Exchanges

The Luck of Encounters

A soft knock sounds as I’m looking around the bathroom, trying to find a towel to dry my hair.

“Come in,” I call.

“_______?” Junsu’s voice asks.

“In the bathroom.”

“Is it safe?”

I look up to see his face barely poking around the door, hands covering his eyes. Giggling, I reach over and lower his hands. “I would’ve told you to wait if it wasn’t. What’s up?”

He grins. “Yunho hyung just sent me over since we’re going to be ordering dinner soon and we wanted to know if you’d like to eat with us.”

“Sure. Just let me finish changing.”

“Oh, right. I’ll leave then.” Junsu flashes me another smile before backing out of the room.

    Once I hear the door click shut, I hurry out to rummage through my luggage. Finding what I wanted, I quickly slip out of my wet suit and into my green dress. Going back into the bathroom, I decide to give up on my hair and twist it up into a bun. I look in the mirror, smoothing the imaginary wrinkles. Mid-smoothing, I stop to look in the mirror again, puzzled. Why am I worrying about how the dress looks? The guys aren’t going to notice a few wrinkles. I shrug it off and go put on a pair of black leggings underneath before walking down the hall.

“Can I come in?” I call as I knock.

Changmin almost immediately flings open the door, quickly pulling me in. “Of course. Thank goodness you’re here. Yunho hyung was making us wait for you before we ordered. I’m starving, noona!”

“As if we’d ever let that happen,” Jaejoong says, rolling his eyes and shaking his head from his position on the couch.

“You’d beat us up if we even tried,” Junsu chuckles, not taking his eyes away from his game.

“Probably,” Changmin smiles. “Can we call now, hyung?”

Yunho nods. “But I’m doing the ordering. Otherwise you’d sneak in extra things. I have what everybody else wants so is there anything in particular you’d like, _______?”

“Um,...”

“Noona,” Changmin whispers. Cupping his hand near my ear, he continues, “Can you get yakitori? I’ll share my gyoza with you.”

“Fifty-fifty?”

He nods.

“Deal,” I whisper back, winking. A little louder I say, “Do they have yakitori?”

“Sure. That’s what you want, right? Not what Changmin wants?” Yunho asks, cocking an eyebrow.

“Hyung! Why do you always suspect me?”

Yunho ignores him. “Do you really want yakitori? Don’t give him everything he wants.”

I smile to reassure him. “I do like it. As for Changmin, I can’t help it. He reminds me of my little brother.”

“What about me, ______?” Junsu asks.

“You too,” I laugh.

Satisfied, he smiles widely before returning his attention to the screen.

“Do you have any other siblings?” Jaejoong asks, patting the open seat beside him.

Walking over to sit down, I make myself comfortable. “I actually have two younger brothers.”

“So you’re the oldest?”

I nod. “Sometimes I felt like I was the mom more than an older sister. My parents worked a lot so I was usually the one taking care of my brothers.”

“You must miss them.”

“I do, very much, but I need to be here.”

“Why?”

I look down. “My job pays pretty well, better than what I’d probably find back home. Both of my brothers are still in college and one of them wants to go to medical school afterwards, but my parents can’t afford it on their own.”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of, ________. You’re taking care of your family.”

“I know. I just really miss them,” I say quietly, quickly wiping my eyes. Turning back to Jaejoong, I ask. “What about you? Do you have any siblings?”

He chuckles. “I have eight sisters, two half sisters, and a half brother”

“Eight sisters?”

“Technically ten, but I wasn’t raised with my half siblings.”

Keeping a straight face, I stick out my hand. Jaejoong looks at it then back at me, his eyes questioning. Slowly, he takes my hand and gives it a small shake.

“What was that for?” he asks when I let go.

“Congratulations for surviving living with eight sisters. My brothers complain enough about just me bossing them around, I don’t see how they could handle eight. Also an indirect props to your sisters for training you so well.”

Jaejoong’s face stays still for a few seconds before he bursts into laughter. The other three in the room look at him as he almost falls off the couch from laughing so hard.

“What did you say?” Yunho asks.

“I’m not quite sure,” I shrug, watching the still laughing Jaejoong. “I didn’t think it was that funny.”

“Don’t mind him,” Changmin tells him, scooting away from Jaejoong to sit on the floor by my feet. “He’s always like this.”

“Really? I didn’t think he laughed that much.”

Now it’s Changmin’s turn to laugh. “I thought he was a pretty cold person when I first met him too, but after a while I found out he can be as silly as Junsu sometimes. He just has to warm up to you.”

Yunho and Junsu nod in agreement.

“I was kinda scared of hyung too,” Junsu says.

“I’m not that bad. Omo, my ribs hurt,” Jaejoong finally manages. Flicking his hair out his face and trying to regain his breath, he adds, “It the last part that got me. You really sounded like my oldest noona. Why do noonas always say that?”

“The training part?”

He nods. 


“Because it’s true,” I shrug. “We train you to be good men, but it's kind of like trying to train puppies. It takes a lot of time, effort, threats, and bribes, and if we’re lucky you end up decent enough to release on the world. If we’re really lucky you’re house-trained by then too.”

This sets Jaejoong off again, but this time his laughter proves infectious as the others join in as well.

“What’s so funny?” Yoochun asks, coming into the room with a towel still around his neck. “Is Junsu practicing his cold jokes?”

“Nope,” Yunho says, still laughing a little. “_______’s just saying things that Jaejoong hyung finds hilarious and we can’t help laughing too.”

