wonder

unacquainted love

It seems like Yewon's phone error was due to a corrupted install file, so the error message was really just asking for the application to be reinstalled. And Sinb did just that and also did Yewon a favor by installing the same application but using the correct install file. 

Once Sinb was finished, she tested the application and made sure it could boot up properly before handing it back to Yerin. "All set" the tech expert said with a small smile. 

"Thanks... Sinb, right?" Yerin asked. Sinb nodded and pursed her lips. The girl has never been good with small talk, she's always been the one to distance herself from others. 

"Aren't you going to ask me what my name is?" Yerin said with a small amused laugh, a sound that Sinb loved hearing. "Why would I ask when I already know, Yerin-ssi"  

Yerin titled her head in question, how did Sinb know her name? They've never spoken before and only have crushes on each other.  

“How did you...?”  

“I don’t talk to a lot of people but I know a lot of people” Sinb reasoned. “Plus, you’re quite the talk of this university, why are you surprised?” 

“I just—am I really? I feel like everyone hates my guts here”  

“Trust me, Yerin-ssi, with a smile like yours who wouldn’t talk about you?”  

Sinb felt her heart pump harder, what it feels like adrenaline rushed through her veins as she realizes how she’s having an actual conversation with Jung Yerin.  

Jung Yerin, the girl whose smile could bright up the whole world. Jung Yerin, who also smiled with her eyes. Jung Yerin, the girl who Hwang Eunbi fell in love with. 

“With a smile like mine? What do you mean?” Yerin questioned again. Her smile? It’s a pretty tangent thing to bring up. 

“Uhm—well—it’s just... you have a really great smile” Sinb stuttered, which Yerin found amusing because you would think someone like Sinb, who looked like she never really cared about anything else in the world but her gadgets—would never notice Yerin, or even look her way. But truth behold. 

“Ah... thank... you...” was the only thing Yerin was able to reply with. 

All of a sudden, everything around them tuned down, every sound and every light—nothing seemed to matter right now.  

Their eyes connected, staring into each other. Yerin felt a shot of electric go down her spine, she felt the hair on her body stand up. Her heart seemed to want to pump harder at this very moment, she hoped Sinb didn’t hear it because it’s so quiet. 

“You have really pretty eyes too” Sinb whispered, barely audible in the room they’re in. But Yerin caught every word. “You do too, Sinb-ssi" Yerin replied. 

Yerin couldn’t help but get lost in Sinb’s eyes. Staring into them up close like this—it was only something Yerin dreamed of. For some reason Sinb’s eyes had a really nice shine glazed over them, it shined really differently, nothing like she’s ever seen. It’s like Sinb caught a star and broke it into pieces, sprinkling the dust all over her pupils. Sinb’s eyes sparkled, and Yerin never wants to stop staring into them. 

To Sinb, Yerin’s eyes felt warm. Yerin’s eyes felt like home, bringing comfort into her system like no other. It’s as if she’s in her bed all the way in Cheongju, waiting for her parents to tuck her in for bed and kiss her forehead goodnight on a drizzly night. Yerin’s eyes calmed her down, letting her know it’s okay to be whoever she was. 

“This friend of yours... her name is Yewon, right?” Sinb asked, still not breaking eye contact with the pretty girl in front of her. Yerin only nodded. But it clicked to her, Sinb called her Yewon? Only close friends get to call Umji Yewon. 

“You know her? Are you close with her?” Yerin asked, surprised clear in her tone. Sinb blinked a couple of times before answering. 

“I wouldn’t say I’m her best friend or anything, but I know her from one of my lectures. Sometimes she comes to me and asks how I am after lectures. We’ve hung out a couple of times but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen her. I immediately recognized her phone because she’s the only person I know who owns a pink Samsung Galaxy S7” 

“If you two are close, then why didn’t she just come to you for help? I don’t really know why she asked me to help her. Not that I’m complaining now that I got to meet you...” Yerin merely whispered the last part. But again, Sinb heard every word. 

“As far as I know, Yewon is pretty good with tech stuff. She probably knows how to fix that error on her own” 

Puzzled, both of them only sat there in wonder to as why Yewon would do such a thing.