Chapter 3: Welcome Jimin

Three Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing which hit the two boys was Hyemin’s cooking. Beef brisket was definitely on the menu and considering their financial situation, Taehyung thought it was a daftly tasty meat to grill.

“Jungkookie, Taehyungie!”     

Jisoo ran down the hallway and engulfed both boys in her small arms as Jungkook bent down to kiss her cheek before Taehyung swooped her off the ground. These days, his mood has been swinging from irritable to happy to majorly pissed with the person closest to him on the receiving end of his emotions.

“And where has Princess Aurora’s front tooth gone?” He put on a high pitched voice as Jisoo was playing with his orange locks.

She was in a pretty pink dress with a matching tiara.

“The tooth fairy will collect it tonight!” She replied, her natural double lid creasing as she smiled. Taehyung couldn’t stop giggling as his eyes traced how angelic his sister was. And whilst Jungkook is his step-brother; the older will forever consider Jisoo to be his baby sister.

Much like his own daughter rather.

“Ya, don’t give the tooth to her! That means you’ll have to grow up!” He whined whilst brushing his straight nose bridge against Jisoo’s small one. She pulled a funny face before Taehyung patted her silky hair down but never allowed her to leave his arms.

Meanwhile, Jungkook was peering around corners carefully, before he stumbled across his petite mother.

“Jimin is with Taejin, shopping for some essentials. They’ll be here any minute,” she was on a step ladder, pinning up balloons, “Taehyung! Freshen up and help me with dinner!” Turning back to Jungkook, “You too. Hurry up.”

But the round eyed boy wasn’t budging, “Why didn’t you tell me before?” He slapped the side of his legs.

Hyemin sighed and jumped off the ladder, “Because you’d ask too many questions. This isn’t the first time you’ll have to adjust to a new brother. Besides, your grades have dropped lately. Jimin will be a good influence.”

Clamping his jaw, “So Taehyung isn’t? You love his dad but hate his son?”

Hyemin shot venom, “Don’t put words in my mouth, of course I don’t hate Taehyung,” she whispered aggressively, “He’s just different to you. Jimin will help you reach your potential.”

“So then why-”

“End of discussion! Now get changed and wash your face!” She snapped and stomped off in the kitchen.

Jungkook blushed red, “Argh! Why are you all so annoying! Why do I even live here?!” He shouted. Jisoo and Taehyung both turned their heads in surprise.

Running to the staircase, he locked eyes with Taehyung momentarily. There it was again. The softness in those beautiful saucers, the kindness in his brown wisps.

But the dark haired boy was tired. He was tired of feeling so many things and forever being alone.

And so he marched past the two, ignored their stares and opened the front door before slamming it behind him. He didn’t want to cry in front of anyone because he isn’t weak, he’s just overwhelmed. The street came to its end before Jungkook ran as fast as he could, going into the direction every kid in the neighbourhood goes when upset.

The old ground.

Everything stopped for Taehyung. Jisoo’s voice was distant and Hyemin’s calls for her son were merely a buzz. The only thing he could see were Jungkook’s doe eyes and his innocent expression before he heard the crash of a front door and his friend was gone.

Letting Jisoo down, the orange haired boy’s heart was exploding. He has to protect the younger because that’s his brother. That’s all.

*

Jungkook must’ve dozed off because his eyes opened to darkness. The sun had set long ago and although the abandoned cycling ground was empty, Jungkook heard conversation and felt eyes pinned on him.

“How does he know about this place?” Hoseok asked before passing the football to Taehyung. But the ball rolled away for the fifth time.

Keeping his eyes shut, Jungkook was internally screaming in embarrassment. He’d had one of his tantrums and walked out only for Taehyung to follow him. If that wasn’t enough, Hoseok; the other school stud was witnessing the younger at his most vulnerable.

And they weren’t even waking him up; they were simply waiting for him to move so they could laugh. That’s all I am - a laughing stock; Jungkook thought as he kept his eyes tightly closed.

The old ground lights had now ; shining a dim yellow on the scene for no one maintained or changed its bulbs. Dark green moss was curled up every wall, colourful graffiti decorated the attached cycling ramp and the once small fountain was dry of all water; lying as an empty dome for troubled youths to coil in when feeling detached.

As Hoseok was talking to Taehyung, the latter gave the odd smile and word of conversation; but his mind and eyes were both glued on Jungkook who was determined to stay stationary. Said boy had one arm over his eyes and legs crossed over but was lying flat on his back in the middle of a patch of untamed grass.

Some time drifted like this before a wide shouldered figure approached them. He was a handsome boy, maybe the most good looking in the area. Older than them by a few years, it was Seokjin; their next door neighbour. Whilst Taehyung and Jungkook live in the same home, Hoseok lives opposite them and this handsome guy next door.

When Taehyung first came to Busan, Seokjin was the first boy who gave a listening ear and words of advice the younger remembers till date.

Fixing his round framed glasses (adding to his nerd-like gorgeous demeanour), he stared from a lump called Jungkook to Hoseok kicking a ball and finally to the school rebel with flames for hair, Kim Taehyung. He tutted, "Orange? Really?"

Taehyung sniggered, "Does it suit me?"  

Ignoring the question, "Wash it out or don't come to mine," he threatened without hostility. 

Taehyung scowled and kicked the ball hard so it missed Jungkook by a fraction. The boy moved his arm and threw the ball back harder than it came, hitting Taehyung in the stomach. 

Hoseok laughed as Seokjin raised his brows, “I knew you three would be lurking here,” his voice was soft and deep like a parent, “Your mother wants you home now Jungkook. Tae, so does your dad. Apparently Park Jimin is here - whoever the hell that is. You too Hobi, go home. These streets aren’t safe anymore,” he added mystifyingly.

Jungkook instantly sat up at the chilly advice. These streets were his home since he opened his eyes. 

Hoseok’s eyes rounded, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Don’t you guys read the news? Ya Jungkookie do you remember Jacob?” Seokjin addressed the boy nonchalantly. Taehyung turned to the younger and saw his eyes were swollen.

Jungkook gulped, “Yeah...what about him?” His voice was small. Oblivious to the two seniors, Jacob was Jungkook's counsellor when he had trouble speaking. Seokjin knew this information because he used to work part-time in the office as a trainee. 

“Who the hell is Jacob?!” Hoseok pestered. 

Taehyung could feel Jungkook’s awkwardness for miles, “I don't care who he is. What happened to him?”

A cold breeze fluttered past them. It was the most unpredictable winter Korea had seen in years. In Seoul, snow blizzards were draping every corner, but in Busan, days were warm and nights were ing freezing.

Seokjin sighed, “Three months ago, he left Busan for Seoul. A new job opened up and he was raking the cash in. But then, his wife filed a report to the police. No one could find him, there was no trace of him anywhere. Closing the case, he was labelled under missing persons. However," he scanned Jungkook particularly, "...only a week ago, they found him washed up on Gimpo docks. He was shot - killed."

Jungkook's mouth hung open. Taehyung's eyes were wider than the globe and Hoseok was looking to everyone in panic.

"...So all of you get the hell home now,” Seokjin added authoritatively, "Unless you fancy swimming with fish."

Hoseok broke the silence that ensued by booting the football to Seokjin as it hit his backside hard, "That was such a lame joke!" 

“YA! Jung Hoseok!” Seokjin yelled, but soon after responded quite childishly. Picking the ball up, he slowly revolved it around his fingers. Being unable to hold his laughter in, he approached the troublesome boy and flung it as hard as he could. 

As they were roaring with laughter and throwing the ball at each other, Jungkook and Taehyung were left trailing behind as usual.

Taehyung didn’t want to engage in deep conversation after what they just heard, especially as he knew Jungkook was somewhat close to this dead guy Jacob. So instead, he stopped walking and let the younger carry on a few steps ahead before doing a small run up and jumping on his back.

Jungkook’s reflex was instant as he buckled forward before balancing the skinnier boy.

“Taehyung, what the hell?!” He coughed, arms wrapped around said boy’s calves.

Grinning a box shaped smile, the orange haired boy wanted nothing more than to make Jungkook happy. Even a little. Because if the younger is smiling, he has no time to be lost in his thoughts. His thoughts which no one can ever understand. Rather than understanding, Taehyung wants the younger to forget. Forget about everything remotely troublesome, and live life as a teenager. 

Life is beautiful and Jungkook needs to know that. 

Taehyung wants Jungkook to realise how precious he really is.

“Ya, I don’t believe for a second that you hit gym three times a week!”

He was curled like a koala bear on a thick palm tree. 

“I do," he snapped. 

“You don’t,” Taehyung replied, arms gripped stronger around the younger’s neck.

Hobi and Seokjin were now playing football in the quiet street, lighting it up with merry joy.

Jungkook twinkled, “Don’t challenge me Tae. I can easily bench you.”

“No ones talking about benching, dumb . I bet-”

And not a second went past after hearing the word ‘bet’ that Jungkook clasped Taehyung’s legs and sprinted with him nearly flying off. Sweating and eyebrows creased, he was determined to catch up to Hoseok and Seokjin.

“Woahhh! Hahahaha! This is what I’m talking about!” Taehyung chortled as the two boys playing football paused to stare at the scene.

“Hobi, come to ours for dinner! You too Jin hyung!” Jungkook grinned as he dropped the older at the front of their house.

All four boys were n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter