Chapter 2

Cold Hearts

That was a year and half ago.

He hadn’t seen or heard from her since. He had tried talking to Minho’s girlfriend Suzy but she had refused to tell him her number or tell him where she was. The only thing he knew about her was that her name was Yura.

Jonghyun wasn’t heartbroken. He wasn’t that type of person. Neither had he stopped sleeping with other women, he and Junsu were still the most eligible bachelors in the country. Jonghyun just wanted to find her out of pure desire. He wanted her.

Yura on the other hand, had almost forgotten Jonghyun. Almost, but not completely. There were still nights when her mind would wander off to the night at the club, nights when she still wore his shirt, the faint scent of his body lingering on the shirt. Those nights were the worst, and she’d always have to remind herself that it was nothing but a fling.

She was too busy looking for a new job to worry about him anyway. Yura never really wanted to be an air hostess, she was unemployed when she was scouted by someone and she didn’t really have a choice but to accept otherwise she’d be living on the street. What she really wanted to be was a designer, designing clothes that made women feel good about themselves, feel like they could take on the world.

But there weren’t many jobs that would allow her in without experience. Which was the stupidest thing she’d ever heard. How was she supposed to get experience without a job in the 1st place?

“What the hell am I supposed to do? It’s like at every turn the world just doesn’t want me to have what I want.” Yura hissed in frustration.

“Hey don’t give up! You can’t give up on your dream!” Hani soothed her. Yura buried her head in her hands.

“I don’t understand how people can do this.”

“Do what?”

“Keep going for their dream without losing motivation.”

“Don’t think like that? You need to- “

“Hani, I swear if you’re going to give me that cheesy motivational crap about a growth mindset or whatever I will kill you.” Yura glared at her friend. Hani pouted and shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, it’s not Hani’s fault Yura is sad, so why is Yura snapping at Hani? Hani is just trying to cheer her up.” Hani said in a baby voice. They both stared at each other for a second before they both snorted with laughter. They both drew attention from passers-by as they sat on the park benches screeching with laughter.

“What the hell was that voice Hani?” Yura barely managed to choke out. Hani shook her head while she shook with now silent laughter.

“You should be used to it by now anyway.”

“It still doesn’t make it any less annoying.”

“Well hopefully this will make me less annoying.” Hani reached in her bag and pulled out a paper file, handing it to Yura.

“What’s this?” Yura asked curiously, taking the file.

“Just a job offer I came across.” Hani said holding back a smile. Yura opened the file. She only had to read the first couple of lines before a huge smile came across her face.

“HH Designs?! How the hell did you find this?” Yura gasped in surprise.

“I managed to get a modelling contract there and I heard some people complaining about a job opening,” Hani explained with a smile, “I know it’s only a secretary position but- “

“No this is perfect!” Yura leaned over and gave Hani a tight hug.

“Are you sure? I can ask if they want an apprentice designer or something- “

“No, this is perfect, thank you!” Yura smiled gratefully. Hani stood up and held out her hand.

“Come on!”

“Where are we going?” Yura asked in confusion.

“Interview clothes shopping!”

“Huh? But I haven’t even filled out an application yet!” Hani rolled her eyes and said:

“I filled one out for you and sent it.”

What?!” Yura screeched in shock.

“The deadline was this evening and I didn’t want you to stress over writing the perfect application, which you always do. Now come on, let’s go!”

“But I already have clothes.” Yura grumbled.

“You’re going to be working in HH Designs, you need fashionable clothes.”

“Are you saying I’m not fashionable?” Yura flipped her hair in mock outrage.

“Yep. Now let’s go!” Yura grabbed Hani’s hand and they walked merrily to the thrift shop. Hani would always try to buy something for Yura but it was always very pricey for her tastes. So, they always went to the thrift shops, that way if Hani wanted to buy anything for Yura, it wouldn’t be that much.

 

 

Across town at his offices, Jonghyun was busy searching for his next holiday destination. Spain, Macau, Magaluf; it wasn’t hard to guess that Jonghyun was a guy that liked to party. And he was planning to throw his most outrageous party yet for his birthday in a few months’ time.

There was a knock on the door and Jonghyun’s father walked in. He was a spitting image of Jonghyun, but a lot older with the signs of stress evident on his face.

“Hello father, what brings you here?” Jonghyun asked, not glancing up from his computer.

“Just thought I would see how you are getting on with the company. Any difficulties?” He asked nonchalantly.

“No, the staff do their work well.” Jonghyun replied shortly.

There was an awkward silence.

“What are you doing now?” Jonghyun’s father walked over to stand behind him, looking at his computer screen.

“Looking at destinations for the next release show.” Jonghyun lied quickly. He’d heard some of his staff say the same thing before, even though he had no idea what a release show actually entailed.

“Oh? You’re taking a personal interest in this release?” His father sounded surprised.

“It’s about time I fully involved myself in a collection.”

“Well make sure you hire a secretary quickly then, you’ll drown in work if you don’t!” His father chuckled before patting his shoulders.

“I will father, the interviews are tomorrow.”

“Good. Remember; secretaries are not just pretty faces that guests see!” His father left after leaving those words of advice, leaving Jonghyun glaring at him in his wake.

“No they aren’t; yours became your latest mistress!” He hissed under his breath. Suddenly Jonghyun couldn’t concentrate anymore as his thoughts kept shifting to his father.

His mother was still living with his father, though the two hardly spoke despite living with each other. His father kept mistresses often, sometimes multiple people at one time. Jonghyun despised each and every one of these women. They weren’t typical mistresses; they weren’t half his father’s age or stunningly beautiful. They were all previously divorced women who were just revelling in their new ‘freedom.’

But what annoyed Jonghyun the most was that they all tried to play the role of his mother. His mother was still in his life and he knew very well he was the apple of her eyes.

How dare these women try to replace his mother!

Jonghyun shook his head quickly trying to clear his head; he had enough things to worry about right now. Taking an interest in the new collection?! He really couldn’t care less! But now his father was expecting that the collection would be a huge success, so he had to take more interest. He called his PR manager, Donghan.

“Yes sir?”

“Have the design team come up with something for the new collection?” Jonghyun asked.

“No sir not yet, they are still going through the initial ideas.” Donghan replied.

“Any decisions and meeting regarding this new collection go through me from now on, understand?” Jonghyun ordered.

“Sir?” Donghan asked in confusion.

“I want to be in every meeting about this collection, I want to be fully informed and involved in the process. Do you understand?” Jonghyun explained.

“Yes sir but-“

“Just get it done.” Jonghyun snapped irritably.

“Yes sir.” Donghan replied obediently and put the phone down. Jonghyun sighed as he realised he needed to hire the new secretary quickly, so he wouldn’t drown in the amount of paperwork coming and so he’d know when all the meetings were.

The applications were stacked in a large pile on his desk.

“This is going to take forever.” Jonghyun mumbled as he picked up the first folder. He opened the binder and glanced through the application. It was okay but the answers were generic, something that you could open any sub-standard application and find. There were no pictures of the applicants so he would have to see what they looked like on the day. Whether they would fit into the company.

He glanced back at the large stack of files on his desk and groaned.

“Tomorrow is going to be a long day.”