Chapter Four

Tell Me Why

 Chapter Four


Ha Dong-hoon and Seohyun sat quietly as they listen to Jo Hyo Jin PD.

“Do you guys have any questions?”

Seohyun raised her hand, “So you’re telling me our mission will be complete if we remain as a couple in the end?

“Yes. But the members shouldn’t know that you two are spies and a couple.” The PD answered

Seohyun places her hands on Haha’s shoulders.

“Oppa! I really want to win! Please! Let’s win this special mission okay? Fighting!”

Haha answered enthusiastically,“Don’t worry Seohyun. We will win this mission! Fighting!”

I also have a plan that needs to work, Haha thought to himself.


 

The vacation days are now over.

Today is Monday and a new episode is about to take place.

As the cameras started to roll in, the Running Man members quickly acted on their character.

Yoo Jae Suk started the shoot by commenting, “The weather is perfect for recording but with weather like this, I am a bit afraid since any mission is possible. What do you think guys? Mudflat?”

The whole team nodded in agreement. Weathers can be crucial to their shoot.

A good weather means a better chance of shooting outdoors.

 “Hyung, I eavesdrop a while ago. I heard something special will happen today. A lot of guests will come here.” Lee Gwang Soo reported the information happily.

Kim Jong Kook teased, “Wherever team I would be in. I’ll destroy each one of you”

“Yah!” Suk Jin pointed his fingers, “Kim Jong Kook, Will there be a day where you won’t be threatening us? I hope today you will lose.”

Everyone laughed at his comment.

 

“I just hope I’m on the same team with Ji Hyo. It’s been a while since we were on a team. I miss her. I hope she misses me too. Do you miss me my Monday girlfriend?”

Gary looks excitedly at Ji Hyo then raised his hands and formed a heart.

Ji Hyo giggled and responded by placing her hands on her head forming the same sign.

“I miss you too Kang Gary Oppa! My Mondays are not complete without you.”

“Yah! Are you two really a couple?” Haha shook his head, “I can’t believe an actress dating a squid.”

The team erupted into fits of laughter as Gary wrestled Haha immediately after his snarky comment.

 

After a few minutes, the PD explained the mission for today.

“Today’s mission is called “Hunger Games: Couples Edition”.

A loud cheer erupted from the team.

Haha shouted happily, “Daebak! Finally! I can be with a pretty woman!”

Kwang Soo puts his hands in his mouth, “Woah. I think this is why the writers call this special.”

“You will meet your partners later but for now you have to listen carefully. Along with Ji Hyo, our six guests will be paired with you.  However, one couple is a “spy couple” they will try to eliminate you and be the last couple standing. In every round, you and also the guests can change partners if they think their partner is a spy. Now there is a voting booth behind you. For the penalty, you can write whatever you want but the only couple who will get penalize is the looser in the final round.”

Suk Jin raised his eyebrow, “Woah, so that means it is better to lose before the final round?”

Gary laughed and said, “I can’t believe this. I can already see who will end in the final round, Jae Suk Hyung, and Jong Kook Hyung”

Jong Kook spoke then let out a sigh, “If its strength and skill may be so but we have guests. It might be a good thing or a bad thing for me. Plus we have to catch the couple spy. It will not be easy.”

“Yes, that is true. That is why you have to choose your partner wisely. Do you understand? Now Mr. Yoo Jae Suk please come forward.”

 

The PD handed a card that contains the background of the guests to Yoo Jae Suk.

While the National MC is busy reading it, the other members wrote their chosen penalties at the booth.

After a few minutes, the members gathered at the stage.

“I bet this is really a special episode not only we are allowed to choose the punishment but our guests are the latest and hottest girl group, Girls’ Generation!”

Everyone applauded and shouted wildly.


 

The final mission finally approached and only two couples remained for the final round.

Surprisingly, Seohyun is stronger than she looks.

Partnered with the Commander, the power couple dominated most of the round.

They immediately ousted Suk Jin and Taeyeon.

With a little bit help from Jae Suk and Haha, they ousted Gary and Tiffany, Kwang Soo and Yuri.

Yoo Jae Suk and Yoon-ah almost got to the last round.

But thanks to the scheming of Haha and acting skills of Ji Hyo, they removed their name tags with the help of the power couple after convincing everyone that Jae Suk and Yoon-ah were the spy couple.

The couples who got ousted were put in a jail room.

 

“Now for the final round, you need to find the nametag of your partner hidden in this building.  Again, you can switch partners if you like. If you already found the nametag, go to the jail room and put it on the stage. For your motivation, the prize for the winning couple is 100,000 dollars and gold rings” The PD spoke loudly.

“I don’t think I need to change my partner. Seohyun is strong!” Jong Kook boasted.

Seohyun did an aegyo to him, “Oppa if you chose Ji Hyo Unnie, I’ll be really disappointed”

“Yah! Ji Hyo and I are a better couple than you. Just go home!” Haha teased.

Ji Hyo exhaled loudly, “Oppa, stop teasing them. Let’s just win this quickly.”

The four members decided to split and find the nametags. Ji Hyo and Jong Kook are in two different places while Haha and Seohyun are busy finding each other.

