Day 6

Cake by the Ocean
If there’s one thing that Seulgi isn’t confident about with her body, it was her hands.
 
She initially didn’t pay any attention to it. Her hands are more for functional purposes rather than aesthetic. She draws, she eats, she holds things… That’s it. Hands are hands; fingers are fingers until someone in high school just went, “Omo, your fingers are so long.” Seulgi wasn’t sure if the girl meant it as a compliment or an insult, but Seulgi took it as the latter.
 
From then on, she was quite conscious about her hands. Freshmen year in uni, she envied her roommate/ BFF Wendy’s small and dainty hands. It was Sooyoung who reassured her that she should be proud of it. Yeri added that her hands are an asset that all her fangirls are begging for. Seulgi asked what she means about that, but Wendy cut Yeri off before she went into details.
 
But tonight, she finds a new whole appreciation for it, not her hands though but Eunae’s. Seulgi thought that by the end of the night, she would be able to memorize every detail of Eunae’s hand. And if her high school classmate thinks that her fingers were long, just wait until she sees Eunae’s.
 
Eunae doesn’t have those soft and dainty Haneul girls’ hands. Her fingers are probably a half inch longer than Seulgi’s. Her hands have blisters, some healed, some that are starting to form, and her pinky has an interesting shape. Seulgi still finds herself loving every inch of it. She let her finger run through the side of Eunae’s wrist before she maps out the lines crisscrossing on her palm. She drinks in every detail of a newly healed scar, a forming blister and the cute curve of her pinky.
 
Eunae might have taken Seulgi’s fascination as an anomaly as she quickly tries to jerk her hand away, but Seulgi instead pulls her close. She turns to look at the taller girl and flashes a smile that puts the moonlight and twinkling stars to shame.
 
“I ummm jammed it.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“When you spike, you’re supposed to hit the ball with the middle of your palm,” Eunae said while making circles on the soft palms of Seulgi’s hand. “But I time my jump wrong and instead I hit the ball with my fingers. My pinky got the worse of it. I’m lucky it didn’t get broken. But that’s why it’s kinda crooked like that,” Eunae confessed, her voice dipping lower than usual.
 
“It must have hurt when you jammed it.” Seulgi pouts worriedly, caressing the jutting knob in Eunae’s finger.
 
“It did, but it’s okay now.”
 
But Seulgi wasn’t buying it. So, wanting to make sure that her girl is pain-free she pulls Eunae’s pinky to her lips, giving it a loud, big kiss.
 
“Better?”
 
It took Eunae a few seconds to recover, and when the blush turned from bright red to pink, she managed to say.
 
“So much better.” Eunae’s lips curve into a sweet grin, and Seulgi had to stop herself from leaning over and kissing her again.
 
“I think your hands are perfect.”
 
Eunae almost blurts out that she thinks Seulgi is perfect, but she held it in and just answered Seulgi with a, “Thank you.”
 
They exchange those sweet smiles that were on their lips, walking back to the hotel while swinging their arms together.
 
Seulgi broke the silence first as she airs out a dreamy sigh, “Can you believe it’s almost Monday?”
 
“What?” Eunae blinks in confusion until reality starts to cloud over her. This week has just been so amazing for her that Eunae wasn’t even counting the days. But obviously, it wasn’t the same case with Seulgi.
 
“Oh… Oh yeah. It’s almost Monday.” Eunae’s voice slowed down into a whisper.
 
“This week went by so quickly.  Before I know it, I have to start summer class.”
 
Seulgi talks about it like it doesn’t even bother her that they’ll finally be apart.
 
“Oh… oh yeah.”
 
Her friends always of overthinking all the time, how she makes a big deal out of the stupidest things. To save herself from the stress she built her own defense mechanism of spacing out. It works effectively until right now, where she has Seulgi’s hand in hers but no matter how tightly she holds on, could still feel Seulgi slipping away.
 
Seulgi’s gonna go back. She’s going to go back to Haneul. She’s going to go back and be the Ace of Haneul again. She’s going back to her picturesque university. She’s going back to her beautiful friends who look like they’re plucked out of a movie scene.
 
And her? Well, she’s going to be just a dream for Seulgi now. If she’s lucky,  she will be a thought that crosses Seulgi’s mind every once in a while. While here she is, waiting patiently back home with only thoughts of Seulgi to keep her company.
 
It was only five days but how come she feels way too much for Seulgi?
 
“Oh… Oh yeah. Two more days.”
 
“Yeah, and I have to go back again. But this week is definitely one of the best ones that I have. Probably the best.”
 
Eunae answered her with a soft hum while her mind started whirring those negative thoughts once again. She was waiting for Seulgi to say those words, to say I like you. Maybe if she’s lucky, Seulgi will put a label on what they have and call themselves girlfriends. They kissed and kissed, but those words never slipped Seulgi’s lips.
 
Maybe she should be the one to ask. She could set herself up for either happiness or heartache when she hears Seulgi’s answer. But Eunae all 5’7 of her is a real softie, scared of rejection and most especially if it’s coming from Seulgi.
 
There were so many questions, but it hurts her heart at just the thought of asking.
 
Does she and Seulgi stop here? Is this all that they were? How can you even say it? Kissing buddies?
 
She looks over at Seulgi who still bears that dreamy look on her face and Eunae thought it would be cruel of her just to take that away from Seulgi. She did promise herself that she’s okay with whatever Seulgi decides. But those kisses changed everything. The second that their lips met, Eunae felt a bit of possessiveness with Seulgi, even though she knows she has no right too.
 
Eunae searched Seulgi’s face for signs of heartache and pain, wondering if the thought of them being apart would break Seulgi’s heart as hard as it would hers. But all Eunae could see in the city girl’s expression is that look of nostalgia, like she’s going to be nothing more but a part of Seulgi’s memories.
 
She could only guess that this is what they’re talking about when your heart just makes an idiot out of you.
 
“Okay, we’re here,” Eunae says as they make up the front steps of Seulgi’s hotel. She loves every second with Seulgi, but Eunae is ready to get away from there. Maybe the less time she spends with Seulgi, the less heartache she’ll feel come Sunday when Seulgi gets in that car and go.
 
“Wait? what?” Seulgi blinks in confusion until it looks like it dawned on her where they were.
 
“I’m gonna go ahead unnie.”
 
“Wait… Can we walk halfway?”
 
“No unnie,” Eunae tries to convince Seulgi. She was about to reach out and tuck the loose strand of hair, but she managed to pull herself back. She doesn’t feel she has any right yet. “You’re already here, and it’s already late.”
 
I know, but it’s really late. And you’re so pretty, and they’re going to hit on you.” Seulgi spilled out her worried, face bearing a cute frown.
 
Eunae smiles, deciding that it wouldn’t hurt to stay for a couple of seconds more.
 
“Can we walk halfway please?” Seulgi tries to negotiate.
 
“No unnie, I don’t want you walking back by yourself.”
 
“But I’m…” Seulgi is making up nonsense now “No?”
 
Seulgi tries to let out that cute pout to get her way and Eunae doesn’t know how she was able to win from that.
 
“No.”
 
“Please?” Seulgi asked once again, only to be met by a shake of the head. “Oh.”
 
“I’ll be alright.”
 
“But you’ll be by yourself.” There’s a look of complete disarray in Seulgi’s face. And it’s taking Eunae every ounce of restraint not to pinch those adorable cheeks. “Who’s going to protect you?”
 
Seulgi is the sweetest, most gentle person in the world. A real life teddy bear who probably don’t stand a chance against a puppy, but here she is, ready to protect Eunae if she has to.
 
“This place is safe unnie. I’ll be okay.”
 
“Oh okay.” Seulgi’s entire expression fell, and Eunae tried her damn hardest to not fall for that cute look.
 
“Good night, unnie.”
 
“Good ni- oh… Eunae…”
 
“Hmmm?” Eunae turns around as Seulgi skips over to where she is.
 
“What time are we meeting again tomorrow?” Seulgi came up with the question, even though she perfectly knew what the answer is.
 
“I’ll come over at 9:30.”
 
Seulgi looked disappointed on how Eunae just answered it too quickly.
 
“Oh okay… Good night.”
 
“Good night.” Eunae smiles at her before turning away again.
 
“Eunae?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Ummm ahhh…” Seulgi thinks and thinks of another question just to make Eunae stay, and the best she could come up with is this, “What was the name of the place where we ate?”
 
“Ummm… Kitching's.”
 
“Oh… Okay, I forgot. I wanted to give them a good score in Yelp.”
 
“That’s good. Ahjumma would like that.” The smile in Eunae’s lips grew more and more. “Good night again, unnie.”
 
“Good night. Oh, Eunae…”
 
“Hmmm.”
 
“Can we go get gelatos tomorrow? I really feel like eating gelatos.”
 
Eunae racked her brain for a good gelato place around town before finding one that will make Seulgi hum in satisfaction.
 
“Sure. Anything else you wanted to eat?”
 
Seulgi’s hair swished back and forth as she shook her head. “Not that I could think of right now.”
 
“Okay, just tell me, and we’ll find a place.”
 
“Yeah okay, wait ummm…” Seulgi struggled for words again. “You forgot my ummm…”
 
“Your what?”
 
Eunae tilted her head to the side, and she looks so adorable doing it that Seulgi lets out a nervous cough before saying.
 
“You know… our…” Seulgi shyly pointed to her lips. “kiss?”
 
“Oh… our kiss?”
 
The older girl looks like an excited kid, ready to receive her favorite toy.
 
“Just one more?” Eunae asked.
 
“Maybe two?”
 
Eunae steps closer and Seulgi looks like she’s about to faint at the sight of the Goddess standing right in front of her. Where are that bravado and smooth Seulgi that asked for two kisses?
 
“Okay two,” Eunae took a deep breath, a shaky one as she musters whatever courage she has left. She cups Seulgi’s cheek before drawing their lips closer together. She could feel the warm breath escaping Seulgi’s sighs, and she wonders if she could move one more step to close every inch between them. She manages to lean over and press a chaste kiss on Seulgi’s forehead.
 
“One.”
 
Seulgi loves Eunae’s kisses, her lips were pillowy soft and tasted like peaches. But she looks disappointed at the forehead kiss. Eunae’s lips curve into a sweet smile, before laying another kiss, this time at the tip of Seulgi’s nose. “Two.”
 
“Oh, that’s two already?” Seulgi groans, her disappointment sounds way too obvious.
 
“Two, right?”
 
“Oh yeah,”
 
Eunae tilts her head for a polite bow before saying her good night for what felt like the hundredth time.
 
“Good night, Seulgi unnie.”
 
Seulgi could only manage a regretful good night before waving to Eunae goodbye. Eunae finally turned away, finally taking more than ten steps away from Seulgi when she heard hurried footsteps padding towards her. She spun around just in time to catch Seulgi a few inches away from her. But before Eunae could breathe out a word, Seulgi steals the words right out of with a sweet, gentle kiss.
 
“Maybe three…”
 
Seulgi pulls away, a wide grin breaking her blushing cheeks before she bows 90 degrees and runs away.
 
Eunae looked frozen in her steps before she could manage to squeeze her heart inside her chest. The feel of Seulgi’s lips on hers still lingers, enough to grace a gentle smile on her lips. She then felt her phone vibrating in her back pocket, her grin spreading as she sees the name flashing on the screen.
 
“Seulgi unnie?”
 
She looks back, seeing Seulgi waving back at her from her hotel lobby.
 
And Eunae’s smile only grew wider, her heart knowing one thing for certain, that it’s more than enough for her to become Seulgi’s good night kiss, even just it’s for tonight.
 
*
 
Time flies so quickly when you’re completely doing nothing. Park Sooyoung agrees to that, as she wonders what happens to the rest of her night.
 
It was one of those nights where she was mindlessly scrolling the IG of some dude she used to like with Yeri. She pointed out how he looked like a douche now with his new haircut, or maybe her hunch that he’s gay all along was true, judging by how tight his pants were when next thing she knows it’s almost one am.
 
What do you know? Kang Seulgi isn’t back yet.
 
“You think they’re getting it on?” Yeri, whose mind has always been in the gutter asked.
 
Sooyoung had never heard a question that ridiculous. Yeri should have known better, yes, their bestfriend and unnie is scorching hot when she’s on stage, but she’s a different human being off it. She was too sweet and too fluffy and most probably the type who waits until marriage. Their dumb bear unnie wouldn’t know what to do. At first, she thought Eunae would be more well-versed on those kinds of things. But judging how she could barely string a sentence out around Seulgi is proof that looks like she would probably be as lost too.
 
“Of course not.”
 
“And why not?” Yeri asked. “They’re on a date, they’re beautiful people, and like they say, it’s the quiet ones you have to look out for.”
 
“Cause… it’s Seulgi unnie. She could barely say a word around Eunae.”
 
“So?” Yeri defended her case. “You don’t need words to start those. You see how she dances on stage? Underneath that teddy bear dummy is a Goddess that just needs to be triggered.”
 
Sooyoung just raised a judging brow. “Really?”
 
“Yup. And you saw how she dance to Greedy last semester. I don’t even want to admit it, but Ariana sunbaenim would be shook when she sees her.”
 
Sooyoung had to pause for a moment to let that information simmer. She had to agree with Yeri on that one, her Seulgi unnie dancing was the talk of Haneul and some other universities for weeks on end. But what these thirsty fans didn’t see was the cute unnie who squealed excitedly when she steps down from the stage. So, no… it’s just the lack of sleep that is making her think that her Seulgi would get it on.
 
“Sure, whatever you say. Go to sleep Yeri.”
 
“What I’m saying is, Seulgi unnie knows what she’s got.”
 
But before Yeri could defend her case, they heard the door beeped and walking in is the topic of their conversation, Seulgi with that gigantic smile on her face.
 
“Hey, there lover girl!” Yeri greeted before leaning over to Sooyoung. “She looks like she got laid.”
 
“Hi, guys! You’re still up?”
 
“No. We’re sleep talking,” Sooyoung said, but when she sees Seulgi’s blank expression high chances are she might believe her. “JK unnie, so how’s the date?”
 
Seulgi purses her lips and starts nodding her head.
 
“I have a girlfriend now!” Seulgi couldn’t hide her excitement, announced with a squeal.
 
“Whoah? For real unnie?”
 
Their unnie wasn’t saying a word, but she was nodding so hard like a broken bobblehead, and her entire face looks like the heart emoji.
 
“Finally, after 21 years! Kang Seulgi has a girlfriend!”
 
“So, don’t just sit there!” Yeri smacks her unnie hard with a pillow to get her back to reality. “Tell us! Tell us!”
 
“Well, we-“
 
“Ow!” Sooyoung yelps as Yeri squeezes her arm in anticipation.
 
“-I ummm kiss her.”
 
“Kiss her where?” Yeri asks curiously.
 
“On her lips, of course… Where else would I kiss her?”
 
“On her pu-"
 
“Shut up!” Sooyoung stuff Yeri’s face with a pillow, hopefully, that could suffocate her brain from these y thoughts. “Just… hush! So, unnie? How did you say it to her?”
 
Seulgi who had that lopsided lovesick grin turned over to them. A look of confusion is etched on Seulgi’s face.
 
“Ummm said what?”
 
Sooyoung and Yeri who had scrambled out of the pillow turned to each other. The younger girls looked baffled from Seulgi’s question.
 
“How did you ask her to be your girlfriend?”
 
“Oh! Ummm…” Seulgi frowns thoughtfully, looking like she’s sifting through her memories of tonight before her usual cute eyes grew wide. She gulps and starts to nibble on her lower lip nervously. Sooyoung could already tell that this isn’t how they planned it to be.
 
“I ummmmm…” Seulgi mumbles, fidgeting around her fingers.
 
“You ummm what?”
 
“I didn’t ask her.”
 
“What?!”
 
“I mean we kiss, doesn’t that kind of say that we're girlfriends?”
 
Both Sooyoung and Yeri couldn’t hide their frustration as they smack their foreheads. They were younger than Seulgi but how come they had to school her on dating and love advice?
 
“Unnie, no, no, no… we girls, we want to hear it out loud.” Sooyoung shakes her head, wishing it was Seulgi she was shaking instead.
 
“What?”
 
Sooyoung and Yeri smack their faces in unison. This epic failure is worth about a 100 facepalms or smacks on Seulgi’s face.
 
“So, let me get this straight,” Sooyoung paced worriedly across the hotel rug. “You didn’t ask her to be your girlfriend?”
 
Seulgi wobbles her way toward the bed before she sinks lower on the mattress as her indecision weighs heavily on her.
 
“Ummm… I thought action speaks louder than words?”
 
Both Yeri and Sooyoung smacks their foreheads on what felt like the millionth time. Seulgi has that look of complete panic now. That same look when she forgot she has a paper due that day or she overslept through an exam, but ten times worse.
 
“Sh-sh-should I text her now?” Seulgi pulls out her phone. “Or maybe call her and ask?”
 
“What? No… That’s terrible, unnie. You have to say it in front of her.”
 
“You have to do it in the sweetest, cheesiest way.”
 
The high that Seulgi had a few minutes ago sobered up into a suffocating sense of reality. She felt like she was on a rollercoaster. Seconds ago, she was on her high now she was just zooming down, down further down.
 
“Omo.”
 
“That’s right… omo.”
 
“So, after you guys kiss, did you say something?”
 
“Well, we kind of talk about stuff. We’re gonna have breakfast tomorrow.”
 
Sooyoung and Yeri collapse on each side of Seulgi, ready to smack her from both her left and right cheek if they have too.
 
“Okay, then maybe it’s a good time to think about this first.” Sooyoung continues, and Seulgi turns over to her, those teddy bear eyes filled with worry.
 
“Think about what?”
 
“If this is what you really want.”
 
Seulgi bounces off the bed, giving Sooyoung a harsh look.
 
“Of course, this is what I really want! I won't kiss her if I don’t feel these things for her.”
 
“Slow down, Juliet… You can’t just think of the romance and all that. You have to be realistic too.”
 
“What? What do you mean?”
 
“Let me handle this,” Yeri jumps into the conversation. “I mean you are friends with Soojung unnie and Jongin Oppa. You know what happened to them.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“They were so sweet and all that, no one thought they’ll break up because they’re gorgeous and they like to swim in the pool together but look at them now, they broke up.”
 
“Okay…”
 
“The reason they broke up is because they’re both so busy. And to think unnie, they’re both in the same university.”
 
“Where are you going with this?” Seulgi asked.
 
“What I’m going with this is, if these two have a hard time trying to make time with each other when they’re both going to Haneul, imagine you and Eunae. She goes to school here, and you have to go back home.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“For once Yeri has a point,” Sooyoung agrees in disdain.
 
“I have lots of points.”
 
“Hush…” Sooyoung shoves the younger girl away. “I don’t doubt that you and Eunae like each other a lot, you both obviously do. But as soon as you both get back to school, it won’t be easy. It’s going to be really tough unnie, when you see couples together, and your girlfriend is 3 hours away in KTX.”
 
“I don’t care. I’ll come here every week if I have too.”
 
“You have to think of what Eunae feels too.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“I’m sure she likes you like a lot, but is she okay with a long distance relationship?”
 
Seulgi didn’t know it was possible to sink even lower.
 
“I… I didn’t ask her.”
 
All it took was a harsh storm of reality to wipe away their sweet night and loving kisses tonight. Seulgi might be labeled all too fluffy and soft, but if she has to make herself tough for her and Eunae so their relationship would work then so be it. She’s the unnie after all, and she’s not kidding about visiting Eunae every week if she has too.
 
There were beautiful girls, so many beautiful girls in Haneul and if Seulgi were a player, she would have already bone half the female population in Haneul. But Kang Seulgi wasn’t like that. Kang Seulgi despite her image was a fluffy romantic who believes in THE ONE, in soulmates and red strings of fate and of happily ever after.
 
And she found her. She found those fluttering feelings with Eunae. It’s Eunae who she needs and wants and adores, and no one else comes close.
 
“I… I… I want her to be my girlfriend.”
 
“Okay, but if Eunae says that she might not be ready for a long distance relationship, then… you have to get your heart ready for that, unnie.”
 
The thought of that already breaks Seulgi’s heart, but if that’s what Eunae wants, then she just has to accept it.
 
Or maybe she won’t.
 
“No, no I won’t.”
 
“Wait? What?”
 
“I know Eunae likes me too, and I don’t care what I have to do but I’ll make what we have work.”
 
Yeri gasps excitedly, Sooyoung thinks it’s just the lack of sleep.
 
“Omo Seulgi unnie is so romantic.”
 
“You know, I’m gonna ask her now.”
 
“Unnie, I don’t know if you notice but it’s almost 2 am. It’s kinda late for romantic proposals.”
 
“Oh…”
 
“Wait it out… I mean what’s the best way to wake up than having something ask you to be your girlfriend, right?”
 
Seulgi smiles at her friends before nodding. In her heart, she’s ready to make Jo Eunae her girlfriend.
 
*
 
Are long distance relationship doomed?
 
Why Long Distance Relationship Never, ever worked
 
Ten reasons why Long distance fail.
 
What I learned from my failed Long distance relationship.
 
Eunae’s finger hovered over another link, most likely punishing herself from all this negativity consuming her mind. Article upon article upon article from different writers just swearing on their lives how long distance relationship is bound for heartache.
 
But it’s not like she and Seulgi are going to be oceans away. It’s just a few hours from KTX that’s not so bad, right?
 
She let out a dreary sigh, as bad thoughts were the only thing that was lingering in her mind now.
 
Maybe Seulgi was smart enough to know that it wasn’t going to work. Seulgi was smart enough to figure out that there were too many beautiful girls in Haneul to be locked in one relationship, especially with someone far away.
 
She sighs once again, but this time getting the attention of someone else,
 
“Go to sleep, Eunae.”
 
“Hmmm?”
 
Eunae turned from her upper bunk towards Nahyun, and Euijin huddled together in Nahyun’s bed. She left for her date with Seulgi, and the two have already started binge watching Game of Thrones. It’s now close to 2 am and the two with bloodshot eyes looks like they’re ready to break a record on who could binge watch Game of Thrones the longest.
 
“I told you since were kids, all that reading doesn’t do you any good.”
 
“What’s wrong, unnie?” Euijin, who is the more sympathetic one asked.
 
“Honey Bear is about to leave, that’s why,” Nahyun answered, finally pressing the pause button on her laptop.
 
“Awwww unnie, it’s going to be okay. There are others.”
 
Eunae could tell that Euijin is being sympathetic but Euijin’s sympathies are the last thing she needs now. Eunae knows that there won’t be others, others won’t compare to the feelings she had for Kang Seulgi.
 
“Did you make your last few days memorable?”
 
“What?”
 
“Did you let her dig her paws inside you?”
 
“Wait? What?!” It was almost 3 am but Nahyun’s question just jolts every sleepy cell she had. “No…no… we… we… kiss.”
 
“Awwww…. Your first kiss.” Nahyun said before continuing. “Like was it just a mwah kiss, or was it like you two slurping each other?”
 
Nahyun’s questions even earned a slap and a squeal from Euijin.
 
“Yah Najjang!”
 
“What? I’m just curious!” Nahyun said before turning to Euijin. “And stop pretending like you’re so pure and , we all know you slurp a lot of things.”
 
“Yah!” Euijin this time threw a pillow at Nahyun. “So, going back to you, how was the kiss?”
 
Eunae fell on her back before muffling her squeals with her pillow. “It was so sweet. We were on the beach and Seulgi unnie kiss me first.”
 
“Awwwwwww…”
 
But the sweet moment fizzled away when Nahyun asked, “Was there tongue involved?”
 
“Ummm yeah?” Eunae shyly admits to it.
 
Nahyun and Euijin start trashing on the bed from all the ants that were taking over this diabetic moment. Even Eunae had to cover her face once again.
 
“Did you like it? Did you like kissing Seulgi-shii?” Euijin pried more, and the answer she quickly got was Eunae’s blushing cheeks and a soft nod.
 
“When we kiss I felt like I wasn’t there, you know? That we were in somewhere else where it’s just the two of us.”
 
The trashing and squealing continues.
 
“But when I was walking home, I realize that I don’t know what I’ll do if I found out she was kissing other girls in Haneul.”
 
“You’re gonna go psycho on her?”
 
“No. I…I… I want us to be together.”
 
“Aren’t you two together?” Euijin plops herself up with Nahyun’s pillow before turning to Eunae.
 
“Well, she didn’t ask, so I’m not sure. I don’t know what to do. After we kiss, Seulgi unnie never really brought up anything.”
 
Eunae paused for a bit, gathering enough air to exhale.
 
“The only thing she talked about is how it’s almost Monday. And how she’s about to leave.”
 
“Well, my only advice to you unnie is maybe don’t take this too seriously. Just enjoy the company for the last days and then you know, have fun.”
 
Eunae just answers with a scoff, that advice came a little bit too late.
 
“It’s too late for that.”
 
“Then, what are you going to do? Just let her go back without her knowing anything?”
 
“Maybe that’s for the best,” Eunae admits to herself, though her heart completely disagrees with it.
 
“Hey look, you.” Nahyun finally puts away her laptop and shoves Euijin away from her bed with a kick on the thigh. “I know you for way too long, dude. And this is the first time where you are just attracted to someone. It’s not even attraction anymore; you’re seriously-”
 
“Falling for her,” Euijin adds.
 
“You need to it up and just tell her that you like her, like a lot. If she decides that nope, I like my thirsty hoes in Haneul then good riddance, you don’t need someone like that. But I highly doubt she’s like that. But if she says yes, I would like to try, then see? You wouldn’t know that since you’re too much of a chicken.”
 
“I don’t think I know what to do if she says no.”
 
“Well, it’s going to hurt a lot, but we’re here. We will be single together. Or you could sleep around with teddy bear looking people for the rest of your life.”
 
Eunae smiles back, Nahyun isn’t one with sweet words, but Eunae could tell that her friend is trying.
 
“So, have some good night sleep or what’s left of it, and then tomorrow, the first thing you tell Seulgi shii is I like you.”
 
Eunae slumps back in her bed, ready to fall asleep. She was usually the type who falls asleep even before her head hits the pillow, but tonight that seems way too hard, not when her heart is just racing like this.
 
*
 
“Hey, you!”
 
Seulgi stirs up from that familiar sweet voice and looks up just in time to see Wendy fresh from her morning jog at the breakfast buffet. She waves back before going back to her notes while Wendy went over to grab herself a plate.
 
“So, how’s the date last night?” Wendy asks even before she got the chance to sit down.
 
“I ummm… we kiss.”
 
“Oh.” Wendy had her fork paused midway after she heard what her bestfriend said.
 
“Like you two kissed?”
 
Seulgi could only answer her bestfriend with a shy nod.
 
“I’m planning to ask her to be my girlfriend.”
 
“H-hold on… you two kiss but you two are not girlfriends?”
 
Seulgi’s facepalms the table after Wendy is the third person who reminded her of her epic fail.
 
“I know, I know… I forgot to ask. I just ummm… I just kissed her.”
 
“And how was it?” Wendy asked before politely nudging Seulgi’s head up. Putting your head on the table was impolite. “How was your kiss?”
 
Seulgi let out a dreamy sigh, before turning to Wendy.
 
“It feels like one of those true love’s kisses kind of thing.”
 
Wendy balled up her fist, trying to stomach the cheesiness that Seulgi is about to hurl. When Wendy felt like she’s ready, she relaxes her hand before she asked.
 
“True love’s kiss?”
 
“Didn’t you feel that with Joohyun unnie? Like you said, oh wow… So this is what the movies were all about?”
 
Wendy’s brain sifts through to every memory of her kisses with Joohyun. The two of them kiss each other out of habit these days. But like they said, nothing really beats your first kiss. Wendy could clearly remember where it was, what row and seat they were on during the movies. She could remember the popcorn bucket shaking in her hands and how heart was beating way too loudly, she’s afraid they’ll get kick out of the movie theatre. It was hard for her to remember what movie it was, when Joohyun, the girl she had fallen for for so long was sitting next to her, munching on popcorn.
 
Joohyun pats her on the shoulder, ready to feed her popcorn and Wendy leans closer, but when she got closer, Joohyun pulls the popcorn away and takes her first kiss away with a soft bump of their lips. The movie was already playing, but Wendy could see Joohyun’s cheeks burning a subtle tinge of pink and she’s pretty sure her cheeks probably match or was much worse then.
 
And even if it’s just a memory, the feelings returned again. Maybe Seulgi has a point, it does feel like those true love’s kisses.
 
“It did. So, you’re ready to be girlfriends?”
 
Seulgi blinks curiously at her bestfriend, wondering where she’s going with this.
 
“Yes. Sooyoung and Yeri already talk to me about everything. And yes, I want to do this. If it’s not Eunae, I don’t want anybody else.” Seulgi says, her voice might dip lower, but she had never sounded surer in her life.
 
Wendy took a deep sigh, “You know long distance relationships are hard.”
 
“I… I… I know that.”
 
“You don’t have to save me from the heartache, Wen. If it’s Eunae, then it’s worth it.”
 
Wendy takes another sigh but this time out of relief.
 
“Whatever makes you happy Seul, you know that we’re here for you.”
 
“Thank you. I ummm wrote her a poem, do you want to hear it?”
 
“Sure.”
 
Wendy didn’t know why she agreed to this so easily, but she did as if she didn’t know what her bestfriend is capable of.
 
Seulgi clears before reciting her poem. “Roses are red,”
 
“Oh God…” Wendy tries to stomach all this cheese before she throws up. Son Wendy is the queen of all things cheesy, but even she had her limits.
 
“Is it bad?” Seulgi asks worriedly.
 
“N-no-no… go on, go on.”
 
“Roses are red; violets are blue, Eunae you’re the most amazing girl in this world, will you be my girlfriend?”
 
Wendy ends up biting her hand rather than taking a bite of her food. This was too much to take at 8 am in the morning.
 
“That… that is just… wow.”
 
“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”
 
“Why are you writing her a poem?” It was Wendy politely asking why the was she doing this?
 
“Ummm because Eunae is a literature student. So, I thought it would be kinda romantic if I ask her to be my girlfriend this way.”
 
“Well, I’m pretty sure that if it’s coming from you, Eunae would still appreciate it.”
 
“So, I should give her this?”
 
“What? No-no-no-no…” Wendy waves her arms around “Not that it’s a bad thing, but maybe asks her in a different way.”
 
“Okay. Then, how am I going to say it?”
 
“Just tell her how you feel. Just like what you told me and what you told Sooyoung and Yeri.”
 
That would work perfectly fine if Seulgi were smooth and poetic, but she gets nervous, and she ends up blabbering stupid stuff when she’s in front of Eunae. The thought of failing in epic proportions scares the living daylights out of her.
 
“M-maybe… I could sing her a song instead.”
 
“No-no, Seul. Look. This is real. This is you and Eunae, this isn’t some kdrama and all that.” Wendy starts but her bestfriend’s only response was blinking in confusion. “What I meant is, this is your story to tell and you don’t have to go to such lengths just to say it. Eunae likes you a lot that whatever you say, even though you might struggle, I’m sure she could tell that it’s genuine and real.”
 
Once again, Wendy’s words were enough reassurance for Seulgi to take things on.
 
“What if she says no?”
 
Wendy smile grew dim by a fraction before she shakes it off and smiles.
 
“Well, we just have to think of another way for her to say yes.”
 
***
 
“Eunae, Eunae…”
 
Eunae’s snores halt to a stop before sleepily at whoever was yanking her leg. She barely had enough sleep after her talk with Nahyun last night, and she came this close to kicking whoever was tugging on her leg.
 
“What?” Eunae moans before checking on her phone, a slight disappointment when she didn’t see Seulgi’s name on her screen. Maybe the girl was still floating in her dreams too.
 
“You need to go downstairs.”
 
“Why?” She reasons out, not wanting to move one inch from her bed.
 
“Cause… there’s breakfast.”
 
Typical Kim Nahyun.
 
“You go bother Euijin…” Eunae responds before slumping back in bed.
 
“No… no… you have to get up, c’mon.”
 
Eunae whines once again, but Nahyun was never the type who takes no for an answer as she almost drags Eunae from the top bunk. If Nahyun has to drop her down, she probably would and would blame it on Eunae for not getting up.
 
“YAH! YAH! YAH! Stop! Stop! I’m up! I’m up!”
 
“Finally.”
 
Eunae sat up like a lifeless zombie, scratching her head before thrashing her legs.
 
“I’m just gonna change, and I’ll be there.”
 
“Oh C’mon, it’s not like you’re going anywhere.”
 
“Fine… fine.” Eunae jumps off from her top bunk.
 
***
 
If Eunae was looking for a reason to kill Nahyun, she found one now.
 
She drags herself lifelessly downstairs when the sight of who was waiting for her jolted every sleeping bone in her.
 
“Oh .” She hunched over, covering her chest with her arms as she walks downstairs with just her ratty, oversize shirt with no bra on and boxer shorts that barely covers anything.
 
And there was Seulgi, looking so gorgeous with a bouquet of flowers and chocolates as she stood right there in her dorm lobby.
 
“Najjang! I’m gonna kill you!”
 
“Well, do it after you talk to her, would you? Seulgi-shii!”
 
“YAH!” Eunae squeals as Nahyun calls for Seulgi’s attention. Seulgi turns over to them and flashes that bright smile at them.
 
“This is how she really looks like, get used to it.”
 
Seulgi, who is just the sweetest girl in the world, just smiles back.
 
“I’m… I’m just gonna change, Seulgi unnie. I’ll be back.”
 
“Wait… what? No… ummm… you have ummm… a very pretty bedroom face.” Seulgi says, and Seulgi wasn’t sure how long her moment of courage would stay before it passes on. “This is for you.”
 
Seulgi hands her the bouquet of flowers and chocolates.
 
“I…I…I didn’t know what kind of chocolates you really like, so I umm… got them all. Well, not all but you know… most. I ummm…”
 
“I like it, unnie.” Eunae’s silly flutters was enough to make her forget the state she was in.
 
“Can… can… can we talk?” Seulgi stumbles nervously, but Eunae just finds it to be quite adorable.
 
“Yeah of course.”
 
Eunae links her fingers with Seulgi before leading her over to the dorm swings. The swings was place almost strategically where it’s mostly hidden by the dorm’s hanging garden. Like it was curtained from any indecency that might go on. The swings was notorious around the dorm for when the girls cuddles or maybe even more. Most of the girls have experienced those, and for three years, Eunae never had those summer loves and flings that they wrote songs about, but now it's different. She has the love for all seasons.
 
“I… I like your dorm.” Seulgi starts it off, hoping it could brush away her nerves.
 
“Thank you. We’re going to stay here all through summer before we go back for the fall.”
 
“That’s cool… ummm. What the?!” Seulgi looks up and almost fell from her swings when she sees four familiar faces, eyeing her from behind the bushes. It was Yeri of course who shouts out first.
 
“KISS HER, UNNIE. KISS HER!”
 
“I’m… I’m… I’m so sorry about them.” Seulgi bows down in apology, Eunae just reassures her with a soft giggle and a pat on her thigh.
 
“It’s alright.” Eunae’s eyes disappear into crescents, but her look of wonder didn’t last long when she sees six idiots peering from the hanging gardens.
 
“I’m… I’m sorry Eunae…”
 
“For what?”
 
“I…I… I didn’t even ask if it’s okay for me to kiss you, I just did it because I… I ummm…”
 
Eunae’s pretty head swished from left to right. “You have nothing to say sorry about.”
 
A shy smile graces Seulgi’s lips before she admits. “You are my first kiss.”
 
“You’re mine too.”
 
And the two of them doubt that they’ll kiss anyone else ever again.
 
“I…I… I have something I want to say to you.”
 
Seulgi stood up in front of Eunae, before she pulls out a paper from a pocket. She looks like a nervous kid about to recite in front of her entire class. She clears before she is ready to begin,
 
“Ummm… actually, I’m very bad at saying stuff so I just wrote the lyrics of some songs.”
 
Eunae purses her lips, trying to spare Seulgi the embarrassment if she smiles at her face.
 
“It’s mostly SM songs…” Seulgi adds.
 
“I like SM.”
 
“Oh okay, ummm… ahhh…” Seulgi takes a deep breath, feeling the paper shaking from her grip. But then she gasps thinking, when did she forgot how to read and write? When everything that she wrote didn’t make any sense.
 
Seulgi could feel cold sweat dripping from her forehead, she was about to burst into tears when she felt Eunae’s hand lowering the paper she had.
 
“Unnie… you don’t have to use songs, whatever you say I would love to hear it.”
 
“Eunae I…” She takes another deep breath before pumping herself up.
 
Icandothis, icandothis, Icandothis…
 
“First time I saw you ummm… no… I… ahhh… Eunae, what I’m trying to say is… I really, really like you. I’m sorry I took your first kiss away, but ummm… I don’t regret it because I… I knew then that there is no one else in this world, I would kiss other than you.”
 
Eunae lowers her gaze to the ground, feeling her blush dusting her cheeks.
 
“Eunae I… I know we will be apart. And I know it’s not going to be easy but… but we can make it work. I ummm… I… I want to ask if you… if you want to be my girlfriend?”
 
Eunae was about to say her answer, but Seulgi was quick to add more reasons.
 
“I… I… I’ll ummm… I’ll call you every day, text you as much as I could. We could facetime and ummm… well… I could visit you every weekend if you want too.”
 
“No…”
 
Seulgi’s heart broke that instant, and she was ready to run out of there if only her legs weren’t paralyzed in the spot.
 
“What? No?”
 
“N-n-no… I meant…” Eunae shakes her head, trying to reassure Seulgi who looks like she’s about to burst into tears that, that wasn’t her answer. “I meant yes… I meant no… I meant you don’t have to ummm… visit every weekend. I… I could visit too.”
 
“You? You would?”
 
Eunae gently nods her head, a soft smile peeking in her lips.
 
“Yeah, maybe we could take turns?”
 
“Yeah, yeah. You- you want to be my girlfriend?”
 
Eunae who was never about words just nods and nods.
 
“It- it-it’s a yes, right?” Seulgi asked.
 
Eunae nods once again before finally saying, “Yes.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“SHE SAID YES! WE HEARD IT FROM HERE! WHY CAN’T YOU?!”
 
Eunae wraps her arms around Seulgi before she pulls her in a sweet embrace.
 
“Yes.” Eunae whispers but Seulgi could hear it loud and clear. “Yes. Yes. When it comes to you, unnie, my answer will always be yes.”
 
But before Seulgi could shriek in happiness, two group of girls jumps out from their poorly thought of hiding spot before yelling out loud enough to wake that sleeping dorm.
 
“YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! That’s my buddy!!!”
 
“Eunae has a girlfriend now!!!!!!”
 
“KISSSSSSSS!!!!! WITH TONGUE!!!!”
 
The two giggles before their eyes lock in a saccharine gaze. Both are usually the shy type when it comes to physical affection. But for once, they were bold with their actions as Seulgi moves closer and raises herself up to kiss Eunae on her forehead.
 
“One…”
 
Eunae giggles back, while Seulgi places a peck on the tip of Eunae’s nose, “Two.”
 
 
But before Seulgi could place a kiss on Eunae’s lips, Eunae beats her to it. The younger girl leans closer, laying her lips on Seulgi’s, letting their kiss linger before Eunae breathlessly whispers.
 
“Three.”
 
TBC
Hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy the update and thank you so much for reading, commenting, upvoting and subscribing. It makes me so happy to see people shipping these two babies. hehehehe.