Chapter 5

Cold Hearts

Yura~ Wake up!” Hani shook Yura’s shoulder gently.

“I don’t want to.” Yura grumbled.

“Cheer up girl! You’re starting your new job today! One step closer to your dream?” Hani replied.

Grumbling and groaning, Yura got out of bed and started pulling random items from the wardrobe.

“Yura…”

“Hmmm?” Yura mumbled irritably.

“You’re picking out your tracksuit.” Hani sighed. Yura rubbed her eyes and chuckled.

“I don’t normally have to wake up this early. So shhh and let me adjust!” Yura moaned. Hani suppressed a laugh before she went to the kitchen to make breakfast. Now normally this would be a nice gesture but there was a slight problem.

Hani couldn’t cook to save her life.

She managed to explode an egg in the pan when she only meant to boil it, set butter on fire making toast and managed to burn soup. The simple truth was, that nobody should let Hani anywhere near their kitchen.

So eventually, as Yura was getting dressed she started to smell something burning. Running out of the bedroom she shared with Hani, with her tie half-tied around her neck, she ran towards the stove and flipped over the pancake, revealing the charred black bottom. Hani came running over soon after.

“I’m so sorry! I meant to make a nice breakfast for you before you headed out!” Yura just laughed.

“It’s alright, it’s the thought that counts,” Yura smiled as she made fresh pancakes, “Want some?”

“Not today,” Hani shook her head, “I have a photoshoot today so I’m just making a shake.” She replied, gathering fruits into a blender. They both sat down and ate their breakfast before continuing to get ready.

“You ready?” Hani asked.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” Yura replied as they walked out of the front door.

Hani drove her to the office and entered the staff parking garage. As they got out Hani patted Yura’s shoulders.

“The security here is really good so you don’t have to worry. The cameras are there… there and here.” She gestured to all the security cameras.

“Wow… I’m not complaining but why so much?” Yura asked.

“Take a look around you!” Hani waved her hand at the lines of expensive cars surrounding them, “When you make it here, you make it big!” Yura raised her eyebrows slightly.

“Don’t they have more important things to spend it on?” She chuckled.

“Everyone has different priorities Yura. What time do you finish?”

“I honestly don’t know. But I’ll give you a call and wait inside the building until you come and get me okay?” Yura smiled.

“Good,” Hani took a deep sigh, “I wish we didn’t have to do this you know.”

“Do what?” Yura asked as they walked together.

“All this safety stuff, it’s a hassle.”

“Yeah but it’s better than even thinking about the consequences.” Yura patted her arm.

“I guess…” Hani muttered.

“Now come on! Don’t go putting a damper on my first day!” Yura punched Hani’s shoulder.

“Sorry! Are you ready?” Hani paused by the door to the headquarters.

“Ready!” Yura pumped her fist in the air. Hani opened the doors and they both stepped inside head-quarters.

Yura walked up to the desk but was surprised to find a different receptionist there; another girl who was equally stunning, but different all the same.

“Hi, I’m Kim Yura, I’m Mr Hong’s new secretary here?” The girl looked up and, to Yura’s relief, smiled brightly.

“Oh yeah! We need to do a few things first before you can head up. We need to take a picture for an ID badge and fill out this form,” She said, handing Yura a basic information sheet, “Then you should be good to go! Let me call down the photographer.” The receptionist dialled her phone and spoke very quickly, almost blurring the words together before slamming the phone down.

“So, I heard that CEO Hong’s father himself recommended you for the job. How did you manage that?” The receptionist asked, leaning forward.

“Wow, this only happened last night, how do you know?” Yura blinked in surprise.

“Honey, word around here spreads quickly.” She waved her hand dismissively.

“I just got lucky, he was coming in to meet with his son while CEO Hong was interviewing me.” Yura shrugged.

“And?” The receptionist’s eyes glinted.

“And… nothing. I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time I guess.” Yura tried to avoid telling her about what happened.

“But I heard that- “

“You hear so many things Hana; it’s surprising your head doesn’t explode.” A very well-dressed man walked over to the front desk.

“Shut up Kibum.” She hissed.

“Make me Hana and for the last time it’s Key.” He held up his hand in front of her face before she had time to speak.

“God, he’s annoying.” Hana went back to typing on her computer.

“You,” He pointed at Yura, “Come with me. We have a lot of work to do.” He sashayed off leaving Yura to trail in his wake, casually wondering where Hani had gone off to.

He led her down a series of stairs before throwing open a lavish door and clapping his hands to grab the attention of everyone inside.