“Oppa! I’m here and I found your name tag!” Seohyun happily ran to Haha.

“Daebak! I also found yours! Come on let’s go to the stage!”

Haha held hand with Seohyun and rushed to jail room.


 

Everyone was gathered in front of the camera. Haha and Seohyun was the only cheery couple while the others are bickering like cats and dogs.

“I kept telling you! Haha was the spy!” Jae Suk exhaled loudly. “Yah, why don’t you believe me?”

“Oppa! You should just convince them harder!” Yoon-ah argued.

“How can I convince them when that Tiger already got my nametag?”

“At least you lasted for a long time. Look at us, we were ousted quickly.  Suk Jin Oppa is really the race starter. Yah! Jong Kook Oppa! Why can’t you just wait before I win a round so I can choose my partner?” Taeyon complained.

Everybody laughed at Taeyon’s rant.

“Okay now for the spy couple and the winners of today’s mission, Haha and Seohyun, please claim your prize.”

Everybody applauded when the winners took their prizes.

Seohyun gave out a smile, “Let’s eat together.  Shall we? It’s mine and Haha Oppa’s treat.”

“Yah! Seohyun. Let those rascals starved to death. Let’s just eat. Girls Generation and Haha”

Haha remark was met with a lot of kicks from the members and a lot of laughter from the girl group.

“And now for the losers, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo, please step forward,” Myuk PD said.

“I can’t believe two of our best aces lost a mission” Jae Suk commented.

“Yah! We can easily win this if we didn’t believe Haha in the first place” Jong Kook snapped back.

“That’s why Haha is the schemer. The ugly schemer” Kwang Soo joked to break the tension.

Everybody laughs again except Haha who is busy pulling the giraffe’s hair.

 

Myeok PD cleared his throat and announced loudly,

“I will ask the winners to pick a number for your punishment. But let me just tell what the members wrote. Suk Jin wrote water bomb. Jae Suk also wrote water bomb.”

“Don’t you have any imagination? You must think hard about this.” Kwang Soo commented.

Myeok PD started again, “Jong Kook wrote a day at the gym with him being the instructor. Gary and Ji Hyo wrote a date in a restaurant.”

“Gary and Ji Hyo thought they’ll be the couple for today. What a confidence” Suk Jin teasingly said.

The Monday coupled quickly responded in unison, “Why? Can’t we dream?”

 

“And lastly,” Myeok PD laughed, “This punishment is from Kwang Soo, A dark room stuck with insects. Insects placed in aquariums, glow in the dark insects and fried insects for food.”

Everybody erupted in anger and complains.

“Yah!” Ji Hyo kicks him. “You know I am afraid of bugs!”

“What were you thinking? A dark room? Such a dirty mind!” Garry said.

Jae Suk and Suk Jin have the same sentiment. “You can’t really film in a dark place.”

“Yah! Who in the right mind will want to get stuck with you?” Haha commented.

Jong Kook shouted while signaling his hands to the giraffe,

“Come here! Come here! Do you really think that is a right punishment for guests that you clearly know are girls?”

“Hyung, I really thought about it. If I lost, along with the guest, we can have some private time” Kwang Soo answered sheepishly.

Kwang Soo is now under the power of the Commander.

He was sitting –almost bowing- at the camera.

The idol group laughed out loud.

“Hyung! This is too much. The winners haven’t even picked up a number. Please let me go”

 

To his plea, Jong Kook let him free. The PD gave a card to Jae Suk stating the number and its designated punishment.

“Don’t look at it yet Jae Suk” The PD commanded.

“I get it. Okay so for the winners. What number will you pick for the punishment of this Spartace couple?”

 “We pick number 4 Oppa,” Seohyun answered.

Jae Suk asks, “Why?"

“It’s our lucky number Hyung. We are both born days of our birth months.” Haha explained.

 

Myeok PD commanded Jae Suk, “Okay you can look at it now and shout at the punishment.”

Jae Suk looks at it and lets out a big sigh.

“What is it Oppa?” Ji Hyo asked nervously.

“I’m sorry Ji Hyo. In this card, number four is stated as, “Kwang Soo’s punishment”

 

While the crowd is reacting sadly while consoling Ji Hyo, one member is cheering silently.

Yes! My plan worked! Now the only thing left is for these two stubborn people to confess, Haha thought to himself.


 

It's time for the punishment.

The staff invited the remaining members to get inside first for a glimpse of the room.  Everyone left the room feeling uneasy.  

Yoo Jae Suk tries to negotiate with the writers,  "You need to lessen the insects inside.  We all know Ji Hyo is not faking her fear in insects."

"Now I feel bad for writing that punishment.  I know Jong Kook Hyung can do it but Ji Hyo noona will certainly fail" Kwang Soo commented.  

The other members are now voicing out their opinion trying to convince the writers but Ji Hyo and Jong Kook are sitting quietly. 

The ace is particularly silent.  As if the reality of her punishment hasn't dawned on her.  

 

To the cast stubbornness, the producers held an emergency meeting.  

"Okay.  We have decided to change the concept of the punishment.  Instead of following everything in Kwang Soo's punishment.  We'll add a twist.  You already saw the room.  If you look closely there are 4 running balls hidden in it. If Jong Kook and Ji Hyo found 1 running ball then they don't need to eat the fried insects.  If two running ball is found, they don't need to touch the insects on the glass box.  If they found three running balls, they'll only stay in the room for ten minutes. If you found four balls,  you don't need to experience any of the punishment. Is that alright with you?" 

Jong Kook didn't speak.  His eyes are fixed at the ace. Waiting for whatever response she'll give.  

This is the first time Ji Hyo had been seriously afraid of the punishment. She doesn't mind dressing up or bungee jumping but when it comes to insect, it's a different story.  

And Jong Kook knew why.  


 

Flashback

Three days before shooting the pilot of Running Man.  Every cast is gathered in a room. 

Along with the writers and producers,  the casts had a meeting of acceptable punishment.  

A few solid fans might know this but each running man member has an Achilles' heel.  

For Yoo Jae Suk, Haha and Kwang Soo,  it's fear of heights.  

For him,  the commander,  it's being in the dark.  
For Gary and Suk Jin,  it's haunted house.  

And for Ji Hyo,  anything to do with insects.  

"I will do anything you want me to do. Just don't punish me with insects.  I have a phobia. I was severely bullied in high school. One time when we were in a camp.  They put all sorts of insects inside my tent then close it up.  I couldn't do anything but lay there and cry.  I couldn't shout since I'm afraid the insects will crawl in my mouth.  Luckily, my phone had a signal. I called my teacher and he saved me" 

End of flashback

At that moment, he already wanted to protect Ji Hyo. 

He made sure that if she will get punish it won't be anything she'll be uncomfortable with. 

He always blames it to his "Mama's boy" side were no women deserve to get hurt.  

Eventually,  he realized his instinct did not come from his family but from his heart. 

Ji Hyo is the woman he had feelings for and he wanted to protect her no matter what the cost.

 

Jong Kook snapped from his train of thought when Ji Hyo replied weakly.   

She nervously asked the PD, "It's okay for me.  What do we need to do?" 

"You just need to find the running ball within 30 minutes.  The room is pretty small hence the time limit.  First, you need to tie your feet together.  Ji Hyo please give me your right foot and Jong Kook please give me your left foot. After FD Wang finishes tying your hands, you can go now. Please wait for the sound of the bell before you start searching." 


 

The surprise on their faces was obvious. It was right for the other members to protest.  

The set-up was too much. Every corner has an insect crawling over it.  Different shapes and sizes. 

Thank God the lights are on so they could see what places they shouldn't run into. 

"Aigoo. We need to find the four balls. We can't stay here without the lights.  Any insect can crawl to us." The commander stated. 

Jong Kook kept looking at the surrounding when his gaze fell on his partner. 

Song Ji Hyo is now shaking like a leaf.

He tried to touch her back to assure her, "Are you okay Ji Hyo?"  

She responded nervously,  "I'm having flashbacks." 

Her statement made him uneasy.  He holds her shoulder firmly.  

"Look at me Ji Hyo.  This is not your tent.  There are no bullies here.  This is just a punishment. You can get through this." 

His eyes are now glued to hers. Hoping his words can reach her. 

Ji Hyo placed her hands on her face trying not to cry. 

"Oppa I am really scared but I don't want people to think bad of me because of this." 

"They will not think bad of you.  I promise.  Come on.  Give me your hand.  It's okay.  We can finish this." 

Without a beat,  she held his hand and then,  the ringing of the bell echoed loudly. 


 

Surprisingly, the pair found four running balls.  

"Woah. The record time is 29 minutes.  That's really a close call." Haha commented. 

Suk Jin responded,  "I honestly thought they won't find the fourth ball.  Ji Hyo is on the verge of crying" 

"What I can't believe is Jong Kook Hyung single-handedly carry Ji Hyo noona" Kwang Soo spoke in amazement. 

"You hugged Jong Kook hyung so hard I got jealous.  Don't tell me you'll replace me?" Gary teased the ace.  

"Yah.  You know you'll always be my Monday boyfriend." Ji Hyo teased back.  

 

The whole casts burst into laughter. The producers signaled the National MC to wrap it up which he happily obliged. 

"With a result like this.  We can say this is one of the thrilling punishment we ever experienced in Running Man History.  What a way to end this episode.  Now for our viewers,  thank you for watching!" 

With that,  everyone bid goodbye. 

"And cut!" Myeok PD shouted happily.  

Everyone congratulated the pair before going back to their tents to change.  

 

Jong Kook is about to do the same when a hand pulled the back of his jacket lightly. 

He turned back only to see a smiling Ji Hyo. 

"Oppa!  Thank you so much!" 

She stretches her arms then lunged forward to her oppa giving him a bear hug.

"I know you could do it Ji Hyo." 

Maybe it is his imagination but he felt her head rest on his chest.  

"Thank you, Oppa.  Really." 

Her voice is like music to his ears.  

"No problem." 

And with that,  Ji Hyo let go and gave a small bow before leaving him.  

Although he always denies it.  But that day,  a lot of people noticed he was grinning like an idiot.