Unconsciously, Unconditionally

Scintilla

Inspired by a prompt I found online! I hope this chapter is as good as the previous ones ^.^. 

For those who enjoyed my stargazing chapter and wanted a continuation of it, that story will be coming up soon, so please look out for it and support it when it's finally here.

Thank you, and happy reading <3


The only sound coming from the fairly small Seoul apartment was the whir of the—almost broken—fan.

Currently, two boys were sprawled out on the ground; dead to the world, while the two girls—their fellow roommates—were lying flat on the couch, heads at both ends and feet meeting in the middle.

"I can't live like this," Baek Ah groans from his spot and flips over facedown—his movement exactly like that of a fish out of water.

"You're not the only one, little brother." So currently had his arm placed over his face, flushed from the heat currently attacking them from all four walls.

"Why did we choose this place again?" Woo Hee asks, half delirious from the lack of oxygen, half from the zero amount of cool air.

"It was cheap," Ha Jin says exasperatedly, swatting at her face helplessly. "We really did not think about the consequences of a brick house. Especially in the summer time."

"I feel like death." So opens his eyes and stares up backwards at the girls on the couch above his head. He playfully pulls at Ha Jin's leg. "How are you guys not sweating? At times like these, I wish I was a girl."

"Be careful what you wish for," Ha Jin teases, lightly kicking his hand away.

"It's too hot for you guys to be flirting in front of me right now," Baek Ah says, a bit frustrated as he sits right in front of the single fan in the living room.

"WE'RE NOT FLIRTING!" So and Ha Jin argue at the same time, which goes unheard of by Baek Ah, who was currently pleased with finally being able to relieve some of the heat.

"Guys, guys." As always, they could count on Woo Hee to be the sane one in the group in any given situation. "Clearly, we're all a bit on edge because of this heat wave, so let's just all calm down."

Realizing that there was no longer cool air blowing past her, Woo Hee spots where Baek Ah was sitting.

"Hey! Move your away from the fan. You're hogging it all!"

Baek Ah doesn't move one inch.

"So much for staying calm," So says sarcastically.

Ha Jin's giggle automatically cuts off when Woo Hee turns around to glare at her.

Everyone's patience was running thin. Despite paying the rent on time—like all the times before, their electricity allowance was cut short for no reason. Even if their landlord could be a bit of a cheapskate, the four friends never expected for this to happen.

So suddenly gets up and goes to the fridge.

"What should we do? It's too early, and we can't stay this way waiting until nighttime when it's cooler." At Ha Jin's words, Baek Ah and Woo Hee begin to think of a solution to the offending heat.

"I know!" Baek Ah says at last.

"Oh no..." Hands over her face, Ha Jin prepares herself for another "great" plan.

"No. I promise it'll work this time."

"You said that about the last twenty ideas you had," Woo Hee states.

"I swear it'll wor—wait you kept count?" He smiles widely, while Woo Hee rolls her eyes.

"Just tell us what it is, Baek Ah." Ha Jin was trying her best to not strangle anyone at the moment.

Holding his hands up in defense, he finally says, "So you know how the landlord is on summer vacation right now with his family in Jejudo?"

Nods confirming this come from the two girls.

"Why don't we just go into his office and flip on the electricity for our apartment?"

Ha Jin disagrees with all her might. "What if we get caught?!"

"He's not here," Baek Ah says straightforwardly.

Chucking a pillow at him did nothing to help. "I mean...there could be cameras. Plus, it would be weird if only our apartment had an increase in electricity usage. The other apartmen—"

"Do you want to die being burned like a hot dog?" Baek Ah interrupts her rambling.

Woo Hee looks at him strangely. "What kind of metaphor—"

"I'm in." So finally returns with an ice cold water bottle pressed to his neck.

Ha Jin's eyes widen. "You're supposed to be the oldest one here! Please tell him this is a bad idea."

"Thanks for always having my back, Hyung!"

Ha Jin tries to convey how this could get them kicked out with her puppy dog eyes aimed at So.

It didn't work.

"It's only this once. Even if it's a stupid—"

"Hey! I'm taking my appreciation comment back!"

