With All My Heart Pt.2

Scintilla

"Hae Soo, you are here at last." The king greets his future daughter in-law delightfully and happily.

She walks down the large room, dazedly—feeling a sense of deja vu. Not yet noticing the other inhabitants, she pays respect to the king first of all. "Your Majesty."

The silence that suddenly fills the room as the doors were closed once again was suffocating. Only her voice bounced off the desolate walls.

Finally looking up and around, she spots a girl as well as two scholars. She holds in a gasp as she realized just who those two scholars were. Hae Soo witnesses Baek Ah whipping his head to look at his brother, whose face had already hardened into something unreadable. So diverts his gaze to his teacup—suddenly finding it to be rather interesting.

She tries desperately to catch his eyes, but he refused to look up. Baek Ah would cast him worried glances from time to time discreetly. Though, it doesn't go unnoticed by her.

"Now that you all are here," the king turns to Hae Soo first. "I am sure you had time to look around before meeting me."

"Yes, I have, Your Majesty."

"I happen to have another surprise waiting here for you...well two surprises. The first is that this girl, Woo Hee, will be your main lady in waiting. She has given nothing but her best—as I have been told—so please do confide and trust in her."

Woo Hee turns to her and displays veneration, saying, "Greetings to the future princess. I will do my best to serve you."

The king claps joyfully. "Now that the first surprise has been revealed, I wish to ask about your first impression of the palace. How did you find the new chamber?"

Chae Ryung suddenly interrupts, bursting with glee while clasping her hands together. "Oh, Your Majesty...It was beautiful beyond words." Finally aware of how she acted, Chae Ryung throws a hand over . "A thousand apologies, Your Majesty. I have spoken out of place."

The king waves it off with a brush of his hand, laughing loudly. "Do not trouble so, child...You can spend all the time you want there. I will still allow you to serve Hae Soo when she has become princess."

"Your benevolence knows no boundaries, Your Majesty." Chae Ryung bows deeply.

"And Hae Soo—what do you think?"

"I find it to be quite fitting. I surely could not ask for more."

"Sure you can. You will be married to my son after all. A princess deserves only the best; especially if she is a part of my family."

"Ye," Hae Soo answers sullenly. Peeking up to look where So was sitting, she finds that he was still sitting in the same position, unmoving. Baek Ah, on the other hand, couldn't have expressed what he felt more obviously. He glared at her, hand clenching his teacup so hard, it was turning white.

Deciding to turn away, she remembers what she had been called here for in the first place. "Why have you called for me?"

"Since you will be a princess soon, I want your studies to be up-to-date. Even though I know that you are a smart lady, there is never an end to how much you can learn. And, I intend for you to do so."

"What are you saying?"

"I will be testing your will to persevere and getting used to royal affairs within the palace. As for your teacher, I will test him on his devotion and determination to follow through with my orders."

"Who is to be my teacher, then?"

"He—" the king gestures towards So. "—will be your teacher until the marriage commences. I know you will do your best to learn, and he will do his best to teach. I have great faith in you both."

For the first time since she got here, she becomes worried. Clutching her norigae, she dares to look over at Wang So again, who had finally stopped staring at his tea. His gaze turned to her again, emotionless.

"It is a pleasure to have this honor of teaching you, Lady Hae."

And she doesn't know why, but her heart wrenches as their eyes meet. Even the way he addressed her, the light in his eyes, it was different—all different.

You do not look at me the way you used to.

 

•••

 

"This is splendid, indeed. You will learn a lot not only from scholar Wang So here, but scholar Baek Ah as well."

"If I may cut in, Your Majesty," So speaks up. "I have other matters at the Sungkyunkwan I must attend to. Permission to leave?"

"Oh...of course. Please come back tomorrow to start lessons." The king smiles kindly down from his throne, oblivious.

So bows, turning to leave promptly—not even waiting for his brother; not looking back at Hae Soo. If he looked back, it would take all his willpower not to stay. Even as he felt her stare following him all the way out, he doesn't turn around.

"So-hyungnim!" Baek Ah scrambles to follow after, almost knocking over his tea tray. He doesn't forget to greet the king in the midst of all that as he chases after his brother.

"Hyung! Please slow down!"

When So doesn't listen, Baek Ah runs ahead, blocking his brother's path.

"What?" So's eyes had turned cold, an indecipherable countenance on his face laced with anger underneath.

"Look, I know this is not what you thought it would be. The messenger—the news—from this morning could not have been any more different."

"No, it could have," So snarls. "It could have been anything but this." So waves his hand around. "Anything would have been fine with me, as long as I did not have to see her again."

Baek Ah flinches at tone of So's voice. "Do you really think that you would never happen upon chance to see her?"

So looks away, and Baek Ah continues on. "She will be here more often than not, and you are here daily. Your paths are bound to cross, whether you like it or not, hyungnim."

"I do not wish to cross paths. Our bridges burned down the moment that marriage announcement was made."

"Even if you think those ties are severed, what about her feelings for you? What if they are unwavering, unyielding, to anyone else? You will not know unless you ask Lady Hae."

"I would like to keep it that way. If I am to forget her, I have to eliminate everything that once was and could have been." I do not know if I can, but I pray that I will be able to. She is not mine anymore; she never was. So sets his jaw and begins to walk around Baek Ah.

Throwing an arm out to block him, Baek Ah says inaudibly, "It is a royal favor. We no not have a choice in the matter, hyungnim."

He hears So exhale ddejectedly. "I know that. I just wish it was not."

"I will be there with you. We will get through this as the king wishes." Baek Ah turns around so that he was side-by-side with his brother. Suddenly wrapping his arm around So's neck in a playful headlock, Baek Ah says happily, "Let us forget about this for today and have fun at the market. We have not been there in ages."

So struggles to fight back, and although he was admittedly a lot stronger than Baek Ah, his brother made up for the lack of strength with his height. Eventually giving up So lets Baek Ah drag him down the streets.

"You need to find better ways to cheer me up that does not result in me wanting to strangle you."

"I will, hyungnim. Next time, I will try to be just a little bit less annoying." You are my best friend—my brother above all else. I will not let you get hurt.

 

•••

 

"Agassi....." Chae Ryung waves a hand in front of Hae Soo's face.

"Oh...sorry Chae Ryung-ya." Hae Soo shakes her head and turns to look at all of the gifts presented in front of her.

"Would you like to talk things out, my lady? You have been quite out of it these past few days." Chae Ryung fiddles with the ornaments and rows of silk on the table.

"It is just...you know how I feel about this, Chae Ryung-ya. I do not think you would understand if I am to tell you the whole story. You might think of your lady as a foolish woman."

"That is nonsense, Agassi. Whatever you may need—anything it may be—you can always come to me. I will be willing to listen and help to the best of my abilities."

Hae Soo's heart warms at Chae Ryung's thoughtfulness. She couldn't have asked for a better servant; one that was more a family and friend than an inferior. Placing her hand around Chae Ryung's, she gives them a light squeeze. "Thank you for having always been there, Chae Ryung-ya. I know I can be a burden—especially more now than ever—but I want you to know that I am forever grateful for you; an unexpected friend."

"Agassi, you are starting to make me tear up."

Hae Soo laughs lightly, spirits lifting at the peacefulness of being in her chamber, talking easily to Chae Ryung.

A light knock comes from outside, and both girls see a shadow apparent outside the wooden doors lined with rice paper.

"Do come in," Hae Soo calls out.

Woo Hee opens the door and walks in. "Lady Hae, I am here on behalf of the king's orders. I trust that His Majesty has told you earlier about the meeting?"

"Ah, yes he has. We—Chae Ryung and I—were just preparing for it right now."

"I see...Court Lady Oh wanted to see Chae Ryung for a while. She spoke about wanting to teach her necessary basic skills while I am to help you get ready. Is that alright with you?"

Chae Ryung looks over at Hae Soo, pouting lightly at the thought of having to work rather than leisure time with her lady. Hae Soo hides her grin, turning towards Woo Hee. "It is alright with me. Chae Ryung-ya, study well!"

"Ye, Agassi." With the pout still engraved on her face, Chae Ryung drags her feet out and slides the doors closed once more.

Once she was gone, Hae Soo decided to make small talk with Woo Hee to try and break the ice.

"Woo Hee, I think that you are more than capable of the praises I have heard."

"Your are far too kind, my lady." Woo Hee smiles faintly.

"Do tell me, how is palace life?" Hae Soo was curious. If she was to live here, she had to at least relieve some of her worries.

"It is not quite what it seems like from the outside, in all fairness. People struggle from time to time, and people have to be cautious from time to time. Now, that is not to scare you away, my lady." Woo Hee chuckles lightly. "I am only speaking from past experience and what I hear. That is not to say it is all bad. The people you meet here change the way you look at things—more likely if they are the right people. Lady Oh and Baek Ah-nim are people I owe with my life."

Hae Soo smiles. "I am glad I can talk to you so freely like this, Woo Hee. Thank you for opening up to me." Pausing, she recalls what Woo Hee had just said. "Wait, did you say Baek Ah? As in Wang Baek Ah?"

"Is that all you got out of my monologue, Lady Hae?" Woo Hee raises her eyebrows, playfully mocking. "Yes, Wang Baek Ah."

Hae Soo was itching to ask Woo Hee just how much she knew. If she was close to Baek Ah, that would mean...

"My lady, we do not have much time to talk. As much as I love to, and I feel like we will get along easily, we cannot keep the King and Prince Wook waiting for too long. Come, let me help you pick out your hanbok." Moving aside the rows of colorful silk, Woo Hee places two neatly folded up hanboks in front of Hae Soo. "Would you like to wear the purple, or light blue hanbok, my lady?"

"Which do you recommend I should wear? You are here to help me, are you not?" Hae Soo jokes. For some reason, she found she could be herself around Woo Hee; like a long-lost friend she never had.

"The one thing I know is that Prince Wook's favorite color is purple, but I think the blue one would suit you very nicely," Woo Hee states confidently.

Her mind shifts to a past memory, distant like the wind, but engraved in her thoughts like ink on paper. "Then…I shall go with what I look best in."

Woo Hee makes way to start dressing Hae Soo. Before she could yank the norigae away, Hae Soo stops her. "I want to keep this on."

Woo Hee looked more than surprised. "You do not wish to put on the new ornaments the king has sent?"

"This...is special to me." It is a gift from someone who has my heart. I will never let it out of my sight.

Woo Hee looks at her for a while, before letting the matter drop and continuing with her task.

"You are all ready now, Lady Hae."

"Thank you. From here on out, I hope we can be even closer." As she turns to walk out, Woo Hee's voice stops her dead in her tracks—hands still clutching onto the wooden sliding doors, in mid-step.

"Baek Ah-nim had once told me that his older brother's favorite color was light blue."

 

•••

 

"Can you stop dragging me by my neck now?" So finally manages to shake Baek Ah off after getting weird looks from many passerbies. After all, it was not every day that the poised and refined scholars from the Sungkyunkwan graced the streets by head locking one another.

Slightly annoyed, So smooths down his robes, walking next to Baek Ah with his hands behind his back.

"Look at all this food! Woah, I have not been here in so long. The market has grown immensely since the last time I got to see it." Looking around in awe, Baek Ah's eyes shimmered with delight.

He reminded So of a little boy seeing new sights for the first time. Whatever the case, he decided to give in and push his worries aside. Today, he would have fun with his brother—at least try to the best of his abilities—and indulge in the simplistic grandeur of the outdoors.

Not once did Wang So complain as Baek Ah dragged him from one stand to another, trying this and that. Truthfully, it was the most fun he had in ages, and he found the events of the past few days slipping away like flowing water.

The hustle and bustle of the market gave it a much more hospitable feel, despite the cacophonous noises coming from all directions.

They both ate until their bellies were full, and looked around until there was nowhere else to look. As they were making their way back to the palace, a small shop catches Wang So's eye.

"I forgot that I needed a new brush for writing. Maybe I will get an ink stone as well," Baek Ah mutters to himself. "Uh, hyungnim, I will be right back. Wait for me here until then." Without waiting for a reply, he dashes off, leaving So behind.

When his brother had left, no longer visible in the crowds, So heads in the direction of the small shop he had seen earlier, filled with hanbok and other small accessories.

When he reached the wooden table placed outside, he realized that it was full of delicate norigae. Brushing his fingers across the stitches, his mind runs on it's own accord to the good days of the past. Shaking his head, the thoughts vanish as someone bumps into him.

 

•••

 

"I—you—" Regaining her composure, Hae Soo speaks firmly, her back towards Woo Hee; afraid her true intentions would show. "I have no idea what you mean. Prince Wook and His Majesty are waiting, as you already know. I have to get going."