I giggle. “Maybe I should quit and start my career as a stand up comedian.”

“Yah! Where would that leave us?” Yoochun protests. “Plus,...”

Walking over, he takes my hand, gently tugging on it. I allow him to lift me from the couch and twirl me in a slow circle.

“You’re too pretty to be a gag woman. People would be too busy looking at you to notice what you were saying.”

I hear the others groan simultaneously as I duck my head, trying to hide my blush.

“Flirt,” I smile, hitting his chest lightly. “And a cheesy one at that.”

“I’ll admit it freely.”

“I don’t remember you being such a cheese-ball when we met.”

“I don’t remember you being as beautiful.”

“Yah!” I hit him again.

“Just kidding, ______-ah,” he laughs. “You must’ve been a real heart-breaker.”

“Not really,” I shrug. “Books were more interesting and guys didn’t like girls who were smart, so....”

“You’re kidding, right?” Changmin asks. “That’s dumb. Why would you want a girlfriend who you can’t have an intelligent conversation with?”

“Nope. Didn’t have my first boyfriend until college, but I dumped him after he tried getting me to cheat on his papers for him. I’m still trying to figure out why someone would want a someone without a brain.”

“Well, that guy was a pabo,” Yunho says, sitting down beside Jaejoong, who nods his head in agreement.

“You deserves better,” Junsu smiles.

“Met anyone in Korea you’re interested in yet?” Yoochun asks curiously.

I shake my head. “I haven’t had a chance to start thinking about that. I’ve been too busy with work and all. Besides,” I giggle. “My mom kind of told me not to date anyone here.”

“Why?” Jaejoong asks.

“Because it’d be a really long way to come for the wedding,” I laugh. The others laugh along with me.

“Mothers,” Changmin simply says, shaking his head. “Always jumping to marriage.”

Junsu reclaims my attention. “But would you date someone while you’re here, noona?”

“It’s a possibility,” I reply. "If I like them, why not?"

“Well, if you don’t find anyone, let us know,” Yunho says, winking. “We know some pretty good single guys.”

“I’m not sure if she’s ready to meet them yet,” Jaejoong chuckles.

“Who?” I ask.

“Super Junior,” Junsu says.

“Oh, them. You’re friends with them?”

“Of course. They’re SM too and my best friend Hyukjae is a member.”

“Hyukjae?”

“His stage name is Eunhyuk,” Changmin explains.

My soft “Oh,” of understanding is lost under the phone ringing. Yunho gets up to answer.

“Hello? Oh, you’re here. Okay, thank you. Someone will be down in a minute. Food’s here,” he announces. “I’ll go get it.”

“I’ll come too,” I offer, following him towards the door.

“Me three,” Changmin says, moving with lightening speed to join us.

We quickly make our way down the stairs to one of the side doors. Awaiting us is a delivery boy with four large bags of food. Yunho smiles and thanks him, reaching into his back pocket to pay him, but his hand comes back empty.

“That’s strange,” he says, beginning to check his other pockets. “I could’ve sworn I put it there.”

“You mean this, hyung?” Changmin laughs, pulling money from his jeans to hand to the boy.

“Where’d you find that?” Yunho asks as we head back up the stairs.

“You left it on the counter after you ordered and forgot to pick it up when Jaejoong hyung started laughing.”

“Oh, right. Thanks for watching out for me, Min-ah,” he laughs.

Changmin smiles and starts taking the stairs two at a time.

“Not fair, long legs,” I mutter.

   
    A few hours later the six of us are gathered around the television watching a movie none of us know the title of, enjoying our food induced coma. True to his word, Changmin split his gyoza with me while I gave him some of my yakitori. Actually, everyone ended up sharing their food, willing or not. Junsu, Jaejoong, and Yunho lay on the pillow covered floor in a pile while I’m snuggled in between Changmin and Yoochun on the couch. Without realizing it, I start falling asleep, only waking up when my head hits Yoochun’s shoulder.

“Ow, ______ what’re you-?” Yoochun’s face breaks out into a gentle smile as he looks into my half closed eyes. “Aw, someone’s tired.”

“No, I’m not,” I protest through a yawn.

“Yes, you are. Come on, bedtime.”

“But I don’t want to move.”

“Here.” He gets up and squats down in front of me. “Get on.”

“Fine.” Lazily, I slide myself onto Yoochun’s back. “Goodnight guys,”

    Their murmured ‘goodnights’ quickly fades as Yoochun carries me across the hall and manages to open the door. Using one hand, he pulls back the covers before slowly lowering me into the bed.

“Goodnight, ______,” he whispers, pulling the covers over me.

I snuggle in, answering without thinking, “Goodnight, oppa. Love you.”

I hear him chuckle, but I’m unsure if I’m still conscious or if I’m dreaming for his reply.

“Love you too.”

==========================================

Annyoung lovelies! I think I've finally been able to map out the plotline for this story so updates should be quicker. Woots! All I have to do is fill in the details. Anyway, thanks for being patient and sticking around and I hope you enjoy it. Saranghae!

ChinkyKayla: They'll get her out of that habit soon enough, but can you blame her? Being surrounded by five incredibly good looking and just incredible men in general has gotta have an effect on a girl.

middle11992:ke ke, thanks. I fall in love with them more everyday.

trishababes21: mianhae, i'll try to be better about updating ^^

yellow14: hi dongsaeng! Thanks for subscribing to this story too. Love you too.