Part 7: Conversations

History
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 7

 

It was early next morning and Jiwon was back on the café chair with Sunghoon in front of him once more. Jiwon could feel the dark circles deep under his eyes. He hadn’t been able to sleep, only restlessly playing the time away. His eyes still felt sore when he blinked. He drummed his fingers against his thigh, in rhythm with the nervous patter of his heart as he awaited Sunghoon’s answer.

Sunghoon began, “I spent last night thinking about what I want. I’ll be straightforward. I’m willing to give it a chance...”

Jiwon’s fingers stilled against his thigh and he took a deep breath. Would he…

“…us being friends again. Let’s start with that. I don’t want more or less.”

Oh…

“Do you agree with me?” Sunghoon asked.

It was something. Jiwon was happy for anything he could get. “Yes.”

~*~

When their meeting was over Sunghoon leaned against the wall outside, finally able to breathe.

He stared down at his phone. After that phone call years ago he had deleted Jiwon’s number. He didn’t think he’d have it again. Now it sat there in his contact list once more – no sweet nickname for him this time. Just…

Eun Jiwon.

They had promised to meet again tomorrow.

~*~

It still felt unreal seeing Jiwon the next day. Sunghoon had already been at the cafe for half an hour, turning his head every time the bell rang to see who it was that came. His nerves would be strung tight and he’d hold his breath, but in came only strangers. He would relax for a moment until the bell rang again. Sunghoon had set up his laptop in front of him, but he was not able to concentrate on it.

It was already getting later than their meeting time. Sunghoon was not surprised. Placing his chin in his hand, he sighed. Jiwon had always been slower than a slug in the morning. He’d be late, Sunghoon would have to wait an hour, it wouldn’t surprise him. Why did his heart feel like it had deflated?

Sunghoon was just about to take a sip of his coffee – better do before it turned cold, no more use waiting – when the door bell rang again. His head snapped up.

In through the door he came, looking like he had run. He was only a few minutes late. Huh. Sunghoon wouldn’t have needed to worry. Jiwon looked over in his direction. Their eyes met and Jiwon raised his hand in a greeting, a pleased smile on his face. No matter if he had run or not, Jiwon looked composed as he walked over to the table. Now when Jiwon was finally here it was almost like a dream.

And Jiwon didn’t stop by his own chair. Instead he walked all the way up to Sunghoon. Sunghoon couldn’t help it, his eyes had to be very wide as he looked up at Jiwon. That nervousness from waiting earlier was bubbling up in his chest. But Jiwon only reached into his pockets and placed the contents on the table in front of Sunghoon before retreating to his chair.

It was a watch. Whatever Sunghoon had imagined would happen happen next, this had been very low on that list. Somewhat confused, Sunghoon thanked him for it. He picked up the watch. It was a modern design with silver details. He studied it closer, “...but why?”

“Look at the back.”

Sunghoon turned it around and let out a startled laugh when he saw the engraving. “You...”

“It’s a countdown for a year. Start and end date.”

“You’re serious about this.”

Jiwon placed his hands on the table and leaned over. “You didn’t think I was? I promise you, I am.” He sat down on his chair. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Sunghoon’s heart made a flip of betrayal. Jiwon sat leaned back in his chair with his legs crossed, shirt perfectly ed and a crooked smile playing at his lips. Sunghoon ignored the sudden dryness in his throat and focused on getting the watch fastened around his wrist.

~*~

Click, click, click…

Sunghoon tapped away his laptop while Jiwon was fully engrossed in a game on his smartphone. Between making wide sweeps with his finger for some game, he was throwing sneaky glances at Sunghoon.

Did he really think Sunghoon hadn’t noticed?

They had long since finished their drinks. Not once had Sunghoon shown Jiwon what he was writing. He did not feel like it.

“What are you writing?” Jiwon asked, his eyes peeking up over his phone.

Sunghoon glanced at the words he’d written on the screen. This was something he had never shown anyone else, something he had began working on during the last year. Jiwon was too curious of a person to let it be. Sunghoon could see annoyed curve to his eyebrows… to not get an answer must be nagging at him. Yet he didn’t pry, even if his eyes seemed to scream “show me!”

He’d show him. One day, maybe. “I think I’m writing more now than I ever did in school,” said Sunghoon absentmindedly. “You know our teacher always complained about my handwriting…”

Jiwon raised his eyebrow. “When you actually turned in your homework.”

“Like you were any better. I turned in something! I was a way better student than you.”

“Pfff,” Jiwon snorted.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter