Sky Full of Stars

Scintilla

 

Credits to Daoine (Archive Of Our Own) and sorchid (my good friend on here) for some of the ideas that resulted in this oneshot. I think this might be one of my favorites so far. Maybe it's because of all the drama cliches I incorporated in here aha. 

Some readers on AO3 (Archive Of Our Own) wanted this to develop into a multi-chap fanfic with the same storyline. Please let me know what you guys think.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated and requests/prompts more so. 

Enjoy! <3

 


 

Bright sunlight streamed in through the wide-open blinds, giving the space an ethereal glow.

There was not a speck of dust in the elaborately, but stylishly, decorated room.

In front of a wall was neatly placed a brown wooden desk, along with a large, comfy, black leather chair. Atop the desk laid massive stacks of papers to be looked over and signed. Proudly sitting front and center on the desk was a black plaque.

CEO Wang So.

None other than he was seated in the leather chair, head laid against it, eyes closed, and lost deep in thought. The consistent spinning didn't help him come up with any solutions that seemed adequate.

So definitely could not buy his way out of this with money. Today had to be perfect—just for her.

God knows dealing with his girlfriend was more difficult than dealing with the corrupted businessmen he faced everyday.

Suddenly having a lightbulb moment, So scoots closer back to his desk to reach the intercom.

Pressing down on the button, he calls on Baek Ah.

"Hey, can you get me something?"

"Geez, hyung. I'm fine too. Thanks for asking."

Despite rolling his eyes, So smiles at his brother’s sarcastic tone.

"I really am asking for an important favor."

"Tell me who it's for first," Baek Ah teases over the line.

"You're more nosy than Eun. Plus, you already know who it's for."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Eun hyung is doing wonders in his own department; gets away with everything because he's nosy. And, of course I do. I just need you to say it."

"If I knew you'd be this annoying, I would've spoken to you over the phone." Ignoring Baek Ah's prodding, So sits back comfortably in his chair, legs casually thrown on the table.

"Fine. Fine. What do you need?"

"Flowers."

"Woah. I didn't expect you to be into that hyung."

"Don't forget I'm a black belt and that your office is just down the hall. You know it's for Ha Jin."

"Now was that so hard to say?"

"Just get me the flowers, Baek Ah."

"Ok. I'm done now. What kind, and how much do you want?"

So hears Baek Ah shuffle papers around followed by the clicking of a pen.

"A small bouquet with white peonies, red roses, and a few stems of baby breath scattered amidst it would do."

"Wow. This is so thought out." More scribbles were audible until Baek Ah scoots his chair back, wheels scraping against the wooden floor.

"This is why you're my favorite brother."

"As sweet as that is, you're always using the brother card to make me run errands," Baek Ah nags.

"I'm not. I'm using the CEO card," So states bluntly.

"Doesn't make it any better, you know."

"While you're at it, you can get something for Woo Hee too."

"I'm leaving now!" The intercom clicks off abruptly, and So chuckles to himself.

Why so nosy, but so shy with his own affairs?

 

~~~

 

Ding!

Pulling out her phone, Ha Jin sees that it was a text from So.

"I miss you."

Smiling to herself, she stares at the phone, typing, "You saw me yesterday, and I'm in the room just around the corner \^o^/."

Thankfully, it was only her and Woo Hee in the room. No superiors meant they weren't watched like hawks 24/7, or criticized for menial faults.

"What's got you smiling so broadly?" Woo Hee looks over the top of her computer screen at Ha Jin knowingly.

"Nothing," Ha Jin says, still smiling at her phone where another text had just arrived.

Doesn't mean I don't miss you right now.

"Sureeeee," Woo Hee draws out. "I'm going to get these papers signed."

Ha Jin throws a wave as her friend leaves—heels clacking on the floor, and a clipboard folder held to her chest.

Hmm, maybe I should surprise him.

With Woo Hee gone, and the building mostly empty as it was almost nighttime and employees had already left for the day, Ha Jin sneaks out of the room.

The only sounds heard echoing off the halls' walls were her footsteps.

Looking here and there for people who could see her, Ha Jin makes her way towards So's office with the grand wooden doors.

It wasn't as if the employees didn't know about their relationship. Well, some did—mostly his family.

The employees that did know—mainly girls—would throw her hateful looks. Woo Hee said they were just bitter that So didn't take an interest in them, but Ha Jin never liked boasting about favoritism. She didn't want the workers to think So was biased towards her either.

The least that knew the better. She could potentially be his weakness in this business full of lies and deceit. Some of these old men were more sly and dangerous than they looked, so she knew better.

Arriving at his office, Ha Jin pulls down on the gold-painted brass handles slowly to lessen the sound.

His office was quite dark and quiet as she stepped in. Ha Jin decides to leave the door open, allowing a slight sliver of light from the hallway to shine in. Tiptoeing lightly, she walks past the wide windows showing the silhouettes of skyscrapers towards his desk.

So was sitting with his head bent at an awkward angle, sleeping away peacefully.

You must've been really tired from all the work.

Glancing at his table, papers were scattered everywhere. His tie was loosened and his hair was all ruffled.

Fumbling her way around the room, she finds a blanket so she could drape it over him.

As it was hard to see, combined with her clumsy tendencies, Ha Jin trips on an extension cord and falls on So's lap instead.

"Omo!" Instinctively, she puts one arm around his neck to keep from falling. The other one was still holding onto the blanket.

Obviously, that woke So up. When his eyes had adjusted to the dark, he squinted at the person sitting on him.

"Ha Jin?" He rubbed his eyes confusedly.

"Surprise."

"That's not how it works," So chuckles sleepily as he wraps his arms around her and proceeds to fall asleep again.

"What if someone comes in and sees!" She tries to get out of his vice grip to no avail.

So opens his eyes again, leaning in closer. "What if they don't?"

Right before their lips meet, Ha Jin snaps out of it and pulls the blanket up between them—just enough to cover —with wide eyes.

So laughs, moving away.

"Stay professional!" She scolds, barely with any anger except for her cutely furrowed eyebrows.

When Ha Jin was sure So wouldn't act up again, she pulls the blanket down slowly.

So steals a kiss anyways.

Choosing that moment, Baek Ah strides in, typing away on his phone. With the door previously left open, they didn't hear the creak that signaled his entrance.

"Hey hyung. I got the flow—" Upon seeing the couple, Baek Ah screams and pulls the lapels of his blazer together to cover his eyes, phone still illuminating the dark space.

Ha Jin jumps off of So's lap and scrambles as far away from the desk as possible, looking horribly scandalized.

"I didn't hear anything. I didn't see anything," Baek Ah recites from behind his blazer.

"I'm just going to go." With that, Ha Jin speed walks out of the room, not even closing the door behind her.

"Me too. I need to wash my eyes."

So watches in amusement as his brother leaves after Ha Jin did, lapels still covering his eyes.

 

~~~

 

Completely embarrassed, Ha Jin heads back to her own office.

Crap. Woo Hee was already back.

"Where'd you go?"

"Oh...I was just in the bathroom." Walking back to her desk, Ha Jin hoped it was a decent lie.

"Ah, ok." Woo Hee goes back to typing away on her computer, while Ha Jin tries to cool her reddened cheeks.

"I'm almost done, so we can head home after to get ready for your date!"

"Oh my god, Woo Hee. I totally forgot!"

"Ha Jin-ah..." Woo Hee says exasperatedly. "How can you forget your two-year anniversary?!"

"We were both so busy it slipped my mind!"

"Aish. This girl. What am I supposed to do with you?"

"Help me get ready?" Ha Jin put on her best puppy face.

"Alright. But only because you're my best friend and roommate." Woo Hee sighs. "Seriously, what would you do without me? Don't forget next year!"

"I won't. I won't." Ha Jin puts her hands up defensively. "I feel terrible enough as it is."

"You should be," Woo Hee mutters as she packs up, Ha Jin doing the same.

"Hey!" Ha Jin pouts.

"I'm kidding. Honestly though, I don't know how you guys met but you shouldn't let him go. He's the only guy I'll approve of for you."

"He's the only one I've dated." I don't plan on ever giving him up.

"What about that guy who dated your best frie—" Woo Hee starts.

"We don't talk about that," Ha Jin interrupts.

Woo Hee looks down at her watch. "It's already 8. We better hurry. Didn't you say he'd pick you up at 9?"

Nodding, Ha Jin locks their office and heads down to the car lot with Woo Hee, both making small talk along the way.

