Chapter Two

Tell Me Why

 


Chapter Two 


The joyful noise echoes through the whole villa.  

The cast and crew wanted to savor the five days vacation in Jeju Island. So they discuss what activities can they enjoy. 

Of course, The first choice is throwing a party. 

The combination of meat and soju made everyone in good spirit except for two people. 


 

After Kwang Soo vent out his anger to the commander, the two men laughed it out and decide to hang out leaving Ji-Hyo behind. 

And it drove her crazy. 

She kept thinking of possible answers to what would he tell her but none of them can give her any satisfaction. 

Finally, she chose to get the answer from her Oppa himself.

To her frustration, Jong-Kook never said a word regarding the matter. 

"Yah! Oppa, we've been sitting here for a long time. We've already finished 3 bottles but you're still not answering me. What is it? You told me you need to tell me something." 

The commander emptied his cup then poured out another shot for him and his yeodongsaeng

He gave her a big smile then place his hand on her nose squishing it lightly. 

"I'll tell it to you once I think the time is right. For now, let's just enjoy this moment. Come on, don't you want to bond with your handsome Oppa?" 

She can't help but laugh as Jong-Kook made heart signs with his hands.

This is one of the many reasons why she loves him. He can easily make her laugh by doing an aegyo to her. 

"Fine. If you really don't want to talk about it. I'll let it go. How are you Oppa? How's your mom?" 

"She's annoying. She kept bugging me. I think she asked me a hundred times when will I gave her a daughter-in-law and grandkids" 

Both of them let out a giggle.

After years of being castmates, Ji-Hyo met his mom and surprisingly they got along well. Every time they meet they got into a banter where Mrs. Kim would ask her when is the wedding date and she'll answer back with, "As soon as your son agrees to marry me. How many grandkids do you want Eomeoni?"  

"I think she's the one being pressured with your age Oppa. When will you finally decide to get married? The clock is ticking you know. I told you before..." Ji Hyo smiled then tucked her hair into her ears, "I can be your wife if you want to."  

It was meant to be a joke but every time she let her feelings out by saying it as a joke, it hurts when Jong-Kook doesn't respond.

Normally, he reacts quickly to what she'll say but when it comes to this joke, he always remained quiet. 

Maybe for him, the idea of us being together is impossible, she thought. 

"Hey, Oppa. You know I'm just joking right?"

"I know..." Jong-Kook gave her a forced smile  "I'm glad that you can joke about marriage now. Did you already move on from him?" 

Him. 

Her ex-boyfriend.

A name that must not be spoken of. 

Ji-Hyo cringed at the memories that rush through her mind.

The scandal, the cheating and the cowardliness of that man. The only good thing that happened to her was Jong-Kook founded her.



5 years ago...

After finishing a game scene, Song Ji-Hyo was quickly pulled by her manager in the tent.

"I know that you're tired but we need to talk about this. What happened? Your boyfriend called for the hundredth time. What's wrong?" 

"He's my ex-boyfriend he cheated on me" Ji Hyo snaps at her, "He cheated on me with a new talent. I don't want to talk about it anymore. Please Ms. Park" 

The manager gave her an understanding nod. 

"Okay, go home and rest. I'll handle the press" 

Ms. Park gave her a quick hug before leaving the tent. 

Song Ji-Hyo wipes her sweat then proceed to gather her stuff.

Her hands tried to remain busy but her mind already played out the memory of the break-up. 

It was surprising and quick. As if four years meant nothing to him.

She saw him and his lover at their apartment.

Hurtful words along with expensive things were thrown but the CEO decided to stand by his new lover. 

She walked away broken and thousands of questions in her head.

 

"Why did he cheat on me? Am I not enough for him?"  She asked herself again, "what did I do wrong?" 

 

Finally, she can't take it anymore.

She felt on the floor as she accepts all the pain she endured for the past weeks.

Her eyes betrayed her, letting all the tears she kept at bay free. Her soft cries now turned into a violent wail. 

She cried for being a foolish girl trusting on every word he said.

She cried for the wasted chances she gave.

She cried for the years she invested in the relationship.

She cried for the confidence she lost because of him. 

She tried to gain composure when a strong pair of arms wrapped around her. 

"Don't stop crying. Let it all out. Ms. Park told me what happened. He doesn't deserve you. And you don't deserve this. But you need to swim in your pain in order to rise from it again. Just cry Ji-Hyo"  

Kim Jong-Kook's deep voice encouraged her to cry harder. 

"Oppa, am I..." she choked out her words, "not good enough?"

"Oh. You are more than enough. Don't ever think that you're not." 

She cried harder as she felt his lips touched her head. 

All her walls came falling down from a simple gesture. Her vulnerability is clearly shown with her hands clutched to his chest. 

In her arms, she felt safe and that scared the out of her.

"Oppa, please don't leave me" 

"I won't. Not anymore. Let it all go. Cry harder if you need to." 

At that moment, she started to see him in a different light. 


 

A slap on her shoulder snapped her out from her visit to memory lane. 

"Yah, what are you talking about? Let me in!"

A drunk Haha pulled a chair and sat beside the ace. 

"Hey Haha. You had enough. Stop drinking." Jong Kook removed the beer from his hands, "You're wife will get angry if she knew you got wasted again. I'm just asking Ji-Hyo if she already moved on from her ex" 

"Who? That CEO jerk?" Haha snorted, "Please. Our Ji-Hyo is too pretty for that shortie. Right, Ji Hyo?" 

"You're right. I am so pretty for him. But Haha, you're just a shortie just like him" 

The three laughed out loud. Haha teasingly slaps her shoulder again. 

"Yah! Ji hyo! Why are you being mean? Don't tell me it's because you still love that shortie." 

 Giving in to the playful banter, she playfully grabs his hair and pulled it harshly.

"I'm not being mean. You're just short. But no. I don't love him anymore. I love someone else" 

"Oh! Daebak! Who is it?" Haha move closer, "tell me, whisper it to me my ear" 

As Ji-Hyo place her hands to his ear, Jong-Kook let out a loud cough bringing their attention to the commander.

"Excuse me. I need to stop Kwang Soo from embarrassing himself to that girl." 

Surprised by the abrupt action,  the duo followed him with their eyes only to land on a petite and pretty girl being awkward to Kwang Soo. 

"Who's that?" Haha gazes at Ji-Hyo, "Giraffe's new target?" 

Ji-Hyo shook her head as she saw the girl beamed up as Jong-Kook came to hug her.

"Haha." Ji Hyo looks at him, eyes widened, "I think that girl likes Jong-Kook" 

"Aigoo." Haha shook his head, "You haven't told him yet?" 

she sighed then gulp down another shot, "I don't have the guts to tell him" 

 

Haha looks at the new girl freely touching the commander's arm.

"Well, you better tell him now. If not tonight. Tell her this week or else...Ji-Hyo, assertive girls like that are dangerous" 

 

She doesn't know why Jong Kook's smile affected her more than Haha's words. 

For all she knows, Jong Kook never smiled at her like that. Like he's really happy to see her. 

 

Could it be that her worst nightmare coming true?