"—idea, we have no other choice. We definitely can not sit this one out."

They both had a point, but the girls were still skeptical.

As a last resort, Ha Jin blurts out, "His office will obviously be locked."

"I know how to pick it."

All eyes turn to So, unblinkingly, until his brother claps enthusiastically.

"See?! Perfect plan."

"Remember when we signed the lease and we all promised to never go down without each other? Yeah...I didn't mean prison."

"Come on, Ha Jin-ah. Pleaseeeeeee." Now it was Baek Ah's turn to give her the puppy dog eyes.

Looking at Woo Hee desperately, pleading, all Ha Jin gets is a shrug.

Great, all my friends are on board this crazy train.

Looking lastly at So, he only grins at her. Now that was fatal. She never said no when he smiled like that.

Curse good-looking people, she thinks bitterly.

"Fine. Fine. Let's just get this over with."

"YES!" Baek Ah drags Woo Hee out first, leaving Ha Jin and So still standing in the room.

"DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE THE ROOM IS?" So shouts at their friends, who were probably running down the corridor already.

"Aish. This kid."

Ha Jin punches him with her tiny fists. "You were supposed to convince your brother it was a bad idea! Now we're all going to have criminal records before the age of thirty."

He leans down close to her face, causing her to move a bit back unless she wanted to bump foreheads.

And she would never admit it, but looking into his eyes was the equivalent of force-feeding herself a bowl of peppers; turning red was not a good sign.

"You don't believe we can pull it off?"

If he didn't move back, she didn't think any words would be left in her vocabulary; making her incapable of speech.

She shakes her head, trying to remain stoic. Ha Jin fails miserably as his hand goes forwards.

Her eyes widen as he puts his hand on her head.

"Got it!" He takes the bobby pin from her hair. "We'll need this later for the lock." He straightens back up away from her.

At least I didn't make a fool of myself.

Quickly walking away towards the apartment's door that Baek Ah had left open earlier, So suddenly calls her back.

He couldn't tell, could he?

She had kept her feelings under wraps for four years, and she didn't plan on ever revealing them. Slowly turning around, she conforms her face to look neutral.

He kneels in front of her.

"What are you doing?"

So begins to tie her shoelaces, neatly and tightly.

How'd I not notice they were untied all morning? Oh right, the heat and losing part of my soul along with it.

"We can't have you tripping during our escapade now, can we?"

Grabbing her hand, he pulls her down the hall after closing their apartment door behind them both.

Just by those small gestures alone, Ha Jin was touched more than that acceptable of a friendly nature.

 

~~~

 

"Are you sure you've never been a criminal?"

Click.

Baek Ah eyes his older brother suspiciously as the landlord's door unlocks easily, swinging back on creaky hinges.

"You've lived with me for the past 26 years," So points out.

"Hmm. Still, when did you even learn?" Baek Ah rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"I guess you'll never know." So shrugs and barges into the room like it was his.

Baek Ah follows suit, while the girls slowly drag their feet after the brothers.

"Wow. He's too cheap to even get cameras." So glances around at the desolate room, barely filled with decent furniture.

"Makes this easier for us then." Baek Ah rubs his hands together, an expression akin to evilness spread across his face.

"Can you guys just hurry up? I don't know when someone will decide to show up." As Woo Hee had the quickest and sharpest eye out of them all, she was in charge of lookout.

"Here, I'll help." Ha Jin begins to scan the room, looking here and there.

"I didn't expect you to join in on this." So ruffles her hair affectionately.

Blowing the strands of hair away from her face, she glares up at him. "The sooner we get this done, the better the chances of us not getting a court sentence."

"I found it!" Baek Ah triumphantly yells out, interrupting their banter.

His glad expression turned to that of glum as the panel revealed hundreds of switches.

"Well...I found it. Who wants to figure this out?" Looking around, Baek Ah is only met with the blank stares of his friends.

So moves forward. "Here, I'll try."

"Guys. I think I hear footsteps." No one heard Woo Hee as So, Ha Jin, and Baek Ah were all huddled around the switches with utmost concentration.

"There are rows of tiny writing here. Each pertain to the unit number..." Running his hands over each switch, So finally finds 26C, their apartment number.

"Guys! Someone is coming!" Woo Hee looks back at her friends frantically.

"Who's there?!" A voice booms down the corridor.

"We have to hide!" Wide-eyed, Woo Hee pulls her head back into the room, hidden from view of the doorway.

"Where on earth do we hide though?!" Baek Ah's hands moved faster the more flustered he got.

"You guys go ahead. I have to finish up here." So was surprisingly calm for a person about to get caught for breaking and entering.

Baek Ah hesitates before taking Woo Hee's hand and fleeing from the room after an affirming nod from his older brother.

"You too, Ha Jin. You shouldn't stay here."

So flips the switch and promptly closes up the electrical panel to make it seem like nothing had been tampered with.

"I'm not going anywhere. Whatever happens, we have to get through this together." She grabs his hand tightly.

A small smile appears on his face before he turns serious again. "Do you trust me?"

Ha Jin nods. "With my life."

"Then be prepared to run."

Pulling her faster than Ha Jin could register, So takes off out of the room and down the hall.

"You! Stop right there!"

"Don't look back!" Ha Jin warns. "He'll remember our faces."

She thinks she sees So nod, but it was hard to tell when they were sprinting so fast while keeping their heads straight. The footsteps come faster and louder as So leads her around a corner, never letting go of her hand.

A supply closet is in sight, and she tugs at his hand, pointing with her unoccupied one at the aforementioned room. They somehow manage to jump inside and hide as their chaser runs past. So, as well as herself, was breathing heavily from the intense chase.

"Aren't you glad I tightened your shoelaces this morning?"

Even in the pitch-black room, she could imagine the smirk that was for sure on his face. Hitting his arm lightly, she heads to the door to test the lock.

"This room doesn't lock." Before, she was relieved that they managed to escape in time, but now she couldn't say the same. What if—?

"I'm sure the person chasing us is not going to come ba—" Right as So reassures her, they hear loud footsteps again; a little too close for Ha Jin's liking.

The doorknob jiggles, and in a flash, So yanks her wrist, maneuvering both of them behind the door as it opens. Light streams into the room as their chaser looks around the dark space. So's back was against the wall, and Ha Jin was facing the door left ajar. None of them dared to even breathe.

If the situation was more favorable, Ha Jin would've realized how close she was standing to So. The door opens wider as the unknown person—a man—steps a little further in. On instinct, So pulls her closer, an arm wrapped across the area under her collarbones. Ha Jin shuts her eyes tightly. Her lung capacity was running out. How long did they hold their breaths? She silently prays they wouldn't be found out.

Suddenly, the room is dark again with a click of the door, and a curse mumbled on the other side. Even as the retreating footsteps grew fainter and fainter, Ha Jin couldn't bear to open her eyes or breathe. Not until So started talking, did she let out the breath she had been holding all along.

"Are you ok?"

"I will be when we get back to our unit safely."

"Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you."

 

~~~

 

Upon returning back to their apartment, So and Ha Jin were greeted with outbursts from Baek Ah and Woo Hee.

"We were worried sick! What happened to you guys?" Woo Hee walked over to give Ha Jin a hug.

"Someone was chasing us, but we managed to not get caught. Thanks to So."

"I'm glad you're back hyung!" Baek Ah claps his brother on the back while pretending to wipe away tears.

"It's going to take a lot more than that to capture someone like me." At So's egotistical remark, Ha Jin scoffs.

Baek Ah subtly points at something, earning an elbow to the side from Woo Hee. Ha Jin shrugs it off initially, that is, until she follows Baek Ah's line of sight.

Looking down, she sees what had caught his attention. Her hand was still intertwined with So's. He must've noticed at the same because they simultaneously separate their hands. Thankfully, Woo Hee starts talking about something else, and the focus was shifted elsewhere.

"I was thinking that if we turned all the lights off and the useless fan we have on, then we could balance out the amount of energy that's used. The landlord won't notice when he comes back that our usage spiked unusually."

"That sounds plausible, but what are we going to do in the dark?" So looked as if nothing had happened, and Ha Jin acknowledges that she's a fool for thinking there could be something between them—for missing the feel of his hand in hers.

