Only Us Two

Scintilla

 

This oneshot is dedicated to a very good friend of mine (aka sorchid), for encouraging me to upload these crazy stories. Just like Ha Jin and Woo Hee, there's never a boring--non-crazy--moment with her. Credits to her for giving me ideas for this chapter! *finger heart*

 


"Ha Jin....Ha Jin-ah!"

"Huh?"

"I've been trying to get your attention for the past 10 minutes!" Woo Hee was exasperated to say the least.

"Sorry...I guess I just zoned out."

To be more exact, the very handsome guy dancing across the room from her was quite a distraction.

Along with a pretty face, he had sharp moves to match.

"I don't know how you manage to be at the top of this class with that attention span," Woo Hee teases as she stretches her legs and arms.

"I'm not at the top—she points at the guy—he is."

Woo Hee raises her eyebrows at her friend, and then a smile slowly spreads across her face.

Leaning in close, she says, "You like him, don't you?"

Ha Jin blushes. "No, I d-don't," she stammers.

"Uh-huh. Whatever you say," Woo Hee smiles at her shy friend. "Not a bad choice."

"Just worry about Baek Ah, ok?" It was her turn to tease Woo Hee.

Her friend was not one to back down though. "Deal. You worry about Wang So then."

So his name was Wang So.

She didn't even bother to fight back this time, since there was truth in what Woo Hee had said; a lot of truth.

 

~~~

 

"From the top, guys!" their dance teacher yelled out. "One, and two, and three..."

Ha Jin does all the steps perfectly; the moves embedded into her being from hours of devotional practice.

Of course—as Woo Hee had said—being one of the top students meant that she was dancing in the front. There was no room for mistakes, since she helped lead the rest alongside Wang So.

Ha Jin had always thought of herself as a perfectionist, but seeing Wang So mess up next to her and laughing if off—while still dancing—led her to throw that habit out the window.

That's not fair. How come I don't look that cute when I fumble?

She was pouting unconsciously.

"Why the long face, Ha Jin-sshi?" comes a voice she never would have expected to talk to her.

Looking to her left, she realizes that he was looking at her, a small smile adorning his face.

She didn't think "It's not fair how cute you are" would cut it—even though it was what she was thinking.

So she opts for, "I don't think I'm dancing with enough power."

What a lie.

"If you dance any harder, your limbs are going to be disconnected from your body," So teases.

She laughs.

"Besides, you're already a perfect dancer. Don't beat yourself up over it and just have fun!" He gives her a big thumbs up and goes back to dancing like nothing had happened; like he just didn't make her heart beat faster than what was considered to be normal.

"Great dancing, everybody! I love the enthusiasm and hard work everyone has put into this," their instructor starts off as everyone takes a seat on the practice room's hardwood floor.

Naturally, the class moved to sit with their friends. Ha Jin sat next to Woo Hee, and Wang So sat next to Baek Ah.

Ha Jin pulls her knees to her chest and wraps her arms around them, while Woo Hee sat with her legs straight out in front of her.

Looking over, she sees Baek Ah sprawled out on the floor, and So laughing at his antics.

She giggles to herself and nudges Woo Hee with her elbow. When her friend looks over, she discreetly points to Baek Ah—who was still lying down—and Woo Hee just shakes her head, trying to hide her smile.

"You have a weird taste in men," Ha Jin jokes, earning her an elbow jab to the side.

"So, for our talent show—as you can call it—I'll be pairing you up with a fellow classmate and you'll be performing a song together. You'll all be performing the same song, but the audience will get a chance to choose the couple they think did best. Some of the factors that you'll be judged on are chemistry, storyline, and—of course—the dancing."

Excited murmurs arose in the room. In the middle of it all, Ha Jin glances in the mirror and sees Wang So's reflection. He was smiling while listening intently.

She didn't realize she had been staring until his eyes met hers in the mirror, and she quickly turns, pretending like she had been talking to Woo Hee.

When she looks back again, he was no longer looking in the mirror but was now talking animatedly with Baek Ah.

"What if you end up being partnered with Baek Ah?" Ha Jin quietly asks her friend. 

Woo Hee shrugs, acting nonchalant. "What if you and So end up being partners?" 

"Touché."

"Shhh, quiet down class. Now I can tell you're all excited for this project—and I as well—so let's get right to it."

Baek Ah raises his hand suddenly.

"Ah, yes?" The instructor points at him, doing a double take upon seeing her student on the floor.

"Will there be a prize?" He asks, dead serious.

Giggles erupt in the room.

"Of course."

Baek Ah pumps a fist in the air, which would've looked more enthusiastic had he been sitting up.

"The prize is satisfaction that your hard work paid off," the instructor adds last minute, much to Baek Ah's dismay. 

As Baek Ah groans and sits up dejected, more laughter echoes in the room.

"Now, I've already got the list of partners right here, so when I read off the names, please go and sit by your partners."

As the names were called off one by one, Ha Jin panicked slightly. It wasn't safe for her heart if she was paired with So.

"Ahn Na Ri and Choi Soo Hyuk."

Ha Jin observes as a tall, skinny girl, with hair a little past her shoulders shyly walks over to her partner. He gave off the smug and cool vibe, but was still polite as he greeted his partner, shaking her hand.

Her friend, Park Chun Hwa sent teasing signals from the other side of the room, and laughed when Na Ri berated her silently with her eyes.

Ha Jin smiled, the scene reminding her of Woo Hee and herself.

"Woo Hee and Baek Ah."

Ha Jin holds in her laughter when she looks at Woo Hee's flushed face.

Her friend reluctantly gets up as Ha Jin throws finger hearts at her.

Baek Ah made Woo Hee sit in between him and So, leaning an arm on her shoulder in a pose that was supposed to exude confidence. But with his awkward attempt, and Woo Hee shying away, all it did was serve as a very amusing scene.

"Wang So and Ha Jin! My two best dancers and students!" The teacher excitedly announces.

As she's about to get up to go to So, he had already made it over to her side and plopped down next to her.

From behind his back, Woo Hee was making heart signs in the air at her.

Sticking her tongue out, Ha Jin turns her attention back to So.

He sticks his hand out, pinky finger up. "Lets win this thing!"

As she intertwines her pinky with his and their thumbs seal the deal, she had very little hope that she would make it out of this alive.

Just from a slight touch, her heart was already moving on it's own accord.

 

~~~

 

"Ok class, we have 3 days to go until the talent show. Just keep practicing and I know you'll do great!"

After the instructions, everyone scurries to find their partners to perfect the routine.

Although they would all perform on one big stage together, the group had agreed on practicing separately to add something unique to their own pairing.

In a corner, Ha Jin could see Na Ri and Soo Hyuk talking—planning.

As another girl is about to bump into Na Ri while losing balance spinning, Soo Hyuk pulls her to the side, effectively into his chest.

Na Ri was evidently smitten as she looked up at him with wide eyes.

Do I look at So the same way?

"Yes, you do."

Where did she come from?

Woo Hee smiles at her mischievously.

"H-how?"

"You were speaking your thoughts out loud, my friend."

"Aish—" before she could reply, Woo Hee interrupts.

"Speak of the devil..." and she walks off to practice with Baek Ah as So walks up.

"Ha Jin-ah!"

They had both agreed to drop formalities to make it more comfortable during practice.

Once she saw his outfit, she laughed and pointed between him and her. When he finally realized they were matching, she heard him chuckle.

They were both wearing a plain white t-shirt and grey sweatpants, along with black tennis shoes.

"Now anyone can tell that we're partners," So says while patting her head.

"Ugh, Oppaaa!" She whines. Trying to reach his head, she fails miserably. Not only was he a lot taller than her, he was also wearing a backwards white baseball cap that disabled her from messing up his hair.

He moves back as she keeps stepping forward, determined to mess with him. He laughs as she keeps failing, while she puffs out her cheeks in annoyance.

Of course, being the klutz that she was, she trips over their boom box.

"Ah!" Ha Jin flails her arms, trying to regain her balance.

Too late.

She topples forward, sending So backwards. Ha Jin braces herself for the inevitable fall towards the floor.

But it never came.

Instead, all she heard was thump...thump...thump.

"Are you ok?"

Wait, the floor couldn't talk...

Oh. My. God. I fell on him didn't I?!

She closes her eyes in embarrassment.

Thinking that she wasn't okay, So smooths the hair away from her face.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

She couldn't tell if it was his heart or her own anymore.

She lifts her head from his chest, and is met with his beautiful brown eyes.

He was looking straight at her with concern, yet she was just plain staring.

Was it possible to be that beautiful? God must've taken his time creating this man.

His hat had fallen somewhere when she landed atop him, and now his hair covered part of his face.

She reaches her hand up to brush his soft hair away, and his eyes widen slightly.

All the while, their eyes were locked on each other's. Brown clashed with brown.

They were close enough that she could see the specks of dark brown in his eyes.

She didn't look away and neither did he. Ha Jin didn't even realize she was holding her breath, until she felt her lungs partially giving out.

So this must be how Na Ri felt earlier.

She had fallen for him.

 

~~~

 

"Woo Hee-ah, I'm beyond nervous. So and I have to be in the front," Ha Jin rambles as she paces back and forth.

Woo Hee grabs her shoulders. "Stop. Worrying. We'll do fine. You'll do fine! If you remember to fall on So again this time, the crowd will go crazy."

Ha Jin blushes while glaring. "We don't talk about that."

Woo Hee laughs. "Ah, there's my feisty friend."

"Alright, its show time. Good luck everyone!"

After the well wishes from their teacher, it was finally time to go on stage.

As she walks out slowly, a hand slips into hers.

"Leaving without me, partner?" So looks down at her.

"Of course not. We promised to win, so let's do this," she says, holding onto his hand tighter as they step onto the stage.

 

~~~

 

Ha Jin was losing her wits, and the spotlights were blinding her.

She missed the warmth of So's hand in hers.

"Ha Jin, just look at me. We'll do fine," So encourages from a few feet away.

She nods, more reassured than earlier.

When everyone was in place, the music started.

She sees So and all the other male members move forward, in sync.

Everyone was doing really well, and she was grateful that her luck didn't run out this time.

As the song progressed, her worries slowly dissipated when she keeps her eyes on him, imagining that they were the only two in the room.

So advances towards her, and spins her once, before pulling her by the waist towards him, catching her by surprise.

That wasn't part of their routine.

Over the booming music, he says, "010 - 3794 -2794."

"What?" She says back while still dancing.

"Give me a call," rings out in the background and So lip syncs to it, looking at her the whole time.

She smiles—unbelievingly—despite her running heart.

Looking around, Ha Jin sees that everyone was having fun and forgetting that there was an audience present.

As the song nears the end, he keeps walking towards her until her back bumps into the wall where the curtains were tied back from the stage.

He puts his hand up next to her head, trapping her in between his body and the wall.

He leans in closer, and before their lips touch, she says, "I'll call you."

The music cuts right as he leans all the way in.

The rest of their class whistles, and the loud clapping of the audience only confirmed that their goal was achieved.

They had won.

Though she had won more than just the talent show. Somewhere along the way, she had won his heart after giving hers away to him.



No copyright infringement intended. All references and inspirations are from the original writers/directors.