standing? Sit down,” sweeping the tip of his straight nose, “We’ve never spoken like this before have we?”

Confused, “Like what?” Jungkook kept his eyes glued to the TV as he knew what the ruffling sound was.

“My face is here Jungkook. We’ve never spoken about life in general, you know, like our purpose or future,” he paused to straighten a line of white powder on the coffee table.

Jungkook furrowed his brows and wishes the older didn’t rely on for comfort.

“Taehyung, please stop that.”

Said boy chuckled teasingly, “Why do you care?”

“Look I know Irene upset you and so did your Dad, but you’re still underage. You’re only sixteen, you can’t be taking drugs! Nor can you drink for that matter, it’s against the law.”

“Ha,” Taehyung tilted his head and inhaled the drug with a loud groan as Jungkook fiddled with his shirt, “Do you want to be a cop? Are you going to arrest me?” He finished with an airy tone, one sounding almost flirtatious.

Gulping, an odd feeling drenched the pit of the younger’s belly as he continued fumbling with the hem of his shirt. 

“I’m going to bed, y-you need to fix up or else I’m going to tell your dad,” he threatened without meaning. But he was still sitting down, as though the older should say something to stop him.

Taehyung can read people so easily, it’s a gift he has. But reading Jungkook was very difficult, for the younger keeps all feelings bottled inside him. That's why the older feels the need to look him in the eyes, Jungkook's doe eyes always give everything away. It was almost as though the younger knew it, for he never looked at anyone for too long, let alone Kim Taehyung. 

“Jungkook, if you ever take drugs or even get drunk without my permission, I’d never let you out of this house again,” he warned.

The younger noticeably stiffened at the thought. But just before he could challenge the older, Taehyung’s phone rang.

Continuing to watch Jungkook with twinkling pupils, he laughed, “Ma homie Hobi!”

A small smile crept on the younger’s pink lips. Taehyung’s giggle was deep but had an attractive melody to it.

“Beach party?! Where? Now?”

Jungkook looked up.

“Oh ...well just in time...yeah our folks just left! Okay, I’m coming...n-no not that high, only half a line bro,” Taehyung darted his eyes to Jungkook, “And I’m bringing someone else too. No no, not like that. Okay, text me the address now. See you.”

He cut the call and flicked his eyebrows up, “Get ready Kookie, time to party.”

Jungkook was confused, only moments ago the orange haired boy was acting moody and now the sound of a party brightened his spirits. It made him think, if the older had someone to care for him and drive away his loneliness; maybe he’d sober up and care about his life.

Jungkook shook his head, trying to discard the irrational thoughts. He’s not some caretaker; Taehyung’s old enough to know what’s good for him.

“I can’t go, I have to complete my homework. You have fun.”

“Are you serious right now? There’s a limit to being such a bro,” Taehyung teased whilst assessing Jungkook’s features. The boy grows a little every day and staring at him was like smiling at a fine painting.

“You go, I’ll be fine,” he stood up, “Whose is it anyway?”

A box grin from ear to ear, that’s all Taehyung needed to hear.

 

And so they found themselves drinking and getting wasted. Well, Taehyung took five shots already and Jungkook was mingling awkwardly with a boy called Hoseok who was in his dance class. Not only was he the best dancer and could flaunt any move to perfection, but his smile had the ability to brighten any rainy day.

Over the music, Jungkook and Hoseok were sipping on their cocktails whilst watching senior students jumping off a high board into a huge pool, surrounded with half girls and muscly guys grooving to 80s tunes. This was his first senior party, courtesy of Taehyung's influence - was what Taejin would have to say. 

“Surprised to see you here Jungkook, did you finally learn how to have fun?” Hoseok teased.

Keeping his eyes focused on a tipsy Taehyung who was now surrounded by seniors laughing and pulling him to jump off the high board, “Taehyung dragged me here. Besides, this isn’t my type of thing.”

Hoseok laughed loudly and soon enough, everyone’s attention was on Taehyung. He was drunk and giggly as people were chanting for him to jump off. Placing his cup down and sensing danger, Jungkook stepped forward and pushed through students until he was by the poolside.

But his care was mistaken for competition as the handsome blonde haired senior who owned the crib raised Jungkook’s arm up high, “Hey! Look at this kid, don’t you all think he could make a bigger splash than our Kim up there?!”

Gulping, “No Jackson - I can’t...”

“Nonsense! Get him up there!” And he pushed Jungkook forward before slapping his firm from behind. The shy boy turned around in shock, but the senior just winked and stuck out a tongue, tensing his pectoral muscles and pulling a nearby girl into his chest.

“Go on Kookie!” Hoseok called out with some frie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter