Chapter 7 - Him

Oh NaNa (A Bmin fanfiction)

Hair sticking up every way possible, Somin dashes down the stairs, her fluffy socks slippery on the dark wooden stairs. It wouldn't be the first time if she now slipped on a stair, long story short she and Jiwoo thought it would be a great idea to sneak out in the middle of the night to go to a karaoke and the Jeons woke up to a sound of tumbling.

She hastily steps down from the last stair before sliding to the doorway of the kitchen.

 

"How did I get home? Why can't I remember anything?" Somin bombards her mother with questions, who is in the middle of drinking her morning coffee. No coffee, no work. 

The petite girl had woken up today, with no remembrance of what had happened yesterday afternoon. The pounding headache that hit her the minute she woke up was of no help. Her mother eyes her unapprovingly, the look does nothing else but increases the panicked state Somin is in.

 

"Matthew brought you home, you had fallen asleep. Are you okay? Your school shouldn't have ended so early?" Young-hee sets down the warmed ceramic cup, the unapproving look now one of pure concern. 

 

"I don't remember what happened yesterday. I-," Somin's gaze drops to a large light brown muffin, sitting on top of the marbled counter, from the lingering smell she guesses it is a banana muffin. Her face pales instantly, she crouches against the counter, feeling completely different than how she felt when she woke up all fuzzy. No, everything is clear, mostly, she remembers leaning against the tall basketball player and― No. They had kissed and it wasn't a dream, or was it, she doesn't know anymore. Somin's ears buzz, anxiousness takes over her. The kiss was soft and warm, it felt so surreal she had passed out, literally passed out. Knees buckled, unconscious, embarrassing. Pink tinges her cheeks at the sudden turn of events.

 

"Do you have a headache? Are you sick? Are you okay?" Her mother comes next to her, worried to death. Somin nods softly, hiding her burning cheeks with the palms of her hands. 

 

"Don't scare me like that." Young-hee chastises, she slaps her daughters back a couple of times as a form of punishment. "Matthew bought that muffin for you, so remember to thank him at school and apologise for the burden you had caused him." 

 

Somin picks up the muffin with delicate fingers that had only yesterday hit a jerk's stupid chin, leaving no visible marks on her fist. She brings the flavorful pastry up to her nose and breathes in the deliciously tempting smell, even a day old it has not lost it fresh baked smell. 

 

It is true, she had caused him unnecessary trouble, carrying her home from all the way who knows where. Matthew is turning out to be much more important to her than she first thought.

 

๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑

 

Somin couldn't be more happy and confused at the same time as she is now. Walking to school and being able to hold a very delicious muffin in one hand turned out to be harder than you would make it out to be. Every now and then she would remember what had happened yesterday and then crouch, the tingling feeling taking over her, too much to handle. The muffin was in grave danger, so for the rest couple of blocks she held onto it with both hands. She couldn't just let it drop to the ground, well she would've picked it up and ate it anyways, and she couldn't just stuff it into , no, that is not how you treat something delicious, you have to treat it delicately. Eat slowly, savour each bite, don't rush, love it, make your tummy feel happy longer. Somin isn't known for eating nicely in her family, but if it is something like banana muffins, give her the miss universe for eating so elegantly.

 

The tingling keeps lingering non stop and so does the pink hue on her cheeks. Jiwoo notices the warmness in her skin right away and asks if she is sick, this leads to even further more embarrassment, incoherent rambling and the colour on her cheeks to deepen. Because of the clear distress her best friend is in, Jiwoo decides to drop the subject, proceeding to slander the school's bastard. Which Somin does not mind at all, usually she would ask Jiwoo to change the subject but now she feels relieved and relaxed unless you count the teenage girl hormones. She hasn't yet seen the boys which is good, she isn't sure if she can face BM in an unstable state. 

 

"I swear to god, if I see that ugly face anywhere near you, I will mess him up so bad his own mother won't recognise him." Jiwoo curses menacingly, manhandling her math textbook in to her locker. A group of students next to them take a step back at the dangerous but promising threat. To be honest Jiwoo doesn't care what other people think of her now, not in the least. If she says she will do something, you can take her word for it. 

 

It seems like no one is exactly keen of Bobby today, except the ultimate fangirls who can look through their fingers and not think anything bad about him. Some of the girls from Somin's class have come up to her and showed their sympathy and dislike toward the former basketball captain, that's right, former. BM is the current captain of the basketball team. Every beginning of a semester, the team and mainly the coach decides who will be the captain for the rest of the semester. Bobby who has been the captain for the past two years didn't take it well and is still saltier than the sea, Somin snorts at her own pun. 

 

"Oh yeah, Tae said they are going to be late. BM overslept or something." Jiwoo speaks up, startling Somin out of her thoughts. She sighs in relief, her best friend doesn't miss the action and turns to look at her perplexed.

 

"So what happened yesterday after you left? I texted BM and he said he was with you." The pink haired female inquires. Red starts to bloom on the apples of Somin's cheeks, she can feel her body temperature rise, suddenly it's hard to stay cool and calm.

 

"Nothing happened, he just took me home and I went to sleep." She replies as nonchalantly as she can. Jiwoo doesn't buy it though, she knows her best friend inside out, she can tell when Somin isn't truthful. They had become friends when they were only first years, the teacher had paired up the students in alphabetical order to do a project, luckily the two were paired up together. After that the two Jeons kept spending time together even after the project was done for, the two girls found differences and similarities in each other, and that was not all of it, they also found new memories in each other. Two years worth of memories and still going strong.

 

If Somin doesn't want to tell what really happened, Jiwoo won't pressure her to do so. Some time Somin will tell her, but that time is not now. 

 

๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑๑

 

By the time it is lunch hour, everything is a unsorted mess in Somin's head. Matthew is a kind of a person you want to be friends with, he's kind, funny, not a douchebag like many others their age, he's playful but many times also mature. He takes care of others and makes sure you are okay, he's also from America which makes him even more interesting. Somin has gone abroad with her family during holidays but spending two weeks in a country isn't the same as living there in that culture. And the gleam of joy you can see in Matthew when he talks about his home town, his old friends, the things he used to do there, makes the conversation much more lively. BM is also the best partner you could have in shoulderball, every now and then she and Jiwoo play with the guys a game that the four of them came up with together. Since their group is so small, it's two against two, the teams are always the same, her and BM against Jiwoo and Taehyung. It's a basic game of basketball with their own twist, shoulders, Somin and Jiwoo sit on the boys's shoulders while the pairs fight for the ball and shoot hoops. It's a dangerous game but where's the fun in safe? And no,  do not answer that reckless question. 

 

So far Somin has successfully avoided seeing the two boys, how? She isn't sure and she doesn't care. Somin isn't scared to see Matthew, like he had said to her yesterday, he had only made her forget the bastards's forcing lips on her, she doesn't remember how it felt physically, all she can remember is that it was unpleasant emotionally, but even that she can hardly remember, her male best friend having taken over her thoughts completely. She and Matthew are just friends and that's it, even though sometimes she can't help but feel like there is something more and that is the reason why she doesn't want to see him. She shouldn't feel like it sometimes, she shouldn't feel like it at all. BM has been nothing but a good friend to her and now here she is doubting her feelings toward him not being only friendly. Maybe I should act like nothing happened.

 

"Coffee! Ah, we haven't been able to see each other." A loud voice hollers coming closer, Taehyung comes next to Jiwoo, he snakes his arm around her shoulder, bringing her closer to his side. Jiwoo complies to the gesture and loops her arms around her boyfriend's waist, face a little pink, only recently the couple started showing pda at school too. Jiwoo and Taehyung had had a long conversation about it, Jiwoo isn't keen on showing her soft side in school but because Taehyung told her how he felt about it, did she then agree to not to act so cold toward him at school. Taehyung loved the way Jiwoo really is, the way she is when they are on their after school dates, on their rendervous, when there weren't others around them. She too wanted to act like others didn't exist long ago, but she didn't want to seem soft and vulnerable in front of others and she still doesn't. But she doesn't mind it anymore, the way the have grown a bit closer during the past couple of weeks, makes it all worth it.

 

"I know and tone it down a bit." Jiwoo schools quietly. A tall figure comes next to them seconds later. Matthew rubs his eyes tiredly, dark circles prominent, back slouched. Grey sweatpants and a random t-shirt adorning his lean figure.

 

"Woah, someone had a sleepless night. What, did you have a nightmare?" Jiwoo snorts amused at their tall, usually perky friend. Matthew scowls at the pink haired girl from his hands, very unamused.

 

"Ha ha very funny." Jiwoo ignores him and turns toward her boyfriend, asking about what and where will they eat lunch. 

 

"Are you okay?" Somin steps in front of him concerned, all thoughts from before out of her mind. BM gulps mentally and looks at her before clearing his throat.

 

"Yeah, just a little tired. Did you... Um, did you get the muffin." This feeling.

 

"Yes, thank you. It was very good and I'm sorry you had to carry me home." It's new.

 

"It's no problem, no need to apologise. 

Also you're very light so I wasn't bothered at all." It doesn't go away.

 

"Yah! Let's go to the coffee shop." Jiwoo shouts from the other end of the hallway, Taehyung still close next to her.

 

"Let's go." Matthew smiles, fatigue slowly leaving him.

 

"Yeah."

 

I like him.

 

 

๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔๔

 

So my school starts tomorrow, last night I slept four and a half hours, my friends got drunk, and I had to walk one of them home, in the middle of the night. No, I did not drink. 

 

Sorry for the short and late update again. How about I won't apologise for it anymore. I'll try to write an update tomorrow since I should have time after school. It will be from BM's point of view. Also I have been soooo stressed during this past week. I hope you guys are doing better than me!

 

~ Eskay ~