With All My Heart Pt.1

Scintilla

I feel so guilty that it’s been a month since I last updated, but apparently AP classes means that you have no free time whatsoever.

T.T

I am trying my hardest to manage everything at once and so, I am back again with another update. This is a longggg oneshot and that's why it'll be divided into parts. How many, I do not know yet.

Before, I have updated weekly, but with school and all, my schedule will be off pretty often from now on.

Once again, I am very sorry for the late update, but I do hope that you will enjoy this story. <3

 


 

"Hyungnim, it is with a sincere heart that I congratulate you on becoming a Sungkyunkwan scholar. You are one of us now." Baek Ah bows to his brother, smiling vibrantly.

"Thank you, Baek Ah. I have much to learn from you and the rest."

"Ah, that I can tell," Baek Ah feigns disappointment.

"Just because you were here longer does not make you smarter," Wang So teases good-naturedly.

"It doe—"

Before the two brothers could continue their usual bickering, a court lady walks up, head down and eyes not meeting theirs; not allowed to.

"My lords. The king wishes to see both of you."

"Us? Whatever for?" Wang So questions. He doesn't know why the king would need his presence—he was but another noble figure among the many other important ones.

"His Majesty specifically asked that everyone who is in the palace right now make an appearance in the main palace, for he has an important announcement." With another low bow, the court lady leaves.

"What do you think the king wants—needs—us to hear so urgently?" Baek Ah straightens out his gat and dark blue robes.

"I guess we will have to find out. But, why do I suddenly feel uneasy, Baek Ah?" So looks at his brother, mildly apprehensive—eyebrows knitted together.

"Your intuition has never been wrong, hyungnim. For once, I hope it is." Baek Ah pats his brother on the back. "Do not worry. Now, we better get going before the king sends guards to flog us."

Laughing at Baek Ah's efforts to ease the tension, So's brain was a whole different world of thought.

As they walk step-by-step, shoes crunching on the dried grass, Wang So couldn't help the queasy feeling that was settling over his stomach.

 

~~~

 

The grand palace gates were thrown open, nobles and court ladies filing into the room endlessly. None of the royals were seen just yet, but of course, the king.

Baek Ah and Wang So make their way to the back of the room on the left wing with the other scholars.

The king sat upon his throne, looking every bit the regal man that he was. His dragon robe was splayed out neatly, not a single wrinkle in sight. As always, the king remained stoic, no signs of joy or sorrow evident.

So couldn't tell what he was thinking, despite reading faces well.

The queen and other princesses entered in last, making a grand show which wasn't necessary at all. Soon, tea was served to everyone, but the king had yet to make his announcement. Two guards had barred the gates closed and now everyone sat in silence; waiting.

"Now, I know what you all may be wondering. Do not fret, because soon, everything will be revealed."

Murmurs suddenly erupt in the room.

"Hyungnim," Baek Ah whispers, anxiously. "This does not sound like good news."

Before So could reply, the king holds his hand up and it becomes quiet again as an unfamiliar face walks out from behind the multitude of pillars.

At first glance, So thought he looked intelligent, composed, and was quite handsome. Though he didn't know what this man was doing here, the odd feeling in his stomach arises again.

"Everyone. This is my son, Prince Wook, who has traveled from far away to be here with us today." The king holds out his hand, indicating towards said person. Wook gives a stiff bow to everyone present.

Elbowing So, Baek Ah leans in to undertone, "I heard he is very ambitious. At least, that is what the rumors say."

"You all must be perplexed as to why I called upon this meeting." The king pauses in his speech, almost as if to give it a moment of suspense. "I have decided that a wedding is much needed in the palace."

Hushed whispers float around the room, while So casually sips at his tea; royal weddings nothing new to him.

"As I am getting old, I would like it if I could see my grandchildren before..." The king trails off. "Ah...it is a special announcement. I should not be saying these things." He chuckles sadly. "Wook is one of my most capable sons, and I trust that he would love his future wife and his subjects—when the time comes—all the same."

Before the king could go on, a eunuch announces outside the closed doors, "Lady Hae is entering!"

The doors creak open heavily, and Lady Hae walks down the middle of the room—between all the nobles—towards the front.

So looks up, only in time to catch the back of Lady Hae. Half of her hair was neatly plaited and pinned up, while the rest was left to cascade down the back. She was quite a vision in her hanbok; light pink silk with purple linings and embroidered flowers. Somehow, she reminded him of a certain person....

The queen looked quite displeased in her seat beside the king. Trying—but failing—to hide her contempt, the queen looks anywhere else but at the girl who just entered the room.

Lady Hae turns around and faces the crowd. Her eyes scan the room and when it lands on So, they unmistakably widen.

"My son Wook will be getting married to Lady Hae Soo by the end of this year, as advised by the auspicious date determined by Astronomer Choi Ji Mong."

The king looked more than happy, although So was anything but. His eyes remained on Hae Soo's until the king had confirmed what he already suspected.

Not quite believing what was happening, Wang So's sleeve manages to knock over his teacup, spilling steaming liquid onto his new robes. ome other ministers and nobles who noticed looked over with scorn. Baek Ah helps to wipe some of the tea off. "What is wrong?" his brother's eyes seemed to say.

There was so much that was wrong. Today was supposed to be a great day. He was going to celebrate his achievements with Baek Ah, and finally tell Hae Soo how he felt—how he really felt about her. On such a nice day like this, the person he loved—quietly and in secret—was getting married to another man; someone he couldn't compare to in terms of familial relationship or status.

Is this a sign that I should give up on you; the one that I'm not worthy enough of loving?

 

•••

 

"Agassi! Please slow down!" Chae Ryung's cries were being ignored, as her lady walked briskly, straight out of the palace. Huffing, she gathers up her skirt and runs after Hae Soo. It was unladylike, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

"My lady, what is wrong?" Frankly, Chae Ryung thought that she would get a whipping for potentially losing the king's soon to be daughter in-law. Immediately, she grabs onto Hae Soo's arm to keep her from getting away.

"Everything, Chae Ryung-ya. I did not agree to this marriage, but you know how the king is. He always gets what he seeks out. I do not want anything to hinder all the hard work my father has put into obtaining the high position he has today; not after everything he's done for me. The same goes for my mother. This is the least I could do for her to have an even better life."

"But, agassi," Chae Ryung reasons. "Is not this the life everyone wishes they could live?" She looks into her lady's eyes encouragingly, sparkling with happiness.