He doesn't feel the same, you stupid girl.

"Ha Jin...Ha Jin...Ha Jin-ah!"

Her head snaps up at Woo Hee's calling. Everyone was looking at her with concern.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"No, sorry. I guessed I spaced out for a second." Ha Jin sheepishly smiles at Woo Hee.

"I was just asking what you wanted to do. Seems like watching a movie is the frontrunner."

"Yeah. That's fine. I'm okay with whatever you guys want to do."

Woo Hee looks at her friend for a while, confusion written on her face before turning away. "A movie it is!"

"I'll go make the snacks and get some drinks." Baek Ah heads to the kitchen, turning the fan off on his way.

"I'll go get the blankets and pillows from upstairs." As Ha Jin walked away, she could feel So's stare boring into the back of her head.

 

~~~

 

If Woo Hee noticed her strange behavior, it seemed like she chose not to say anything. Ha Jin had been avoiding So since they got back. For what, she doesn't quite know herself. She feels his eyes on her occasionally, but tries her best to ignore it. He could read her like an open book—even better than Woo Hee.

Ha Jin distracts and distances herself by setting up for their "home theatre," placing the blankets she had previously gotten down on their carpet—neatly and accordingly. The small table she set aside for their snacks was quickly filled with multiple bowls and drinks of various kinds, courtesy of Baek Ah.

"Woah. I didn't know you had it in you to make all this." Baek Ah looked mildly insulted as she pointed to the food and drinks in front of her.

"You'd be surprised. I can't only be good at just art. I won't allow myself to be that talentless." Baek Ah crumples his face in disgust.

Ha Jin laughs. Baek Ah could always cheer her up—even unknowingly and unintentionally—with his goofy antics.

"You should probably switch all the lights off. We wasted a lot making the food and using the lights since we got back." Ha Jin points above her head at the bright lights still on, reminding Baek Ah of what Woo Hee had suggested earlier.

"Ah. That's right. I'll be back." Baek Ah walks away, only to turn around again. "You can start the movie if you want. I'll go get Woo Hee and So hyung on my way."

Ha Jin nods, and when she sees that the blankets and pillows were laid out to her liking, she put in a random movie from the huge stash that had accumulated over the years.

She was quite excited and glad at the prospect. When they first got here, they would watch movies frequently—like they were about to do—in the dark whenever they all had some free time. As everyone got busier with work and other things, they hadn't had time to hang out like this—just the four of them. After today, Ha Jin knew everyone just needed to relax and forget about what could've gone wrong.

As the movie's preview starts, Baek Ah comes back with Woo Hee.

"I couldn't find hyung. His car is gone too." Baek Ah scratches his head in confusion. "I don't know where he went, but he isn't answering my text."

Ha Jin was a little disappointed. But it wasn't like she didn't act cold towards him for most of the day. "He'll be fine. He's old enough to take care of himself," Woo Hee jokes. "Let's watch first. Just us three while we wait."

Woo Hee plops down next to Ha Jin, and then Baek Ah next to Woo Hee. Being the tallest out of all of them, his feet go way past the blanket.

"I made popcorn for everyone!" Baek Ah begins handing bowls of popcorn down the line.

"This is a lot!" Woo Hee looks into the bowl with surprise.

"The bowl is bigger than my face..." Covering the bowl with her face, Ha Jin indeed proved the comparison to be true. At the ridiculousness of it all, Woo Hee and Baek Ah chuckle.

"Shhhh. The movie is starting now!" Baek Ah excitedly lies down; an arm propped up to support his head. His bowl of popcorn was placed next to his head. In other words, he could eat it without using his hands. The girls don't even question it. He had done the same for the past four years every time they hung out.

Further into the movie, the amount of popcorn and soda slowly disappears little by little. Still, there was no sign of So, and Ha Jin was starting to miss him. Shaking her head, she refocuses all her attention on the T.V. screen, popcorn constantly being put into .

At one point, she notices that both her friends were snoring quietly. Ha Jin smiles to herself.

They always sleep when we watch movies.

Suddenly, the door opens and she hears car keys. There was a rustling of a plastic bag, and before she could set her popcorn aside and pretend to be asleep, So walks into the living room. He stops short at the sight of his friends all collapsed on the floor without any lights.

Ha Jin could've sworn he had gone to the market, but since it was so dark, she didn't know if he had bought anything. Not meeting his gaze, she stares dead straight at the scene currently playing.

So sighs loudly. Ha Jin doesn't notice it, but he squats in front of her when she wasn't paying attention to his movements.The T.V. screen was replaced with his face in her field of vision. Startled, she jumps and popcorn flies everywhere.

"You scared me! What are you doing?" Even if she was avoiding him, she couldn't run away from this confrontation.

"There's something wrong. You've been acting strangely all morning." Always getting straight to the point. He studies her face carefully, and she grows conscious.

"Nothing is wrong." Her tone was impartial and not giving anything away.

"Don't lie to me. I'm your best friend. You know you can tell me."

That's exactly it. You only see me as a friend. How can I tell you? How do I tell you?

When she doesn't answer, he sits down cross-legged instead. "I'm not moving until you tell me."

Ha Jin moves her head this way and that, trying to look at the screen. She moves her head to the right, and he moves his head to the left. She moves it to the left, and he moves to the right—always mirroring her and blocking. Despite herself, she laughs.

"Ah. That's the smile I wanted to see." He gives her a crooked smile, and she has to shut her heart down.

He hands her ice cream, rice cakes, and kimbap out of nowhere.

"What's this for?" She eyes all of her favorites in her hands.

"You seemed mad at me. I don't know what I did, but whenever I buy these things, you forgive me. So..." He pushes the gifts toward hers.

Why are you making it so hard for me to give you up?

"I'm not mad at you." She starts eating the things he just bought.

So chuckles, but turns serious again. "You can tell me, you know."

"Of course. You'd be the first person I tell if anything is wrong."

"Even before Woo Hee?"

"Even before Woo Hee," Ha Jin confirms.

They sit in silence, eating and watching.

A short moment later, So turns to her. "It's a boy, isn't it? The one that has you all distracted."

She hurls handfuls of popcorn at him.

"Aha! So it is a boy." So smirks triumphantly, but she sees disappointment flashing through his eyes before it's gone as if it was never even there.

"It's scary having you as a best friend. You can read my thoughts." Ha Jin pouts.

So pokes her cheek. "He must be very special. You've never acted this way before."

"He is."

"I hope he's worth it. I want only the best for you," So says while looking into her eyes, dead serious.

He's definitely worth it, because he's you. But, he's someone I can never have.

 

~~~

 

Ha Jin doesn't quite remember what happened afterwards, but somehow her and So ended up having a popcorn fight. Well, more like an anything-they-could-find-to-throw-at-each-other fight.

The once neat movie setup looked like a tornado had just passed through. Bits of food were scattered on the floor and in their hair, while all the pillows and blankets were in disarray. Miraculously, Baek Ah and Woo Hee slept through it all.

When all of their energy was used up, they both fell backwards onto their respective pillows, laughing.

"We can't wake them up." Ha Jin points towards their friends, who had minimized the distance between each other unconsciously.

"Ok, then stop talking." So teases Ha Jin, which gets him a smack to the head.

She sits up, back against the couch, glaring down at him. So laughs at the expression on her face. Glancing at the clock, it was already nearing midnight.

He scoots his head off his pillow and onto her lap.

"I didn't say you could use me as a pillow to lay on."

Whenever you do stuff like this, I can't tell what you're thinking or feeling.

His eyes were closed. "I got you food."

"Sureeeee. Because food solves everything," Ha Jin states dryly, crossing her arms.

"It solved you being mad at me."

"I'm not mad. I wasn't mad at you." On a whim, she brushes his hair out of his face. So showed no signs of moving away.

"I'm going to doze off. Sleep well, Ha Jin-ah."

"Goodnight...or morning. Sweet dreams."

So snuggles closer and falls asleep instantly. Ha Jin on the other hand, stays awake for a little bit longer, watching him.

Tell me—teach me—how to forget someone like you.

