Chapter Five

Tell Me Why

Chapter Five 


A/N: Okay I have some announcement to make. 

First,  In the seventh chapter, there will be "" scenarios. So if you're a kid, SKIP that. And if you're an adult, enjoy. 

Second, I'm going to write another story about Jong Kook and Hong Jin Yong since my baby is so adorable when his with her. Plus, I just watch the sister slam dunk and I just fell in love with her personality. I hope you'll read it.

Third, I'm gonna write informally (if you'll notice in this chapter) It will be short but intentional. I'll focus more on the emotions of these two since I'm planning to end this story in just ten chapters. From this episode until the tenth, you will discover why Jong Kook is so damn stubborn. But don't fret, this is a happy ending. (Well, sort-of.) *Evil laugh* 

So, this chapter is a groundwork, from here on, you're going to be on an emotional roller coaster.


 

The kitchen is a mess. 

Bits and pieces of chopped vegetables are scattered all over the counter. 

All four burners are filled with pots and pan. 

 

“Yah, I must say it’s like you two are on cooking show” 

Suk Jin commented as he entered the kitchen putting the cake in the fridge.

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo look at each other and laughed. 

She wore a blue apron on and her hair is ponytailed in a really tight bun. 

While he wore an orange one and his hair pushed back with a headband.

Yes, they are cooking together and everyone is eager to taste their combined cooking.

It is well-known these two can cook dirt and still taste delicious.

“Oppa?” she looks at him while holding a ladle “Can you taste this please?” 

He took a few paces and without hesitation tasted the soup.

His eyebrows creased.

There something lacking at the flavor but he can’t point it out. 

“Something is lacking. I just don’t know why” 

Ji Hyo looks at him, worried, and then tasted the remaining soup.

Indirect kiss, she shyly thought to herself. 

“I just added a pinch of salt on this. You think I need to add more Oppa?”

“Hold on” 

He quickly left her side and get something in the fridge. 

“Let’s try this” he sprinkled something on the soup. “Now taste it again.” 

She stirs it again then tasted it. “Daebak! It tasted better!” 

A grin spread across the commander’s face. 

“Let’s go set the table. I think the birthday boy is coming soon.” 

[…]


Kwang Soo stares at his phone and sighs in disbelief.

“I can’t believe this. Everyone is busy” 

It’s his freaking birthday and he has nobody to celebrate it with.

He can’t really enjoy eating outside alone. Not now with his foul mood.

People will disturb him and he really doesn’t want to socialize.

He was pissed. It’s his birthday and no one seemed to care. 

“So much for being a family. It’s just better to go home and drink”

He presses the gas pedal angrily. 

He let out a frustrated sigh as he dwells more on his emotion.

Somehow at times like this, he really felt he’s taken for granted. 

He’s present in each of their birthdays why can’t they?

He removed his seatbelt when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. 

“Hyung! Where are you? Why are you not answering?” He almost shouted at Jae Suk. 

“I’m sorry. I was out because of my colds. I just woke up. I’m sorry I can’t join you on your birthday. I’ll deliver some food for you. Where are you?” 

He can hear him coughing and sniffling in the background.

Kwang Soo felt guilty. He really can’t force a sick person to celebrate with him. 

“It’s okay Hyung. Everyone seemed busy so I’m just coming home. I’m in the parking car. I’m just gonna drink alone tonight. But when you’re fully recovered, we will celebrate”

He said in a stern manner that earned a laugh from the older one. 

“I got it. Happy Birthday, Kwang Soo.”

He thanked his hyung then left his car at the park.

[…]


If people saw them now, ─bickering at each other─ they’ll probably think they’re recording another episode of the show. 

Of course, they’re not.  They just grew accustomed that shouting at each other is to communicate. 

Jae Suk shouted the loudest. Trying to catch everybody’s attention. 

“Hey! Everyone shush! I just talked to him. He is coming up.” 

“Okay places everybody!” 

Jong Kook clapped his hand looking at everyone as they quickly hid at their assigned spot. 

Gary who is standing near the switch announced, “I’m turning the light now!” 

And with that, the apartment was dead silent. 

You can’t hear anything except the sound of someone entering the code. 

Everybody held theirs breathes when the doorknob was open. 

On cue, when Kwang Soo entered the apartment, everyone shouted,

“Happy Birthday Kwang Soo!” 

[…]

The surprise party was a success. 

Not only had they got the birthday boy surprised. 

They also succeeded making him cry. 

“I really thought you forget about me” He confessed. “I felt for a second there that I’m being taken for granted”

“I’m sorry” Ji Hyo gave him a bear hug, “but you know we will never take you for granted” 

The men also gave him a hugged and personally greeted him. 

“Now come one! I’m hungry!” Haha complained, “Everyone is excited to eat whatever the Spartace cooked.”

“Ah!” Ji Hyo unconsciously grabs Jong Kook hands and led him in front of the table. 

She’s comfortable now. Did she forgive me already? Jong Kook thought to himself. 

“Chef Jong Kook will now show you what we cook.”

Everyone applauded enjoying the ace’s adorableness. 

Jong Kook swiftly opens the lids. “All of these dishes are Kwang Soo’s favorite. Bibimbap, mandu, bulgogi and of course, gamja-tang! Let’s eat!”

And with that, everyone gathered at the table.  

[…]


The dishes, cake, and alcohol were consumed in just two hours. 

Now that everyone is settled, small chit-chats started to fill the room. 

Gary and Haha insisted to do the clean-up since they didn’t contribute to anything. 

Kwang Soo is in deep conversation with the two oldest members. 

While the two exhausted chefs placed themselves comfortably on the sofa. 

Sitting side by side, they try to get some rest.

