Oi

X-File: Mind Games (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Branding me a genius did not change the fact that I have never illegally bugged someone's house before, let alone a potential murderer's. The small devices in my pocket seemed to weigh a ton, especially now that my partner was forced to leave. Suddenly the success of the mission rested entirely on me, the amateur college kid who barely turned a Clan member a mere fortnight ago. 

 

There were three bugs that I had to stealthily install around the house. The best scenario would be that I got hold of his phone as well, but without Kihyun by my side, that would have to wait. Eavesdropping on the couple's daily conversation would have to suffice for now. 

 

The victim's daughter was clearly still stuck in grief and mourning for the tragic passing of her father. Her expressions and gestures looked too familiar - they mirrored Yuna's mother's. Her eyes were slightly glazed and while she forced a weak smile at me, nothing seemed to suggest that she wanted me to be in the house. All she wanted was time alone to rest and grief. The bags under her eyes either suggested that she had always been a hard worker, or that her father's death had caused insomnia. Having an interview with a cheery (or at least I tried to be) matchmaking agency employee who offered pizza and money was certainly too celebratory at this moment. The girl look uninterested and exhausted despite the time of the day. I almost felt bad for intruding on her private time to grief. 

 

Yet this only reminded me how insensitive and money-minded of a boyfriend he was. To let in strangers into the house during a period of grievance. To welcome such intrusion despite a girlfriend who needed quiet moments at this stage. It was clear from before that she was uncomfortable with the situation, but she did not utter her disagreement. Neither was he doing this to bring a smile on her face, because I was pretty sure he only ushered me in when I offered money. So clearly the dynamics of the relationship was not necessarily a healthy one. She was like a lamb following a wolf. Or a fox, since I wouldn't say one is better than the other in terms of describing a person's character. 

 

And as if to prove my point, when I chose to move towards the lone sofa seat at the living room, the male invited me to seat next to him on the longer couch instead, leaving his girlfriend to sit alone so that I was between both of them but especially closer to him. Everything about this was just weird.

 

"So Minseok-sshi and Minah-sshi, I'm here to ask you some basics about your relationship updates so that we can include some sweet details in our newsletter. It will really help with our promotional efforts for the upcoming year," I flashed the perfect smile at the couple, secretly thanking my professor in school for insisting that I should have good presentation skills. Another part of me was glad Changkyun was not on the mission with me, because I could almost hear him snickering at my act. 

 

We prepared a simple checklist of questions that day about how long they've been together, what their dating style was and what were their plans for the future - the usual. It wasn't surprising to see that Minseok was the one answering all the questions while Minah silently nodded in the corner of my eyes. The man was certainly charistmatic in the way he spoke, and I could see why he would be the type to leech off his girlfriend's apartment and life easily. Some girls would totally fall for his act. 

 

It wasn't long before the repetitive answers came up again and Minah decided to retreat to her room, letting her boyfriend handle the mundane intervie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter