Side by Side

The Luck of Encounters

“No.”

“But, noona-”

“No, Jonghyun. I am not teaching you more pick up lines,” I sigh with a smile, meeting his big puppy eyes squarely. “We’re working on what you’ll need for the shows, not to make your fans swoon.”

“But I like making them swoon,” Jonghyun laughs, leaning back in the chair. “It’s cute.”

“Speak for yourself,” Key complains, pushing the chair so Jonghyun spins away from him. “Whenever I sit next to you, I feel like I’m going to go deaf from high decibel squeals.”

“Come on, you two,” Onew scolds with a chuckle, bringing Jonghyun back to the table. “_____ noona’s trying to help us.”

“And we don’t want Yoochun hyung to get mad us for messing with his girl,” Taemin adds.

“That was one time,” Jonghyun says with a roll of his eyes. “How was I supposed to know they were dating? You can’t blame me for trying to chat up a pretty girl.”

I lightly swat Jonghyun’s shoulder, making Minho chuckle. “That’s ‘noona’ to you, mister. Now focus.”

He sighs and obediently looks down at his book.

    Hiding my smile, I turn back to the white board and continue with the lesson. Since I’d done well with DBSK, SM had brought me back to help SHINee with their Japanese activities. Sometimes it felt strange being in the SM building and not working with DBSK, but I can’t complain. Being around SHINee helps when I start missing them.

“Noona,” Minho abruptly asks.

“Yes?”

“It’s kind of hot in here. Would it be all right if I opened the door?”

I glance at the door. We are in one of the quieter hallways, so I shrug and nod. “Sure.”

“I’ll get it,” he says, shooting out of his seat when I start to walking over to the door.

“All right.” Turning back to the others, I glance at our book. “Are you almost done with the first exercise?”

“Almost,” Jonghyun sniggers.

I frown as the Onew and Taemin try to suppress smiles and Key keeps a careful poker face as Minho returns to his chair. “Guys...what’s going on?”

“Nothing,” Onew replies unconvincingly.

Raising an eyebrow, I decide to let it pass. Probably just one of their many inside jokes. “Do you need me to explain anything again?”

Key shakes his head. “We’re fine.”

“If you’re sure. We can go over it again...do you all smell something? It smells like...chicken?”

“It’s probably from one of the offices down the hall,” Minho shrugs.

Accepting his explanation, I continue with the lesson, carefully going over the sentences with them and adjusting their pronunciation.

Taemin suddenly bursts out laughing, quickly covering his mouth when the others give him a look.

“Seriously guys, what’s the matter?” I ask, putting my book on the table and my hands on my hips. “We have been at it for a while so if you need to, we can take a break.”

Suddenly arms wrap around my waist, making me jump. “Sounds like a brilliant plan, songsaengnim,” someone breathes in my ear.

“Yah!” I twist in Yoochun’s arms to glare at him. “What did I say about doing that? You are not allowed to sneak up on me!”

“Mianhae, jagiya,” he croons, rubbing his nose against mine. “I was getting bored hiding behind the door all this time. I promise I won’t do it again.”

“Lies.”

Yoochun laughs. “Okay, yeah. That probably was a lie. You’re just so cute when you’re scared.”

“Not here. I’m working,” I tell him when he tries to kiss me, stopping his mouth with my hand. I try to turn around, but since Yoochun’s arms are firmly locked around me, I have to look over my shoulder. “So this is what you were laughing at, huh? Mianhae, guys. Give me a few minutes and I’ll get rid of him so we can keep going.”

“You make it sound like I haven’t been gone for two weeks,” Yoochun pouts. “You all won’t mind if I steal _____ away for awhile, right?”

“We might,” Key answers, crossing his arms. “What do we get out of it?”

Yoochun briefly releases me to go pull a big take-out box and a bag from behind the door. “Chicken, among other things.”

“Chicken?” Onew’s eyes light up as he quickly snatches the food. “Deal!”

“Sold out for food,” I sigh. “I see how much you all value me.”

“Mianhae, noona,” Taemin giggles. “We love you, we really do, it’s just-”

“We love food even more,” Minho teases, winking at me.

“Go have fun, you crazy kids,” Key says, dismissing us with a wave of his hand.

“Thank you, Almighty one.” Yoochun bows mockingly before taking my hand and leading me from the room.

“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t, hyung,” Jonghyun calls after us.

“Why’re you blushing?” Yoochun asks, entwining our fingers as we walk down the hall. “I’m not going to do anything here. I’m saving that for later.”

“Oppa, you really do have to stop doing this. We’re both supposed to be working,” I tell him, stopping at a small alcove and sitting down on a stack of boxes, smiling despite my scolding words.

“But I missed you,” he replies, sitting beside me and squeezing my hand. “Talking on the phone isn’t the same; it’s not good enough.”

“But you still got to see me when we use the video chat.”

“So? I couldn’t do this.” Yoochun kisses the back of my hand and releases it to cradle my face. “Or this.”

I close my eyes as his lips skim my cheeks and eyes before gently caressing mine. Giving in, I snuggle into his arms. “I missed that too.”

“Mmm.” Wrapping his arms around me, he nuzzles his face against my hair.

When I feel him kiss my head, I giggle. “Don’t you ever get tired of doing that?”

“What? This?” Yoochun chuckles, ducking his head to quickly peck my lips. “____, I’m haven’t gotten tired of this these past two years and I don’t think I ever will.”

“Good.” With a smirk, I steal my a kiss as well. “Cause I won’t either.”

“Thank goodness for that,” he laughs, a slightly somber look creeping into his gaze. I thought I’d lost you once; I don’t know what I’d do you left me for real.”

“That’s never going to happen, best friend,” I assure him quietly, his cheek. Barely pressing my lips against his, I pull back and look him full eyes. “My love.”

“Well, that’s a relief. No offense to Jaejoong hyung, but I’d really miss your food,” a voice says.

Yoochun and I both jump, accidentally knocking our heads.

Changmin watches with an amused smile, leaning against the wall. “Hey, hyung. Hey noona.”

“Remind me to kill you later,” Yoochun growls at him. Looking down at me and rubbing my head, he asks, “You all right?”

“I’m fine,” I reply, casting a wry look at Changmin. “I just won’t make him the spaghetti he asked for tonight.”

“Aw, c’mon, _____ noona,” he pouts. “At least I let you two get your missing-each-other make out session over with before I interrupted.”

“Changmin!”

“Saranghae!” Changmin cackles, running away. “See you tonight, noona.”

“Aish, that kid,” Yoochun says with a shake of his head. “I guess that means I better get back to them.”

I nod. “I have to get back to the guys too.”

“But I’ll still see you tonight, right?”

“Of course.”

“In that case. I’ll just take one more of these.” Yoochun stands and leans down for a lingering kiss. Smiling, he let’s his fingers slip from my chin. “Don’t work my dongsaengs too hard, arasso?”

“Did I ever do that to you all?”

“Well....”

I laugh, smacking his thigh.

Yoochun skips away, laughing too. “Saranghae.”

“Nado saranghae.” I blow him a kiss, which he catches and watch him walk away.

When he rounds the corner, he pokes his head back around and wiggles his eyebrows. "Will you miss me?"

“Shoo,” I giggle.

With a final wink, Yoochun disappears and I head back to work with a smile.


“Unnie!”

“Hi, Yejin-ah!” I laugh, returning her hug as I step into DBSK’s dorm. “You’re here too?”

“I’ve kinda been here since they got back yesterday,” she admits with a giggle. “Junsu oppa-”

“Missed his snuggle bunny,” Junsu finishes, back hugging Yejin and kissing her cheek. “Hi, ____.”


“Oppa, I wasn’t done hugging unnie,” Yejin pouts.

“It’s all right. I’ll finish the job for you,” Yoochun says, reaching out a hand and pulling me into his arms for a long kiss. Pulling back just enough so he can rest his forehead against mine, he closes his eyes and smiles. “Hello again.”

“Hi,” I smile back.

“You know, there was a time I believed Yejin and Junsu were the cheesiest couple ever, but I think these two can give them a run for their money,” Changmin comments, chuckling.

“I know, right?” Yunho laughs. “Makes me kinda jealous.”

“Aw, don’t worry, Yunnie,” Jaejoong says, giving him a one armed hug. “You’ve always got me.”

“And I’ve always got food,” Changmin beams. “Speaking of food, can we start making the spaghetti soon, _____ noona? I’m starving.”

“When are you not?” I tease, kissing Yoochun one last time before letting go to the fulfill the magnae’s demand.


    As the seven of us make dinner and eat together, I can’t help looking around the table and being thankful each of them came into my life. Changmin, Jaejoong, Yunho, and Junsu who had become like my second set of brothers, there to tease, be goofy with, and lean on. Yejin who became a sister to giggle with and support. Then there’s Yoochun. First a fast friend, then a best friend, and finally a love.

When he notices me gazing at him, Yoochun gives me a questioning look.

I smile and shake my head slightly, glancing away.

    Later, when the dishes are done and everyone’s simply lazing around, I excuse myself to the balcony, needing the cool night air. Closing my eyes, I lift my hair from my neck and smile at the breeze. I can tell when Yoochun joins me, both by the sudden warmth at my back and the smell of his cologne.

“You’re hot too?” I ask, not turning around.

“No, just wanted to be with you,” he replies, shifting my hair to the side and kissing my neck. “You all right?”

“More than all right,” I smile, leaning against him.

    Yoochun automatically shifts his hold to around my waist and rests his chin on my shoulder. I reach down and cover his hands with mine. Together, we watch the city lights sparkling in multiple colors amongst the black.

“So many coming and leaving,” he says softly, using a finger to follow the twin red lights of a plane. “Just like people.”

“You, sir, are not allowed to be melancholic on your first night back,” I tell him, lightly poking his nose.

“I’m not. I promise,” Yoochun adds when I raise an eyebrow. “I’m just thinking of you.”

“Of me? But I’m not leaving.”

“No, but I met you when we were both going to get on planes and then I didn’t know if you’d ever come back again...but you did. Twice, actually.”

“Funny, isn’t it, how these things work some times?” I reply, idly tracing shapes on his hands as I watch the plane’s lights ascend.

“Funny, lucky, I really don’t care what it was. Just that it happened.” He kisses my cheek sweetly. “What would I do without you, _____?”

I think about it for a few minutes. “Die.”

Yoochun laughs. “Maybe. Definitely be much less happy.”

“Same here.”

“_____?”

"Yes?"

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“Everything,” he whispers, slowly turning me so I’m facing him. “Absolutely everything.”

I smile and kiss him softly, not bothering with clumsy words. When we pull back, I start singing under my breath, “Lucky to be in love with my best friend...”

“Lucky to have been where I have been,” Yoochun answers in his chocolate voice, smiling one more time before bringing our lips together again.

    As I thread my fingers through Yoochun’s hair and feel his heart beat against mine, I thank every star I’d ever wished on for bringing me here, right where I belong. Luck truly is a strange thing. It gives and takes without rhyme or reason, sometimes incredibly cruel and others infinitely gracious. You should never waste any chance for happiness; it’s too precious a thing. I’m not sure what’s store for the two of us, but for right now, I’m going to treasure every second fickle luck gives with him.

And from the look in Yoochun’s eyes as he looks back at me, I think he will too.

=========================================

Annyeong lovelies! I'm so sorry for leaving you alone for so long. Life's been....life really. That and I took me a while to figure out just how to bring this story to an end. Thank you so much for supporting me along the way and commenting or even just reading. I hope you'll look forward to my future fics as well (One with SHINee and some other SM artists is in the works). Anyway, thank you again and I really hope you've enjoyed the journey. Saranghae!

the3wishes_t3w: I kinda feel the same, especially since Jaejoong keeps telling us how talented a composer Chunnie is. A solo album would make me so excited! ke ke, yeah, finally. Love you too!

MivlaShun: Aw, thank you! ^^

Doitworth: ke ke, I highly doubt you were the only one frustrated but I'm glad you did stick around. This one's the last one and thank you!

miyah16: ke ke, aws! Yes, loveable Yoochun is much preferred.

leejinkioppa: Indeed.

nar12345: ke ke, I've never been to araihama but it just sounds pretty, don't you think? Behave? Maybe, maybe not...ke ke.

chunnie_bunnie: Aw, thanks! ^^

yellow14: I'm sorry...but I'll be back with more, I promise!

WhiteAutumn_x: *shrugs* no idea.Aw, thanks! ^^ I hope I'll still have access to this site while I'm there so I can keep you all updated. 你也加油!

ChinkyKayla: ke ke, glad it made you happy. Unfortunately, this is all I've got left for this story, but please keep an eye out for my future ones! ^^

minnie6002: Chunnie strikes me as someone who would love kisses. Yep, it's the end, but I have more stories on the way, so it's not really good-bye.

tichiharahara: Here you go, lovely. Love you too!

Mionyu: Uh-oh. I really hope you're feeling better. All stories must come to an end....but at least there's always more.

Jun_KOI_Mi: Me too. ^^

Poison: At least it wasn't as long as Turtle, ke ke. Here's your true ending.

hazel_marie13: A little late, but it's here! ^^ ke ke, cute&sweet is my specialty.

PurpleangelSJ: ke ke, I think a wedding's a good while off, but a double wedding would be so dang cute! I have more waiting, I promise.