Mine?

The Luck of Encounters

“Too early,” I mumble when my alarm rings, reaching with one arm for the snooze.

Instead of finding the alarm clock, my fingers encounter something soft and fuzzy. I squint, rubbing my eyes. Confused, I look at my side and my empty arm.

“How the heck did you get there, Wangja?” I wonder out loud, still confused as to how the bear is sitting up on my bedside table when I normally keep him locked to my side.

    Something around Wangja’s neck catches a ray of sun sneaking through the curtains, glinting. Leaning out of bed, I bring it closer to figure out what it is. When I do, I can’t believe it. Nestled against the white fur is the jade butterfly pendant from the carnival. Although there’s no note, I know exactly who it was, even if I don’t know why.  Unable to contain my smile or my pleasure, I bolt out of my room and into the guys’.

I barely notice the others standing in the kitchen as I whiz by on my way to their bedroom to pounce on Yoochun, who's still in bed. “Thank you, oppa! Thank you so much!”

“Found your present, huh?” he asks sleepily, sitting up and hugging me back.

I nod my head vigorously against his chest.

Yoochun laughs, yawning a little. “I wanted to give it you the night I got it, but I got distracted. I found it last night and figured it might help cheer you up, but I didn’t want to wake you up.”

“You didn’t have to get it for me,” I say, pulling away and sitting back on my knees.

“I wanted to,” he shrugs. “Consider it a very belated present for all the birthdays I missed.”

I frown.“But I haven’t gotten you anything.”

He smiles and ruffles my hair. “Don’t worry about it, _____-ah. You’ve got awhile unless you suddenly decide to disappear on me.”

I notice a shift of something in his eyes, but it’s gone so quickly that I dismiss it.

“Not until you tell me to,” I smile, sliding off the bed and grabbing his hand. “Come on, I’m hungry.”

Yoochun groans, trying to wiggle back under the covers. “But it’s warm.”

“Yah,” I giggle, tugging the blanket away. “We only have an hour before we have to leave and you’ll be cranky if you don’t eat anything.”

“All right, umma. I’m getting up,” he teases.

I reluctantly let go of his hand when we leave the bedroom, but my smiles hangs on.

“Hello again, _____,” Yunho teases when we come out. “Do we get to know what caused the whirlwind of squealing so early this morning?”

“I didn’t squeal,” I retort as I sit beside him. “Squealing’s too girly girl.”

“So says the person wearing Fruits Basket chibi pajamas.”

Temporarily distracted, I look down at my pajamas. “What? They’re cute.”

“Never mind. Is one of you going to tell us?”

“Oh.” I hold up the necklace proudly. “Yoochun got this for me!”

“It’s the one you were looking at at the carnival,” Junsu exclaims, smiling with me.

“Sneaky,” Jaejoong laughs, to which Yoochun only grins and shrugs.

“Well, try it on,” Yunho says.

“Yah, hyung. You buy a girl a necklace and you don’t even help her put it on? You call yourself a gentleman?” Changmin scolds.

“Aish, give me a break, it’s still early,” Yoochun replies, stepping behind me and taking the necklace.

Changmin smirks from behind his mug, his glance flicking between me and Yoochun.

I’m unsure of whether to look grateful or glare at him since the feeling of Yoochun’s fingers brushing the back of my neck makes me shiver.

The others clap and compliment me on how good it looks.

“Cold?” Yoochun wraps his arms around my shoulders, resting his head on my shoulder.

“I’m fine,” I say, feeding him a piece of kiwi from the bowl Jaejoong put in front of me.

He chews it and sighs, closing his eyes. “You smell nice.”

“You’re going to fall asleep. Go sit down,” Junsu laughs, pushing lightly on Yoochun’s shoulder. “If you’re cold, _____, you can borrow my jacket.”

As Yoochun’s arms slip from my shoulders, something else warms replaces them.

“I got you, noona,” Changmin smiles, making sure his sweater covers my arms and giving my shoulders a little squeeze.

“Thanks, Changmin,” I smile back.

“Oh, by the way, are we doing anything tonight?” Yoochun asks, helping himself to my food even as I swat his hand away.

“Not really,”Yunho answers. “They have to repair parts of the stage, so we don’t have to go to the arena. Why? Got another hot date?”

“Actually, I invited Jaehwa over to watch a movie with us. Is that all right?”

And just like that, my wonderful morning bubble is popped. I notice Changmin glance at me, but I act like nothing happened.

“Sure,” Yunho replies. “So are you two a thing now?”

Yoochun squeezes two fingers together. “Almost. We’re still taking it slow.”

“What time should we expect her?” Jaejoong asks, sitting opposite me.

“Around 7:30 since her photo-shoot today lasts until seven-ish. She’s going to have someone drop her off here. _____, why aren’t you eating?”

I push the nearly full bowl away. “I’m-

“Don’t say you’re full. You only ate a few pieces.” Reaching over, Yoochun picks up a strawberry and puts it in front of my lips. Gesturing with his eyes, he rests the fruit on my lips. “With all the talking you do, you need a good breakfast too.”

Obligingly, I open my mouth and eat the fruit.

Satisfied, Yoochun returns his attention to his own breakfast.

    I finish mine reluctantly and after helping clean up quickly scurry away to get dressed. I leave the necklace on. Changmin gives me a look as we’re waiting for the vans, but I start talking with Junsu about Yejin, needing a little more time to myself.

When the time comes for individual shots for the magazine interview, he successfully corners me when I go to get water. “_____, are you doing all right?”

“No. I’m about to have a huge, melodramatic meltdown that’ll totally blow my secret,” I say sarcastically, instantly wincing at my tone. “Mianhae. I know you’re just trying to help.”

“It’s all right. You’re nothing compared to Yunho hyung when he bites your head off.”

“I’m not going to cry. I just wasn’t expecting to have to deal with her till later.”

“Me neither,” he admits, sipping his water and sinking down beside me on the floor.

“But now I have to be nice to her.”

“Only if she is to you. Maybe she’ll turn out to be a complete witch and Yoochun will drop her on the spot.”

“Wishful thinking,” I sigh, curling my knees up and resting my chin on them. “She’s probably an angel that I won’t be able to hate and Yoochun definitely won’t drop.”

“Yah, noona. Don’t give up yet.”Changmin nudges me with his knee. Gently flicking the necklace, he reminds me, “He gave you this, didn’t he? There’s hope.”

I slowly nod, thinking it over.

 

    Changmin’s promise of hope is only a quickly dwindling spark by the time we return to the dorm. I help Jaejoong make dinner so I don’t have to see Yoochun’s increasingly eager face. When the doorbell rings, I take a deep breath, fix a smile on my face, and go out with the others.

“Hello,” Jaehwa says with a smile as Yoochun lets her in. “Oh, you’re here too.”

“Her room’s right down the hall so she’s here all the time,” Junsu replies.

“We keep her around for entertainment,” Jaejoong laughs, resting a hand on my head.

“What am I, a pet?” I ask, giving a small smile and poking his ribs.

“Jaehwa, you hungry?” Yoochun asks, bringing her attention back to him. “Jaejoong hyung made dinner and we can watch the movie after.”

She smiles at him and moves closer.“Sounds good to me.”

    I don’t talk much during dinner since Jaehwa seems to focus on the guys, so I watch the two of them. They act like they’re dating already, trying to give the other the best tidbits, finding excuses to touch each others’ hand. I barely manage to control my gag reflex. Thankfully, the dinner torture is over relatively quickly. At least during the movie I can tune them out.

    Jaehwa and Yoochun claim the main couch, sitting so close you could barely fit a piece of paper between them. The rest of us squeeze onto the other couch with me sandwiched between Junsu and Yunho.

“I’m thirsty. Anyone else want something?” I ask, wiggling out of my seat when the trailers start.

As the guys give me their requests, Jaehwa gets up to and smiles at me. “I’ll help you.”

I nod and smile back absently.

She follows me into the kitchen and leans against the counter as I get out the glasses and pour the drinks. “Yoochun’s told me so much about you. I can’t believe he remembered you after so long. You seemed to have reconnected well.”

Dismissing her emphasis on ‘can’t believe’ and ‘you’ as my petty side hearing things, I nod. “I’m lucky. He’s a very good friend.”

“Lucky,” Jaehwa agrees. “_____.”

I look up from putting away a carton of juice. “Yes?”

“It may seem rude, but there’s nothing going on between the two of you, right?”

“We’re just friends,” I reply, glad I’ve gotten better at telling this lie.

“Good,” Jaehwa says, a smirk flitting across her face. “Because he’s mine.”

My hand tightens around a glass. “Excuse me?”

“You know. Like my Valentine,” she giggles, shrugging her shoulders and drawing a heart with her fingers. Snapping up her and Yoochun’s glasses, she walks away.

“Oh.” I carefully lift the remaining drinks and follow her, wondering if my jealous mind is just trying to find problems with Jaehwa.

++++++++++++++++++

“So what’d you guys think?” Yoochun asks, lying on his bed after Jaehwa and _____ have left and everyone’s getting ready for bed.

“She’s nice,” Junsu smiles.

“And polite,” Yunho adds.

“She’s a little too giggly for me,” Changmin says, leaning against the wall. “And her conversation was too light, not much substance.”

“Changmin, you can’t expect everyone to be a genius,” Jaejoong laughs, sitting beside him. “It was only her first night. Do you have deep conversations with people the first or second time you meet them?”

“It’s ok, hyung. Nothing’s going to ruin my mood. It’s great having a girl,” Yoochun sighs, putting his hands behind his head, lying down, and closing his eyes. “Not that Jaehwa’s my girl yet, but it’ll happen. You three singletons should get a move on.”

“Can’t brag enough, can you?” Yunho laughs, sitting on his own bed. “As much as I’d like a girlfriend, I just haven’t found the right girl yet.”

Changmin rubs his chin. “Yoochun hyung.”

“What is it, little buddy?” Yoochun smiles, keeping his eyes closed.

“First, I’m going to let your calling me ‘little buddy’ pass since I’m in a relatively good mood. Second, what would you think if I asked ______ noona on a date?”

Yunho gives him a strange look while Junsu and Jaejoong look surprised. Yoochun’s eyes jerk open to meet Changmin’s.

Changmin gazes back at him with a poker face.

“Since when are you interested in _______?” Jaejoong asks.

Changmin shrugs. “She’s polite, incredibly intelligent, pretty, giving, and I know she doesn’t care that I’m famous...what’s not to like?”

“Are you serious?”

“Maybe. The idea just kind of popped into my head.”

“Well,...it’s not like _______’s my girlfriend,” Yoochun says slowly. “You don’t need my permission.”

“You’re right. I don’t and I wasn’t asking for it,” Changmin admits.

“Then why ask?” Yoochun’s voice carries a hint of annoyance.

“Just to see what you think she’d say.”

“I don’t know. She hasn’t mentioned wanting to date. Period. I guess you could ask, but you better not be playing around with her or I will kick your , dongsaeng or not.”

Changmin holds both hands up. “Like I said, it was only a thought. You seriously think I’d play with noona? I respect her. Besides, the more I think about it...she’s too much like a sister, so I wouldn’t be able to date her. Forget what I said.”

“Aish, you think so much you make my head hurt” Yoochun complains, flopping back down. “Just go to sleep.”

Shaking their heads at the magnae’s ridiculousness, Junsu and Jaejoong get up to finish getting ready to sleep.

Yunho scoots to the end of his bed and whispers, “What was that about?”

Changmin looks back at him, studying his face. He quietly chuckles and whispers back, “Why ask when I have a feeling you already know?”

“_____’s not going to be happy if she finds out what you did.”

“I know. It’s for her own good though.”

++++++++++++++++++

“So, _____, what’d you think of Jaehwa? I didn’t get a chance to ask last night,” Yoochun says the next afternoon during the break of yet another photo shoot.

“My opinion matters?” I joke, inwardly groaning since I’d been avoiding thinking about her all morning. Walking away a little, I look out from the rooftop at the city sprawl.

“Course it does. You’re one of my best friends.”

“She’s nice. You look good together,” I reluctantly say, knowing it’s the answer he wants.

“Yoochun, it’s your turn,” Yunho calls, leaving the set and walking towards us.

“Be right back, ______,” Yoochun smiles, ruffling my hair and sauntering away.

I look at Yunho when he stands beside me. “Looking good, leader,” I compliment.

“Thanks, _____.” Yunho leans against the railing. “Can I ask you something?”

“You just did,” I laugh.

“Okay, can I ask you two more questions then?” he asks, rolling his eyes.

I smile and close my eyes, enjoying the afternoon breeze. “Shoot. And be careful since you only have one left.”

“...You do like Yoochun, right? Not Changmin?”

I spit out my water, glad I was facing away from everyone. Wiping my mouth, I glance at Yunho. “Do I have a ‘_____ loves Yoochun’ neon sign on my forehead or something?”