"You are right..." Hae Soo begins, as Chae Ryung smiles even wider—if possible. "That is exactly it. This is not the life I want —or thought I wanted. It is what everyone else wants for me." Chae Ryung's wide grin drops.

"Do you not like Prince Wook?"

"That is not it. I barely know him; who am I to judge his character?"

"Then what is the reason you cannot go forward with this marriage? You are doing this for your family, and you do not hate your betrothed. What is missing, my lady?"

"Love, Chae Ryung-ah. I cannot marry someone I never gave my heart away to."

At that, Chae Ryung slowly lets go of the arm she was holding. That was more than enough of a reason than she needed to see why Hae Soo adamantly refuses the marriage.

Her lady walks away once more, her gait filled with hopelessness and regret as she disappears among the crowd of subjects milling about the street market.

With all my heart, I am in love with someone else. 

 

 

•••

 

"Hyungnim, please stop drinking…" Baek Ah tries to yank the bottle of rice wine away to no avail. For a scholar, his brother sure had a strong grip.

"You have been acting this way ever since the marriage announcement." Eyeing So with unease, the younger brother sighs and pours himself a bowl to drink as well.

Wang So's gat was displaced on his head; bent weirdly from its usually neat and proper appearance.

He remains silently as Baek Ah looks upon him with pity.

"Do not look at me like that."

"I am worried about you."

So proceeds to tilt back his head and consume more rice wine straight from the bottle. "Why would you be?"  

Baek Ah finally manages to take the bottle from his brother; only to realize that its contents were nonexistent. Throwing it carelessly to the side, he turns serious again. "How can I not? You know that she will have to come to the palace more often now, and that means you will inevitably see her sooner or later." Quietly, he adds, "Especially with the king and Prince Wook."  

Wang So pounds at his chest, right over his heart. Drunkenly, he reveals his innermost turmoil to Baek Ah—the only one who would understand. "Why does it hurt so badly, right here? You argued that you were the smarter one earlier. Tell me how to make it go away."

All Baek Ah saw in his brother's eyes were desolation and agony. He prepares an adequate answer in his brain, but no words come out when he tries to speak. After a moment, he regains his train of thought and answers with the only rational idea he could come up with. "For your sake, please give up on her."

"Do you think I have not thought about that? I know I should, but I can not; no matter how hard I try."

Baek Ah watches on forlornly as his brother’s head hits the table.

 

 

•••

 

The miniature hanging lanterns swinging from their lines between the trees calmed her. Walking below the ethereal lights brought her to a happier place—one that only existed in the deepest part of her mind.

Sounds of chatter, footsteps, and vendors urging people to buy from their stands filled Hae Soo's ears.

Even if the market hadn’t been her intended destination, there would be no problem with just looking around for a bit.

As she walks past a hanbok shop, the vendor calls out to her. "Agassi! Would you like to take a look?"

Despite having more than enough clothing to count, Hae Soo steps lightly into the small, but cozy shop.Looking around, it seemed best fitting for nobles. Rolls of silk hung on the walls, while a few of the owner's designs were pinned up.

"This is a very nice shop, halmeoni." And it was the truth. She could just spend the whole day in this place without getting bored or having to worry about difficult matters.

"That means a lot coming from you, Agassi," the kind old lady smiles at her. Gesturing to a small wooden table in front of her, the woman begins to sift through a vast amount of norigae.

"These are beautiful..." Hae Soo looks on in awe as she picks up a lavender one with a butterfly charm.

"I would like to gift you one, free of charge, my lady."

"I cannot possibly take this," Hae Soo says, surprised.

"Just by looking at you, I can see that you have had a tough day. I dare to ask, but am I wrong?"

Hae Soo shakes her head, looking down at the butterfly norigae she picked up earlier. The old lady grabs her hands and places a different one in her palms, causing her to look up.

"Everything will work out eventually." Patting her hands, the owner walks out from behind the table.  

"I cannot tak—" Hae Soo repeats, calling out to a retreating back.

As her eyes travel back down to the norigae the owner specially picked out, her chest tightens and coils.

How is it possible to be this same exact one?

At the end of a light pink loop, two light pink flowers—the bottom being connected to three other flowers; lavender, yellow, and seafoam—met, forming a diamond shape, leading to three long tassels to finish off the ornament.

Hae Soo runs her fingers through the soft pink, yellow, and seafoam tassels. Everything, from the pastel colors, to the design, to the maedeup—it was all the same.

Right at that moment, the owner comes back with paper to wrap the norigae.

"Really, I would like you to have it. It brings good luck, my lady."

Refusing no further, Hae Soo bows low, and shows her gratitude profusely. "You do not know how much this means to me, halmeoni. I hope that your kindness will bring upon you all things good that life has to offer." With one last bow, Hae Soo exits the small shop—half of her heart heavy, and the other more than thankful.

Holding onto her gift tightly, she continues walking through the market to make her way home as the moon faintly shines above against the darkening night sky.

 

 

•••

 

"Come on, just a little bit further..." Baek Ah drops So onto his bedding, exhausted at having to drag an unconscious body back to their hanok.

"How should I help you, So-hyungnim?"

Pulling the blankets over his emotionally drained brother, Baek Ah throws one last glance at Wang So before stepping out and sliding the rice paper lined doors closed.

So's eyes open the moment the wooden doors are back in place.

Of course, he felt awful for having avoided his brother that way. But, what was he supposed to do? He did not understand what he was feeling himself, so how could he bear to bring it up to Baek Ah? One of them losing their usual vibrancy was enough for the household; better him than Baek Ah.

Turning onto his left side, away from the door, So sees million of stars apparent outside his window. Reaching under his pillow, he pulls out a hairpin and raises it up to the moonlight streaming in.

He feels the surface of the white magnolia lotus peony flower, moving towards the green leaves, then the red berries, to the purple butterfly, and finally down to the silver-plated hair prongs, etched intricately.

Wang So holds it tightly in his hands as he closes his eyes, willing sleep to come as the memories resurface without his consent.

If you want to help me Baek Ah, then find a way for my mind—my heart—to forget. 

 

 

•••

 

Upon arriving back home, Hae Soo sees her parents and Chae Ryung preparing dinner—to congratulate her on the marriage, most likely.

Just one look at her face, and they knew that nothing was okay.

"Agass—" Chae Ryung starts as Hae Soo cuts her off.

"Mother, Father, I will be in my room." Heading straight to her part of their home, Hae Soo glides the wooden doors closed and gradually sits down on the ground, back against the wall.

Unwrapping the norigae she just received from the kindhearted woman, Hae Soo studies it closely before pulling another one exactly like it out from her jewelry box.

Knock knock. 

"Soo-ya..." Her mother's soft voice flitters through the rice paper.

She doesn't answer; doesn't know how.

"If you need anything, just know that I will always be here to listen."

The pattering of footsteps slowly dim, and Hae Soo pulls her knees to her chest, chin rested on them, and the original norigae she had in hand.

Outside her window, the stars and moon looked beautiful as always, and she can't help but to reminisce the past; what was, and could have been.

Running her hands across the ornament, it brings her to a far away place, one she would've liked to stay in forever, if only she was allowed to.

 

***

 

"You came to visit today!" Hae Soo flings herself at the older boy, throwing him off balance.

Luckily, he manages to stabilize himself and saves both of them a painful fall.

Chuckling, So pats her head affectionately. "Do I not always come to visit, though?"

Before Hae Soo could utter back a wise remark, her father appears from within the home, along with her mother.

Her tone immediately changes to be much more poised. Bowing low, she says, "To what do I owe you the pleasure of this leisurely visit?"

Both parents exchanged amused looks while Wang So stifles his laughter.

"You do not have to speak so formally, Soo-ya. We have been friends for as long as I can remember."

"That is right, I agree with So." Her father claps So on the back.

"You always agree with him, father. You never are on my side." Hae Soo pouts, throwing her whole reserved outlook from earlier out the window.

Her dad laughs loudly, while her mom clucks her tongue at her daughter mockingly. "Look at this girl. What a spoiled kid."

"If I am spoiled, it is because you love me too much." Hae Soo beams brightly.

"I think it is about time I change my ways," her mom retorts, earning a little nudge from her husband.

So laughs at the playful family banter. Here, it was always a warm welcome full of laughter and no worries. He wishes his family could be like this; but again, a wish was only that—a wish.

"You kids head on out and enjoy the nice day. Be sure to come back later to eat some honey pastries and have some tea."

"Ye, abeoji." With another bow, Hae Soo leaves first.

"I will keep her safe, Minister Hae." So bows low—even lower than Hae Soo had done.

"So-ya, just call me abeonim." A fatherly smile spreads across the man's face.

"Ye, ab-abeonim." With another bow, So follows in Hae Soo's footsteps, his heart feeling more at ease than it had in ages for an unknown reason.

As the parents watch the two kids walk away—Hae Soo asking for a piggyback ride and So accepting—her mom smiles from a ways away before turning to her husband.

"I quite like So."

"So do I; very much."

 

~~~

 

"It is so peaceful here." Hae Soo sits on the riparian, watching as the wind makes the trees dance back and forth.

So plops down next to her, occasionally skipping rocks into the stream, creating small ripples on the surface. "Indeed it is. I would like to live here if I could."

"You could build a hanok here, and then it would be my turn to visit you."

"Now that does not sound too bad. It is always a long walk to your home, Soo-ya."

Hae Soo playfully throws some pieces of grass she had plucked out of the ground at him. "But you always manage to come anyways."

"I have to see you, don't I?"

So goes back to skipping rocks while Hae Soo throws glances at him from time to time, smiling to herself.

After a while, So lays down on the soft grass, watching the clouds roll by. "Do you know what you would like to be when you grow up?"

Hae Soo sighs and lies down next to him. "When I was little, I always wanted to be a princess. The dream is a little far-fetched now that I think about it."

"You never know what will happen in the future."

"What about you? I feel that palace life would suit you."

So turns to look at her, serious. "Do not laugh."

"I won't."

"I want to be someone my family would be proud of; someone with more status, more wealth—a name for myself."

"But you are you. How can they not be proud?" Hae Soo grins sincerely at him, and So finds himself staring a little longer than usual.

He evades the question, and turns away, confused. What was that? That feeling?

"I want to get married when I am older; like abeoji and omeoni, I want to be happy with someone. There is not a day where I do not see them smiling when they are together."

Brushing away the minuscule trace of disappointment he feels, So asks, "What kind of person would you like to marry?"

Hae Soo answers without hesitation. "I want someone who will take care of me—a relationship like that of friends; someone I can rely on, but never be bored of having by my side."

So stays silent, contemplating her answer—that is, until Hae Soo's voice brings him out of his reverie.

"I will not marry if there is no one like that." She turns on her side to face Wang So. "Now that I think about it, it sounds as if I am describing you."

So turns on his left side, arm propping his head up, looking at Soo quizzically. Scoffing, he says, "Who said I will ever marry you?"

"It is only a what if..." Hae Soo trails off, suddenly embarrassed at having come on too strongly.

So suddenly remembers the gift he hid in his robes. "Close your eyes."

"Why?"

"Just close them." Making sure that Soo was, in fact, closing her eyes, he pulls out an intricately made norigae.

"Hands."

"Stop ordering me around!" But she holds out her hands anyways.

Placing the norigae into Soo's palm, So tells her to open her eyes once more.

Hae Soo gasps loudly. "This is gorgeous..."

So smiles, happy that she liked what he had spent hours picking out. "I got this for you."

Before he knew what was happening, Soo scoots closer and hugs him tightly. His chest muffled her words, but he could still discern them. "Thank you. I love it very much."

Hae Soo moves away, and takes off the pin in her hair.

"What are you doing?"

"Here. This is my gift to you."

"You do not have to repay me. Like I said, it is a gift."

"Promises need objects to seal them."

 "I never agreed to anything." So looks down at the lotus hairpin in his hands.

"Then...lets make a promise."

So looks at Hae Soo reluctantly, before nodding. "Fine, I agree to...build a small home here when I am older."

Hae Soo frowns. "What kind of promise is that?"

"It is mine."

"Well, I promise that I will marry no one, if it cannot be you." Soo then sits up and puts the norigae behind her back defensively. "You are not allowed to retract your gift. These objects will be a symbol of what we swear on."

So sits back up as well, laughing loudly at Soo's childish antics.

"Do not sit there and laugh at me!" She hits him lightly on the arm.

So doesn't know what comes over him, but he takes her wrist and pulls her against him. Hae Soo's eyes broaden, but she doesn't make to move away. "Then, I will wait for you."

Both of them are still holding onto their objects of promise—neither moving nor losing eye contact—as the wind brushes through the myriad of trees, sending cherry blossoms cascading down to the ground in a beautiful flurry of white.

 

***

 

"Soo-ya.." Three knocks come before the wooden doors are opened. A hand shakes her awake.

Opening her eyes, it’s revealed that she had slept sitting against the wall last night. Her neck was bent at an awkward angle for hours straight, resulting in a very unpleasant morning wake up call.

"Oh, honey...why did you sleep here and not your bed?" Her mom places a hand on her shoulder comfortingly.

"I was too tired last night, so I must have fallen asleep without knowing." Lies.

"Well, it is time for you to get up. We have a long day ahead of us today, for the king has sent an order that he wishes to go over a few small palace matters regarding your marriage."

At the mention of marriage, Hae Soo's heart sinks again.

"Mother, do I really have to go? Do I really have to get married to someone I barely know?"

Reaching a hand out, her mother smooths down her hair. "I know this might not be what you want, but it is the king's orders." A look of sympathy is etched on her mother's face. "I am sorry, Soo-ya."

Hae Soo says nothing more. Taking that as a cue, her mom walks out silently, leaving her once again in the cold room.

Eventually, Chae Ryung comes in to help her dress and prepare gifts for entering the palace.

"Chae Ryung-ya, why are you so quiet today?"

Her servant avoids eye contact, but after a while she states softly, "About yesterday..."

"Ah...do not worry. Let us pretend nothing happened at all."

"But—"

Hae Soo sends what she hopes is a reassuring smile Chae Ryung's way. "Would you like to come to the palace with me today?"

 

 

•••

 

So awakens to a pounding headache and harsh sunlight in his eyes.

Turning over, he sees his brother's face looming overhead. Eyes widening in surprise, So stealthily shoves the hairpin he held onto all night underneath his pillow once more.

"Just what are you doing so early in the morning?" Rubbing a hand tiredly over his face, Wang So awaits his brother's reply.

"I just wanted to check in on you."

"I am quite fine. My head is spinning a bit, but it is nothing I cannot manage."

Suddenly, Baek Ah breaks out into a cheeky grin. "Hyungnim, hyungnim, hyungnim," he repeats while bouncing up and down.

So laughs—a real laugh for the first time in days—at his hyper brother. "What?" He manages to get out in between chuckles.

"The king has sent word this morning that he wanted to see you for a very important reason."

"Why me?"

"His Majesty said something about wanting to test out your skills of being a scholar."

Wang So sits upright, curious about this sudden summoning. "Did His Majesty say anything more?"

Baek Ah scratches his head, trying to recall his memory. "Not that I can remember. But, think about it hyungnim...This could be your chance to prove to the king your intelligence and earn his favor right from the get go."

Suddenly dragging Wang So to his feet, Baek Ah makes rapid shooing motions. "Hurry and get changed. I will be waiting outside." An amused expression stretches across So's face as he watches his brother march happily out of the room.

Before Wang So could even pick out a different robe, Baek Ah pops his head back into the room.

"I am coming with you, whether you like it or not."

 

•••

 

"My lady, are you not content with the outfit I had picked out?" Chae Ryung walks around Hae Soo, observing.

"That is not it. I feel that there is something missing." Hae Soo looks at herself in the mirror. The light orange hanbok she was wearing suited a visit to the palace perfectly. Chae Ryung had chosen quite carefully and with much thought. Even her little earrings and the way her hair was styled were to her liking. Yet...

"Oh! I got it!" Chae Ryung pads over, and picks up the norigae that was still on the floor from last night.

"Would you like to add on this norigae, agassi? It is quite beautiful, if I must say." Chae Ryung scans the little ornament in wonder.

"Maybe something else will do..." Hae Soo pushes the ornament away slightly.

Should I wear this? What would the king think? What would Wook think? What would So think if he saw it? Wang So...

Chae Ryung looked quite disappointed but tried not to show it. As she turns around to place it back neatly in the jewelry box, Hae Soo suddenly calls out.

"On second thought, you are right. I wish to wear this today."

 

 

•••

 

"Greetings to your Majesty, the king." So kneels down and prostrates himself on the floor respectfully.

“Wang So is it? I heard you were a new scholar here."

"Yes, that is right, Your Majesty."

Baek Ah kneeled down next to So, bowing as deeply as his brother had done; if not more so. "Your Majesty. I know you did not ask for my presence, but I am here with my brother. I hope that is alright with you."

"Both of you please stand up. You are more than welcome here. I know about all the great things you have done, and will do for the palace in the future. Please, do not stand there so rigidly." The king gestures for them to stand up, chuckling when the two brothers glance at each other, unsure.

"Will you go and fetch us some tea?" The head eunuch standing off to the side walks away with minute, swift steps. The doors close behind him with a loud squeak.

"The head scholar has spoken very highly of you both. I have no doubt in my mind that what he has said is not true."

"Thank you for such high praise, Your Majesty." Baek Ah bows once more; something he seemed to be doing quite a lot since he got here.

"How is the Sungkyunkwan?"

"It is an honor to have been accepted into such a respected place, Your Majesty," So starts off. "I am learning so much every day, and everyone has been nothing but accommodating so far. I am very grateful."

"I am glad you have found such great passion in your work. That is one of the reasons I have called you here today."

"I heard from a messenger this morning that you had something you wished to relay to So-hyungnim." Baek Ah was finally comfortable enough to look up at the king.

"Ah, yes, that is the case—" The head eunuch's return with a few court ladies interrupts the king mid-sentence.

Wang So sees Baek Ah staring straight at someone. Looking over, he sees that she was quite pretty; black hair, fair skin, and big, round eyes. He didn't recognize the girl, but his brother definitely did.

Coming over, she places tea trays for him and Baek Ah respectively, while another girl serves the king his.

"Woo Hee?" Baek Ah questions.

"Baek Ah-nim?" The girl's eyes widen in shock. Before she could drop the teapot, So reflexively reaches out to steady it.

Nodding her head slightly in thanks, she quickly finishes pouring tea and stands up to leave, but not before whispering to Baek Ah, "I will talk to you if we ever have the chance."

Wang So nudges his brother, reminding him of where they were. "I do not know who she is, or how you know her, but please, we are in front of the king right now; show more respect."

"Sorry. I will, hyungnim." Despite his words, So catches Baek Ah looking in Woo Hee's direction again.

"You," the king suddenly points at Woo Hee. "I wish for you to stay a bit longer here with Baek Ah and Wang So as well. You will be a part of this too."

Speaking quietly to the eunuch, the king sends everyone else out before turning back to his guests.

"I have a favor I would like to ask of all of you here."

Baek Ah is the first to speak up. "Anything it may be your Majesty, I am happy to be of service."

"As am I," So confirms.

All eyes to turn to Woo Hee who was standing near the throne; eyes downcast. "Me too, Your Majesty."

"I would like to see Wang So tutor someone who will soon be very special to me."

"Tutor?" So's eyebrows rise in confusion.

"Yes. You are quite an intelligent scholar, I assume. There is someone I wish for you to teach using your vast knowledge."

Turning to Baek Ah, the king says, "As will you, Baek Ah. I want to you visit often to check in on the progress. Since you have been here longer, I entrust that you will report back to me in full." Baek Ah glances sideways slightly at his brother.

Lastly, the king looks over at Woo Hee. "What is your name, my dear?"

"It is Woo Hee, Your Majesty."

"Woo Hee, you will also have a very important role to play in this. But...I will tell you later." Woo Hee finally looks up, surprised at the decision.

"Pardon if I may ask, but who is this person you have assigned us all to?"

Footsteps could be heard outside the grand wooden doors.

"You will find out very soon. The company I was expecting—and the aforementioned person—is finally here."

 

•••

 


Korean Lessons with Golden Sunset:

Hyungnim: close older friend or older brother (guy to guy)

Sungkyunkwan: educational institution in Korea during the late Goryeo and Joseon dynasties

Agassi: young lady, usually a noble one

Gat: traditional hat worn by men along with hanbok during the Joseon period

Hanbok: traditional Korean dress

Halmeoni: term used to refer to an old woman, also grandma

Norigae: female accessory/ornament hung from their hanbok

Maedeup: Korean knots used for knitting and weaving

Hanok: traditional Korean houses

Abeonim/abeoji: dad/father

Omeoni: mom/mother

And....I hope that is all of the terms ^O^

Also...if you guys were wondering what Hae Soo's norigae looks like: https://www.google.com/search?q=norigae&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_tLTUga7WAhUGwmMKHcgEACYQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=643#imgrc=1vtzcGHF3t0bkM:

The 'sealing promises with an object' was inspired by the drama, Seven Day Queen. It is also a great historical drama with wonderful child as well as grown up actors/actresses. I need to pick up where I left off.

Until next time! <3

 


No copyright infringement intended. All references and inspirations are from the original writers/directors.