“It’s really tiring to cook for a group isn’t it?” 

Jong Kook stretches his arms upwards then shook it aggressively.

“Is your back okay Oppa?” 

Before he can answer, her right hand already sneaked at his back, massaging it. 

He let out a small moan. “It feels nice” 

She spoke in between giggles. “You. sound. like. an. old. man.”

“You’re not angry anymore?” 

Ji Hyo’s hand stops moving as she saw his eyes looking at her. 

She put her hands together then sighs. “Okay, we’re adults. We can talk about this” 

“Perks of being an old woman and old man” 

He trying to ease the tension that is slowly building up. 

He doesn’t want another fight. He just wants to talk, just like the old times. 

He missed her. Not just in a romantic way. Excluding Haha, Ji Hyo is one of his closest friends.

Before the feelings complicated their relationship, they were each other’s confidante. 

Thankfully, she laughs at him, ─an obvious fake laugh from his lame joke. 

“Oppa, I’m 29 and your 35. We are not that old. Emphasized on the word not.”

“So…” the commander bit his lip, “you’re not angry anymore?”

“I’m not. Actually, I’m the one who should apologize. I acted like a child” 

The commander gave a gentle smile. 

“Forgiven. We all know you’re different when you’re drunk.”

He took a swig at his beer then lay it down at the table. 

Jong Kook shifted his position. This time his whole body is facing the ace’s direction. 

She can feel her heartbeat pound faster as she saw his hand took hers. 

Squeezing it lightly, he looks at her, eyes searching for truth. 

“Why do you like me Ji Hyo?” 

This time, using her other hand, she drank her beer like water. 

She threw her back at the sofa, tilting her head upward then closes her eyes. 

Ji Hyo pursed her lips together, “I honestly don’t know why but I do know when I started to see you in a different light. Remember when I cried at the tent then you hugged me?”

He nodded. 

The memory still etched at his mind, her sobbing fiercely at his arms.

He tried to control his breathing as the irritation started to rise out from his chest. 

He’s supposed to teach that jerk a lesson. Jae Suk and Suk Jin are already on board but she’s so damn vulnerable at that time, everyone decided to just be with her instead of acting all macho.  

“I felt safe when I’m with you. I feel like you’re my protector. Then it just you know… grew.” 

She pulled a face then this time looks at him. 

“I really tried to control it Oppa. I held it in as long as I can but I don’t know. With the combination of alcohol and jealousy, I just burst out.” 

He raised his eyebrow, “You’re jealous of whom?”

“That girl you hugged at the party. I don’t remember who she is” she puffs. 

“Hye Sung?” he smiled widely, “Ji Hyo, she’s my therapist.” 

Flashback
Back on Jeju Island, while massaging him, Hye Sung gave tips on how to take care of his knee. 
To say it was helpful is an understatement. He contacted her immediately asking her to be his therapist. 
Two weeks had passed since he hired her as his therapist.
Sitting in the recliner, Kim Jong Kook fights the pain with gritted teeth afraid that it will paralyze him for the whole night. 
“Oppa, are you okay?” 
“I’m okay. Go to—“
The woman in scrubs strides toward him ignoring the shock on his face. She reaches to his right knee then squeezes it hard earning a groan from the commander. 
“Stop pretending. Clearly, you’re not okay. This is why you hired me so shut up and let me do my job or else I feel that I’m just conning you.” 
He laughs at her choice of words. Now he knows why Kwang Soo likes her.
End of Flashback


Ji Hyo’s eyes widened, “She’s your therapist?”

The commander laughed out loud causing the others to look at him. 

“I knew it. You really didn’t remember any of it. Did you know you caused a scene? This is why you got jealous? Ji Hyo, that night I announced I’ll be leaving the show for two months since I need to go to physical therapy for my knees. Hye Sung will help me.” 

“Oh my gosh! I’m never going to drink again.” 

The ace slaps her hands on her face. Clearly embarrassed, her skin is now red. 

“Yes. That’s a good decision.” He gave out a smile. “You’re crazy when your drunk.”

She slaps his shoulder playfully. “I’m not!” 

She’s about to smack him again when he caught her hand mid-air. 

 “Oppa?” 

She tried to remove her hands. She doesn’t know why but it’s different.

This time there is something about his touch that made shivers at her back. 

He didn’t let go of her hands. Instead, he shifted position again. 

Imitating her, he threw his back at the sofa.

The silence took over for a while. She’s about to speak when he beats her to it. 

“Ji Hyo” 

He looks at her and she wishes he didn’t. 

His black orbs are now filled with tears. 

“I can’t protect you” 

“What?” She gritted her teeth, “What are you saying Oppa?”

He gave her a heart-rending smile. 

“You said you like me because I make you feel safe. In a few years from now, I can’t do that anymore. I can’t be the man you want me to be.”

She shakes her head in half-anger and half-surprise.

“Unbelievable. Is this why you rejected me? Oppa, I’m not some damsel in distress that needs protection 24/7. You’ll protect me when I ask you too.” 

Jong Kook felt the instant coldness at his hand when she unclasped her hands. 

“Look at me Oppa. Do you like me?” 

For a moment, Jong Kook felt the time stopped. 

Everything at his surrounding got blurry.

Everyone except Ji Hyo was clear. 

His eyes can only see her beautiful face, eyes piercing at his. 

They look at each other for a long time, studying each other’s face. 

Every emotion is now painted on each other’s face. No more hiding. No more pretending.

All of her walls are broken down. The only thing he can see at her eyes is the vulnerability. 

This is it. He knew it. This is the time he can make or break her with his answer. 

He’s about to answer when a loud shriek broke out the apartment. 


A/N: Sooooooooooo. What do you think? :)