He laughs and shakes his head. “Being the leader means I’ve gotten use to looking after people I’m around a lot and picking up on things. That and I heard what you said the first day we met Jaehwa about Yoochun not looking at you that way.”

I groan and smack my forehead. “Me and my big mouth.”

“Don’t worry about me telling Yoochun,” Yunho says with a wink. “Leaders also know how to keep secrets too.”

I give him a grateful smile. “Thanks, oppa. You don’t think I’m a hopeless case?”

“Not really. It takes a while for Yoochun to figure things out, but maybe once we go back to Seoul he’ll figure out how he feels about you.”

“You think he likes me?”

“Possibly,” he shrugs. “I mean, he’s with Jaehwa now, but we’ll see how that goes.”

“Oh. Oppa, why did you mention Changmin earlier? What made you think I like him too?”

Yunho quickly looks away. “You don’t want to know.”

My suspicion aroused, I narrow my eyes and move so I’m looking at his face. “What?”

“Um, why don’t you ask him?” He points to a smiling Changmin who’s coming closer.

“Shim Changmin. What did you do?” I ask, putting my hands on my hips.

Changmin glances behind me at Yunho and laughs, saying, “Nothing you need to worry about, noona.”

“Changmin,” I repeat in a warning tone.

He shrugs and gives me an innocent smile. “I just did a little test is all.”

I stare him down, but he keeps that smile on his face until I heave an exasperated sigh and give up. “Fine. Don’t tell me, almighty Changmin, because you’re above us all.”

“Almighty Changmin. I like the ring of that.”

“Now look what you did, ______,” Yunho groans.

“I did nothing,” I laughingly protest, the other two laughing as well.

“What are we missing over here? It sounds fun,” Jaejoong says with a smile as he and the others join us.

“Nothing,” Changmin replies, still chuckling. Slinging an arm around my shoulder, he adds, “Just noona being herself.”

Glancing at Yoochun, I notice him watching at me. When he catches my eye, he just smiles and winks, but something else that I can’t figure out is still under his smile.

===================

Annyoung my lovely readers! So, I know it isn't exactly what you wanted, but it's something, right? Maybe Changmin's efforts won't be for nought and Yoochun will come to his senses...or maybe not. We'll see. Hope you all are healthy, happy, and generally having a good life and thank you for your support. Saranghae!

ankeaenkeli: I think she/you feels that tryinng to make Yoochun jealous with Changmin would hurt the guys' relationship. However, as we can see, clever Minnie is nudging Yoochun along the path to realization anyway.

nar12345: He is greedy, but not intentionaly. That's just how he is. The dilema will be revealed later on, scattered in the story before it ties together. Ke ke, hormones are just dumb over all. Maybe I should give him amnesia so he forgets Jaehwa...just kidding.

MewNikkiChan: *Sigh* In real life, maybe. He's so perfect because I honestly can't choose between him and Yoochun as my bias in DBSK, but Yoochun worked better for this story. Oh, yeah, there's a reason Jaehwa's here, but I'm not sure you'll like it when it comes up...

tchiharahara: oh, Changmin did, just without letting the reader in on the plan. Sweetly evil magnae. I'll keep writing. ^^

WhiteAutumn_x: I'm not really sure. I haven't tried it yet...

Mionyu: Aw, thanks! ^^ Ke ke, I like your way of thinking.

Jun_KOI_Mi: Hormones. Seriously, I have seen them in action. Hormones turn rational, sweetheart guys into drooling zombies when they see a "hottie". And that's when I give my guy friends a good smack to give them a reality check. If it doesn't work, I just sit back and wait for them to come to their senses.

Cassielndo: Aw, thanks! ^^

yellow14: Ke ke. Correct.

ChinkyKayla: Ke ke, it's ok. I think if they'd met under other circumstances, he might of, but like he said, the reader's Yoochun's (even if he doesn't realize it), so she became a sister instead.

Champions27: Thanks indeed.

PurpleangelSJ: Exactly. Sweet Junsu can't keep his mind off you because he's so happy you're finally his girl ;) Changmin's the best. Oh, I'm sorry. I would change it, but that'd confuse people. Love you too. ^^

SuperSHINeeB2STJr: It's begun! Ke ke. She might not have, but that tricky Changmin went ahead and did it anyway. Omo, it's amazing! My first DBSK mv ever was Mirotic and his voice just hit me. As soon as it ended, I looked at my friend who showed it to me and said, "The one who was in the water, that one's mine." Ke ke.