 

~~~

 

"Now this is the life!" Woo Hee says as she flops down on her bed.

Ha Jin chuckles, standing in front of her closet.

Ding!

Dress warm! <3

"Was that him?"

"Yeah. He said to dress warmly."

Woo Hee taps her chin. "I wonder where he's taking you."

"I have no idea either."

Her friend suddenly springs up and rifles through her closet.

"Ya! I'm the one who has to clean this up," Ha Jin berates from the side.

Woo Hee quickly comes back out of the closet, outfit in hand.

"Here. Go put this on."

Following orders, Ha Jin heads to the bathroom and quickly changes into the outfit her friend picked.

Woo Hee didn't disappoint.

The outfit consisted of simple items thrown together. Her pants were black leggings, paired with a plain light pink shirt that had a lace hem. Over that, Woo Hee had picked a black leather jacket, and short black wedged boots completed the look.

"What do you think?" Ha Jin emerges from the bathroom.

"I am good." Woo Hee gives herself a pat on the back. "One more thing!"

A grey cross body bag is shoved towards Ha Jin. Woo Hee insisted it must go on her shoulder and not across her body like it was supposed to.

She thanked the stars for her friend as she sat in front of their shared vanity while Woo Hee touched up her makeup and did her hair.

As she looked at herself in the mirror, Ha Jin says, "I guess you're right. What would I do without you?"

Hugging Woo Hee tightly, Ha Jin suddenly feels butterflies in her stomach at the thought of her impending date.

Woo Hee flips her hair proudly. "Have fun! Don't worry so much."

Not a moment later, So rings the doorbell.

Woo Hee dashes out of the room first, then pops her head back in the doorway again.

"I'll talk to him. You go ahead and finish getting ready."

"Don't scare him away!" Ha Jin shouts after her fleeing friend.

Looking one last time in the mirror, she gives herself a nod and heads downstairs.

So didn't look too horrified.

I guess Woo Hee went easy.

Seeing her face, he smiles and holds out a bouquet of beautiful flowers—including her favorite, peonies.

He was dressed warmly too, but you could tell he came from a rich family. She forgot sometimes because he didn't like showing off his wealth—especially in regards to clothing.

His earlier ruffled hair was styled neatly this time. Ha Jin secretly liked it better that way because she could see his face better.

Making way for Ha Jin, Woo Hee steps aside, but still holds the door open.

She accepts the flowers, smiling instantly as she smelled the airy fragrance.

"Thanks."

"Are you guys just going to look at each other like that while smiling the whole night?" Woo Hee teases.

So laughs and Ha Jin throws her friend a look. Woo Hee shrugs.

Ha Jin grabs So's hand and drags him away, handing the flowers off to her friend.

Turning around, Ha Jin yells, "I'll be back later!"

"...Or not!" Woo Hee replies, and locks the door.

"Your friend....is something else," So says as he opens the car door for her.

"That she is."

 

~~~

 

"Where are we going that we need to get on a train?"

After parking his car at the train station, So had taken a basket of some sort out of his trunk. She thought they were going to be having a picnic, but he insisted that it wouldn't be what she expected.

"You'll find out soon." So throws a wink at her.

They find a nice seat way in the back. In general, it was very empty, save for a few people.

There was something about trains that calmed her. Maybe it was the atmosphere or the well-cushioned seats, but it was a great mode of transportation nevertheless.

"Are you tired?" So asks.

Shaking her head, she smiles up at him.

"It'll be a two hour long trip, so if you need to fall asleep, go ahead."

"You'll be lonely then," Ha Jin jokes.

"I can just watch you sleep," So retorts.

"I never win," she admits, causing him to laugh.

As the train went on it's way, the silence and motion slowly lulled Ha Jin to sleep.

So felt a weight on his shoulder, and sure enough his girlfriend had fallen asleep when he looked over. He brushes the hair out of her face and tries to sit still so as not to wake her up.

He was wide awake, while she snored quietly beside him.

Two students suddenly boarded the train last minute, and sat at an angle to his and Ha Jin's spot.

At first glance they looked like friends or just regular classmates, but So knew something was going on.

The boy's nametag read "Choi Soo Hyuk" and the girl's was "Ahn Na Ri."

Observing them, he sees Na Ri shivering as her school uniform wasn't thick enough to block the cold night air. She rubs her hands together to keep warm, although it did little to help.

While Soo Hyuk had looked out of the window earlier, once he noticed Na Ri's predicament, he turned his attention on her.

Suddenly taking both of her hands, he blows hot air on them and then takes her hand and puts it in his jacket’s pocket to keep warm.

Soo Hyuk looked back out of the window as if nothing had happened. All the while Na Ri was blushing furiously and trying to hide her face with her hair. So didn't miss the smirk that showed on Soo Hyuk's face without Na Ri's knowledge.

They reminded him of himself and Ha Jin.

Looking back, he wraps an arm around Ha Jin's sleeping form, and looks at her closely.

I'll always be the lucky one.

He lays his head lightly on hers, and falls asleep as well.

Before he drifts off, So thinks to himself how great it would be to wake up to this sight every morning; her in his arms.

 

~~~

 

Waking up, Ha Jin realized she had had the best nap of her life. Stirring, she notices that there was something heavy on her head.

Slowly lifting her face, she comes to see So’s closed eyes; sleeping. His arm was wrapped tightly around her, not letting go even if he wasn't awake at the moment.

She checks her watch, the hands showing that it was 10:50. They should be stopping soon.

She curls her legs up to her chest and lifts her hand to trace the sharp features of his face. Starting from his long lashes, she traces over his straight, high nose, and then stops at his lips. She lifts her head slightly and places a small kiss. Luckily, So doesn't wake and she could admire him a little longer.

When Woo Hee first suspected Ha Jin was dating someone, she brushed it off. Her friend wouldn't let up though, and pestered until Ha Jin told everything. Everything. Seeing his picture for the first time, Woo Hee was more surprised with his looks than his wealth and status.

Looking at him now, Ha Jin could relate completely with Woo Hee.

 

~~~

 

"So....wake up."

His eyes fluttered open, and then he smiled at her, pulling her closer—an act she found incredibly endearing.

"I want to stay like this a while more."

"We really have to get off. Otherwise they will kick us off." She shakes him lightly and when he finally came to, they alight the train.

Once they stepped foot on ground again, Ha Jin laces her fingers through his and they walk on in a comfortable silence.

In the distance, grass plains stretched as far as the eye could see. Hills were apparent in the distance as well, even if Ha Jin could only tell them by their looming shapes.

"Will you tell me where we are now?"

"We're on the outskirts of Seoul. It's more rural here; more peaceful."

So leads her to an empty spot on one of the vast grassy areas and takes a blanket out from his basket, laying it down.

Next come two pillows, and another thicker blanket.

He sits down, and pats the space next to him. She follows, finally having an idea as to what their date was.

"I know how much you like stars, so let's just stargaze until the sun comes up. Together—side by side."

Ha Jin was touched. It was one of the first things she told him when they started dating. She would love to watch the stars, away from the light pollution that prevented its real beauty from showing through in the city sky.

 

Ha Jin puts his arm out and uses it as a pillow instead of the one he put out. Holding his hand that was rested near her shoulder, she scoots closer. Both of their eyes were lost in the night sky above.

Shifting his position to be more comfortable, they both start talking about nothing and everything.

"What'd you think of me when we first met?"

She didn't have to think twice before answering. "I thought you were scary...well more intimidating in a business sense. Yet, you were really good looking and your hardworking attitude was to be respected. I had no doubts that you wouldn't do what's best for the company."

So nods his head, agreeing. "Not bad. I thought it would be worse." He chuckles. "We couldn't stand each other at first."

She laughs too. "I guess it’s true that opposites are bound to attract. Now, it’s your turn. What'd you think of me then?"

"Well, you were very stubborn and not afraid to speak your mind. I found it annoying at first, but as time went on, I thought it to be quite interesting."

"That's actually very honest."

"When have I been untruthful?" He pokes her cheek.

"You're right. Ok. Next question!"

So laughs before asking, "What do you know about Woo Hee's feelings towards Baek Ah?"

"Hmm. I'm not supposed to talk about this so openly but I'm sure there's definitely something there. She won't admit it to me, but I see the way she acts around him."

"Same goes with Baek Ah. He gets flustered at the mere mention of her name. I might not be able to read my other brothers' thoughts, but I can Baek Ah's. I think he likes her."

"Follow up question." Ha Jin puts a pointer finger up. "Should we play matchmakers?"

"For sure. Why'd you think I brought it up?" So says like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I like the way you think Wang So-sshi." She holds her hand up for a high-five.

"I just like you, Ha Jin-sshi." He doesn't high five her, but kisses her palm instead.

She was glad it was too dark to see her blushing face. It's been two years, and nothing he does will never not affect her.

"Last question!" Ha Jin blurts. "Can you name those stars?" She points, indicating her aforementioned inquiry.

"Of course." So points the stars in order as he lists off Cassiopeia, Polaris, and the Little and Big Dippers. "That last one is Pesus."

Ha Jin bursts out laughing uncontrollably. "Pesus?!" She clutches her stomach; hurting from laughing too much.

"What? It's Pesus!" So argues.

Through fits of laughter, Ha Jin enunciates, "Pe.ga.sus. Not Pesus. Pegasus."

"I thought it was Pesus this whole time!"

Ha Jin continues to laugh, despite So's confusion.

When she finally manages to stop, she mocks him. "Pesus."

So retracts his arm pillow and tickles her relentlessly, which only resulted in another onslaught of contagious laughter.

He laughs along with her, resulting in shrills being the only distinct sound in the empty plains.

If we can spend everyday just like this, then I can't wait until the day where So is the home that I come to.

 


No copyright infringement intended. All references and inspirations are from the original writers/directors.