 

~~~

 

Click. Click. Click.

Hushed tones of talking fill Ha Jin's ears as her eyes slowly open, still sleepy.

Ugh. 2 A.M.

Baek Ah and Woo Hee had been awake for who knows how long, and was currently hovering over a phone, taking pictures.

"Just what are you guys up to now?"

Not expecting Ha Jin to be awake, both her friends jumped back, still managing to hold onto the phone.

"Ah...nothing!" Baek Ah and Woo Hee both say at the same time.

"I heard the camera shutter," Ha Jin argues.

"Well...in our defense, you both looked cute." Baek Ah snaps another photo.

Before Ha Jin could scold them both, So wakes up.

"Why are you guys so loud? I'm old. I need the sleep," So grumbles, but sits up nevertheless.

Ha Jin's legs fell asleep a long time ago, but she wasn't going to complain because it was for him.

"You're only 28," Woo Hee laughs.

"Same difference."

"Don't you guys remember what today is?" Baek Ah suddenly declares.

"No." So's deadpan tone throws Baek Ah off.

"Well," Baek Ah says sassily. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.... or the wrong side of Ha Jin's lap."

"Shut up. Just tell me what special day it is."

Ha Jin was beyond blushing at what Baek Ah had said, but So just looked grouchy for having been woken up from a good sleep.

"It's our 4 year friendversary!" Baek Ah looked extremely ecstatic.

"We should celebrate!" Woo Hee claps her hands, grinning from ear to ear.

"How?" Ha Jin asks, legs still asleep.

"Shots!" So and Baek Ah say at the same time.

"You guys are definitely brothers." Ha Jin watches as the two bump fists, their earlier bickering long forgotten.

"Soju sounds great. There's a place really close to here that's open 24/7." Woo Hee checks on her phone. "It's also free when three or more people come! Let's go!"

As everyone starts to head out, Baek Ah suddenly sees the mess on the floor.

"Hey, why is there so much food on our carpet and not in our mouths?"

"Ha Jin and I got scared during the horror movie," So lies to cover up their previous food fight. Baek Ah throws his hands up in exasperation.

"We were watching The Titantic!"

 

~~~

 

The small shot glasses clinked together, creating a louder sound than usual in the empty tent.

Each side of the table had a single line consisting of eighteen glasses filled to the brim with soju.

Overhead, So and Baek Ah were currently glaring each other down intensely as if it was a real drinking competition.

"Whoever drinks this in the shortest amount of time wins. Are you ready to lose, hyung?" Baek Ah wore a cocky smile as he raised an eyebrow at his brother.

"I'm not, because I'm going to win." So wasn't backing down either.

Somehow, Woo Hee ended up being the referee; while Ha Jin had her elbow on the table, chin resting on her hand. She was slightly tipsy already, both cheeks colored a light pink.

"This should be interesting." Ha Jin looks between the two brothers, both with one hand around their first glass in the line.

"3...2...1...Start!" Woo Hee raises her hand and moves it down, mimicking the movements of holding a flag.

In a flurry of clinking glasses, spilled soju, and empty bottles, the winner was soon decided.

"Who won?" Ha Jin asks Woo Hee quizzically.

"It's..." Baek Ah and So waited, both on the edge of their plastic stools. "...A tie."

"What?! No. I clearly won." Baek Ah's argument is cut off as Woo Hee turns her phone around to face him.

"I filmed the whole thing. You both finished your last glasses—and our last soju bottle—at the exact same time."

"Just accept that I'm finally a match for you, little brother." Ironically, So's head was currently down on the table.

Baek Ah shields his mouth with one hand as he leans towards the girls. "He's already starting to get drunk."

"I'm not drunk!" So's hand slams down on the table, barely missing the glasses.

"Says the lightweight," mumbles Baek Ah.

"I heard that!"

"You were supposed to!"

"Clearly, you're both drunk." Ha Jin points at the both of them.

So suddenly lifts his head. "And you're not?" A finger comes up to point drunkenly at the wrong person.

Woo Hee moves his finger towards Ha Jin's face. "Oh...And you're not?" So repeats his earlier question.

Ha Jin couldn't help the giggle that escaped at a drunk So. He was so cute.

What? Wow, I must already be tipsy. So isn't the only lightweight here.

Snapping out of it, she turns to Woo Hee, as So's head falls back onto the table with a thunk.

"Ouch. That's going to leave a bruise." Ha Jin slides her purse to prop his head up from direct contact with the table.

"You suggested we come here to drink, yet you haven't even had a single shot."

"I can handle alcohol better than all of you combined." Woo Hee sits back with arms folded across her chest.

"We'll see about that...Also, can someone wake hyung up. This celebration is only getting started."

Baek Ah hollers out to the owner.

"Ahjumma!"

"Ye?!"

"Six more bottles of soju at this table please!"

 

~~~

 

*5 bottles later*

 

Ha Jin only got tipsier, and her face, redder. "Ahjumma! Can I get a glass of ice cold water?"

"I told you I could handle it." Woo Hee sits proudly, drinking away comfortably.

"We may have tied, but it's obvious I hold my liquor better than hyung does." Baek Ah gestures to So, who was barely balancing on his chair.

An ice-cold glass of water comes to their table, and Ha Jin downs it quickly.

"Ahhh. Refreshing."

"Why are you drinking that instead of the soju?" Baek Ah asks as he tilts back another shot.

"Cold water helps to make me more awake. Plus, I didn't drink a lot, so in a little bit, I'll return to normal—close to normal again."

So turns in his seat to face her, staring at her without blinking.

"What now?" Woo Hee manages to get out between giggles.

So picks up his phone—upside down—and "dials" his brother. "Hey. There's this really pretty girl here. Do you think she'd give me her number if I asked?"

Baek Ah chuckles. "You already have her number, hyung."

"What a liar. I just saw her today. How is it possible to have her number if we've never met?"

Baek Ah holds in his laughter and plays along. "Alright. Alright. Why don't you go ask her then? I don't think it would hurt to try."

"I will. Stay on the line."

So doesn't even walk over, but grins so widely at Ha Jin that she automatically smiles back.

"She's even prettier when she smiles," So says fondly into his phone.

Baek Ah was now too busy laughing to continue playing along. Woo Hee had one hand over to suppress her amusement.

"Is this a confession?" Ha Jin asks jokingly.

Before he can answer, So nods off again.

"Man, I should bring hyung out to drink more. This is so entertaining." Baek Ah even goes as far as setting a reminder on his phone to do so.

"I think it's time we all head home." Contradictory to her words, Woo Hee seemed like she wanted to stay there longer.

"That's okay. You and Baek Ah go ahead and continue drinking. I can take So home." Ha Jin gets up and puts her purse on her shoulder.

"Are you sure you're okay to drive home?" Woo Hee asks tiredly.

"Yeah. I'm more than capable of driving. Have fun guys!"

Ha Jin drapes one of So's arm over her shoulder and wraps one of her arms around his waist, dragging the body much heavier than hers—with difficulty—towards her car.

 

~~~

 

*Meanwhile*

 

"How was my acting?" Woo Hee turns to Baek Ah.

"It was great! Very believable. I really thought you were upset about having to leave early. I can't believe we pulled it off." Baek Ah smiles proudly.

"I can't believe you had to drink all those bottles. How did you not pass out?" Woo Hee stands all of the—many—scattered soju bottles up in the middle of the table.

"Oh, please." Baek Ah dismisses it like it was no big deal. "I've lived with hyung for so long, I know him like the back of my hand. He's probably the fastest to get drunk on this earth."

"Well, whatever the case, we did much better than I hoped for." Woo Hee pats herself on the back.

Baek Ah props his face in his hands, elbows rested on the table. "Now...we wait for good news. If hyung acts like all the times he has in the past, then we're bound to have another couple in the apartment."

 

~~~

 

"Aish. Come on, we're home now." Ha Jin shakes So roughly, but he doesn't even wake.

Sighing, she realizes she has to drag him inside as well.

It was a miracle she got him from the street shop to the car. Now, she just has to make it from the car, up the elevator, past their unit door, and up the stairs. Great.

I need to work out more.

 

~~~

 

Fumbling for the keys in her purse while trying hard to not drop the person she liked on the ground, Ha Jin finally manages to unlock the door to their apartment.

At least the elevator ride was bearable, for she just let So sit on the floor. His head was bent the whole time. Although she felt bad, Ha Jin lost all the energy to be a saint.

With a kick, the door swings open and then closed again, as she drops So on their couch along with her purse.

Padding into the kitchen, Ha Jin gets a cold washcloth to lay it on his forehead, while she plops down on the floor next to him, keeping watch.

You really shouldn't drink. Your face is comparable to that of a tomato.

So wakes up a bit later, another wide grin breaking out on his face.

"Oh, Ha Jin-ah! So you were the pretty girl from the soju place. I guess I got her number after all."

"You're still on that topic?" She smiles softly back at him. "Here." She hands him an Advil and a glass of water. "This should lessen your headache tomorrow morning."

He takes it gratefully, seeming to wake up a bit. "Where are the others?"

"I told them to stay and enjoy the night while I took you back."

"Why didn't you stay with them?" So's eyes were closed, and the redness of his face was slowly decreasing.

"Someone had to drag you home."

He pulls her into a tight hug. "Thank you, Ha Jin-ah."

Her heart was beating without warning, and she tries to separate herself from his grip, but So doesn't let go.

Changing the subject, Ha Jin asks, "Are you really planning on sleeping here? You’ll wake up sore."

So murmurs quietly into her hair as he rests his head on hers. "I don't care where I'm sleeping. As long as it’s with you."

Too shocked for words, Ha Jin stays quiet, all the while staring with wide eyes over So's shoulder.

He's just drunk. He doesn't mean it.

She finally manages to disentangle herself, and now that So was more sober, he needed less support to get upstairs.

"Everything is spinning." So holds a hand to his temple.

"Well...you and Baek Ah did drink four bottles at maximum speed."

"Wow was I stupid."

Ha Jin laughs as they arrive at his room.

He lays down while she pulls a blanket over him. Turning the lights off, she walks back over to his bed to see that he was starting to fall asleep again.

As she turns to leave, So grabs onto her wrist. "Can you stay with me?"

Just the way he looked at her was enough to convince her to not go.

"You should get some sleep. I won't leave. I promise."

With that, he finally closes his eyes again, relaxed at last.

She gingerly sits on the edge of his bed. Even when he was fully asleep, he didn't let go of her hand.

When she least expected it, So opens his eyes again. "Ha Jin-ah."

"Yeah?"

"I like you. A lot. I know I'm not good with words or expressing how I feel, but I wanted you to know. I've liked you since the first day we met."

As So drifts off to sleep again, Ha Jin couldn't tell her heart to stop wavering. Drunken people always tell the truth, whether they want to or not.

So, she listens to her brain instead. He won't remember or feel this way tomorrow.

But like she had promised, she never left.

 

~~~

 

Harsh sunlight steams into the room, waking Ha Jin up.

For once, her head didn't hurt as much after drinking the previous night.

I hope Baek Ah and Woo Hee got home safely.

Feeling air on her face, she opens her eyes wider.

She was so close to So that their noses were almost touching. She could see every single one of his eyelashes. She doesn't know how she ended up in his arms, because she swore she was sitting watching him sleep last night. Yet, she can't find it in her to move away. So, she just stays there and watches him silently, knowing full well that she should leave before he wakes up to save them both the awkward talk and her heart from breaking.

But, as her luck would have it, So's eyes slowly flutter open, and he begins to stir. Flustered at their position, Ha Jin blurts out the first—and only reasonable—thing she could think of at the moment.

"You're awake. I'll go get you something for your hangover." She makes to get up, but he pulls her back down and into his arms once more; head against his chest.

"You're not going anywhere."

He leans down to kiss her forehead, and she feels his heart beating wildly behind his shirt, while knowing hers was about to explode. He’s sincere.

"Don't you dare think that what I said before wasn't true. Drunk or sober, from the bottom of my heart, I love you, Ha Jin-ah."

 


No copyright infringement intended. All references and inspirations are from the original writers/directors.