Chapter 3

Cold Hearts

 

Hani was fussing with Yura’s hair.

“Yow! Hani that hurts!” Yura clutched her scalp in pain.

“You must suffer for beauty, Yura.” Hani said in a sagely voice.

“I’m already pretty…” Yura grumbled, pouting slightly.

“Well you can’t just be pretty, you need to be stunning!”

“But I’m not a model! Why do I need to look good?” Yura complained.

“Hey, don’t you know how important a secretary is?” Hani put down the hairbrush and sat in front of Yura.

“You’re responsible for representing your boss. Even if you want to scream at people you have to maintain your image at all times. You reflect your boss.”

“Really?” Yura asked. Hani nodded in response.

“You’ll have to accompany your boss to all his events. National and international.”

“But I can’t-“

“They’ll pay for your flights, you just have to book them and write it up as a work expense.” Hani assured her. Yura sighed and smiled gratefully at Hani.

“Have I ever told you how grateful I am?” She asked. Hani chuckled softly and replied:

“Only every hour since I told you about this job.”

“But I am grateful.” Yura smiled sweetly.

“Wait till you get the job first. Then you’ll be killing me for getting you it!”

Yura just chuckled and swiped on some mascara, making sure to coat each lash in the thick, black substance. Her make-up was almost complete; she just needed to decide on a lipstick colour.

“Hani? Which one should I go for?” Yura held up her lipstick tubes in the various shades. Hani sighed dramatically:

“Honestly, how would you survive without me? And how is it your designs are gorgeous, but you can’t dress yourself?” Yura just shrugged.

“I don’t really know what looks good on me, but I know what would work on others.” Hani rolled her eyes.

“Of course, I forgot. You can see the beauty in everyone else, except yourself. And I know exactly who to bla-“

“We’re not talking about that,” Yura said sharply, “Not today.”

“Why? You need to do something about-“

“I know Hani, I know. But I can’t think about that today. I’ve got more important things to remember.” Yura took Hani’s hand softly and squeezed.

“Alright, but we need to talk about it sooner or later alright?” Hani gestured to a tube of pink-orange lipstick. Yura smiled in thanks as she applied the lipstick carefully, before pouting in the mirror. Hani chuckled behind her and she turned to see her recording with her phone. Yura hid her face in embarrassment for a second before standing up and making a series of ‘high-fashion’ poses. Hani screeched loudly as she tried to keep the camera recording.

“Shall we get the Polaroid?” Yura asked. Hani nodded and clapped excitedly. Yura took out the Polaroid from a wooden box and walked to sit over by Hani. They both played around as they took instant shots of themselves.

“Ah these turned out so bad!” Hani complained.

“Nobody will see them except us!” Yura laughed as she put them in another box, already stuffed with Polaroid pictures.

“Come on, grab your stuff. We’ll go together since I have a shoot there today.” Yura nodded and grabbed her bag before running to meet Hani at the door.

“So what kind of photoshoot are you doing today?” She asked as she got her heels on.

“It’s just a small one for their sportswear side. I have a few bigger ones with them lined up once they come up with their next collection.”

“Oh that sounds cool!”

“Maybe you should try modelling too!” Hani suggested.

“That’s hilarious.” Yura scoffed.

“Why not? You’re tall, you’ve got good curves, you should go for it!”

“How’s the boyfriend, Hani?” Yura tried to change the subject desperately.

“He’s not a boyfriend Yura. He’s just a friend.”

“A friend whose house you stay over at?”

“Yeah, friends do that. Like us; we live together!” Hani reasoned.

“Yeah but we don’t do…” Yura trailed off.

“Don’t do what?”

That.” At her suggestion, Hani turned bright red and began to get flustered.

“We….w-w-we’re-“ Yura just nudged Hani with her shoulder.

“You know I’m just teasing you Hani.”

“Ugh, I’d love to ruffle your hair but you’ve got the interview.”

“Yes, don’t touch the hair.” Yura warned Hani as she tossed her long, straight black hair over her shoulder.

They arrived at the building and Yura was stunned by the elegance of the building itself. The black building seemed to curve gracefully upwards.

“This place looks amazing!”

“I know right? Even the building screams high fashion.” Hani laughed as she pulled into the parking lot.

“So, how shall I go home?”

“I’ll pick you up! We can go home together alright?”

“But my interview shouldn’t be long. Photoshoots take hours don’t they?” Yura asked curiously.

“Yeah but a lot of people want this job Yura. There’s going to be a lot of people."

“Oh come on! There can’t be that many people in one day right?” Yura scoffed.

“I don’t really know. Just be prepared alright?” Yura took a huge, deep breath and sighed.

“Wish me luck!” Hani leaned over for a brief hug before Yura got out of the car and walked through the large glass doors.

Oh my gosh, everyone is so nicely dressed! Does anyone dress like a slob? Ever?

Yura felt a little over-whelmed in her simple white blouse and black pencil skirt. Everyone was dressed in high-quality fabrics, wearing elegant designs and strutting around as if they were models themselves.

She walked over to the receptionist’s desk, where a gorgeous woman was sat typing rapidly on the computer.

“Hello, I’m here for the personal secretary interview.” The woman looked up to see Yura and, to Yura’s fury, looked her up and down.

“Name?”

“Kim Yura.”

“Okay, the CEO knows you’re here now. The top floor,” Before Yura could thank her “That means you take the elevator and press the highest number, okay?”

Yura resisted the urge to slap the makeup from the girls’ face.

“Thank you very much.” She said with a stiff smile. She walked away a little more nervous than she was before. The girl had obviously judged her based on the clothing she had. It wasn’t very high-end, but it fit the purpose. That girl had no right to talk to her as if she was an imbecile!