Not looking back, Hae Soo steps outside fully into the slowly darkening sky.

With fast paced steps, she makes it to one of the highest balconies in the palace overlooking the whole town where the king and Prince Wook were waiting.

Upon seeing her, the king smiles widely. "You have made it. Do, sit down." With a wave of his hand, tea is immediately served before Hae Soo could even take a seat.

The only person in the area truly ecstatic and eager was the king. Being seated across from Wook only made it all the more awkward. Neither looked at each other nor made any small talk. Four eyes were focused on the king, waiting for him to say something—anything—to break the ice.

The king chuckles as he gestures between them. "How are you both to get married if you can barely look at each other in the eyes?"

That is not the only problem, Hae Soo thinks bitterly.

She takes a sip out of her teacup, still not making eye contact with Wook.

"Father, you know how arranged marriages are. It is nothing but uncomfortable."

Hae Soo agrees wholeheartedly, but debates whether she should nod her head in fear of being rude. After all, the king seemed heavily invested in having them joining their lives together.

"And what about you, Hae Soo?"

"What do I think?"

"Yes, my child."

"I—"

Wook speaks up for her. "Please do not make this any more difficult than it is, Father. Let us three just enjoy the nice weather and get to know each other better."

Thankful for his interjection, Hae Soo sends a small smile in Wook's direction—which he returns.

 

~~~

 

As hours and hours passed by, Hae Soo grew to love the father and son duo a lot more than she initially did. They were both good people deep down. While she did learn more about them both—especially Wook—nothing had changed in the time they talked. She would never be able to see him as more than an acquaintance—a friend at most.

The king had left a while back, stating that he had matters needing to be attended to immediately. Leaving Wook and Hae Soo behind, she doesn't quite remember when they stopped talking.

Currently, they were both standing near the edge of the balcony, watching people mill about even as it was nearing nighttime.

The more she looked at the market, the more she thought of how she had loved to roam the place when she was younger. The more she thought of her younger self, the more she thought of Wang So.

What are you doing right now? Are you well? Have you eaten? Do you miss me as much as I miss you?

She was sure she was bad company, but Wook didn't seem to mind. He was deep in his own thoughts as well, staring off into the distance.

Hae Soo's eyes somehow find their way to the shop where the she had gotten the norigae as a present. It didn't take her long to figure out that the figure standing outside the store was Wang So.

Why is it that whenever I think of you, I see you? Yet, you are never here beside me.

She sees him looking around, unaware of her watching overhead from her vantage point. He was busy rummaging through the ornaments until a little girl crashes into his back.

He turns around, surprised before smiling. Crouching down, he touches the little girl's cheek and hair. Hae Soo sees the girl nod, which only meant that Wang So had asked if she was alright.

He opens up his palm, and the girl gives a big toothy grin. In his hand he held the same exact norigae he had given her, but with a different color palette. Insisting, the girl finally takes it—not without bowing first—and runs back to where her parents must be.

He stands up and smiles slightly at the little running cheerfully away. With hands clasped behind his back, he looks up at the sky. Afraid that So would see her, Hae Soo looks away—for a brief second.

When she does look back again, she realizes that he never noticed her presence on the balcony. Still looking down, Hae Soo sees Baek Ah bounding over to scare his brother—which fails badly. So turns around at the exact moment that Baek Ah is about to jump at him. Both are frozen in their spots until Baek Ah dips a finger in ink and smears it on his brother's nose. Sticking his tongue out, Baek Ah starts running as if he knew what was going to ensue afterwards. So sprints after and even from her position, she could see both brothers smiling and laughing like little kids as they chased each other away from the market.

Hae Soo couldn't help the giggle that escaped, forgetting she had company next to her.

"What is so funny?" Wook asks, entertained.

“I… just saw something out of the ordinary happening down in the market."

"You know, Hae Soo, I think we are more alike than we think."

"Why is that, Your Highness?" She asks, completely bewildered.

"We are both in love with people that are not the ones we have to marry."

Hae Soo is too shocked to form words, staring blankly at Wook.

He chuckles. "I will take that as confirmation of my theory."

Wook looks away from her back out into the distance and Hae Soo does the same.

"I see that look in your eyes, and I know. I know because that is how I look at the girl I love with all my heart."