“Leave! I need some alone time! Hurry, hurry, hurry!” He kept clapping his hands ushering people out. When the door slammed shut, Yura became a little afraid of what was going to happen.

“Don’t look so scared, I’m just going to take your photo.” Key smiled warmly at her.

“Huh?”

“Photo?” Key made a clicking sound and held his hands up to represent a camera.

“No, no I get that. What’s with the accent? And the attitude change?” He waved a hand dismissively.

“A reputation I have to keep up. When I first came in I though all photographers acted like that and by the time I realised different, it would have been weird to change. So, I just act this way when there’s a large group or when I need to uphold my reputation.” Key explained.

“Reputation?” Yura repeated? “What reputation?” At her question Key just stared at her for a second in disbelief.

“Oh honey. You’re going to need to learn about all these things if you want to survive here.”

“How much do I have to learn?”

“A lot, I’ll give you a list of which books you need. First, we need to take your photo.” Key attached a lens to a camera and set up ring lights.

“Alright, stand there and pose.” Key gestured to the plain white set.

“Pose? I thought this would be like a passport photo.”

“No, we’re the biggest fashion label in Korea. Everything here is different. Now, going off initial conversations you have a bright, inquisitive aura so just put a hand on your hip and smile.” Key instructed. Yura followed his instructions, though she felt awkward as hell. Key snapped a few shot and sighed.

“Alright that’s not working. Just talk to me; why’d you apply for this job?” He asked.

“I didn’t really, I didn’t even know about it. My best friend Hani did, she told me about it and filled out the form.”

“Hani? Do I- “

“She models here.”

“Oh right! Yeah, I’ve worked with her before, nice girl. Quite good for a beginner model.” Yura smiled at the praise of her friend.

“She’ll be happy to hear that.”

“So, why did you apply here anyway?”

“I want to be a designer, but I lack… experience. So, I thought any experience is good in the fashion industry.” Yura sighed.

“I get that, so who are you working for? I know there are a lot of high-ranking positions available. Which one did you fill?” Key asked.

“I’m the new secretary to CEO Hong.” Yura replied. Key just started chuckling.

“That… makes more sense now.”

“What do you mean?” Yura asked curiously.

“A few of the models came in this morning huffing and stomping that they hadn’t got the position.”

Models?

“Yeah, being the CEO’s secretary can open a lot of doors, especially if you’re a good one. The last good secretary has the CEO’s personal number and assistance for when he’s unsure about how to run his own business.” There was a moment of silence before Yura asked.

“And if you’re a bad assistant?” Key didn’t even look at her when he replied.

“Then you won’t last the first 2 months.” Key said shortly. Yura was silent in shock.

Surely working here couldn’t be that bad could it?

Yura shook her head and chuckled lightly.

Of course, not dummy! He’s just messing with you!

“Alright you’re all done! Here’s your ID card!” Key handed her an ID card. Yura examined the photo, she had no idea when he’d taken it, and was pleased to find that she didn’t look too bad, just a little tired.

“Thanks! Hopefully I’ll see you again!” Yura thanked Key as he walked her out of the studio and towards the elevator.

“Sure. You know where the office is right?” He raised an eyebrow doubtfully.

“Sure!” Yura nodded as the elevator doors opened and she stepped inside. Before the doors closed she put her hands between them, forcing them open again.

“You were just messing around with me earlier about working for the CEO, right? Just hazing the new girl? It’s not that bad, right?” She asked hopefully. Key laughed and shook his head at her.

“No, it’s not.” He replied. Yura sighed in relief as she let go of the doors. As she waved good-bye to Key, a bright smile on her face he opened his mouth to say something before the doors closed. She assumed it was a good luck message.

“It’s much, much worse.”

Yura’s eyes widened in shock and the smile dropped off her face. She tried to ask what he meant, give her more details, but the doors shut, and she was headed up to the top floor.

Now she was nervous. What was he going to be like? Was he going to be an like he was on the interview day?

She nervously rode the elevator up, watching the buttons flash one by one until they reached the top. She took a deep breath before the doors opened and she stepped into the office floor.

As she walked towards Jonghyun’s office, she could see other people there, hearing their little whispers, she could practically feel the eyes on her back. She shook her head, determined not to let these people get the best of her as she walked down to where her desk would be.

Right outside Jonghyun’s office.

Her stomach plummeted as she got there.

Jonghyun was stood there, leaning against her desk, tapping his foot impatiently. Once he saw her she saw his eyes narrow and she gulped. Suddenly she was very, very nervous.

 

“You’re late.”