As she entered the elevator, she was surprised at how spacious it was. She could basically do her morning stretches in the spacious elevator! She quickly checked her hair and makeup in the reflective walls until she remembered that there were cameras there.

They won’t be watching be watching me, right?

No… I’m sure they’ll have better things to do than watch me… right?

Yura stood really stiff, glancing up at the cameras every couple of seconds. She tried to slow her heart beat and calm herself down before the interview.

She was in for a shock when the door opened.

There were at least a dozen girls there. Nearly everyone looked or dressed like a model. There were some girls that she was sure she had seen walking the catwalk in fashion walk. Trying not to look nervous, she walked over to a spare seat and took a seat. Her eyes scanned the room, looking at each of the girls there.

Woah, they’re really pretty!

To her surprise some of the girls chuckled. Yura raised a hand to quickly.

“Did I say that out loud?” She asked.

The girl opposite her nodded.

“Oh, that’s so embarrassing.” Yura laughed lightly.

“It’s alright. What’s your name?”

“I’m Yura. You?”

“I’m Nana. I’m a former super model.”

“That’s obvious! You’ve got such long legs!” Yura said enviously. Nana tossed her long blonde hair back and smiled.

“Thank you. Who are you wearing?” She asked.

“Sorry?”

“Like, my dress is Gucci, the blazer is Louis Vitton and the shoes are Jimmy Choos. Who are you wearing?” She asked. Yura flushed in embarrassment and said:

“Umm, the dollar store.” She mumbled. Nana just gaped at her for a second, then smirked.

“So you want to work at a high-fashion company with dollar-store­ clothes? Good luck.” Nana scoffed.

“Well you didn’t know they were dollar store till I told you.” Yura said defensively.

“I’m just saying- “

“You don’t need to say anything. It’s perfectly clear what you’re trying to say.”

“So why are you still here?” Nana asked icily. Yura shrugged.

“I like my chances.” The atmosphere immediately became icy in the waiting room. Nobody talked to each other after that so they were all waiting patiently to be called into the interview. A man stepped out of his office and called:

“Hong Yoojung?” The voice seemed familiar so Yura looked up to see who it was but before she could see his face he had already closed the door and began his interview of the girl.

A few minutes later, the girl came out of the interview room. To everyone’s surprise, she was in tears!

“Are you alright?” One of the other girls waiting asked her. Yoojung just shook her head with her hand clasped over to muffle the sobs coming out of . Everyone gaped at her as she ran to the stairs, not even bothering to take the elevator, and disappeared from sight.

“What happened in there?”

“I don’t know but she looked petrified!”

“I don’t think I can handle someone who’s like that on the first meeting!”

“Right?”

A few of the girls actually got up and walked out at that point, leaving the rest of them sat there, worries sick about the next time one of them was called in.

One by one, the girls were called through to the office. They went shaking and taking deep breaths in order to calm themselves. When they came out though, it was easy to tell whose interview had gone well and which ones were complete failures. Some came out crying and sniffling and others, while shaken a little, had little smiles on their faces.

The interviews took at least 20 minutes each, if not longer and even with those who had walked out, there were still a lot of them left. Yura could physically see the sun moving across the sky as time went on. Her back was aching from sitting up but she didn’t want to slouch in the seat in case she gave off a bad impression.

It was evening when it came down to the last 5 people. Yura’s seat was always facing away from the office door and she felt a nagging feeling every time she heard his voice. It was just so familiar but she couldn’t place it. The door opened once again behind her.

“Na… Nana? You applied for the job?” Nana smirked at the others are she picked up her bag and walked past Yura.

“How are you? It’s been so long!” Nana gave him a big hug, her long hair masking his face.

“Come on let’s start the interview. I don’t want to be here till late.” He chuckled. Yura reached up to see his face but he had already turned around. Nana shut the door behind him, but not before she smirked and blew a kiss to the others.

“What was that about?” Yura mumbled.

“They probably knew each other. Once you’re in the industry long enough, you tend to know all the pros and spend a lot of time with them.” Someone replied. Yura just shook her head and turned around, slumping dejectedly.

“So she’s probably more likely to get the job, since she has a rapport with him.” She sighed.

“Yeah, maybe. But there’s no harm in trying anyway right?”

“I suppose so. Nothing to lose.” Yura chuckled half-heartedly. She ruffled her hair and smoothed it down slowly before letting out a huge puff of air.

Yura just decided to close her eyes and do deep breathing and calming exercises until she heard her name. She just blocked all loud noises from her mind and concentrated on her heart and breathing rate. She could hear the door opening and shutting and the calling of names, but it was just background noise to her. When she opened her eyes again, almost 2 hours had gone. She was the last person in the room.

She heard the door open behind her and the last girl’s heels clicked down the floor.

“Now the last person, thank you for waiting. Kim Yura?”

“Yes, that’s me!” Yura hiked a smile on her face as she got up from her seat and turned around. She was tired and fed up and all she really wanted to do was go home, kick off her heels and watch a movie with Hani.

And when she turned around, she couldn’t hide the shock that crossed her face. Her stunned expression mirrored his perfectly as she stuttered:

“J-Jonghyun?” Jonghyun’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“You?”

They stood there in silence for what felt like forever. All of a sudden, Jonghyun marched towards her and, wrapping an arm around her waist whilst the other went to the nape of her neck, he kissed her passionately in the middle of his office floor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I know this is a bit of a filler chapter, but I didn't really know how to transition the story. The next chapter is coming soon!