Chapter 4

Cold Hearts

Yura and Jonghyun blinked as the scenario flashed before their eyes. Obviously, they didn’t know what the other saw, so Jonghyun just cleared his throat and said:

“I am CEO Hong, Miss Yura. Please come inside.” He gestured towards his office.

“Thank you.” Yura walked forward, trying to hide her shakiness at the unexpected coincidence. She took a seat opposite the large, oak desk just as Jonghyun settled in his black leather chair. Yura noticed he looked more handsome in his sleek black suit and white tie, than in the black shirt she remembered him in. Jonghyun kept his eyes focused on her application before he said:

“So, Miss Kim, you have very limited experience in this field. In fact, almost none at all?”

“Correct Mr Hong.” Yura said stiffly.

“So why have you applied for one of Asia’s leading fashion companies? You realise your lack of experience puts you at a distinct disadvantage to the other candidates?”

“I do realise this.”

“So why did you apply?” Yura took a deep breath to calm herself before explaining.

“I learn by observation. Even just seeing things done in this environment is a way of training for me.”

“But you do realise you won’t be able to take part in the designer training as my assistant?” Jonghyun said sharply.

“Yes, I do but like I said, just seeing this environment and watching people design is ample training for me.” Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at her, trying not to show he was a little impressed by her answers. She wasn’t a yes-person, so at least she would be honest. But he didn’t think they could work together, he was too attracted to her and he didn’t trust himself not to do something stupid.

“Unfortunately, Miss Kim- “He was interrupted by the door to his office opening.

“Jonghyun you need to go over these files before the meeting tomorrow.” Jonghyun clenched his jaw as he replied:

“Of course, Father, but I’m in the middle of an interview.”

“Interview?”

Father? You have to be kidding me.

Jonghyun’s father turned around and smiled at Yura.

“Nice to meet you!” He held out an old wrinkled hand which Yura took.

“Nice to meet you too.”

“I think Miss..?”

“Kim. Kim Yura.” Yura clarified.

“I think Miss Kim would be perfect for the job.”

“Father, she has no experience in this field.”

“It’s not as if she’s going to be designing anything! She’s your secretary.”

“Father.” Jonghyun sighed.

“No Jonghyun, I think Miss Kim is a perfect candidate. She’s hired.” Yura was extremely surprised at what just happened. Jonghyun just sighed and held out his hand for Yura to shake.

“Welcome aboard Miss Kim. You start tomorrow at 7am.” Jonghyun said. Yura shook his hand slowly, ignoring the electric surge she felt as their hands touched. Jonghyun’s father left the room and Jonghyun dropped her hand as soon as the door closed.

“Well Miss Kim, it seems that you have my father’s favour,” He said coldly, “But that does not mean that it gets you an easy ride. I expect you to be here tomorrow for 7am on the dot. We have a busy day tomorrow.” Yura nodded in understanding.

“You are dismissed.” Jonghyun waved his hand dismissively. Yura walked out wondering what the hell had just happened. As she walked to the elevator she her phone and messaged Hani.

Y: I’m coming out now, interview is finished.

As the elevator doors opened her phone beeped in response.

H: Finally! I’m outside, you can tell me about while we go and pick up takeout!

Yura smiled at her best friend’s text. Even though she knew takeout was a huge mistake, she really needed it after tonight. She sighed and slumped against the elevator, pushing her hair back from her face. As she waked out through the almost empty reception she could feel the cool breeze coming from the doors and was glad to go from warm, almost stuffy environment of the office.

“Yura!” she turned around to find Hani waving at her from inside her car. Yura rushed over gratefully and got inside the passenger seat. Hani gave her a brief hug before starting the car engine.

“How was the interview.” Yura slumped in the car seat before admitting.

“It was weird.”

“Weird? How?” Hani furrowed her eyebrows.

“Well for starters the CEO of the company is that friend of Suzy’s boyfriend.”

“Junsu?”

“No! The other one.” Yura waved her hand. She regretted it as soon as she said it when Hani grinned mischievously.

“Jonghyun? The one whose name you mumble in your sleep sometimes?” Yura flushed.

“I do not!” She denied as she hit Hani’s shoulder, making her laugh.

“Uh-huh, sure you don’t!” Hani grinned as she pulled up at the takeaway place. After Yura gave her half of the money (they each payed for half) Hani went to get the takeout. Yura sighed and rubbed her forehead.

Why him of all people?

There was a part of her that was screaming for her to not accept the job anymore and the other side was saying that she should push through. This was her dream after all. Why should she give it up just because of a mistake she made an entire year ago?

“Yura?” Hani interrupted her thoughts, “What are you thinking?” Yura just shook her head.

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it.”

“Are you sure?” Hani pressed, knowing her friend better than that.

“I’ll tell you when we get back, I just want to get out of these clothes.” Hani nodded and they both drove home in silence.

Once they got back, Yura practically jumped out of the work clothes and dressed in a baggy sweat-shirt and pants. Switching on the TV, but turning the volume down, she started unpacking the food with Hani.

“So, what happened?” Hani sighed.

“He was about to tell me I didn’t get the job- “

“Why?” Hani interrupted.

“I didn’t have ‘enough experience’ according to him.” Yura replied.

“So what?”

“Do you want me to tell the story or not?” Yura smiled.

“Sorry!” Hani put her hands up, “Carry on!”

“So he was about to tell me I didn’t get the job when his dad walked in.” Hani gasped.

“The head of the entire conglomerate?” Yura nodded, “Oh my God.”

“I know. So basically he just looked at me, looked at Jonghyun and told him to give me the job!”

“What the hell?”

“I know!” Yura exclaimed, full of takeaway food. She scoffed at the thought.

“That’s just weird.”

“I know. Do you think I need to be careful when he’s around?” Yura asked.

“Maybe but I don’t think anyone that high up can risk anything with everything that he could potentially lose,” Hani replied, “Even so, make sure you can defend yourself in the worst possible situation.”

“Yeah, true.”

“But anyway, you’ll be working alongside him; are you sure you’ll be okay?”

“Sure, I think so.” Yura shrugged.

“Yura… you can’t fool me you know.” Hani raised an eyebrow. Yura was about to protest but she thought better of it once she saw the look on Hani’s face. She sighed and stared straight ahead at the TV.

“I wanted to kiss him you know.” Hani coughed and spluttered on her drink.

“What?”

“I wanted to kiss him. That first time saw him at the club. There was something about him; maybe it was his eyes I don’t know.” She leaned back and sighed.

“You’ll be alright. It was over a year ago. This is your dream. Don’t let anything stop you.” Hani squeezed her shoulder encouragingly.

They both finished the food quickly and set off to bed. As they said good night and settled underneath the sheets, Yura’s mind slipped back to distant memories.

 

 

1 year ago…

 

Yura woke up in thick, warm sheets. As she adjusted to the morning, she became aware of the warm presence behind her, the muscular arm around her waist and the soft breathing into her ear. She turned around slowly to see Jonghyun’s almost peaceful face behind her.

He was asleep, his chest rising and falling evenly. Yura’s memory flashed back to the previous night and she couldn’t help the warmth rush to her face. She reached up and used the very tips of her fingers to brush the outlines of his features. The bridge of his nose, the shape of his lips, the sharp outline of his jaw.

She didn’t have any thoughts really. Just a desire to want to stay here, in his warm embrace a little longer. He was very handsome, she had to admit it as she looked at him. What made her heart thump louder in her chest was when Jonghyun unconsciously took her hand from his face and held it in his tightly.

“Stay here… just a little longer.” He groaned. Yura wondered whether he meant for her to hear or if he was just rambling from his dream. Either way she didn’t want to go. Not just yet. So, she leaned in and pressed her lips to his gently.

What she didn’t expect was for Jonghyun to wrap his arms around her and pull her closer towards him, kissing her firmly and passionately. Although surprised, she wrapped her arms around his neck and settled into his kiss.

She just wanted to pretend a little more.

Before she goes back to the real world.