Seven

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She knows something is wrong the moment the door opens and she sees Hyoyeon’s aunt looking at her with her eyes a mixture of worry and relief. The older lady smiles at Taeyeon, wraps her in a hug and kisses her cheek- just like she always does. Then, she steps out of the house and closes the door behind her gently.

 

“What’s wrong?” Taeyeon asks.

 

“She has to see a doctor, Taeyeon.” Her voice is low. “She had a panic attack last night. She couldn’t breathe, sweating all over and shaking like a leaf.”

 

“I’m scared, Taeyeon,” the older woman admits, her eyes clouding with tears, “I’m scared for the baby, and I’m scared for Hyoyeon.”

 

Taeyeon swallows. A whirlwind of emotions spin in her. “Is she in her room?”

 

/

She sees a huddled figure in an oversized sweater, sitting by the window and staring out blankly. Taeyeon knocks gently. Hyoyeon jumps a little and her head turns to the door at once, eyes wide and alarmed.

 

“Hyo, it’s me,” Taeyeon says hurriedly. The girl puts on a shaky smile, slowly relaxing at the sound of the familiar voice.

 

Taeyeon cautiously sits beside the dancer and holds her hand, rubbing her thumb against the back of her hand.

 

“Hey,” she smiles softly. “How are you?”

 

Hyoyeon shrugs a little and squeezes her hand. “Same old, I guess.”

 

Taeyeon nods. She needs to be careful. This topic is to be treaded around carefully.

 

“A penny for your thoughts?”

 

Hyoyeon shakes her head. “I’m not really thinking about anything in particular.”

 

Taeyeon nods again.

 

“You know, don’t you?” Hyoyeon murmurs quietly when the dark-haired girl doesn’t say anything else.

 

“Yes,” Taeyeon answers because there isn’t anything to hide.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want it to happen.”

 

Taeyeon slides over and cups Hyoyeon’s face in her hands, caressing the soft skin. Hyoyeon presses into her palm, a soft sigh escaping her lips.

 

“You didn’t want any of this to happen, okay? You have stop doing this.”

 

“Okay,” she hears Hyoyeon reply quietly and shakily.

 

“Hyoyeon, I was thinking of letting a psychologist come see you. Is-is that alright?”

 

“Will it help?” The other girl says, looking into Taeyeon’s eyes earnestly.

 

“Hopefully.” Taeyeon takes in a breath. “We have to try, right?”

 

“Okay. I trust you.”

 

/

 

It took time but Taeyeon had finally managed to find a capable, reliable doctor for Hyoyeon. She was a little woman in her late fifties, with intelligent eyes and a ‘business-only’ attitude. Reliable. Taeyeon had been sure of that the moment that lady even shorter than Taeyeon herself had gripped her hand and pumped it up and down twice with strength Taeyeon had never imagined she would possess.

“You can address me as Doctor Oh and where shall we start?” Was the first thing she had said. They had spoken over the phone the day before and the woman had agreed to Taeyeon’s conditions: keep everything confidential, Hyoyeon will only be contactable through Taeyeon and Taeyeon has to be notified about every visit.

 

That lady knew her stuff –as proven by the certificates- and she knew her restrictions. If anything, Taeyeon actually believes that lady would get along with Hyoyeon.

 

Hyoyeon looked cautious at first. Taeyeon had expected her to be. She had clung onto Taeyeon through the session, but had relaxed significantly by the end of it, allowing Taeyeon to leave her alone with Dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter